• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 more years of nothing getting done, sure. But the 4 years nonsense is just baloney.

Saving 4.2 million jobs with the stimulus and the auto bailout
Creating another 4.6 million jobs over the last 30 months
Lowering taxes on the middle class and small business
Passing Health Care Reform
Doubling Pell Grants and cutting Student Loan Costs
Financial Regulation reform
Repealing DADT
Ending the War in Iraq
Killing Bin Ladin and other Al Queda operatives
Liberating Libya from Khadafi
Passing Lily Ledbetter Act

You can disagree with his policies, but not with the record - Obama has gotten more done in his first two years than Bush got in 8 and Bush didn't have this aggressive opposition. The Difference is that Obama believes the Federal Govt should get stuff done, Republicans believe the Federal Govt should do as little as possible.

Ah the "saved jobs" fairy again...

Obama got stuff done, he didn't get the right stuff done. Hence why this race is relatively close nationally and why he'd be losing big against a decent challenger.

I gotta say I'm disappointed by Coulter's comments. Usually she manages to strike a nerve at the least. This comment is just a lazy attempt at divide/conquer. Does she expect that to be a winning message for Romney/conservatives? "Hey blacks, Obama cares more about Hispanics than you guys. Vote Romney or stay home." Good luck with that.

Vahagn

Ah the "saved jobs" fairy again...

Obama got stuff done, he didn't get the right stuff done. Hence why this race is relatively close nationally and why he'd be losing big against a decent challenger.

When 9 in 10 economists surveyed say he saved 4.0 million jobs, I don't call it a fairy.

Food for thought: Stock Market Crashed in 1929, by the time FDR replaced the republican Wilson in the 1932 election and years later...we were in a full blown depression that Republicans in the Presidency were unable to prevent. (Coolidge was also Republican 1923-1929)

This time? A Democrat got sworn in 5 months after the stock market crash and the resulting economic shrinking which rivaled Great Depression levels and he made the bleeding stop in a year. We've been adding jobs and growing ever since, by all accounts, a great depression was averted due to government intervention, and Obama's policies.

If you think this is a coincidence, you basically deny all economic study on the matter and the effect of Keynesian economics as a whole.

Side Note: After Reconstruction, Black People in the south started getting elected into government positions during the latter part of the 19th century, including to the United States Congress. As a Purely Reactionary measure, the south instituted Jim Crown Laws and segregation and a reactionary movement was created. Not because the Black people in Congress sucked at their jobs, but because people in the south were racist bigots. This is the same thing that's happening in the 2012 election and has little or nothing to do with Obama's performance. Obama hasn't accomplished everything he set out in his nomination speech, but that was before the Economic Collapse, the Collapse of the Stock Market and Lehman Brothers.

That's effectively like blaming a construction company for promising one set of prices for a room addition, a month later you burn the entire house down, then blame the construction company for changing their costs and time estimates to reflect the new condition of your house.

Forever

Banned
This is out of context. Right? Please say this out of context. Please.

Lawd.

lawd.gif

Drakeon

He just said it... but he's talking about why Capital Gains taxes should be lower than Income Taxes.

That... that doesn't make it ok.

Capital Gains should not be taxed differently then income, it should be taxed the same. Romney is a great argument as to why that should be.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
He just said it... but he's talking about why Capital Gains taxes should be lower than Income Taxes.

It's a belief without basis though. If capital gains is 33% or even 50%, it doesn't change the fact that stocks can double your money fastest. People aren't going to switch to gold or bonds because then they have worse return and the same tax rate.

Having capital gains so low allows people like Romney to continue to be so damn wealthy without being smart with money. I think it's why his campaign sucks so much ass. He has never had to genuinely work for something. He thought he could buy himself the Presidency. Problem is Obama has innate talent and is a fairly good politician.

HylianTom

Banned
it's not the beginning of a week without new romney gaffe to jumpstart it afterall

That's a good thing. If we're blessed with another Romney-centered topic to talk about (thus distracting from the economy), then that'll probably get us all the way to Debate #1. Every week, he gives us a gift or two.. such a generous man.

teh_pwn

it's not the beginning of a week without new romney gaffe to jump start it after all

And it's a fundamental problem with Romney that won't go away. That guy just has a warped view on reality, and he has a product that people don't want. I'm amazed that Obama is only on track for a small electoral landslide with the stuff Romney keeps doing. Obama should be 10 points ahead with Romney's historical gaffes.

He's cornered on this issue now. There is no satisfactory answer he can give. Hiding behind "economic growth" is probably the best card for him to play at this point because he has no intention on fixing the tax rates.

I look forward to the additional bruising he'll be getting over that answer.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
He's wrong. He's just arguing supply side economics.

True. Cyan posted a graph a long while ago that showed the rate of investment against the capital gains rate and it basically had no correlation. In other words, if we raised Capital gains to match income, we would not only collect a crapload of more tax revenue, but also make things more fair.

Ouch. That was rough. FreeRepublic is going to see this and swear up and down that Fox News is now "corrupted" and part of the Liberal Media.

*giggle*

You laugh, but I honestly just saw a post there to that effect.

Freep is in full on "Real Silent Majority America Wants Romney" mode so they can mentally set themselves up for "Obama stole the election!" come November.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
True. Cyan posted a graph a long while ago that showed the rate of investment against the capital gains rate and it basically had no correlation. In other words, if we raised Capital gains to match income, we would not only collect a crapload of more tax revenue, but also make things more fair.
Plus if we encourage money flow to people who can actually keep it flowing, then we get economic growth.

Vestal

Well Gaf I just did my part, starting tommorow after work I will be volunteering at the Obama Office here in Clearwater Florida, doing Voter registration, data entry, and anything else I can do.

I did see alot of Voter Registration papers coming in.

Well Gaf I just did my part, starting tommorow after work I will be volunteering at the Obama Office here in Clearwater Florida, doing Voter registration, data entry, and anything else I can do.

I did see alot of Voter Registration papers coming in.

When do you get your first field assignment to register those at the local cemeteries?

Vahagn

I'm surprised at how well Republicans take things that should be absolute deal breakers and spin it to just something else they have to overcome.

thefro

I'm surprised at how well Republicans take things that should be absolute deal breakers and spin it to just something else they have to overcome.

Romney just said something along the lines of "a great leader is someone who you know where they stand" which would be perfect for a flip-flop ad.

Chichikov

Context:

(PELLEY) Now you made, on your investments, personally, about $20 million last year. And you paid 14% in federal taxes. That's the capital gains rate. Is that fair to the guy who makes $50,000 and paid a higher rate than you did?

(ROMNEY) It is a low rate. And one of the reasons why the capital gains tax rate is lower is because capital has already been taxed once at the corporate level, as high as 35%.

( PELLEY) So you think it is fair.

(ROMNEY) Yeah, I-- I think it's the right way to encourage economic growth-- to get people to invest, to start businesses, to put people to work.​

That... that doesn't make it ok.

Capital Gains should not be taxed differently then income, it should be taxed the same. Romney is a great argument as to why that should be.
I've been saying that since he clinch the nomination . . . good luck for the GOP winning the election with a guy that makes $20 million paying 13.9% tax rate while many ordinary people pay a much higher tax rate. Many people didn't realize that is the way that it works now and with Mitt Romney as the candidate this little-known information will get wider distribution and may back-fire on the GOP.

gcubed

From Greg Sargent:

i have high, unrealistic hopes that Bibi is burning all kinds of bridges in the US and Obama formally tells him to go fuck himself after the election. Israel isn't as big a deal in US electoral politics as it used to be, and supporting a war mongering nation isn't going to continue to be popular. Hitch your wagon to the GOP... hopefully Obama grows a set of balls.

(ROMNEY) It is a low rate. And one of the reasons why the capital gains tax rate is lower is because capital has already been taxed once at the corporate level, as high as 35%.

OH YOU FUCKING LYING PIECE OF SHIT, MITT!

That is ONLY true for dividends from C-Corps. That is not true for your stock gains (which is what most of your income probably is).

Rhetorical sleight of hand.
Is it an out-right lie. That is only true for some capital gains. It is as true as saying "White people are Nazis."

Tim-E

It's like Romney just can't bare to go a few days without providing the news networks with material to hammer him on. He feels incomplete unless he's getting ripped apart. What a god-awful candidate.

teh_pwn

Romney worked so hard sitting on his ass while his millions earned on average 9% per year. Surely that doesn't deserved to be taxed. That dude that works 60 hours a week to make 50k for his family is a freeloader and should be taxed more, or something.

"Already taxed". Yeah, bullshit. Is a small business owner exempted from taxes because the income from last year was already taxed and that money was used to buy capital equipment that led to increased income this year? No, then why should it be any different from stocks.

Vestal

It's like Romney just can't bare to go a few days without providing the news networks with material to hammer him on. He feels incomplete unless he's getting ripped apart. What a god-awful candidate.

I am convinced he is intentionall tanking this election.. No one can be this inept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom