• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Ann Romney Explains Mitt's Airplane Remark

She explained her husband's subsequent comment afterward at a fundraiser when he joked that he didn't know why the windows on the plane don't open.

"It's his way of making light of how worried he is about me," she said. "It's his way of dealing with the panic of knowing how dangerous this was."

Time to stop using Ann, Mittens.

Granted, it was a pretty scary situation, but still.

Romney in Ohio: ‘My heart aches’ for struggling Americans

WESTERVILLE, Ohio—Mitt Romney kicked off a day of campaigning in this battleground state by insisting his "heart aches" for struggling Americans and that he is better prepared than President Barack Obama to help those who are "hurting" under the tough economy.

I wonder if his heart ached when Bain fired people a lot.

Guevara

Where is this 1/2 coming from? I don't get it.

<crazy rightwing talking point>

Obama's not really black he's only half black, his mom was white. That means he's not really the first African American president or something. Also he's a descendent of Africans from Africa, not from slaves which matters for some reason

</crazy rightwing talking point>

pigeon

Banned
Thought some of you guys might find this interesting:

From blog: http://cheaptalk.org/2012/09/26/the-expectations-game-in-politics/

Interested to read your thoughts...

In terms of strategy it is indeed interesting -- there have been several examples of people trying to lower expectations, such as suggesting there would be no convention bounce before the RNC (Rove) and DNC (Axelrod). But I agree with Gotchaeye that this guy's missing the middleman here -- the primary audience of a pundit or campaign staffer (Peggy Noonan is not a campaign staffer) is the media. The media, by contrast, is tasked with taking a fundamentally chaotic universe of facts and events and organizing as many of them as possible into a pattern that their viewers can accept with minimal difficulty -- that is, a narrative. (And, of course, it helps if that narrative is one that keeps people tuning in.)

Axelrod doesn't really have a choice, in other words -- if he tries to change expectations by playing up Romney, then his words form part of a narrative that Romney is surging and even Obama's campaign strategist knows it. People in the audience who have limited time and energy to engage with politics, or who (frankly) have never been trained in critical thinking, will accept this narrative -- and Axelrod does not control who this audience is, so he can't ensure that his statements target a specific group. In part that's why Fox News is such a concern -- because it does control its audience.

benjipwns

Banned
The GOP types are really wrapping themselves in those UnSkewedPolls.

I don't entirely buy the D figure in a lot of these polls, but there's never been reason to do so for years and it still puts Obama up solidly.

Some people I once thought were reasonable are calling this a Romney landslide.

Either way I get tears somewhere.

The GOP types are really wrapping themselves in those UnSkewedPolls.

I don't entirely buy the D figure in a lot of these polls, but there's never been reason to do so for years and it still puts Obama up solidly.

Some people I once thought were reasonable are calling this a Romney landslide.

Either way I get tears somewhere.

Who do you consider reliable that is calling it a landslide?

codhand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1S8OIxtfa8

This video is too funny.

Romney: I like to drink domestic adult beverages and watch the football matches, ha-ha-ha. Ryan's favorite team is the Packers from the Green Bay. ha-ha-ha. I love sport. ha-ha-ha.
Interviewer: Very good.

Actually f' it the way Romney actually answers is funnier than any parody.

Reminds me of Apu in that Simpsons episode

screen-shot-2012-01-09-at-12-27-00-pm.png
"What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the
baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron."

benjipwns

Banned
Who do you consider reliable that is calling it a landslide?
I was mostly talking about some people I know who were generally reasonable until recently that were just "I can't see how Obama wins" and I'm like, you realize it's electoral votes. (This was back when they were evenish, Obama up 1 point or so, but still up 300ish in electoral)

And I started to see similar sentiments throughout the GOP leaning blogosphere this summer.

The irony is that they're convinced there will be race riots when Obama loses in a landslide.

Since Gary Johnson isn't on my ballot thanks to the motherfucking GOP I get to enjoy either way!

I was driving home from work yesterday and heard this weird ad on the radio, started listening closer and it was an environmental attack ad on natural gas and fracking... long and pretty brutal. Brought to you by the oil industry.

Yeah, the weird attacks by the energy industry against parts of itself are...interesting. In PA along with natural gas, coal gets tossed in the mix a lot.

pigeon

Banned
the atlantic said:
But the best one-liners at Romney's expense came from Romney. Standing at the podium to begin his remarks, he said, "Well, it's great to be here in Iowa this morning—whoops, wrong speech." He threw down a piece of paper and then continued. "Seriously, it's good to be here in Massachusetts. I'm visiting for a few days." Everybody cracked up, and from that moment the room was his. He kept up a genuinely funny line of patter—much of it self-deprecating and based on his presumptive aspirations to higher office—for eight minutes; in comedy terms he killed. (Sample joke: As a Mormon, he said, "I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman and a woman and a woman.")

From 2005.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2005/09/the-holy-cow-candidate/304196/?single_page=true

I just found this amazing. Running for President is basically the worst thing you can do to yourself, your image and your family.

I was mostly talking about some people I know who were generally reasonable until recently that were just "I can't see how Obama wins" and I'm like, you realize it's electoral votes. (This was back when they were evenish, Obama up 1 point or so, but still up 300ish in electoral)

And I started to see similar sentiments throughout the GOP leaning blogosphere this summer.

The irony is that they're convinced there will be race riots when Obama loses in a landslide.

Since Gary Johnson isn't on my ballot thanks to the motherfucking GOP I get to enjoy either way!

Ah, I see. I think there was a chance had Romney ran from the middle and put out actual policies. But the primaries killed him. Once I saw the primaries, I figured as long as the economy stays on the status quo path, Obama should pull it out.

From 2005.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2005/09/the-holy-cow-candidate/304196/?single_page=true

I just found this amazing. Running for President is basically the worst thing you can do to yourself, your image and your family.

I'm sure Romney is hating himself and the GOP for turning him upside down. If Romney ran as the 2002 moderate, he could've easily kept the election close. He knows it. I suppose the prize of presidency has deluded him. Should've basically said Fuck You to teaparty crowd after the primaries. Conservatives would've eventually fall in line, regardless of his pandering.

benjipwns

Banned
That sucks. What state are you in?
Michigan. He was put on the GOP primary without his approval even though he withdrew, then the state didn't tell him in time, so he was three minutes late to get back on the ballot as LP. (Which has ballot status.)

They're trying to get a Gary Johnson from Texas on the ballot just because, but the GOP Secretary of State is blocking it and she's hinted she's doing it to help Romney.

Unskewedpolls.com is using the red dot for their weightings.

I think this alone blows their argument out of the water. Using an outlier to weight
I think you mean "most accurate data point" to weight.

WESTERVILLE, Ohio -- In a line that event attendees found a bit puzzling, Mitt Romney warned a crowd of mostly middle-class onlookers on Wednesday not to expect too much tax relief under his administration.

"We have got to reform our tax system," Romney said at a morning event here. "Small businesses most typically pay taxes at the individual tax rate. And so our individual income taxes are the ones I want to reform. Make them simpler. I want to bring the rates down. By the way, don't be expecting a huge cut in taxes because I'm also going to lower deductions and exemptions. But by bringing rates down we will be able to let small businesses keep more of their money so they can hire more people."

The comments were either a flub on Romney's part or an admission that many of the deductions and exemptions that he will have to target in order to make his tax plan deficit neutral will end up affecting the middle class.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/romney-ohio-taxes_n_1915949.html

Oh Mittens.

The more he speaks...

benjipwns

Banned
It's a shame, if he was smart he could sell it like Reagan who did the same thing. Cutting the breaks, but lowering the rates.

Actually, there you go, there's a slogan. I take payment in Steam games.

Romney might truly be becoming the Kerry...I noticed in 2004 when Kerry was not on TV his polls went up, he became a kinda anti-Bush, but then he'd show up for some dumb reason and the polls would drop. I wonder if Romney should try that.

I was driving home from work yesterday and heard this weird ad on the radio, started listening closer and it was an environmental attack ad on natural gas and fracking... long and pretty brutal. Brought to you by the oil industry.

Wait . . . what? That can't be right.

First of all, much of the oil & natural gas industry are one-in-the same. Yes, there are specialty outfits that specialize in certain types of drilling but the majors are all into both oil & natural gas because they often come out of the same wells.

And second, the biggest thing in oil these days is fracking. It is a little different than natural gas fracking but largely the same. The natrual gas frackers are doing it in Texas, New York, Pennsylvania and it crashed natural gas prices. So much so that there will be a shake out and some will go bust. For consumers, this has been the biggest success. But the drillers are not making much money on it right now.

The oil fracking is largely in North Dakota & Montana where they are fracking tight shale formations to liberate conventional liquid oil. This play is still growing and is hugely profitable. For the consumers, it hasn't meant much because prices remain high. But for drillers, this is big.

But I can't see why oil companies would be against natural gas fracking? They don't really compete. And the regulations would largely cover both.

It's a shame, if he was smart he could sell it like Reagan who did the same thing. Cutting the breaks, but lowering the rates.

Actually, there you go, there's a slogan. I take payment in Steam games.

Romney might truly be becoming the Kerry...I noticed in 2004 when Kerry was not on TV his polls went up, he became a kinda anti-Bush, but then he'd show up for some dumb reason and the polls would drop. I wonder if Romney should try that.

Problem here is two fold:

A. He's cutting the rates by too much to stay revenue neutral

B. He's cutting the rates for the wealthy.

If he was proposing a middle-class tax cut to be paid for by reducing deductions on the wealthy (without cutting their rates) he could win that argument. He's simply proposing the Bush tax policy and no one is buying the deductions claim as a result. Americans have short memories, but not that short.

I've been saying Romney is the new Kerry for a while here. :D

gcubed

Yeah, the weird attacks by the energy industry against parts of itself are...interesting. In PA along with natural gas, coal gets tossed in the mix a lot.

yeah i'm in PA (coming home from office in jersey at the time). Coal gets hammered by the oil industry all the time, this is the first one that was brutally attacking fracking. They had some young girl crying about not recycling and saving the whales and her mom saying they are using oil and aren't polluting the ground water and causing earthquakes

Wait . . . what? That can't be right.

First of all, much of the oil & natural gas industry are one-in-the same. Yes, there are specialty outfits that specialize in certain types of drilling but the majors are all into both oil & natural gas because they often come out of the same wells.

And second, the biggest thing in oil these days is fracking. It is a little different than natural gas fracking but largely the same. The natrual gas frackers are doing it in Texas, New York, Pennsylvania and it crashed natural gas prices. So much so that there will be a shake out and some will go bust. For consumers, this has been the biggest success. But the drillers are not making much money on it right now.

The oil fracking is largely in North Dakota & Montana where they are fracking tight shale formations to liberate conventional liquid oil. This play is still growing and is hugely profitable. For the consumers, it hasn't meant much because prices remain high. But for drillers, this is big.

But I can't see why oil companies would be against natural gas fracking? They don't really compete. And the regulations would largely cover both.

oh most definitely is right, it was such a weird commercial i turned the volume up and paid attention. I'm trying to find the ad online, but i can remember just about all of it.

Now THERE is a war going on. Coal has really been getting the crap kicked out of them because Utilities are switching to natural gas to generate power instead of coal. Natural is pretty cheap right now, it gets piped right to the utility so there is little transport cost, it is politically correct compared to coal, and it is much easier to dispatch . . . you can turn gas turbines on & off as demand changes relatively easily.

So I could easily see coal companies attacking fracking. Of course it is not a very honest attack at all . . . despite certain issues with fracking, it is really hard to argue that coal is cleaner than fracked gas. They just want to slow gas down.

Kosmo

Banned
Do you guys even know how to do a WHOIS search? Anybody who has, would know that Unskewedpolls.com is a much a right wing hack job as some of the left wing garbage out there:

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: UNSKEWEDPOLLS.COM
Created on: 28-Aug-12
Expires on: 28-Aug-13
Last Updated on: 15-Sep-12

Registrant:
Q Star Productions

47 Blueberry Lane
East Falmouth, Massachusetts 02536
United States

Administrative Contact:
Chambers, D. M. Ross dean@gop2112.com
Q Star Productions