• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is he arguing that if Obama's quote means the future must not belong to practicing Christians ... that practicing Christians slander the prophet of Islam?

Does he realize that's what he's saying?

It's an amazing case of projecting. It's pretty clear what Obama meant by slander against the prophet. Taking that to mean anyone who believes Jesus is the mean of salvation slanders Muslims...what?

His twitter just make me puke.

http://ohio.mediatrackers.org/2012/09/24/at-politifact-ohio-democrats-outnumber-republicans-4-to-1/

Registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans on the staff of PolitiFact Ohio by a 4:1 ratio, a Media Trackers analysis of voter records reveals. Based on data from LexisNexis, twelve of the Cleveland Plain Dealer ”fact checking” outlet’s employees are Democrats and only three are Republicans.
I guess when you live in an alternate reality with your own set of ''facts'', party affiliation does matter when checking facts.

What did Obama actually say? Not near a TV and I don't have any headphones near me.

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. Yet to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see when the image of Jesus Christ is desecrated, churches are destroyed, or the Holocaust is denied."

thatbox

Banned
A lot of 'em are.

http://dd.dynamicdiagrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/chicagodots_race_lines.jpg

And as time goes by, we're going to see them more segregated by income/class. Those with the means to do so will live in town, near transit lines. Those who can't afford living in town will be priced-out into the suburbs. Interestingly, those who could most afford high energy/commuting prices won't drive as much, and those who can't afford paying will be in places with cruddy transit options.

That's really interesting. Have those been generated for other major cities?

thefro

I am really curious what the fallout of this is going to be. Republicans have spent so much money trying to unset Brown and it has straight up failed. Even if Citizen United doesn't get undone I wonder if people will simply not be willing to spend this much money again.

You'll probably see them shift strategy somewhat and spend more of the $$$ on registering Republicans & GOTV other than carpet-bombing states with ads.

Again, pretty similar to the Dems after '04.

pigeon

Banned
A lot of 'em are.

And as time goes by, we're going to see them more segregated by income/class. Those with the means to do so will live in town, near transit lines. Those who can't afford living in town will be priced-out into the suburbs. Interestingly, those who could most afford high energy/commuting prices won't drive as much, and those who can't afford paying will be in places with cruddy transit options.

This is exactly what we're seeing now in the Bay -- Millenials want to live in the city, with walkability and mass transit, which is causing a reversal of the old urban/suburban model. Real estate developers have been picking up suburban homes over the last year (as the real estate market finally started to rebound here in February or so) to rent out in future as gentrification continues to clear low-income people out of downtown areas.

I agree that the consequences of it will be even worse than white flight -- because at least in the city they had access to businesses. Suburban neighborhoods were designed to be isolated -- imagine how many of them will be food deserts in the next twenty years if we don't figure something out. It's a very worrying issue.

Guevara

And now your single topic Romney tumblr of the day:
tumblr_mai9l7T6Lu1rvl74fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_magudclKDR1rvl74fo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mapucwrRyX1rvl74fo1_500.jpg
http://romcom2012.tumblr.com/

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. Yet to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see when the image of Jesus Christ is desecrated, churches are destroyed, or the Holocaust is denied."

Nothing wrong per se (I can see why idiots would spazz out at the statement though lol), just wish he had said that but in the end you have to deal with them regardless.

RDreamer

Wow just finished reading Obama's speech, and that was great. Makes me really confident in my vote. I can't see Romney saying anything like that.

Clevinger

I am really curious what the fallout of this is going to be. Republicans have spent so much money trying to unset Brown and it has straight up failed. Even if Citizen United doesn't get undone I wonder if people will simply not be willing to spend this much money again.

That kind of money is like the change you lose in the couch to people like Adelson and the Koch bros. They'll continue doing it, but the SuperPACs will find better ways to spend it. Instead of trying to unseat a popular incumbent, they'll pump it all into races where both are new and smaller congressional races. Then again, they have so much money that they can still waste it trying to hurt people like Brown and do those other things.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/251413-gop-takes-aim-at-skewed-polls

GOP takes aim at ‘skewed’ polls

How long will this denial continue?

So, I'm guessing this is all about convincing really dumb Republican donors to continue to part with their money.

HylianTom

Banned
Thanks, these are awesome. Nola map is pre-K, unfortunately.

Here's the 2010 set (just remembered that there was an update!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157626354149574/detail/

I'm here in Uptown on Prytania Street, and you can tell that things are on the move. I take a walk almost every night - one or two hours long - and always notice how more and more houses are undergoing renovation/makeover. I've spoken with an elderly gentleman who has run a corner store in the Irish Channel for a few decades, and he says that people are being priced-out either into Midtown, the East, or Kenner/Metairie.

(and I'm guilty, too. In a month or so, we're buying three lots in the Channel and planning a new home build. We're a part of the problem. :/ )

pigeon

Banned
You'll probably see them shift strategy somewhat and spend more of the $$$ on registering Republicans & GOTV other than carpet-bombing states with ads.

Again, pretty similar to the Dems after '04.

I dunno. Democrats focus on GOTV because they have an advantage in the unlikely voter universe -- if everybody in America voted they'd win every time, so GOTV pays off disproportionately for them. The Republican base is mostly people who already do vote.

The reality is that the biggest problem the GOP is facing in terms of political expenditures is a buggy whip problem -- too many people don't see political ads on television any more. I haven't watched a TV ad for four years, probably. Print is even worse! But something like 90% of political advertising expenditure is done on television ads -- in both parties.

At the same time, though, there's a fundamental problem in reaching the undecided voter on the internet -- because traditional targeted ad strategies look for people who are going to want to click your link. Undecided and swing voters often want to avoid political advertisements altogether! That's another reason that Obama's internet strategy focuses so heavily on energizing the Democratic base rather than converting independents.

I think that this election will be seen, at least partially, as the end of television as the go-to advertisement strategy for politics -- which means that it's hard to know WHAT the billionaires will be spending their money on in 2014. Something disruptive, no doubt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/u...ds-adapt.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

And getting twelve year olds along the way. You can't make a victory omelette without breaking a few eggs!

While unfortunately, civilian casualties have been and always will be a reality of war. We try to reduce the number, the goal and hope is zero, even if it's impossible, we still try.

I mean look how bombing/air campaigns hav evolved from World War II to know

GhaleonEB

So, I'm guessing this is all about convincing really dumb Republican donors to continue to part with their money.

I think it's about trying to influence perception/motivation all around. If everyone knows Romney is toast, it could affect GOP enthusiasm, which in turn affects down ballot races. Seems the Republicans in Congress see the writing on the wall and are increasingly turning to self-preservation, rather than taking the White House.

So Ghal, do you still think we will see a Romney tax returns leak?

Also, Walsh be toast, from PPP:

Our new IL-8 poll for @lcvoters finds Tammy Duckworth leading Joe Walsh 52-38. Walsh approval 35/46:

Also, FL Senate tease:

About to release our FL Senate poll- Bill Nelson has a 34% approval rating and still up by a healthy margin. Major recruitment fail for NRSC

Woooo

GhaleonEB

So Ghal, do you still think we will see a Romney tax returns leak?
I thought for sure that was the endgame; Obama was openly running ads speculating that Romney paid no income taxes in some years, which I didn't think they would do unless they knew for sure.

I am less certain now, but part of me wants to see something come out.

ToxicAdam

It's kind of weird timing to see so much information breaking the Democrats way. These things always go in swings and there's enough time for it to tighten back up just as election day hits .. or it could keep breaking the other way and turn into a rout.

I'm hedging on it tightening back up, but I'm kind of rooting for a rout because it would be the more interesting story.

Our new IL-8 poll for @lcvoters finds Tammy Duckworth leading Joe Walsh 52-38. Walsh approval 35/46:
Couldn't have happened to a bigger douchebag. Dead-beat dad "You lie!" Walsh was apparently too much for many to take.

It's kind of weird timing to see so much information breaking the Democrats way.
It is almost as if there was a big story that really soured people on the GOP.

Don't like drone strikes. Their success rate is poor and it pokes other countries' butt about sovereignty. I can understand the reasoning behind it though. We're not gonna invade Yemen just to kill Anwar Al Awlaki. Just drop a bomb on his ass.

But the problem is that I think drones are still an experimental technology. They should make them more precise and do less splash damage (sorry, don't know the correct term). Until the technology is 100 times more refined, it shouldn't be used. I hope maybe in the future we can just zap bad dudes with a laser from satellite.

Don't like drone strikes. Their success rate is poor and it pokes other countries' butt about sovereignty. I can understand the reasoning behind it though. We're not gonna invade Yemen just to kill Anwar Al Awlaki. Just drop a bomb on his ass.

But the problem is that I think drones are still an experimental technology. They should make them more precise and do less splash damage (sorry, don't know the correct term). Until the technology is 100 times more refined, it shouldn't be used. I hope maybe in the future we can just zap bad dudes with a laser from satellite.

It's far more effective than using the other tools we have available and with less risk to American personal.

Harsh Tea-Partier joke . . .

Q. How can you tell a Tea-Partier is being "patriotic"?

A. He's waiving a Confederate Flag, supporting Israel over his own and blocking Job Bills for Veterans...

Ouch.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I like the national holiday idea, it just makes sense you know. Why it hasn't been done already I don't know.

I remember an article about this around 2008, they were saying the cumulative loss in business (and tax revenue across the board) would be significant as you would have to make it a strong holiday with mandatory time off. What I mean is that the majority of places would actually have to be closed by law to allow for voting, as opposed to a soft holiday where retail and restaurants are all open. That and they would also need to ban sales of alcohol on that day.

I thought for sure that was the endgame; Obama was openly running ads speculating that Romney paid no income taxes in some years, which I didn't think they would do unless they knew for sure.

I am less certain now, but part of me wants to see something come out.
Its almost more damaging not to know the exact details. Just the fact that Romney has put so much effort into dodging the issue is bad enough because we're left to imagine all kinds of dark scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom