• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
What college do you go to? College students in the main are an overwhelming Democratic stronghold, despite the possibility that they may be too cool to self-identify as a particular party, and don't usually follow politics -- that's why Obama keeps putting Scarlett Johannson on his GOTV ads. So it's probably a mistake to assume that they're true swing voters -- most of them are probably just "unlikely voters," and a good chunk of the rest probably would vote Democratic regardless of anything that actually happens in the debates.

I mean, or I might be missing a demographic change that explains why all these libertarians keep popping up on NeoGAF. That's certainly possible.
I go to school somewhere in the middle of ohio, sorry but I don't want to get any more specific than that. But yes, I should have done a better job distinguishing between swing voters and unlikely voters.

RDreamer

You college is extremely abnormal then. College age voters are overwhelmingly commited to Obama. He'll win that 18-25 age group by massive margins. Like very high double digit type of margins.

I went to an extremely, extremely abnormal college. Back when I was going there they all voted for Bush overwhelmingly and celebrated after he won.

In my experience, most college students are apathetic or disillusioned from politics and don't vote, but those that do tend to be left-leaning and support Obama. I believe the vote turnout numbers generally agree with this.

In my experience, most college students are apathetic or disillusioned from politics and don't vote, but those that do tend to be left-leaning and support Obama. I believe the vote turnout numbers generally agree with this.

Yes the numbers agree, but there will be some extra barriers this year with new state voter ID laws aimed at college kids that are designed to create further apathy:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/22/voter-id-laws-gop-college-student_n_1791568.html

CNN just caught up with the Bain 'Harvesting' video
(CNN) – The left-leaning publication that posted the secretly-recorded videos of Mitt Romney that included his controversial "47%" comments is online with a new, older video where the GOP candidate describes a mission to "harvest" small businesses while at Bain Capital, the private equity firm he founded.

Mother Jones posted video taken in 1985 of Romney describing how the his firm was formed and the company's goal to buy stakes in start-up businesses, manage them for between five and eight years and then "harvest them at a significant profit."

RDreamer

Honestly I don't get harvest-gate. I mean I guess when you contrast it with the effects of some of his "harvesting" it's kind of devastating to have used that word, but eh... It's really not a big deal to me at all. He's just talking about bringing in profits to his shareholders. And within context he talks about helping manage them and making them better, etc in order to do so. It just seems kind of tame to me.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Honestly I don't get harvest-gate. I mean I guess when you contrast it with the effects of some of his "harvesting" it's kind of devastating to have used that word, but eh... It's really not a big deal to me at all. He's just talking about bringing in profits to his shareholders. And within context he talks about helping manage them and making them better, etc in order to do so. It just seems kind of tame to me.

The only reason I see it as getting any play at all as it goes into the "Out of touch" narrative.

I'd much rather see talk about the general use of off-shore tax havens, by Romney and others.

With all the flipping flopping Romney has done, I'm assuming Obama is packed and loaded with some easy talking points for the debates. Just about everyone can rattle off Romney's back and forth.

I'm thinking Obama won't be overly aggressive but will have enough to say to edge him out.

A Public Opinion Strategies survey found that West is polling at 52 percent compared to Murphy at 41 percent. The survey, which was conducted on behalf of Allen West for Congress and the National Republican Congressional Committee, took place on Sept. 24-25 and fielded 400 likely voters in Florida's 18th District. The margin of error is 4.9 percent.
:(

Doing a little eavesdropping, apparently some people here at Mitts rally think the Voter ID law was overturned just now. Some dude, a self described pastor in the crowd next to me, and just declared that they've lost PA. He said that because there are a million and a half more registered Democrats in the state than Republicans that without the ID law there's no way they can win. I know that's the reason for the law but to hear it discussed so openly is... disturbing. Apparently he's someone, was talking about going to a dinner with 43

i never liked the mischaracterization of mitt's "let detroit go bankrupt" article. the word "bankrupt" was clearly used in its legal sense and not in the colloquial sense.

it is a sleight of hand to suggest that mitt wanted the auto makers liquidated; from reading the article, he clearly was suggesting a normal managed bankruptcy proceeding. from what i recall, this is basically what wound up happening, but obama's decision was to have the government step in to make the reorganization much better using taxpayer dollars without the hard sacrifices suggested by mitt.

reading that article seems like it was from a different person . . .

2008 Mitt said:
I believe Washington should raise energy research spending to $20 billion a year, from the $4 billion that is spent today. The research could be done at universities, at research labs and even through public-private collaboration. The federal government should also rectify the imbedded tax penalties that favor foreign carmakers.

pigeon

Banned
i never liked the mischaracterization of mitt's "let detroit go bankrupt" article. the word "bankrupt" was clearly used in its legal sense and not in the colloquial sense.

it is a sleight of hand to suggest that mitt wanted the auto makers liquidated; from reading the article, he clearly was suggesting a normal managed bankruptcy proceeding. from what i recall, this is basically what wound up happening, but obama's decision was to have the government step in to make the reorganization much better using taxpayer dollars without the hard sacrifices suggested by mitt.

Don't think this is quite true. Mitt wanted to put the automakers in managed bankruptcy immediately, without the bridge loans they got to carry them through the process of planning it out. That's the specific topic of the op-ed. But there's a big difference between a bankruptcy when you're flat broke and have no time to prepare versus a bankruptcy you've had months to set up for, and that's leaving aside the government investment in GM.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No offense but do we have to see this all the time? Let people use the word ad if they want. It's shorter than video and usually we would call them ads anyway. It's not a big deal.

I think the point (at least thats how I always took it) was that web videos would receive less exposure than TV ads, so a really effective video from the Obama campaign might not have as much impact compared to if it was broadcast.

Don't think this is quite true. Mitt wanted to put the automakers in managed bankruptcy immediately, without the bridge loans they got to carry them through the process of planning it out. That's the specific topic of the op-ed. But there's a big difference between a bankruptcy when you're flat broke and have no time to prepare versus a bankruptcy you've had months to set up for, and that's leaving aside the government investment in GM.

right, but he wasn't suggesting a liquidation or anything. he just wanted them to go through bankruptcy like any other company. saying he wanted them to "go bankrupt" is misleading because it confuses legal bankruptcy with the common meaning of the word and the obama campaign knows it. it's really mitt's fault though, now that i think about it. what a stupid title for an article (if you plan on running for office).

maybe mitt assumed that the companies would take out short term loans to buy them some time to plan before bankruptcy, as most other companies do? in any case, he hardly called for liquidation. i'm not saying that the government and feds don't deserve credit for really helping out detroit (i'm assuming bankruptcy loans would not have been readily available at reasonable rates during the crisis and the government filled that gap) i'm just saying that mitt's article has been mischaracterized.

DasRaven

I agree with you, the statement can be seen as a mischaracterization if you understand the legal definition of "bankrupt" and assume that was Mitt's intention.

It is just too bad that Romney's campaign sacrificed the idea of properly characterizing their opponents' words on day 1 and lost all standing to credibly make this claim.

"What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" after all.

ascii42

(i'm assuming bankruptcy loans would not have been readily available at reasonable rates during the crisis and the government filled that gap)

That's pretty much exactly what happened. Ford, on the other hand, had had financial trouble earlier, and was able to get a bunch of loan money before the banks crashed, which was one of the reasons they didn't need to take money from the government. That, and they owned Land Rover, Jaguar, and Volvo, which they were able to sell.

RNC cuts ties with firm over voter fraud allegations

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...s-with-firm-over-voter-fraud-allegations?lite

Election officials in six Florida counties are investigating what appears to be "hundreds” of cases of suspected voter fraud by a GOP consulting firm that has been paid nearly $3 million by the Republican National Committee to register Republican voters in five key battleground states, state officials tell NBC.

The suspected fraud included apparent cases of dead people being registered as Republican voters, said Paul Lux, the supervisor of elections in Okaloosa County and a Republican. He compared the suspected fraud to the alleged acts of ACORN, the liberal activist group that became the center of a national controversy several years ago.

"It's kind of ironic that the dead people they accused Acorn of registering are now being done by the RPOF" [Republican Party of Florida], Lux said in an interview with NBC News.

Out of 304 Republican voter registration forms recently dropped off by a Strategic Allied employee at a small "satellite office" of the Palm Beach elections office, 106 were flagged as potentially fraudulent-- including "a lot" with "similar looking" signatures and others with apparently phony addresses, Susan Bucher, the Palm Beach elections supervisor, said in an interview.​

What happened to the GOP outrage on this issue? Why no calls for investigations and prosecutions? It seems their only problem with the issue now is that they got caught.

Important Image

A35KhkHCIAEYxlz.png:large

pigeon

Banned
Isn't liquidizing a part of the bankruptcy process?

Liquidation is when you transform all the solid assets of a company into liquid assets to pay off creditors -- hence, liquidation. Bankruptcy is when you declare that you can't pay your debts. In many countries, bankruptcy leads directly to liquidation, but in the United States there are some options that allow you to avoid it, such as Chapter 11 -- which lets you restructure your debt, present a plan for paying it off, and go on operating under the auspices of the court, with Chapter 7 (liquidation) waiting in the wings if you fail. The auto bankruptcy was Chapter 11.

Cloudy

Banned
What happened to the GOP outrage on this issue? Why no calls for investigations and prosecutions? It seems their only problem with the issue now is that they got caught.

To be honest it's a bogus issue and not unexpected when you're paying people based on the number of folks they register.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wouldn't read too much into it.

One case where there actually may be a "silent majority" as older voters in more rural areas may be less inclined to watch these videos online.

Regardless, it does show the very large divide and problem the republicans have with social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom