• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Member
Regardless, it does show the very large divide and problem the republicans have with social media.

Certain social medias. I feel like they're doing quite well on Facebook, actually. I think the weird chain email crap translates well into Facebook's platform.

Chumly

Member
Liquidation is when you transform all the solid assets of a company into liquid assets to pay off creditors -- hence, liquidation. Bankruptcy is when you declare that you can't pay your debts. In many countries, bankruptcy leads directly to liquidation, but in the United States there are some options that allow you to avoid it, such as Chapter 11 -- which lets you restructure your debt, present a plan for paying it off, and go on operating under the auspices of the court, with Chapter 7 (liquidation) waiting in the wings if you fail. The auto bankruptcy was Chapter 11.
The whole problem though was that there was no private money that was available to allow them to actually restructure under chapter 11 and without the government money it would have become a chapter 7 liquidation.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"They're not racist, they're just making racist comments" is a distinction not worth discussing.

It is a matter of historical fact that the Obama campaign seized on innocuous comments like "fairy tale" and tried to make it a racial issue.

It's sad when people can't tell the difference between saying someone was racial insensitive in their words and are actual racist as people.

Forever

Banned
It's sad when people can't tell the difference between saying someone was racial insensitive in their words and are actual racist as people.

He lives in his own world, leave him be.

You know what's fun?

Reading Freepers' meltdown over Ryan saying that he wouldn't move to reinstate DADT.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2937224/posts?q=1&;page=1

When will these Republicans learn that running against Obama never ends well for your career?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
OMG...Romney's new secret...Pennsylvania is competitive

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81789.html?hp=l2

Code:
The New York Times/Quinnipiac		9/24	54.0	42.0	Obama +12.0
Franklin & Marshall			9/23	52.0	43.0	Obama +9.0
Mercyhurst College			9/20	48.0	40.0	Obama +8.0
Susquehanna				9/20	47.0	45.0	Obama +2.0
Rasmussen				9/19	51.0	39.0	Obama +12.0
PPP					9/18	52.0	40.0	Obama +12.0
We Ask America *			9/18	48.1	42.2	Obama +5.9
Susquehanna				9/17	48.0	47.0	Obama +1.0
Muhlenberg				9/16	50.0	41.0	Obama +9.0
YouGov					9/14	52.0	43.0	Obama +9.0
Philadelphia Inquirer			9/12	50.0	39.0	Obama +11.0

Oh, sorry, I wasn't looking at the unskewed poll.

Code:
The New York Times/Quinnipiac		9/24	54.0	42.0	Obama +12.0
Franklin & Marshall			9/23	52.0	43.0	Obama +9.0
Mercyhurst College			9/20	48.0	40.0	Obama +8.0
Susquehanna				9/20	47.0	45.0	Obama +2.0
Rasmussen				9/19	51.0	39.0	Obama +12.0
PPP					9/18	52.0	40.0	Obama +12.0
We Ask America *			9/18	48.1	42.2	Obama +5.9
Susquehanna				9/17	48.0	47.0	Obama +1.0
Muhlenberg				9/16	50.0	41.0	Obama +9.0
YouGov					9/14	52.0	43.0	Obama +9.0
Philadelphia Inquirer			9/12	50.0	39.0	Obama +11.0

Oh, sorry, I wasn't looking at the unskewed poll.
Hey now, Susquehanna is showing a tight race!

Tamanon

Banned
Does PA have some downticket races he might be trying to shift turnout for? Otherwise the only way it makes sense is if his campaign is trying a false strength narrative.

Which means the return of #RomneyStrength!

ToxicAdam

Member
Yea, but what happens to those polls when Philadelphia experiences a massive power outage and multiple bomb threats on election day? I bet your fancy numbers don't reflect that.

-- // --

Nate Silver said:
I kind of realized after writing this book that I don't particularly like politics that much. I definitely like elections, as they're fun to forecast and to watch evolve, but I don't particularly like the day to day of politics or some of the people who end up getting involved."

I know that feel Nate.

Brinbe

Member
OMG...Romney's new secret...Pennsylvania is competitive

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81789.html?hp=l2
hahaha, well, Rombot did gain in 2 points in the MCall poll released today. Too bad he's still down 7 points!

But he really has no choice. He needs to make PA competitive to have any chance of winning and the demographics in play could play better than other places, but he's making his move entirely too late. He should have concentrated on PA during the Summer months in the lead-up to the convention.

syllogism

Member
OMG...Romney's new secret...Pennsylvania is competitive

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81789.html?hp=l2
A bit mixed messages

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...04bb72-0915-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html

“We really would shock people if early in the evening of Nov. 6 it looked like Pennsylvania was going to come our way and actually did come our way. That can happen,” Romney told about 200 donors who paid as much as $50,000 to attend his morning fundraiser.

codhand

Member
Code:
The New York Times/Quinnipiac		9/24	54.0	42.0	Obama +12.0
Franklin & Marshall			9/23	52.0	43.0	Obama +9.0
Mercyhurst College			9/20	48.0	40.0	Obama +8.0
Susquehanna				9/20	47.0	45.0	Obama +2.0
Rasmussen				9/19	51.0	39.0	Obama +12.0
PPP					9/18	52.0	40.0	Obama +12.0
We Ask America *			9/18	48.1	42.2	Obama +5.9
[B]Susquehanna[/B]				9/17	48.0	47.0	Obama +1.0
Muhlenberg				9/16	50.0	41.0	Obama +9.0
YouGov					9/14	52.0	43.0	Obama +9.0
Philadelphia Inquirer			9/12	50.0	39.0	Obama +11.0

Doubt Susquehanna at your own peril my friend.

I think Obama has a higher chance of winning Indiana again than Romney does of winning Pennsylvania.

I wonder how big a bonus he doled out to his advisers who told him to do this. This whole campaign really is a product of the financial sector.

227856_353414318081370_2067481121_n.jpg

Damn, not sure who to feel sorry for more. Baby or Mittens.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I could accept that distinction for Kerry, but not for Romney. Then again, as Obama painfully reminds us, part of being President is being a leader.

ezekial45

Banned
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...seeks-to-lower-debate-expectations/?hpt=hp_t1

Memo from Romney camp on why Obama will win the first debate.

From: Beth Myers, Senior Adviser
To: Interested Parties
Date: September 27, 2012
Re: 2012 Presidential Debates

In a matter of days, Governor Romney and President Obama will meet on the presidential debate stage. President Obama is a universally-acclaimed public speaker and has substantial debate experience under his belt. However, the record he's compiled over the last four years – higher unemployment, lower incomes, rising energy costs, and a national debt spiraling out of control – means this will be a close election right up to November 6th.

Between now and then, President Obama and Governor Romney will debate three times. While Governor Romney has the issues and the facts on his side, President Obama enters these contests with a significant advantage on a number of fronts.

Voters already believe – by a 25-point margin – that President Obama is likely to do a better job in these debates. Given President Obama's natural gifts and extensive seasoning under the bright lights of the debate stage, this is unsurprising. President Obama is a uniquely gifted speaker, and is widely regarded as one of the most talented political communicators in modern history. This will be the eighth one-on-one presidential debate of his political career. For Mitt Romney, it will be his first.

Four years ago, Barack Obama faced John McCain on the debate stage. According to Gallup, voters judged him the winner of each debate by double-digit margins, and their polling showed he won one debate by an astounding 33-point margin. In the 2008 primary, he faced Hillary Clinton, another formidable opponent – debating her one-on-one numerous times and coming out ahead. The takeaway? Not only has President Obama gained valuable experience in these debates, he also won them comfortably.

But what must President Obama overcome? His record. Based on the campaign he's run so far, it's clear that President Obama will use his ample rhetorical gifts and debating experience to one end: attacking Mitt Romney. Since he won't – and can't – talk about his record, he'll talk about Mitt Romney. We fully expect a 90-minute attack ad aimed at tearing down his opponent. If President Obama is as negative as we expect, he will have missed an opportunity to let the American people know his vision for the next four years and the policies he'd pursue. That's not an opportunity Mitt Romney will pass up. He will talk about the big choice in this election – the choice between President Obama's government-centric vision and Mitt Romney's vision for an opportunity society with more jobs, higher take-home pay, a better-educated workforce, and millions of Americans lifted out of poverty into the middle class.

This election will not be decided by the debates, however. It will be decided by the American people. Regardless of who comes out on top in these debates, they know we can't afford another four years like the last four years. And they will ultimately choose a better future by electing Mitt Romney to be our next president.

Jackson50

Member
I didn't say anything about winning debates, that's subjective. All I said is the debates are useful for independents and uninformed voters, aka most of America. Not everyone reads poligaf daily or watches the news, these debates cater more so to that audience and are important. Simply dismissing them does not make any sense to me, sorry.

EDIT: Also, I'll just leave this here - http://voices.washingtonpost.com/behind-the-numbers/2008/10/reagans_comeback.html
Debates are effective at informing voters. Yet they do not inform undecided voters. Rather, they present new information which largely reinforces partisan predispositions. And that's a function of the audience which is hardly representative of the broader public. Instead, the audience trends towards partisans, or independents with a partisan orientation, who maintain an enduring interest in politics. Further, given the late juncture of the cycle, most independents, which is a modest group to begin with, have already committed; thus, the number of true uncommitted voters is miniscule. The notion of an impressionable mass is spurious. And the nominal shifts in public opinion after the debates in previous cycles reflect this.

I posted a graph a few weeks back substantiating that article. The narrative of Reagan's comeback is false. He led Carter since late spring. Moreover, attributing Reagan's late bounce to his debate performance ignores two important factors which coincide with the debates: poor economic news and another setback in Iran.

syllogism

Member
Data about late breaking undecided voters and impact of debates from over 20 years ago is virtually worthless in the current much more polarized and information rich environment. People pay attention to presidential campaigns much earlier than they used to, by choice or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom