• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
FOX News is so whack. Last night I was listening to C2CAM as I was going to bed and they said on the news break Obama had no campaign events scheduled for Friday. Obama is in Virginia today and held a rally.

massoluk

Banned
So basically, in response to critics asking if he actually paid tax in the last ten years, he is releasing summary of the past 20 years, totally not looking like he's padding the number of the last decade with the decade prior... The hell is wrong with you Romney Campaign.

EDIT: nevermind, may be im just being too hasty, so may be they'll release everything except by items huh?

Not in that way - here is a better line, if he can make it without being a rich schmuck about it: "Look, the President can say all he wants about those comments from last May. The fact is, I have given away over 30% of my income to help the the people he says I don't care about. Conversely, he hasn't given a dime to his own half brother who lives in poverty in Kenya."

Agreed. He gave 30% to the 47%, Obama gave nothing to his own brother. I can't think of many things more out of touch than that.

3rdman

What a fucking charlatan...

He knew that he would be running for president well in advance of filling last year's returns so he packed it with as a high a charitable amount as he could.

1. First and foremost, most of that money went to the church...not soup kitchen or homeless shelters. They may get help from the church but regardless, it's a bit too self-serving.

2. This reminds us all about his previous years. At this point (even if he is not) it gives the impression that he is hiding something...money stuffed in the Cayman's or other off-shore accounts and would obviously make him look bad.

Mitt's debate problem is that he won't be debating within a vacuum. He'll have to explain his 47% comments, he'll have to spin his abortion beliefs, he'll have to explain how his health care plan is different from Obama's, and perhaps most of all he'll have to explain how he is different from Bush. If this was just a debate between a competent governor and a failed president he'd win. Instead it's a debate between a failed presidential candidate and a failed president - Obama will win that unless something crazy happens

Seriously? Don't do that dude. We count on you to be one of the few sane and reasonable, conservative posters here.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah, Bill Maher was right. He didn't want to release his tax returns because he didn't want people to see just how much money he was donating to his cult

Wow. Yeah, that is exactly what's going on here. Except for this is exactly the type of donation he had on his previous return he had released. Great job on the cult comment, though.

AlteredBeast: I understand your own devotion to the church and I respect your desire to consider things in your own terms, but I'm really not joking when I personally consider Romney to be an excellent spokesperson for the church organization. Moneyed business types in a corporate structure with a sketchy record that need to open their finances.

Sure, they've done good, but my opinion of their net value is not high.

I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree with your premise.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Romney is a genius. We had forgotten about his taxes, his mormonism and his offshore wealth, focusing instead on his other retarded shit. And now he sends out a giant reminder with more questions than answers.

Who is running his campaign? Blackberry?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Romney is a genius. We had forgotten about his taxes, his mormonism and his offshore wealth, focusing instead on his other retarded shit. And now he sends out a giant reminder with more questions than answers.

Who is running his campaign? Blackberry?

Nokia

LOL! PD isn't conservative.

Hooked another one...

Vestal

The Romneys’ generous charitable donations in 2011 would have significantly reduced their tax obligation for the year. The Romneys thus limited their deduction of charitable contributions to conform to the Governor's statement in August, based upon the January estimate of income, that he paid at least 13% in income taxes in each of the last 10 years.

"Frankly, if I had paid more than are legally due, I don't think I'd be qualified to become president," he said. "I'd think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires."

Haha.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That was always going to happen, the summary was a dumb idea

Yep, should have just released the one complete year.
There are some tidbits conservatives can point at, but it does raise more questions then answers.

Crisco

Banned
Attacking Islam=racism. Attacking Mormonism=perfectly ok

Who cares that he is Mormon outside of you people? Polls show Americans don't care

No one is attacking Mormonism. We're attacking the idea that donating to it is considered charitable. Giving money to an organization that already has tens of billions in assets isn't charitable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Attacking Islam=racism. Attacking Mormonism=perfectly ok

Who cares that he is Mormon outside of you people? Polls show Americans don't care
In general: Attacking Catholic leaders = ok. Attacking Catholics = not ok.

Hypocrites shouldn't be shielded regardless.

DasRaven

I wonder if the next set of Castellanos' Purple Strategies poll numbers for Romney/Ryan will suffer because of today's news.
Alex Castellanos on summary - Is this a joke?

News summary tonight:
-Ryan booed by AARP
-Romney releases cooked 2011 tax return and limited 'summary' of last 20 years
-Romney/Ryan has 50% the cash-on-hand as Obama/Biden

This will do wonders for shaking that "We're panicking because we're losing." narrative.

Diablos

can you imagine what obama's margin would be if he actually, gasp, followed through on his promises such as bringing unemployment down to 6%, curbing the rise of the oceans, and closing gitmo? obama lucks out again with a subpar opponent.
The sad thing is that Mitt was the GOP's best shot.

What happens to excess funds from incumbent presidential campaigns?
It all goes to Mitt Romney.

Hey GAF, I voted today! First time in a presidential election. Filling in that circle next to Obama's name felt so good, man.

It felt even better filling in the circle next to the anti-gay marriage amendment.

Kosmo

Banned
Good god this campaign is run by idiots. I can't wait for someone to ask about if he's qualified since he can't do taxes properly

Mitt doesn't take deductions because he wants the optics of paying a higher tax rate.
Buffet takes every deduction he can find, then complains he should pay more.

PoliGAF slams Mitt, attacks anyone who suggest Buffet should just pay more if he wants. Gotta love political discussion.

I will laugh when people here are up in arms after Romney loses and he files an amended return to get his money back.

Vestal

In basketball terms this is what is called a "Reverse Dagger", or what James Harden did in the finals.

"Frankly, if I had paid more than are legally due, I don't think I'd be qualified to become president," he said. "I'd think people would want me to follow the law and pay only what the tax code requires."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom