• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Mitt . . . you are already way behind and your own campaign says you'll lose the first debate. That pretty much seals it up, eh. How about instead of continuing to run, you just donate all your campaign money to charity and ask Obama to do the same.

We will then all be spared this pointless excercise and gigantic waste of money while accomplishing something good.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hey Mitt . . . you are already way behind and your own campaign says you'll lose the first debate. That pretty much seals it up, eh. How about instead of continuing to run, you just donate all your campaign money to charity and ask Obama to do the same.

We will then all be spared this pointless excercise and gigantic waste of money while accomplishing something good.

Sounds like a good idea.
Would be ironic if he won because of such a move.

Zzoram

Hey Mitt . . . you are already way behind and your own campaign says you'll lose the first debate. That pretty much seals it up, eh. How about instead of continuing to run, you just donate all your campaign money to The Mormon Church and ask Obama to do the same.

Fixed

Mitt is in Philly for a fundraiser. He's taken a lot of heat for fundraising in states over campaigning like I Cali. My guess is to avoid criticism, the Romney campaign is claiming to be there cuz it's in play even though they know it's not.

Mitt has lot of fundraising to come too, lol.

Forever

Banned
Mitt is in Philly for a fundraiser. He's taken a lot of heat for fundraising in states over campaigning like I Cali. My guess is to avoid criticism, the Romney campaign is claiming to be there cuz it's in play even though they know it's not.

I think close to the end Mitt will use his own money to finance his campaign. If he does that in October he won't have to disclose it until after the election, right? I hope he goes more broke than Hillary did.

pigeon

Banned

What happens, exactly, if the richest Presidential candidate in the last 200 years runs out of cash to finance his campaign?

Besides a hilarious new Halperin book.

edit:
I think close to the end Mitt will use his own money to finance his campaign. If he does that in October he won't have to disclose it until after the election, right? I hope he goes more broke than Hillary did.

That's okay. He can just write it off when he files his tax returns for next year.

Tim-E

Mitt now banking on Pennsylvania?

Books will be written about this campaign and it will be the template for many future presidential hopefuls to exemplify how to NOT run your campaign.

Zzoram

I wonder how Romney feels about how unwanted he is by both the GOP and America. The poor rich guy was probably surrounded by Yes Men most of his life who told him he could become the President if he wanted.

Q: How many more pages of this thread can Dude Abides and Forever use to continue to argue in circles?
A: Polls say 10, but after unskewing their biased sampling processes... it's more like 25.

Jackson50

That's so fucked up. I'm a very peaceful person, but if you insult my mom, then all bets are off. I almost punched my best friend once because he insulted my mom. If I was the President, there would be a magical 5 pound bag of coke found in that guy's office.
That's why cool Barry Obama is president and you are not. Don't sweat the little guys.
Data about late breaking undecided voters and impact of debates from over 20 years ago is virtually worthless in the current much more polarized and information rich environment. People pay attention to presidential campaigns much earlier than they used to, by choice or not.
It's not virtually worthless. And for what it's worth, the same pattern emerges. The likely cause being most voters are already engaged by the time the debates occur regardless of the era. But even if the environ has altered voter behavior as you posit, it would only further diminish the effect of the debates on public opinion. So I wouldn't expect a dramatic effect from the debates. They still might provide entertainment, though. I hope to see Romney squirm.

syllogism

It's not virtually worthless. And for what it's worth, the same pattern emerges. The likely cause being most voters are already engaged by the time the debates occur regardless of the era. But even if the environ has altered voter behavior as you posit, it would only further diminish the effect of the debates on public opinion. So I wouldn't expect a dramatic effect from the debates. They still might provide entertainment, though. I hope to see Romney squirm.
I agree with you and I was insinuating that the debates will not have much of an impact, barring a complete collapse. I was making the broader point that attempting to use dated information in a very different environment isn't particularly convincing. This is more related to, say, convention bounces, which these days they tend to be less pronounced and yet they get talked about a lot every cycle. So not really directed at your post; of course if you can show that the debates didn't have much of an impact even back then, it's even more likely to be the case today.

e: what a mess

Romney is the most disliked presidential candidate in recent history. Wow.

I'm still amazed by this. This is so over. More people dislike the guy than like the guy. You can't win an election with that kind of person. Say what you want about Bush being stupid & having bad policies . . . part of the reason he won is that he was a personable guy . . . the guy that you would like to have a beer with. Mitt is just not that guy.

Of course, you could not have a beer with Bush nor Mitt.

AniHawk

it's probably old, but there's some good stuff here

http://arresteddecision2012.tumblr.com/

tumblr_maxvpaPWYV1qdr920.jpg

I'm still amazed by this. This is so over. More people dislike the guy than like the guy. You can't win an election with that kind of person. Say what you want about Bush being stupid & having bad policies . . . part of the reason he won is that he was a personable guy . . . the guy that you would like to have a beer with. Mitt is just not that guy.

Of course, you could not have a beer with Bush nor Mitt.
Can't have a beer with Mitt.

Obama makes beer for you.

Choice is clear.

Akin is arguably running the worst campaign of all time, and still will probably win

Todd Akin Suggests Employers Should Be Able To Pay Women Less
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/todd-akin-suggests-employers-should-be-able-to

Consultant Compares Akin’s Resolve To That Of David Koresh
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/consultant-compares-akins-fortitude-to-that-of-david
Well, that would probably be the 2nd worse campaign of all time then.

And holy fuck at the Koresh quote.

Al-ibn Kermit

Akin is arguably running the worst campaign of all time, and still will probably win

Todd Akin Suggests Employers Should Be Able To Pay Women Less
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/todd-akin-suggests-employers-should-be-able-to

Consultant Compares Akin’s Resolve To That Of David Koresh
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/consultant-compares-akins-fortitude-to-that-of-david

It sounds like he just thinks that government should have nothing to do with business decisions. You could probably get him to endorse a business owner's right to pay men less. And Akin's stand against everybody else will inspire the lunatic fringe.

He is a total martyr, or a narcissist. I dunno.

Dear Governor Romney and Those Who Criticize the Poor:

I was a teenage mother. I graduated near the top of my class, while holding down a job and raising a child. I have two college degrees. I earned both while working full-time, going to school full-time, taking care of my family, and volunteering countless hours to the youth in my community. I was on the Dean’s list and graduated with high honors, both times - because I worked my butt off. I have a student loan that I pay on time every month, and which is the equivalent of many people’s car payment. I have been in the workforce since I was 16-years-old and have never collected an unemployment check. I have been an elected official on my local town Council. I am 38 years old now, married, and own my own home. I pay taxes and have a higher effective tax rate than Governor Romney. I did this by working hard AND because people invested in and believed in me; family, teachers, college professors, and friends who did not believe I was a throw-away.

Have I been the beneficiary of government programs for which you have so much disdain? Yes. I have used food stamps to feed my daughter and Medicaid to ensure she was healthy. And it is because of these programs that I am not another statistic for you to look down upon. I am not a failure. I may not be your version of middle class or success since I don’t earn the $200,000 a year that would qualify me as middle class in your view. But I am successful. I have contributed far more, through volunteering in my community and the taxes that I have paid, than I ever took from the system.

I am not naïve enough to believe that no one takes advantage of the system meant to be a safety net for them. But I am also intelligent enough, and humane enough, to know that there are far more who simply need help in trying times.

Instead of painting, with a broad brush, everyone who finds themselves in less than desirable circumstances as lazy, dependent, and unmotivated, perhaps you could take the time to get to know those you chastise, degrade, dehumanize, and condemn? You do not know the story of the person standing in front of you in line at the supermarket using a food stamp card. You cannot identify with them, either because you have never been there or because you see yourself as better than they are. Yet you feel you have the right to pass judgment, berate, and belittle them. You consider them your charity case, instead of seeing them as a human being. Judge not, lest ye shall be judged. Isn’t that what Jesus said?

I would have been a “lost cause” and another statistic if you had your way. I may not be successful in your eyes. But, nonetheless, I am the definition of success – of the real American middle class – and I am a part of the 47% who will not vote for Mitt Romney. Not because I am a leech or dependent upon government. Not because I feel as though I deserve a hand-out or because I feel entitled. Not because I don’t work hard. And not because I see myself as a victim. But because I have been through hard times and I am thankful for those who never gave up on me. I was the working poor and am fortunate enough to no longer be. But I, unlike you, know what it means to have nothing. And I have not forgotten what that feels like.

Sincerely,
Carrie Robinson - one of the 47%

From my Facebook feed.

Goddamn. ;___;

markatisu

From my Facebook feed.

Goddamn. ;___;
Good times.

Unfortunately it's all too common for people to just forget what it was ever like being poor as soon as they're on their feet.

My mom was recently saying we should consider voting for Romney because my parents' combined annual income is nudging closer to $200,000 and thus we'd soon be the beneficiaries of Romney's big tax breaks.

Just to clarify, both of my parents work in the public sector. My mom is a social worker for the state, a job in which most of her clients are on welfare or food stamps, and would certainly take the brunt of Romney/Ryan's proposed budget cuts. My dad works for the post office, and I guess I don't know how Romney specifically feels about this, but at least in Minnesota it's been Republicans leading the charge to dismantle USPS. They also have two kids who have taken out thousands in student loans.

I'm pretty sure they're still voting for Obama, but it's so easy to fool the middle class by dangling tax cuts in front of them. Sure, my dad could lose his job and Hennepin County would be bleeding money, but our tax refunds might be slightly higher!

Also:

catholic_voters.png

But Obama pissed off every Catholic by mandating birth control, which they are all uniformly against! Along with the Jews voting for Romney on Israel alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom