• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
Only caught a bit of the debate towards the end, but it looked like Warren was turning it into McConnell vs Reid. Which is probably her best approach.

Not sure why she didn't say she will be there to combat GOP obstruction of Obama.

Obama is gonna win MA in a landslide. Brown winning there would be ridiculous

Farmboy

Good finish for Warren. It's about control of the Senate

She also mentioned the funds Brown raised on the premise that the GOP needs to hold this seat to have a chance at getting the majority. That argument has teeth, and evokes an image of Brown gladhandling all kinds of nebulous rightwing interests that should scare the average Independent voter in Mass. behind closed doors.

GhaleonEB

Only caught a bit of the debate towards the end, but it looked like Warren was turning it into McConnell vs Reid. Which is probably her best approach.

Polling has shown that by a wide margin in MA, people want Dems to be in control of the Senate. So it definately helps Warren to frame the race as being one that tip control one way or the other.

I'm not able to watch, but going from your post I'm just speculating that's what she tried to do.

HylianTom

Banned

Absolutely. Remind the voters of Massachusetts that a vote for Brown is a vote for our backwards/redneck senators down here in the south to run the committees and the whole chamber. Remind them that a GOP-controlled Senate will fight Obama's every move.

Given that Obama will win the state by nearly two-to-one, I would imagine that these could be effective points of attack.

giga

Erin Burnett is having a go at John Snu snu. Can someone tell me how this bloviating blowhard became governor of NH? I'm beginning to think NH is made up ex-CEOs, executives, directors, company presidents and VPs who got a golden parachutes in their companies.
This is funny, considering that Burnett leans right.

What's wrong with wanting to overturn cu? Winning the election doesn't mean they shouldn't fight it.
This exactly. The influence on money in politics is a poison that degrades the entire process. Throwing more money at it isn't helping matters, regardless of whether your chosen candidate wins.

teiresias

What's wrong with wanting to overturn cu? Winning the election doesn't mean they shouldn't fight it.

Manos just has a hard time realizing that not everyone is a cartoon villain like the Republicans and some people actually are interested in overturning CU on the simple basis that it perverts the democratic process and sees corporations as deserving of more rights than some of the minorities of this country.

There are obviously some Democrats that don't feel strongly enough that CU should be overturned, but he's always doing these juvenile arguments that essentially try to project the Repub viewpoint onto everyone in the country. It's fairly similar to political arguments I remember having in middle school.

Gruco

Banned
So I started reading up about the Kaine debate, as I didn't understand what was supposed to be so disastrous about "being open" to ensuring some kind of floor on taxes (note: I don't think it's the best policy response and implicitly cedes too much ground, but it's hard to look at "I'm open" as an expression and see anything other than reasonableness).

I was expecting to see republicans say something like "See, even Kaine recognizes this moocher thing is an issue, why can't Obama?"

Instead the response was "He wants to raise your taxes"

So.

When people don't pay income tax, it creates an entitled, dependent moocher class.

Therefore, any effort to increase their taxes will break the economy. Suggesting it means you are unfit for office.

I know republicans aren't supposed to make sense, but seriously?

Jackson50

Very true. It's still September, yo. Sprinkle in a surprisingly good Romney debate performance and he's back on his feet.
So? Rmoney's recent implosion has only expanded Obama's advantage. Obama was already winning prior to Romney's recent hiccups. He's been ensconced as the moderate favorite for a while. The fundamentals are not going to magically change in six weeks. There's nothing to fear.
How does setting a date to withdraw from Afghanistan allow attackers to pick us off one by one? Huh?
Republicans have been belaboring this point for years. The lack of an answer is revelatory.

Warren comes off like a third grade teacher, and she can be shrill. It remains to be seen whether she's just getting a temporary bump or whether dems are finally coming home in MA. I thought she clearly won the debate, and you could tell Brown was agitated and very nervous.

If Warren wins she'll probably be in the senate as long as she wants.

Jackson50

Warren comes off like a third grade teacher, and she can be shrill. It remains to be seen whether she's just getting a temporary bump or whether dems are finally coming home in MA. I thought she clearly won the debate, and you could tell Brown was agitated and very nervous.

If Warren wins she'll probably be in the senate as long as she wants.
What are you sensing?

Durask

So I'm still trying to figure out what the fear about Obama's pallin' around with radicals is supposed to suggest that he'd do in his second term.

I never said those are related. This just colors my perception of the person but ultimately whether I like or dislike someone does not influence my guesses of how they will behave or my assessment of whether they are good for me, bad for me or neutral.

I like Scott Brown but that doesn't change the fact that his office is a mess and he is losing many independent votes because perception is that his office is difficult to reach.

I did not like the late Edward Kennedy but his office ran like an incredible well oiled machine.

Unless its now his secret radical plan to do what he's been talking about all along and raise taxes for higher income earners to Clinton levels.

That's what Obama was talking, I am not sure the Democratic Party will stop at that if they have overwhelming majority. Plenty of their constituents in this thread desire far more radical changes.

Growth and maintenance is an unease I can understand, although I'm not sure which new ones are being worried about. Healthcare reform has been Obama's signature issue, and its now about implementation and focusing on strategies to reduce costs.

You will not be able to reduce healthcare costs in any meaningful way without nasty austerity measures which will get everyone involved voted out of office. Feel free to start another thread about it and we can argue about it if you want.

Clevinger

That's what Obama was talking, I am not sure the Democratic Party will stop at that if they have overwhelming majority. Plenty of their constituents in this thread desire far more radical changes.

They really don't. Democrats, the party and the voters, have been moving further and further right (on most issues) for decades.

I'd honestly give you the advice of reading a lot about Democrats from FDR up until LBJ, and then look at what Obama and congressional Democrats are doing and saying and you'll see you have zero to worry about.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I say it's a minor bump and voters will realize they don't want an extremist representing them.

(I support Warren, I just don't think voters will)

So this is going to propel her to victory! Had to run that through my PD translation program but you heard it here first folks!

Gruco

Banned
Just imagine if the Democratic Party had the white house, 60 seats in the senate, and 257 seats in the house.

It'd probably take them less than 4 months to permanently and radically change america.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You will not be able to reduce healthcare costs in any meaningful way without nasty austerity measures which will get everyone involved voted out of office. Feel free to start another thread about it and we can argue about it if you want.

That makes zero sense.

Just imagine if the Democratic Party had the white house, 60 seats in the senate, and 257 seats in the house.

It'd probably take them less than 4 months to permanently and radically change america.

Stop dreaming so big. It's getting my hopes up. That won't ever happen :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Getting Dems to agree on anything is like trying to herd cats, we can hope but I doubt it.

Measley

NBC/Marist Polls for those that missed them:
Iowa 50-42
Colorado 50-45
Wisconsin 50-45

Obama leads in all 3.

Denzel-Washington-Making-Smoking-Even-Cooler.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom