• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Greg Sargent:

Is there a statute of limitations on how long someone can be referred to as 'Governor' or is that always what someone like Romney or Palin will be called because it is the highest office they have held? I get why someone like Hannity would refer to those two as Governor but is it always the appropriate title?

Paches

Is there a statute of limitations on how long someone can be referred to as 'Governor' or is that always what someone like Romney or Palin will be called because it is the highest office they have held? I get why someone like Hannity would refer to those two as Governor but is it always the appropriate title?

It is pretty standard as far as I know.

Vahagn

Why do people keep falling for that "already taxed" line.

Sure, if you invest in stocks without putting that investment into an IRA account to avoid paying taxes on your principal, the money you originally invest is after tax money. But the income you make from that investment has never been taxed. And you only get taxed on capital gains not on original investment amount.

It's a straight lie, and anyone who claims it is either a gigantic douche bag willing to say anything to give themselves more tax breaks, or doesn't understand the basics of how investments work. I have a feeling Romney is in the former category.

gcubed

i think if you quit, you shouldn't be given the respect.

Kettch

I would have loved to see what a general election campaign against Herman Cain would've looked like.

Campaigning against Herman would've simply sped up the Cain Train. Would've been better off saving the money and letting it go where it goes.

Why do people keep falling for that "already taxed" line.

Sure, if you invest in stocks without putting that investment into an IRA account to avoid paying taxes on your principal, the money you originally invest is after tax money. But the income you make from that investment has never been taxed. And you only get taxed on capital gains not on original investment amount.

It's a straight lie, and anyone who claims it is either a gigantic douche bag willing to say anything to give themselves more tax breaks, or doesn't understand the basics of how investments work. I have a feeling Romney is in the former category.

Well he's talking directly about corporate taxes and then a hypothetical additional tax on the profit passthrough to shareholders. But Speculawyer already did the bitch slapping for that point.

So he's still full of shit.

pigeon

Banned

You're not technically supposed to be called Governor at all after you leave office (according to the books), but in practice they'll be called Governor forever.

i think if you quit, you shouldn't be given the respect.

No disagreement here.

You're not technically supposed to be called Governor at all after you leave office (according to the books), but in practice they'll be called Governor forever.

What I figured. I would think you would have to put the word 'Former' in front of it because, well, there is someone currently holding that position.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Romney worked so hard sitting on his ass while his millions earned on average 9% per year. Surely that doesn't deserved to be taxed. That dude that works 60 hours a week to make 50k for his family is a freeloader and should be taxed more, or something.

"Already taxed". Yeah, bullshit. Is a small business owner exempted from taxes because the income from last year was already taxed and that money was used to buy capital equipment that led to increased income this year? No, then why should it be any different from stocks.

Actually, yes, he is. Maybe he's not exempt on sales taxes for the equipment, but he could file an amended tax return that includes the cost of the equipment (or in other words, lowers his net income for the year by the cost of the equipment. Revenues - expenses.)

Or he can tailor the amortization/depreciation schedule for the new equipment to minimize his taxes.

Businesses get a great deal of flexibility when it coems to taxes compared to families. If we taxed businesses like we taxed people, taxes would be on revenues, with some deductions for certain expenses (Property, Plant, and Equipment, for instance)

I still want to know what PD thinks about African Americans being more excited to vote than any other group.
The polls are misleading, they're only getting the unemployed blacks.

Everyone knows romney will win half of the black vote

Dax01 said:
Bad news for Obama. Dude's gotta lot of work to do if he wants to win by a bigger margin than 2008.
If Obama gets so much as 1 vote less than he did in 2008, it's truly a victory for the Republicans.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It is a true shame that even if Democrats got control of both houses and retain the presidency, they will probably still pass on the necessary tax increases.

They will probably just got for some variation of the Buffett Rule, which will only affect a very small amount of people and do nothing for the deficit.

Here is to hoping they even just go back to 1998. That would be nice. :)

Forever

Banned
As terrible a politician as Romney is, I think it's clear that McCain's campaign was far more inept. He was dead broke, he had no ground game whatsoever, he did crazy old man shit, and he picked Sarah Palin. Then he got desperate, went negative, and lost anyway in a landslide.

Romney is well funded and has a much better ground game than McCain did, even if it's not a match for Obama's.

There is no way that Obama wins by more than he did in 2008. The stars aligned for him back then.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Romney is making it pretty easy, though. If the country had any ounce of sense, it would be as big as/bigger than 2008. At least McCain was a seemingly honorable person at some point in his life. Shame he picked that soulless empty-headed Palin, when he could have at least taken someone honorable.

Apparently Republican party ID has dropped like a rock recently. I believe Obama's pollsters said they were seeing the same thing, which is why they subtract 2 from Obama's count in their internal polling.

According to FL breakdown, statewide Dems have a +5 advantage. Even then a +3 advantage points to higher enthusiasm in the LV model.

Their CO PDF link is broken, so can't check the breakdown there yet.

Edit: Their CO poll has to D party ID advantage. And actually the Latino ID is down -2 from 2008 exits.

As terrible a politician as Romney is, I think it's clear that McCain's campaign was far more inept. He was dead broke, he had no ground game whatsoever, he did crazy old man shit, and he picked Sarah Palin. Then he got desperate, went negative, and lost anyway in a landslide.

Romney is well funded and has a much better ground game than McCain did, even if it's not a match for Obama's.

There is no way that Obama wins by more than he did in 2008. The stars aligned for him back then.

He's well funded because he personally has connections out the wazoo. This doesn't speak to his ability as a politician.

Paches

Uhhhh

Mitt Romney, On 60 Minutes, Cites Emergency Room As Health Care Option For Uninsured

"Well, we do provide care for people who don't have insurance," he said in an interview with Scott Pelley of CBS's "60 Minutes" that aired Sunday night. "If someone has a heart attack, they don't sit in their apartment and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care. And different states have different ways of providing for that care."

This constitutes a dramatic reversal in position for Romney, who passed a universal health care law in Massachusetts, in part, to eliminate the costs incurred when the uninsured show up in emergency rooms for care.

According to FL breakdown, statewide Dems have a +5 advantage. Even then a +3 advantage points to higher enthusiasm in the LV model.

Their CO PDF link is broken, so can't check the breakdown there yet.

Edit: Their CO poll has to D party ID advantage. And actually the Latino ID is down -2 from 2008 exits.
Party ID matches 2008 more or less.

I seem to recall another politician making that argument

george_w_bush73.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom