• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I was curious the other day to see how NE politicians (excluding NY) fared in national elections in Ohio in recent times.

2004 - Kerry barely lost

1988 Dukakis lost by 11 points (!!)

1960 Kennedy lost by 6.5 points (surprising, a bit)

The Kerry loss of course was critical and some say it was even stolen, but it's interesting to me that the Dems were able to bring 500k more voters to the polls and still lost. But there was no real clear demographic edge Bush had to explain it. There were just enough people that had no interest in John Kerry to help Bush win.

It was one of the reasons why I predicted that Romney would fail in Ohio. The state seems to identify more with Southern politicians or Midwestern politicians than those stuffy north easterners.

not many people identify with north easterners, which is why in general they fail on the national stage. who was the last NE identified president that wasn't a founding father, besides JFK who BARELY won.

GhaleonEB

I didn't spot these posted: NYT/Quinnipiac polls (last month in parenthesis):

Florida: 53-44 (49-46)

Ohio: 53-43 (50-44)

Pennsylvania: 54-42 (54-42)

Likely voters. Looks like people are making up their minds, the undecideds are dropping fast. And Obama is well over the 50% mark in all three.

Yeah, he actually raised his polls against Gore and Kerry on a few debates.

He just knew how to appear calmer. For instance, when Gore was arguing his point in a stern manner, Bush just waited for him to finish and then asked "Are you done?"

Gore's point was probably valid, but that moment just made Bush look cooler.

Tim-E

Wasn't Kosmo's big line against the polls a little while back that because Obama wasn't crossing 50% in them he really wasn't in the lead? lol

I didn't spot these posted: NYT/Quinnipiac polls (last month in parenthesis):

Florida: 53-44 (49-46)

Ohio: 53-43 (50-44)

Pennsylvania: 54-42 (54-42)

Likely voters. Looks like people are making up their minds, the undecideds are dropping fast. And Obama is well over the 50% mark in all three.
Put a fork in it, guys.

Obama's going to have to stumble in the debates drunk with 5 o'clock shadow while Romney hits him on a sex tape just discovered of him and a harem of white women for this to turn around. And even then I'm not so sure.

He just knew how to appear calmer. For instance, when Gore was arguing his point in a stern manner, Bush just waited for him to finish and then asked "Are you done?"

Gore's point was probably valid, but that moment just made Bush look cooler.

Also didn't help that Kerry has about as much personality...okay he has some more than Mitt. Kerry and Mitt have this same type of cookie cutter vibe about them in how they present themselves and come across.

pigeon

Banned
Those are crazy numbers. Too crazy. Outliers?

Registered voter polls. Knock them back three points. Ohio by 7, Florida by 6. High but in line with recent polls. Edit: OH SHIT LIKELY VOTER DEMOGRAPHIC CHANGE AMERICAN SPRING

edit: Wow, the RAND tracker has Obama up over 6 in the national poll. This is more in line with what we're seeing in the states. He's almost at 50% right now.

https://mmicdata.rand.org/alp/index.php?page=election

Even more striking is the churn rate graph. Not only does Obama keep improving, his rate of conversion is ALSO steadily improving -- so he's gaining a little more every day.

Obama still needs to get in proper debate prep. He hasn't done a proper debate in 4 years.

You're kidding yourself if you think Obama isn't preparing for the debates. All of this media concern is just the Obama team lowering expectations.

I was curious the other day to see how NE politicians (excluding NY) fared in national elections in Ohio in recent times.

2004 - Kerry barely lost

1988 Dukakis lost by 11 points (!!)

1960 Kennedy lost by 6.5 points (surprising, a bit)

The Kerry loss of course was critical and some say it was even stolen, but it's interesting to me that the Dems were able to bring 500k more voters to the polls and still lost. But there was no real clear demographic edge Bush had to explain it. There were just enough people that had no interest in John Kerry to help Bush win.

It was one of the reasons why I predicted that Romney would fail in Ohio. The state seems to identify more with Southern politicians or Midwestern politicians than those stuffy north easterners.
Extremely rich Politicians from NE with good hair, good looks turn off the Rust belt voters like anything. They simply don't trust them. Romney is the very caricature of an out of touch NE politician that they make fun of.

BREAKING — OHIO NOW LEANS OBAMA: ABC News Political Director Amy Walter notes that today’s New York Times-CBS News-Quinnipiac poll is the fourth non-partisan media poll in a row to show President Obama not only ahead by a significant margin, but at or above 50 percent of the vote. And, as we wrote yesterday, Romney’s slump in the state has been apparent since earlier this summer. That slump is now a serious hole. The “inside the margin of error” argument offered made by the Romney campaign yesterday looks rather hollow in the face of this overwhelming evidence. Based on this evidence, ABC has now moved the state of Ohio from “Toss Up” territory to “Lean Obama.” This puts the ABC Electoral College estimate at 255 for Obama to 206 for Romney.
ruh roh. Is this the first time ever where OH is a lean instead of toss-up, 40 days out?

syllogism

Even Romney campaign's internal polls have them within "margin of error" (this is generally campaign speak for being down 3-4 points) in Ohio and some other must-win states, or at least that's as much as they are willing to publicly admit. But I suppose their polls and other GOP internal polls need some unskewing as well.

Guevara

poll.gif

Maybe the truest poll of the season. Roundrock Leader, Texas.

ezekial45

Banned
O.O @ poll
what paths does romney have left?

A scandal on the scale of a leaked video of Obama snorting cocaine off of a white prostitute with copies of the Quran in background and him talking on the phone with Muslim leaders about their plan to weaken the United States.

Quick question for poli-gaf (which I'll have to read the answers to after work)... why is New Hampshire an almost-red state in a sea of blue? What makes it a swing state when Vermont and Massachusetts are some of the most reliably dem states in the country? Is there some sort of huge demographic difference I'm unaware of?

Quick question for poli-gaf (which I'll have to read the answers to after work)... why is New Hampshire an almost-red state in a sea of blue? What makes it a swing state when Vermont and Massachusetts are some of the most reliably dem states in the country? Is there some sort of huge demographic difference I'm unaware of?

Related question, why does Vermont a liberal as hell state, has pretty much the least restrictive gun laws in the country?

Can anyone answer that? I mean look at it. You can sell any gun to a private party with no background check and you don't need any permit to conceal carry!
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/vermont.aspx

codhand

motherofgod.gif

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004346171663

Its... Kosmo's facebook page.

PERSONAL INTERESTS: Boating ~ Fishing ~ Snorkeling & Diving ~ Spearfishing & Lobstering ~ Water Skiing & Riding My Wave Runners ~ Going To The Beach And Walking On The Beach Along The Surf Holding My Date's Hand Preferably At Night Under A Full Moon ~ Hunting ~ Horseback Riding ~ Riding My Harley Davidson's & ATV 4-Wheelers ~ Skydiving & Bungee Jumping ~ Camping & Hiking ~ Snowmobiling & Skiing ~ Anything That Has To Do With The Outdoors ~ Attending NASCAR Races ~ Traveling To Various Destinations On Cruise Ships ~ Bowling & Billiards(Pool) ~ Softball & Volleyball ~ Tennis ~ Bowling ~ Church Youth Group Leader ~ Buying & Selling Stocks ~ Purchasing Residential, Industrial & Commercial Real Estate To Build, Develop, Lease & Sell ~ Beautiful And Gorgeous Country Girls ~ Beautiful And Gorgeous Italian, Irish, Latin & Hispanic Girls ~ Beautiful And Gorgeous Asian Girls ~ Beautiful & Gorgeous Black Girls!!!

Lol
That must be the most interesting Youth Group on the planet

My understanding is that that's where rich people from around the country go retire once they get their golden parachutes.

codhand

My understanding is that that's where rich people from around the country go retire once they get their golden parachutes.

No not really, just lots of blue-collar angry white middle age types. This is the "Live Free or Die" state we're talking about, also, it won't go R, it only likes to flirt.

pigeon

Banned

New Hampshire state motto: LIVE FREE OR DIE

New England basically sorts itself. If you're a sleazy banker, Delaware; if you want a super nice house, Rhode Island; if you're Irish, Massachusetts; if you kind of wish you were Canadian, Vermont; if you hate seat belt laws, New Hampshire (the last state to mandate them). They have no income or sales tax. They were selected for the Free State Project. They've always had libertarian tendencies.

Related question, why does Vermont a liberal as hell state, has pretty much the least restrictive gun laws in the country?

Can anyone answer that? I mean look at it. You can sell any gun to a private party with no background check and you don't need any permit to conceal carry!
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/vermont.aspx

Same answer, really. In both cases, these are New England states that existed before America, had constitutions before America, and established a strong tradition of adherence to certain values that hasn't really changed, even as their other values changed. I'm sure Pennsylvania has some weird political artifacts as well somewhere.

thefro

Even with that, it doesn't make sense. Do Democrats there as a majority oppose gun control (vs say in PA were it's a sizable minority)? I mean PA has more gun laws and restrictions.

Vermont's largest city has 40,000 people. Hence very little crime and no push for gun control to stop that crime.

It's really quite a rural state.

Even with that, it doesn't make sense. Do Democrats there as a majority oppose gun control (vs say in PA were it's a sizable minority)? I mean PA has more gun laws and restrictions.

PA has a large urban population. There's nothing like Philly or Pittsburgh in Vermont and there's no pressure to control urban crime through gun control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom