• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Give us Latinos more time, you'll get Arizona too. Its like the Democratic version of the Republican southern strategy. Simple, too: don't be a racist, hateful bigot political party.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Watching the two appearances on Univision gives you an idea of how competent these two candidates are.

I saw Romney but missed Obama, how was he? And how did Univision treat him? I always expect fairness or at least perspective from them, because Latino issues are so specific and different, with mild tentacles into "mainstream" issues like abortion, etc.

pigeon

Banned
I still can't tell whether Herman Cain is a serious person, or an elaborate Stephen Colbert impersonation turned up to 11.

He's a lot like Mitt Romney, really, except with an actual record of success in business. All you have to remember is that Cain's goal is very clear and actually stated openly here -- he isn't interested in politics, he's interested in a job in conservative media. Pretending to be interested in politics is a prerequisite for that, just like pretending to be interested in economics long enough to get a degree is a prerequisite for Wall Street.

Cain has a BS in math and a Masters in computer science from Purdue. He worked as a ballistics analyst for the Navy before he became a business analyst with Coca-Cola and Pillsbury. So his current role is not distinct from Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, or several other people who clearly aren't really interested in politics so much as they are the success that goes along with it. To the degree that he seems louder and more ridiculous, well, you can chalk that up to the intrinsic racism of the America media and the conservative media in particular.

Cain has a BS in math and a Masters in computer science from Purdue. He worked as a ballistics analyst for the Navy before he became a business analyst with Coca-Cola and Pillsbury. So his current role is not distinct from Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, or several other people who clearly aren't really interested in politics so much as they are the success that goes along with it. To the degree that he seems louder and more ridiculous, well, you can chalk that up to the intrinsic racism of the America media and the conservative media in particular.

Wow. Impressive. How can be be that smart and that crazy?
Religion

RDreamer

He's a lot like Mitt Romney, really, except with an actual record of success in business. All you have to remember is that Cain's goal is very clear and actually stated openly here -- he isn't interested in politics, he's interested in a job in conservative media. Pretending to be interested in politics is a prerequisite for that, just like pretending to be interested in economics long enough to get a degree is a prerequisite for Wall Street.

I don't get what you're saying here.

At the VA rally:
"My opponent says I'll get the job changed from the inside. What kind of 'inside job' is he talking about?

“We don’t want an inside job in Washington, we want change in Washington.”

Obama flipped it pretty well

TiVo

Wow. Impressive. How can be be that smart and that crazy?
Religion

LOL, not to derail thread or offend but every time I watch those Sunday morning religious mega church shows on TV. The ones with karate chops to drive out demons, waving into a crowd that falls down shaking, send me x amount of dollars for this sacred oil or prayer cloth and as the camera pans the faces of parishioners as their lips tremble and tears roll down their faces I cant help but realize that these people are lawyers, judges, politicians, teachers, police, etc. And then I continue watching my Saturday morning cartoons and Thank God I am an atheist.

Yeah I know the last sentence makes no sense, kinda like religion.

Gallup is really the biggest outlier here, as a few people have been writing about. As Nate Cohn noted, everybody would be ignoring it if it weren't called Gallup -- and contrariwise, if Gallup were aligning with the other non-Ras polls, there would be no question that Obama was running away with it. But hey, even Gallup isn't perfect. Silver notes that if the polls look like this next week, it's basically over.

I suspect the fat lady will clear her throat on sunday evening, when PPP releases it's presidential poll.

Dram

Boehner: Romney hurting in Ohio because of Kasich

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/09/boehner-romney-hurting-in-ohio-because-of-kasich-136286.html?hp=l3

Mitt Romney is struggling in Ohio because Republican Gov. John Kasich has succeeded at healing the state's economy, the nation's top elected Republican said Friday.

Speaker John Boehner, who has represented Ohio in the House since 1991, said he always expected a close race between President Barack Obama and Romney. But Kasich — Boehner's friend from his days in Congress — has undercut Romney's central argument by improving the employment picture in the state."

"One of the things that probably works against Romney in Ohio is the fact that Gov. Kasich has done such a good job of fixing government regulations in the state, attracting new businesses to the state," Boehner said Friday. "Our unemployment rate in Ohio is lower than the national average as a matter of fact, I think it's a full point lower than the national average. So as a result people are still concerned about jobs in Ohio but it certainly isn't like you see in some other states."

kehs

Banned
I saw Romney but missed Obama, how was he? And how did Univision treat him? I always expect fairness or at least perspective from them, because Latino issues are so specific and different, with mild tentacles into "mainstream" issues like abortion, etc.

Jorge went hard on him on immigration.

Jorge: What's up with immigration?

Obama: Well the economy and shit man, crazy times.

J: Economy schmanamy, you broke a promise

O: Yup, my bad boo, but I'm making it up now!

J:alrigh, alright

later on in the conversation when asked about his biggest failure thus far...

O: As jorge so adamantly pointed out, I failed on immigration.

They also tried to get him to say who was at fault for the embassy attacks. "What is Iran?!" lol

You can watch it here http://noticias.univision.com/destino-2012/videos/encuentro-barack-obama-english/

KingGondo

Banned

Brinbe

1jDys.jpg

pigeon

Banned
I don't get what you're saying here.

Fox News's demographic is highly racist -- but obviously they won't, in the main, admit to it. They'll say they like black people but that they get too much special treatment and that racism is not a big deal any more. But then, at Thanksgiving dinner, they'll talk about how Obama doesn't seem like their picture of a President -- or, to put it another way, that being President isn't something they see black people doing. Or they'll say that Obama's "professorial" or "condescending" -- meaning that he doesn't act the way they think black people should act.

So if you want to be a successful black guy on Fox News, it'll help a lot if you can fit one of the racist caricatures that black people are expected to be -- and when it comes to politics and social issues, that caricature is basically the caricature of a Baptist preacher. Loud, boisterous, big gestures, kind of ridiculous, and kind of stupid. (And I'll note that we saw some Baptist barnburning in the Democratic Black Caucus as well -- nothing wrong with that intrinsically, as long as they don't pretend to be stupid.) Compare to Michael Steele, who doesn't have to be successful on Fox any more.

Basically, it's a minstrel show.

RDreamer

Fox News's demographic is highly racist -- but obviously they won't, in the main, admit to it. They'll say they like black people but that they get too much special treatment and that racism is not a big deal any more. But then, at Thanksgiving dinner, they'll talk about how Obama doesn't seem like their picture of a President -- or, to put it another way, that being President isn't something they see black people doing. Or they'll say that Obama's "professorial" or "condescending" -- meaning that he doesn't act the way they think black people should act.

So if you want to be a successful black guy on Fox News, it'll help a lot if you can fit one of the racist caricatures that black people are expected to be -- and when it comes to politics and social issues, that caricature is basically the caricature of a Baptist preacher. Loud, boisterous, big gestures, kind of ridiculous, and kind of stupid. (And I'll note that we saw some Baptist barnburning in the Democratic Black Caucus as well -- nothing wrong with that intrinsically, as long as they don't pretend to be stupid.) Compare to Michael Steele, who doesn't have to be successful on Fox any more.

Basically, it's a minstrel show.

Ah, alright then, that makes sense.

Mitt's debate problem is that he won't be debating within a vacuum. He'll have to explain his 47% comments, he'll have to spin his abortion beliefs, he'll have to explain how his health care plan is different from Obama's, and perhaps most of all he'll have to explain how he is different from Bush. If this was just a debate between a competent governor and a failed president he'd win. Instead it's a debate between a failed presidential candidate and a failed president - Obama will win that unless something crazy happens

Loudninja

Paul Ryan Booed At AARP For Attacking Obamacare
"The first step to a stronger Medicare is to repeal Obbamacare," he said to a shower of jeers. "I had a feeling there would be mixed reaction, so let me get into it. It weakens medicare for today's seniors and puts it at risk for the next generation. First, it funnels $716 billion out of Medicare to pay for a new entitlement we didn't even ask for. Second, it puts 15 unelected bureaucrats in charge of medicare's future."

Ryan was booed repeatedly as he continued to attack the bill, especially after he said the law "turned Medicare into a piggy bank for Obamacare."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/paul-ryan-booed-at-aarp-for-attacking-obamacare

RDreamer

Mitt's debate problem is that he won't be debating within a vacuum. He'll have to explain his 47% comments, he'll have to spin his abortion beliefs, he'll have to explain how his health care plan is different from Obama's, and perhaps most of all he'll have to explain how he is different from Bush. If this was just a debate between a competent governor and a failed president he'd win. Instead it's a debate between a failed presidential candidate and a failed president - Obama will win that unless something crazy happens

Oh, you.

Yeah he did work with the Navy for R&D (IIRC), its' why when Lawrence O'Donnell tried to pull some draft dodging claim on him (which was insanely untrue) everyone dogpilled on O'Donnell for being a moron.

O'Donnell IS a moron. I can't watch him or Schultz. Honestly it makes MSNBC looks bad that these two idiots are on TV every night (Sharpton too, for that matter).

Yes, Olbermann was a blowhard but at least he was entertaining as hell. These guys have no intrinsic or entertainment value. Maddow and Matthews are the only guys I watch at night on MSNBC.

RDreamer

O'Donnell IS a moron. I can't watch him or Schultz. Honestly it makes MSNBC looks bad that these two idiots are on TV every night (Sharpton too, for that matter).

Yes, Olbermann was a blowhard but at least he was entertaining as hell. These guys have no intrinsic or entertainment value. Maddow and Matthews are the only guys I watch at night on MSNBC.

Chris Hayes needs a nightly show to replace one of those two.

GhaleonEB

Actually, he doesn't. He knows how to pick good companies to invest in. But he really doesn't have all that much experience running companies.

That was just a crack at the campaign bonuses. Take other people's money, run the org into the ground, take home fat bonuses. Profit.

O'Donnell is not a moron. He worked in the Senate and has good knowledge of the place. O'Donnell sometimes does go off on a bad tangent passionately though. Sometimes it is hilarious and other times it is a mess (like that draft-dodging one mentioned). O'Donnell did the screaming at an empty chair bit long before Clint Eastwood when some guest pussied out and did not show up.

I bet he gets thrown into the penalty box some time before the election by going off on Mormonism though . . . he thinks it is crazy and a bit evil due to the racism inherent in it.

Ed Schultz . . . he's the weak link. But like I always say, it helps to have the gun-toting beer-drinking Mid-western football player advocate for the Dems.

ToxicAdam

While Ohio's economy is doing better, it's not what I would call healthy. Many parts of the state have been in the tank for so long that companies are starting to come back because people are desperate for work at near minimum wage pay.

I just read the other day that the median wage in Ohio has fell to a 27 year low and more people are in poverty than ever (since they have been keeping track).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/09/14/median-income-in-ohio-hits-27-year-low.html

I had put that interview out of my mind. And that wasn't even the worst of it.

Really? I never watched it, just heard a synopsis what else happened?

Yeah, truthfully I never watch any of those shows (on either side) I'm more of a I just want news and not commentary.

Oh I ever tell anyone about how CNN was out for some reason during the 2008 elections and ONLY Fox came in. It was a fun night, though honestly the hosts were respectful and polite and professional.

Kosmo

Banned
O'Donnell is not a moron. He worked in the Senate and has good knowledge of the place. O'Donnell sometimes does go off on a bad tangent passionately though.

Pretty sure he's a moron - like suggesting that mentioning Obama's golfing is an attempt to equate him to Tiger Woods and Tiger's "lifestyle" - chasing cocktail waitresses, etc.

I don't think I've ever seen less reasoned and more partisan hackery.

Forever

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/barack-obama-super-pac-fundraising_n_1902513.html

WASHINGTON -- Just as the tables have turned for the fundraising operation of President Barack Obama's campaign, so have things changed for the super PAC backing his bid. Priorities USA Action, run by former White House aide Bill Burton, raised $10.1 million in August, the most it has ever raised. The group also lead the way among other super PACs for the first time, beating out the conservative groups that have dominated the chase for unlimited money.

Trailing Priorities for the first time are the top two conservative groups Restore Our Future, which is run by former aides to Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, and American Crossroads, founded by Karl Rove. Restore Our Future pulled in $7.1 million in August, and American Crossroads raised $9.4 million.

Priorities pulled in its big haul by getting mega-donors to chip in with large contributions. Hedge fund executive James Simons gave $2 million, Texas trial lawyer Steve Mostyn and Cox Enterprises owner Anne Cox Chambers each chipped in $1 million, lawyer Michael Snow gave $750,000, and LGBT activist Jon Stryker, Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos, Stewart Bainum and Ann Wyckoff each added $500,000.

The group's founder, former White House aide Bill Burton, said that the reason Democrats are giving is because of "the proximity to election day, and [they are] trying to find the best way to be helpful."

"As Democrats really look at the race, the fundamentals are very, very tight," Burton said. "And even in this moment right now where Mitt Romney is proven to be a far more untalented candidate than we thought he was; even so the race is still very, very close. And so, I think Democrats recognize that and have been stepping up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom