• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefit

In related news

ibvDOj0bFCmv8k.jpg

Holy shit. lol both total assholes to boot

There is a story out there that one of the reasons the GOP is bailing on Mitts is not just because of the gaffs but because his team has been practicing and mock debating in preparation and that in those mock debates he's losing to the opponent.

I'll try to find the link but I'm drinking so if someone finds it first, great.

was this it?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81428.html?hp=t1

The plan, described by top aides and advisers in interviews this week, is an acknowledgment that Romney is in enough of a hole that he cannot depend on the presidential debates to turn his candidacy around. In fact, Romney, who recently did five mock debates in a 48-hour period to practice, has confided to advisers that it may be hard to win a debate because every attack against President Barack Obama will seem stale while the attacks on him will seem fresher and newsier to a hostile media.

codhand

The plan, described by top aides and advisers in interviews this week, is an acknowledgment that Romney is in enough of a hole that he cannot depend on the presidential debates to turn his candidacy around. In fact, Romney, who recently did five mock debates in a 48-hour period to practice, has confided to advisers that it may be hard to win a debate because every attack against President Barack Obama will seem stale while the attacks on him will seem fresher and newsier to a hostile media.

It's not newsier to have substance to your arguments.

fuck politico, washington insiders, instigating hacks, and fuck dave mustaine too

"We are going to look back at this as the week he got his act together, or the beginning of the end,” said a top Republican who works closely with the campaign.

Real deep Politico, nice "top-Republican" quote grab. Seriously, I could write these articles, talking only to "aides", "top ___," and "sources close to ___".

ok goodnight for real.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If Romney was leading in the polls right now, would a "right-wing Nate Silver" exist right now?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
After going WAT and doing some digging, apparently it's because we haven't had polls in SC since before the primaries, but even then they weren't entirely kind to Romney.

Who knows what's going on there. Nate Silver should have excluded it from his chart.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Also, isn't it rather obvious that it's BigSicily running Unskewed Polls?

So, when the dems dominate the election this year....

What are the chances that the GOP starts a state-splitting campaign?

Split Alaska in two = 2 more GOP senators.
Split Texas, = 2 more GOP senators

etc etc

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

etc etc

Great, maybe just in time for the state to go blue from Hispanics.

Averon

I didn't mean to imply Unskewed Polls will even touch the accuracy--and sanity--Nate brings to polling analysis. Unskewed Polls is a reaction to rightwing denial of the polls not going their way and not having a "go to" guy for polling analysis like Dems have with Nate; it was a void that was just asking to be filled.

etc etc
Democrats just make DC and Puerto Rico states and get 4 more Dem senators.

Also depending on how you split Texas they could easily be a Hispanic-dominated state that elects Democratic senators.

In fact, Romney, who recently did five mock debates in a 48-hour period to practice, has confided to advisers that it may be hard to win a debate because every attack against President Barack Obama will seem stale while the attacks on him will seem fresher and newsier to a hostile media.
'newsier'? Yeah, he wants truthiness.

hostile media? How long until Romney says "Lamestream media"?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

etc etc

I'm sure succession talk would rear its head first.

etc etc

Yeah . . . try that and California will split into at least 3 states.

Alaska? They barely have enough people for one state.

That's not a reaction to Nate, but rather polls in general. RCP has it at +4 for Obama. Without rasmussen RCP and 538 would be the same on the now cast. In fact the model is behind RCP.

You're right in that this is the reaction from the right but not directly to Nate.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Unskewedpolls is the right's version of 538/Nate Silver. It was only a matter of time, to be honest.

But Nate Silver doesn't change poll numbers. He aggregates them and then conducts statistical modeling. It's a complete disservice to Nate to even be compared in any way.

:.(

But Nate Silver doesn't change poll numbers. He aggregates them and then conducts statistical modeling. It's a complete disservice to Nate to even be compared in any way.
Exactly. He doesn't even skew the polls back. The model figures out if a poll is right or left leaning and by how much on its own. He removes his own bias while trying to adjust for the bias of the pollsters through math rather than guessing.

Wait. What's it called when a State opts out of the US and becomes independent? Texas still has that ability in their state constitution or whatever right?
Secession.

Texas may well have that right in their constitution, but let's see them carry it out. How would military troops and materiel be divided up? Do highways just default to the new country? What about other federal programs? Is there a plan in place for handover?

Nate Silver seems to be a little salty that this unskewedpolls guy is surpassing him as the next celebrity pollster.

haha really? I'd imagine he would find it laughable. I'm surprised he hasn't made a post addressing the conservative conspiracy theories on party ID biases

I'm more interested in whether the PEC model is right about dems having a 75% chance at winning the house, or whether The Monkey Cage is right that dems will gain 1 seat
http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/...that-democrats-will-gain-1-seat-in-the-house/

I think we can all agree Nate's presidential polls will pretty much be right, so that's boring. This is the real nerd pollster battle

haha really? I'd imagine he would find it laughable. I'm surprised he hasn't made a post addressing the conservative conspiracy theories on party ID biases

I'm more interested in whether the PEC model is right about dems having a 75% chance at winning the house, or whether The Monkey Cage is right that dems will gain 1 seat
http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/...that-democrats-will-gain-1-seat-in-the-house/

I think we can all agree Nate's presidential polls will pretty much be right, so that's boring. This is the real nerd pollster battle
A 1-seat gain is highly implausible. The trajectory of Obama's victory points to a huge one, most likely either 332 EVs (wins every swing state but NC) or 347, and Democrats look likely to either keep their Senate majority or even expand it.

You could make the argument that Democrats will still have trouble winning the House even if they're winning the White House/Senate battles easily, thanks to gerrymandering and the incumbency effect, but come on.

Monkey Cage's model also has a huge margin of error attached to it.

Secession.

Texas may well have that right in their constitution, but let's see them carry it out. How would military troops and materiel be divided up? Do highways just default to the new country? What about other federal programs? Is there a plan in place for handover?

If they wanted to leave, I'd be fine with that. Please. Go ahead. Make my day.

Gotchaye

I'm inclined to go with Silver on that. Your link is pretty up-front about fitting to a small number of predetermined variables, when the much larger history of House polling (a whole bunch of elections every 2 years instead of 1 election every 4 years) means that something like what Silver's doing is likely to work better for the House than for the presidency, provided there's some minimal amount of polling data to work with.

Edit: My bad, I thought Silver was doing House stuff too. What's PEC?

I'm inclined to go with Silver on that. Your link is pretty up-front about fitting to a small number of predetermined variables, when the much larger history of House polling (a whole bunch of elections every 2 years instead of 1 election every 4 years) means that something like what Silver's doing is likely to work better for the House than for the presidency, provided there's some minimal amount of polling data to work with.

Edit: My bad, I thought Silver was doing House stuff too. What's PEC?

princeton election consortium. They were spot on in 08 and 2010.

His 2004 prediction is pretty tragic though...

ha never saw it.

Speaking of 04, remember that documentary that was done for the election? I remember watching it a few years ago...it's from the Kerry team's perspective mainly, and when it starts getting clear Kerry is going to lose things get crazy and the doc abruptly ends

AniHawk

ha never saw it.

Speaking of 04, remember that documentary that was done for the election? I remember watching it a few years ago...it's from the Kerry team's perspective mainly, and when it starts getting clear Kerry is going to lose things get crazy and the doc abruptly ends

that sounds eerie

ha never saw it.

Never saw. I do remember the documentary Pelosi's daughter made though about the 08 election, where she traveled to various states that surprisingly went for Obama, like North Carolina and Indiana, and some of the racist asshats there.

Here's his 2004 prediction. He predicted Kerry winning with 311 electoral votes - his fatal flaws were assuming (a) much higher Dem turnout than what actually happened and (b) the undecideds would break heavily towards Kerry. It's the same argument conservatives use this year whenever a poll shows Obama under 50 and of course it's complete bullshit.

The polls of "decided voters" on the other hand were right on the money with 286 EVs for Bush. I think he's learned from his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom