• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this playing well for Thompson. He's committed and he expresses his values. People are really worried about the deficit and Obama has done nothing to deal with it in four years. They'll react well to...

to...

I can't do it. How do you do it, PD?

You need to mention that people want principled conservatives, and that Wisconsin voters will appreciate that a man they know so well is speaking frankly and honestly with them. Also...um...crap, this is tough.

He's also been campaigning for 6 years but somehow managed to bungle that.

But he's actually good at debating. He won't embarrass himself...

the problem is that the 47% comment will be brought up again as will his ridiculous health care comments, etc. He'll have to come out the gate explaining himself instead of throwing punches

Romney's going to do really good in the debates, unless he gets tripped up/angry. It sounds like he's been training like crazy.

He is going to have a set of talking points memorized for virtually every issue. However, he could get hit with some obscure question with no talking point where he goes into awkward Rombot mode. Or after the talking point is fully spewed, he may try to go free-form and then back into awkward land.

Cloudy

Banned
I think Romney will so fine. His speech today at CGI was the most coherent in a while and he had gravitas. His problem won't be delivery, it'll be reconciling all his flip-flops

Cloudy

Banned
If I were Obama, I would simply ask Romney, "How can you say that you are for getting America working when all your investments are overseas?"

Obama might mention that but not it that context. Seems too much like class warfare. Here is what I envision. Romney spouts his usual talking points about how Obama doesn't believe in America and Obama hits back with, "At least I keep my money in this country" or something to that effect.

Obama might mention that but not it that context. Seems too much like class warfare. Here is what I envision. Romney spouts his usual talking points about how Obama doesn't believe in America and Obama hits back with, "At least I keep my money in this country" or something to that effect.

It's not class warfare.

It's shining a light on the FACT that Romney invests in cheap labor overseas rather that in America.

He wants to be CEO of the US rather than President.

I honestly feel like this is on his to do list rather than a true passion to be President.

I think Romney is going to bomb spectacularly at the debates.

He'll regurgitate some dumb talking point, Obama will make a counterpoint of how much of a pile of shit he is and Romney will have to go off the rails to answer it.

I get the feeling Romney's been practicing debate against a strawman.

WTF would be considered a Romney "win" anyway?

Fox has him as the winner of all 3 debates already and msnbc has Obama as the victor.

Will this come down to a "gotcha" moment or something?

watershed

Banned

Fox has him as the winner of all 3 debates already and msnbc has Obama as the victor.

Any screw ups or gaffes will be obvious and definitely impact who the media thinks is the winner or loser. Other than that it will come down to polling. Unless either candidate literally trips and falls or starts speaking in tongues both sides will claim "victory" and "momentum" out of the debates, but the polls will tell whose message resonated more.

markatisu

I think Romney is going to bomb spectacularly at the debates.

He'll regurgitate some dumb talking point, Obama will make a counterpoint of how much of a pile of shit he is and Romney will have to go off the rails to answer it.

I get the feeling Romney's been practicing debate against a strawman.

That is just it, Romney is ready for fake GOP Obama who does not exist. The minute he puts forth a charge or claim and Obama is like you know that's a lie Romney will come unglued

He can practice all he wants, his recent gaffes and responses to those show how unprepared he is. If I were Obama I would study the debates involving perry and older ones with Kennedy. If he can just make Romney mad or aggressive then Romney will hang himself

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Obama could tar and feather Mitt, hogtie him, dump him in a wheelbarrow, and wheel him all the way to the parking lot to dump him--

-- and Fox would report that in a stunning display of tactics, timing, and insightful strategy, Romney had Obama just where he wanted him the entire debate.

I think people are underestimating Romney's debate skills.

He is very good at things he is prepared for. You can see that in interviews, stump speeches, Univision forum. When he gets tripped up he tends to flounder and get into bad situations, you see that too in his stump speeches, primary debates, etc.

He is putting in a lot of prep, that will help him. He is going to be prepared with answers for 47%, mandate, HCR, etc.

I don't know whether Romney will score some decisive victory over Obama in the debates. I don't think Obama will cause some sort of blow out after the Oct 3 debate.

There is also the matter of whether debates actually matter that much or not this year.

Obama's biggest issue in debates (that I see) is he thinks about what he wants to say a lot and the "uhhhs" and pauses start to plague him.

I know he's thinking of several things to say before responding but it makes him seem ill prepared and like he's fumbling, hence the "he can't speak without a teleprompter" snarks.

codhand

I think people are underestimating Romney's debate skills.

He is very good at things he is prepared for. You can see that in interviews, stump speeches, Univision forum. When he gets tripped up he tends to flounder and get into bad situations, you see that too in his stump speeches, primary debates, etc.

He is putting in a lot of prep, that will help him. He is going to be prepared with answers for 47%, mandate, HCR, etc.

I don't know whether Romney will score some decisive victory over Obama in the debates. I don't think Obama will cause some sort of blow out after the Oct 3 debate.

There is also the matter of whether debates actually matter that much or not this year.

Obama is probably the best debater of his entire generation. You can not-underestimate Romney and still have conviction he will lose. Romney sounding scripted and prepared is not gonna move voters his direction. He needs to dominate.

AniHawk

Obama's biggest issue in debates (that I see) is he thinks about what he wants to say a lot and the "uhhhs" and pauses start to plague him.

I know he's thinking of several things to say before responding but it makes him seem ill prepared and like he's fumbling, hence the "he can't speak without a teleprompter" snarks.

he needs to do what bill clinton does and replace those pauses with words like 'now this is important' and 'listen to this because it's serious'

That is just it, Romney is ready for fake GOP Obama who does not exist. The minute he puts forth a charge or claim and Obama is like you know that's a lie Romney will come unglued

He can practice all he wants, his recent gaffes and responses to those show how unprepared he is. If I were Obama I would study the debates involving perry and older ones with Kennedy. If he can just make Romney mad or aggressive then Romney will hang himself
I can't wait for the foreign policy attack.

Romney - "This is a president who's been going on an apology tour"

Obama - "I killed Osama bin Laden you dumb fucker"

Romney - "realjfwekaw"

And it's not like Obama hasn't been debate prepping either. He's debating John Kerry, who's about the closest Democratic equivalent to Romney you can get, and he actually DID get a bounce from his debates.

I can't wait until Romney strays from Republican boilerplate during the debates and his campaign issues a correction immediately afterwards and we get more gossipy leaks calling Mitt a dunderhead.

codhand

What? No. Romney will lose. His path to victory never involved the debates. The last night of the debates is on foreign policy. Romney has no experience in foreign policy that isn't related to his overseas gaffes, he can prepare all he wants. Personally this is the round I've most anticipated, because it's so tilted in Obama's favor, unlike, unemployment reports, Euro debt-crisis, Middle-East unrest, or other variables, this is money in the bank, a layup, a 2011 touchdown call.

Unskewedpolls is the right's version of 538/Nate Silver.

WTf? Goodnight folks.

Gotchaye

The thing is, the debate doesn't occur in a vacuum. Maybe Romney's a fantastic debater in an academic sense, but he's got to debate the shit hand he's been dealt (or has dealt himself). It's not "Resolved: Freedom is more important than Security". It's "saved Detroit, killed bin Laden, and ended the Iraq War vs lower taxes for the rich, the Ryan budget, and 47%".

And Romney actually doesn't have a great track record when it comes to defending himself from straightforward attacks in debates. Remember how many times he fumbled the tax returns issue in debate after debate in the primary? He had good moments against Newt Gingrich, perhaps the softest target to ever grace a podium.

thefit

There is a story out there that one of the reasons the GOP is bailing on Mitts is not just because of the gaffs but because his team has been practicing and mock debating in preparation and that in those mock debates he's losing to the opponent.

I'll try to find the link but I'm drinking so if someone finds it first, great.

ToxicAdam

In related news

ibvDOj0bFCmv8k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom