• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
animation1prr1a.gif

i can't predict when the media's going to fixate on a loud exhalation!

if i could i'd use my powers to be PD 2.0

Diablos

I feel the same way.

Been thinking about this debate, Romney and co. have been really hyping the fact that he has been preparing very hard, has a whole line of zingers ready, and that Obama has barely been practicing. I feel like expectations are quite high for him and if he flails tonight, it's going to damage him pretty bad, on the other hand, if he wins the debate, but Obama is not completely destroyed, I don't think it will hurt Obama that badly. I think they miscalculated by trying to create that hype. I dunno, guess we'll find out shortly. :/
Well, a lot of it is the media/narrative. Romney fucked up bad, now it's his turn to (try and) shine, and if enough people jump on that bandwagon they'll be cooking up a "omg how can Obama combat the reformed Mitt Romney" narrative. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Tim-E

Here are some zingers Romney used in a speech on Monday:

"Obama doesn't just like picking winners and losers. He likes picking losers"
"We've had 43 straight months with unemployment above 8 percent, and what does the president have to say to all this? He says `forward.' I think `forewarned' is a better term"
"He's out of ideas, he's out of excuses, and on November 6th you're going to put him out of office"
"He's making us more and more like Europe. I don't want to be like Europe. Europe doesn't work in Europe"

Oh man! Obama must be shakin' in his boots! And we thought Reagan was good at zingers!

Well, a lot of it is the media/narrative. Romney fucked up bad, now it's his turn to (try and) shine, and if enough people jump on that bandwagon they'll be cooking up a "omg how can Obama combat the reformed Mitt Romney" narrative. Rinse, wash, repeat.

and if enough people jump on the bandwagon that the sky is green, it'll turn green

Romney is definitely going into the debates with an advantage since expectations for him are so low after the wretched two months he's had.

If RomneyBot can stick to what he was programmed to do in these debates then he'll probably come out with a couple points bounce from the debate. This is assuming he doesn't stumble all over himself on foreign policy and isn't forced to explain the details of his tax plan.

Diablos

Romney is definitely going into the debates with an advantage since expectations for him are so low after the wretched two months he's had.

If RomneyBot can stick to what he was programmed to do in these debates then he'll probably come out with a couple points bounce from the debate. This is assuming he doesn't stumble all over himself on foreign policy and isn't forced to explain the details of his tax plan.
Yeah, at this point not repeating September's fumbles are about all he needs to do to in order to, if nothing else, neutralize all the baggage that came from his suckiness as a candidate shining through last month.

Averon

The thing is, Obama doesn't need to "win" these debates. All he has to do is not fuck up by making a gaffe or be completely overwhelmed by Romney. Obama has to rundown out the clock. Romney, on the other hand, needs a fantastic debate performance and probably an Obama gaffe to move the needle to any significant degree.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Oh, for sure, the media latched on to that narrative, but the whole 'Romney has been practicing like Rocky' thing definitely came from their side... I'm pretty sure they wanted to get that narrative.

Holy mother of fucking awesome

RT @ppppolls: Richard Carmona 45 Jeff Flake 43. Full results up sometime before 4.

Obviously, within MOE and lots of undecideds. But I said damn!

And before anyone gets too excited

@ppppolls
Obama's down by 9 on our Arizona poll even as Carmona leads by 2...not a crazy pro-Dem sample

Obama can end the election tonight, though I doubt it happens. I feel like if these 2 things can happen the right way, they would.

1. The right attack on 47%. If I were Obama, I'd say something like "When I was elected, a lot of middle-class auto workers didn't vote for me. But that didn't stop me from working for them and securing the auto bailout that saved over 1 million jobs including those that belonged to those that didn't vote for me and may not still vote for me. The Governor said it's not his job to work for those that don't vote for him. This is a point where there's a real contrast. I believe as President I work for everyone and I've proven it. And I would continue to do it just like I am trying to pass a Jobs bill and bring down the deficit by asking those most fortunate like myself and the Governor to pay a little more in taxes.

2. Just directly ask Romney if he thinks it's fair for him to pay less in taxes at 14% than many middle class families. Don't let him weasel out of "blah blah investment" BS. Really take him to task on this one. Force Mitt into a corner on his own tax rates. We know Mitt won't directly answer it, but it could be very damaging.

I really believe if Obama does #2 and does it right, the election could be over as a result. Mitt essentially implying his 14% is fair compared to a middle class person paying more would be the nail in the coffin.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
So I didn't want to make this post for some time, but figured I'd do it here first since this is where I've parked the majority of my time since I registered.

A few years back I was diagnosed with stage 4 thymic carcinoma. i was 28 at the time, worked out 4 times a week a the gym and at the peak of my health. didn't smoke, didn't do drugs.

conventional treatment held the cancer back until it reappeared in early 2011. i've been in treatment since to first - attempt to remove all traces of the disease through a clincial trial and surgery, and when that failed treat it as a chronic disease treatable through chemotherapy.

I think I've finally entered the stage where my body is saying no more. no, my doctor and i haven't mentioned the word 'terminal' yet, but it's expected going by the survival rates to my cancer and its current progression. i've been on oxygen therapy since mid August after the disease teamed up with my chemo treatment and the flu to escalate whatever damage is already occurring to my lungs and heart. although i am still undergoing chemo and have hope that a new trial drug just opened for me, i don't know how much longer my body can take. i've barely left the house in 2 months except to go to the hospital as it's a struggle on my lungs, chest and core to walk while feeling oxygen deprived. I've gone from taking mass transit to my work and chemo appointments in February, to taking cabs to them in June, to now not being able to leave the house at all. That's not progress.

This thread has provided hours of entertainment over the years, much to my girlfriend's consternation in 2008. Thanks for the spirited debate, guys. I don't recognize a lot of you here, but I still see some of the standbys. I hope I provided some insightful commentary in the past.

I'll still post when I can. Don't treat me like a ghost when i do.

you can reach me at endless17@gmail.com for any correspondence. otherwise IM.

So I didn't want to make this post for some time, but figured I'd do it here first since this is where I've parked the majority of my time since I registered.

A few years back I was diagnosed with stage 4 thymic carcinoma. i was 28 at the time, worked out 4 times a week a the gym and at the peak of my health. didn't smoke, didn't do drugs.

conventional treatment held the cancer back until it reappeared in early 2011. i've been in treatment since to first - attempt to remove all traces of the disease through a clincial trial and surgery, and when that failed treat it as a chronic disease treatable through chemotherapy.

I think I've finally entered the stage where my body is saying no more. no, my doctor and i haven't mentioned the word 'terminal' yet, but it's expected going by the survival rates to my cancer and its current progression. i've been on oxygen therapy since mid August after the disease teamed up with my chemo treatment and the flu to escalate whatever damage is already occurring to my lungs and heart. although i am still undergoing chemo and have hope that a new trial drug just opened for me, i don't know how much longer my body can take. i've barely left the house in 2 months except to go to the hospital as it's a struggle on my lungs, chest and core to walk while feeling oxygen deprived. I've gone from taking mass transit to my work and chemo appointments in February, to taking cabs to them in June, to now not being able to leave the house at all. That's not progress.

This thread has provided hours of entertainment over the years, much to my girlfriend's consternation in 2008. Thanks for the spirited debate, guys. I don't recognize a lot of you here, but I still see some of the standbys. I hope I provided some insightful commentary in the past.

you can reach me at dave.hsia@gmail.com for any correspondence. otherwise IM.

Damn, man, sorry to hear that. We never really conversed, but I've seen and enjoyed your posts over OT (your avatar is always noticeable). I really hope somehow things turn around.

codhand

Damn, dude, you've been posting here a lot longer than me, all the best to you and the waifu.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I hope you get better scorcho. I can't fathom what that must be like. Best of luck!

Loudninja

Very sorry to hear that,I really hope everything works out for you and you can continue post on gaf for many more yeas to come.

Stay strong man.

I hope that the chemo and trial drung help dude. All the best and hope things turn around!

SmokeMaxX

Damn sorry to hear that. How'd it all start? Like did you have a feeling or was there some sort of sign that you had cancer?

Man dude :/ I don't think we've ever really talked before but I hope you can turn it around. Cancer sucks.

wrt the arizona poll... I dunno, I don't think Carmona can pull it out. I feel sort of the same about Joe Donnelly, it doesn't matter if they have a 2-3 point lead if there's a significant chunk of undecideds that will probably fall in line with their state's voting pattern. Of course, I'd be very happy if both candidates won.

Effect

Here are some zingers Romney used in a speech on Monday:

Oh man! Obama must be shakin' in his boots! And we thought Reagan was good at zingers!

This highlights another problem with "zingers". Romney as a speaker tries to play to the crowd. There will be no crowd for him to play to. Sure they'll be there but they won't be reacting. Even if they could he won't be in front of a 100% far right wing crowd. As a result anything he says is going to fall incredibly flat followed up by his awkward fake laugh. The setting, format, and topic are going to serious and if he tries to make jokes it's going to come off looking horrible. Romney in general is comes off as awkward and he has to try and not make that even worse. Presentation is very important.

I wonder what the Romney camp's reaction was when the format was finally announced. If he's all scripted he's going to run out of things to say, especially if a follow up ask and forces him to go off script.

Hmm. Will he come with his make up on tonight as well I wonder.

I made a thread in the OT. Hope you don't mind.

I always notice you. Best of luck. <3

I'm sending you positive thoughts. Hope you feel better dude.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
thanks for the warm wishes. i suppose i could've introduced myself better - i haven't contributed much to PoliGAF except in random bursts since the cancer returned back in early 2011.

shit's been real. on the plus side i've been given a fuckton of morphine and oxy that'll be useful for tonight's debate.

oddly enough, the only poster here who i believe knew of my case/condition is Bulbo. we will always share a strong bond, though we've never met.

I made a thread in the OT. Hope you don't mind.

I always notice you. Best of luck. <3

Thanks Dax01 :), but i'm sure it'll sink in due time. i'm not as notorious as PD or Spec to make my passing notable in this community. i think most of my contributions sucked right as the cancer took back control of my life and thoughts. well, at least that's the excuse :)

scorcho, I've always enjoyed reading your posts, and never skip over them when I see your avatar (whether in PoliGAF or any other thread). No doubt I will enjoy your future ones. I hope very much that things turn around for you.

XenodudeX

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The expectations right now are HIGH. He NEEDS completely turn around this thing in his favor. He's losing. Badly.

Just listen to Chris Christie. He needs to turn this thing upside down.

Dude Abides

Banned
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The expectations right now are HIGH. He NEEDS completely turn around this thing in his favor. He's losing. Badly.

Just listen to Chris Christie. He needs to turn this thing upside down.

That's not what people mean when they talk about expectations. They are talking about how he's expected to do compared to Obama. The prevailing sentiment is that he's a phony who steps on his own dick all the time, and that he'll come off that way in the debate.

gcubed

thanks for the warm wishes. i suppose i could've introduced myself better - i haven't contributed much to PoliGAF except in random bursts since the cancer returned back in early 2011.

shit's been real. on the plus side i've been given a fuckton of morphine and oxy that'll be useful for tonight's debate.

oddly enough, the only poster here who i believe knew of my case/condition is Bulbo. we will always share a strong bond, though we've never met.

Thanks Dax01 :), but i'm sure it'll sink in due time. i'm not as notorious as PD or Spec to make my passing notable in this community. i think most of my contributions sucked right as the cancer took back control of my life and thoughts. well, at least that's the excuse :)

you have an anal lube avatar, you're very noticeable. I went through an agressive cancer with my mother 2 years ago and I hope that any kind of treatment you get can work or at least stall/reverse progression. It always makes it worse and very scary to know someone my age struggling with it... if you aren't around a younger person who has cancer its very easy to pass it off as an problem once you get older.

At the very least I hope you can enjoy all the time you have left.

Don't sell yourself short. I only lurk this thread but you're a great poster. I hope things turn around

BBC have gotten round to making a Predict-The-Election map. Of more interest is a selection of predictions from "experts". The BBC employees are backing Obama to win by a nose, the Republican employee is backing Romney to win (duh) and the other two predictions are flat-out landslides in favour of Obama.

What time will the debates start for us GAFers in Europe? Specifically, Germany?

2am British Summer Time (BBC News is carrying it, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sky News did likewise, probably the best possible late night filler for a news channel) so probably 3am for Germans.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear about this. I can't even imagine how hard things must be for you. You are most definitely in my thoughts, I hope things turn around for you. Cancer is an awful thing that no one should have to go through. I know we personally haven't conversed much, but I have always thought of you highly, and look forward to your posts whenever I see them. Be well, be strong.

I've been a lurker here since forever (with an unasked for name change though I doubt my old one rings any bells - mamacint), but you're always one of my fav poligaf posters

here's hoping the new drug is a miracle one

Not gonna hear that talk. You're gonna pull through buddy.

gcubed

BBC have gotten round to making a Predict-The-Election map. Of more interest is a selection of predictions from "experts". The BBC employees are backing Obama to win by a nose, the Republican employee is backing Romney to win (duh) and the other two predictions are flat-out landslides in favour of Obama.

2am British Summer Time (BBC News is carrying it, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sky News did likewise, probably the best possible late night filler for a news channel) so probably 3am for Germans.

some of those picks are like liking into a world of stupid

Clevinger

in honor of Romney's Dream Act flip flop (and then flip back) yesterday, some new Latino polling from NBC/WSJ/Telemundo:

"Obama leads Republican challenger Mitt Romney among Latino registered voters, 70 percent to 20 percent, and with an equal margin among likely Latino voters, 71 percent to 21 percent. That is an increase of 15 points from August, and outpaces Obama’s 2008 split (67 percent to 31 percent) over John McCain."

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
just turned on foxnews.

Joe Trippi, manager of the 2004 Howard Dean campaign just said:

Wait... wait... that was considered a great line? I found it frightening, actually.

Frightening? That is a pretty dumb emotion after that quote. It was probably one of the best of the campaign, especially since Romney is usually terrible.

Chichikov

That sucks.
For what it's worth (and it's not worth a lot) I always enjoyed your posts, both in poligaf and elsewhere.
Stay strong.

I'll always treat you like anal lube.
Always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom