• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
I don't think anyone is doing anything on guns. It is a dead issue in reality but it is still used to fire up the troops on the right with fear.

They are comin' for ya!

51w6UuglVjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like how "BLACK" is the word they chose to bold in that title. Good subliminal messaging.

In addition to this, maybe not it's not so farfetched.

Is that referring to last month's revised? If so, the monthly estimates are so meaningless at current employment levels. Error bar is +/- 100K, which means that last month's estimate of 100K (taken as a middling-to-disappointing number) was in actuality anything from 0 - 200,000. Or from "disastrous" to "highly encouraging".

They should really just ignore the estimates and report the revised with a month delay. Not that that's going to happen.

Edit: I can't read numbers good and now see that it has to be referring to the total revised for Obama's term. Still interested to see the revised for last month and my larger point still stands!

HylianTom

Banned
I love the report on AM radio this morning: Romney supporters yelling at him at events, telling him to "be more aggressive." Right as the reporter says this, an audio clip of an angry-sounding guy screaming "GET TOUGH!" (at a ropeline, I'm guessing) is played.

The frustration seems palpable. Even my conservative coworkers have largely gone silent, while the libs are giggly, like we're all in on the big joke. This is going to be a fun 40 days.

markatisu

I don't understand the whole aggressive argument, what is Romney supposed to do? I mean the GOP has dedicated 4 years to tearing down Obama at every chance

Romney can go balls to walls hard on Obama but it wont matter as the electorate has heard it all.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I love the report on AM radio this morning: Romney supporters yelling at him at events, telling him to "be more aggressive." Right as the reporter says this, an audio clip of an angry-sounding guy screaming "GET TOUGH!" (at a ropeline, I'm guessing) is played.

The frustration seems palpable. Even my conservative coworkers have largely gone silent, while the libs are giggly, like we're all in on the big joke. This is going to be a fun 40 days.

If the narrative somehow switches to how Romney supporters are yelling at Romney...

I really have no idea how it would play out, as I don't think we have much a previous historic example to compare it too.

HylianTom

Banned
If the narrative somehow switches to how Romney supporters are yelling at Romney...

I really have no idea how it would play out, as I don't think we have much a previous historic example to compare it too.
I'm wondering how long it'll take until things degrade to that 2008 level, with shouts of "kill him!" and "he's a damn muslin!" at rallies..

Vestal

I'm wondering how long it'll take until things degrade to that 2008 level, with shouts of "kill him!" and "he's a damn muslin!" at rallies..

October.. However the rhetoric coming from the right has not been as vile as it was with Palin, with the "paling around terrorist" or the real America vs Obamas America.

tranciful

This reaction to the polls is hilarious.

edit: I like how he claims "people like to vote for the winner" suggesting it won't hurt democrat enthusiasm as much as it will hurt republican enthusiasm. Pretty sure there's plenty of studies to show that the complete opposite is true -- people naturally root for the underdog.

teiresias

I don't understand the whole aggressive argument, what is Romney supposed to do? I mean the GOP has dedicated 4 years to tearing down Obama at every chance

Romney can go balls to walls hard on Obama but it wont matter as the electorate has heard it all.

These rally attendees berating Romney are the same people that were yelling "terrorist," "Muslim," and other such nonsense at McCain rallies last cycle. Obviously, what they want Romney to do is actually call Obama the n-word in his stump speech, I'm convinced that's how ridiculous many of them are.

Averon

Jesus.

This poll trutherism running rampant in conservative circles is hilarious. This is a clear, unvarnished view of what denial and desperation looks like when someone, who created and live in their own little bubble/reality, is confronted with the real world that strongly contradicts their worldview. As far as the right is concerned, pollsters are the new ACORN in their eyes.

probably a combined revision of the last several months

because there's no way in hell that's all just from august (lest this actually become 1984)

They normally revise 2 to 3 months at a time, so that would be at least 100k+ per month.

That seems like a stretch. Also, I thought the BLS was pretty good about not leaking data, isn't this normally part of the monthly employment report?

Forever

Banned
Ksenia Solo - Lost Girl
ty

Jesus.

This poll trutherism running rampant in conservative circles is hilarious. This is a clear, unvarnished view of what denial and desperation looks like when someone, who created and live in their own little bubble/reality, is confronted with the real world that strongly contradicts their worldview. As far as the right is concerned, pollsters are the new ACORN in their eyes.

I find it legitimately scary, actually. These people really believe it, and when Romney loses they're going to demand to know why reality didn't conform to their fantasies. Instead of questioning those fantasies, they're going to call shenanigans on the election. These people own guns. It's dangerous stuff.

thefro

They normally revise 2 to 3 months at a time, so that would be at least 100k+ per month.

That seems like a stretch. Also, I thought the BLS was pretty good about not leaking data, isn't this normally part of the monthly employment report?

http://www.bls.gov/ces/cesprelbmk.htm

Basically the economy gained 386k more jobs from April 2011 to March 2012 than they thought from their estimates (using the real numbers from state tax data). So that puts President Obama in positive territory for jobs numbers in his term and puts the private-sector job number he'll be talking about at 5 million jobs.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...eated-386-000-more-jobs-in-year-to-march-2012

pigeon

Banned
ty

I find it legitimately scary, actually. These people really believe it, and when Romney loses they're going to demand to know why reality didn't conform to their fantasies. Instead of questioning those fantasies, they're going to call shenanigans on the election. These people own guns. It's dangerous stuff.

Don't worry. Sure, there's denial and anger, but after that you get bargaining. That's when we pass the Jobs Act.

Basically the economy gained 386k more jobs from April 2011 to March 2012 than they thought from their estimates (using the real numbers from tax data). So that puts President Obama in positive territory for jobs numbers in his term and puts the private-sector job number he'll be talking about at 5 million jobs.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...eated-386-000-more-jobs-in-year-to-march-2012

If that's the case, then the 400k people estimated to have left workforce (reason for UE rate drop) is negated.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I imagine it is hard to accept numbers which seem to contradict what they have been told "the American People" want for the last few years.

Averon

ty

Yup. Which is why the notion of the GOP moderating themselves in respond to an Obama re-electing is naive. The GOP and its base needs to go through a couple more humiliating defeats before it gets through their thick heads that their conspiracies/fantasies isn't the real world.

The revision will be publicized with Feb 2013 report.

Evidently this is a hypothetical where Obama gets his thugs to force the BLS to publicize it with the October jobs report.

Or maybe I didn't read that link closely enough. Whoops.

...Still expecting UE to fall by that much anyway.

GhaleonEB

Basically the economy gained 386k more jobs from April 2011 to March 2012 than they thought from their estimates (using the real numbers from state tax data). So that puts President Obama in positive territory for jobs numbers in his term and puts the private-sector job number he'll be talking about at 5 million jobs.

It looks like they have not yet updated their actual historical data, which still show Obama's term (from February 2009 to present) in negative territory.

Forever

Banned
Yup. Which is why the notion of the GOP moderating themselves in respond to an Obama re-electing is naive. The GOP and its base needs to go through a couple more humiliating defeats before it gets through their thick heads that their conspiracies/fantasies isn't the real world.

This level of delusion and hate can only end in violence.

codhand

My god the delusions. I couldn't watch past the 4 mintue mark "Pollsters are using the 2008 likely voter models!" "Pollsters are purposfully trying to shift this race!"

You missed the gem at the end,

"I like Poles, I like the Polish people, I like Polish hot dogs, I just don't like Polls."

HylianTom

Banned
I imagine it is hard to accept numbers which seem to contradict what they have been told "the American People" want for the last few years.
You aren't kidding.

There seems to be a theme in rural parts here where it is assumed that if you're white, you're "One of Us Real 'Murikans Who Hates that Negroid Muslim." Very, very insulated. So if they live in this bubble where the liberal rural minority usually stays quiet while the conservatives rail and whine and hate loudly and frequently without being challenged, while backed-up by A.M. radio during the day and Fox News/freerepublic.com at night, I can see how they create this world.

And watching them see this world implode on November 6th will be very entertaining.

Effect

That is still one of the most interesting things about this election. They have basically desensitized people to attacks directed at the president. It's just one of the things republicans do now so its easy to ignore them and not even allow them to register. It certainly didn't help that their attacks are completely opposite of what reality is and things that can be seen in an extremely obvious way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom