• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
So I just started watching it after getting chicken little vibe from here and I think most are over reacting. I'm sure the conversation here changed the shit pre debate opinion but coming in thinking he was destroying Obama it seems to me like Romney is appealing to the GOP.

Cut PBS, merging fat and cut taxes to 0 infinite revenue arent winning topics

SHUT UP AND PANIC!

PD is a prophet!

Romney is going hard at Obama. He's hitting all the republican talking points too. I REALLY hope Obama says something.

I just saw him say he wasn't entitled to his own facts. Then he follows up with... Nothing? Why isn't Obama going at this? You say you're going keep education as it is and help out people who need it but won't tell us what you'll cut? C'mon man. I can fucking add. Numbers don't lie. The money has to come from some where.

coldfoot

Banned
To an intelligent guy, Obama won. However you have to concede that Romney talks more like a salesman that will seem more effective to more ignorant/less intelligent people. I am raging at Obama not attacking Mitt, he should go hard, his Democrat audience isn't going to mind...we all understand the need to appeal to lesser people.

pigeon

Banned
Fair enough.

So fact checkers who is lying about what in the debate, and why isn't Obama calling him out on it?

Politifact is pretty consistent that everything Romney says is mostly false and everything Obama says is mostly true. They don't seem to have a page for why Obama decided to play a "be as careful as conceivably possible" strategy, although I guess with the leads he had, it may have been a good idea regardless of how bad it looks now.

obama was clearly holding back and letting romney be aggressive. it looks like he lost, BUT i will trust the strategerizers over at the obama camp because this definitely seemed calculated and not just a flop.

To an intelligent guy, Obama won. However you have to concede that Romney talks more like a salesman that will seem more effective to more ignorant/less intelligent people.
This is very true. Obama seemed to stutter. Almost like he believed he was going to stomp Romney and just wasn't ready.

Romney has basically said the talking points but he isn't saying what he would do. That's what's blowing my mind.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bill Maher will probably rage at Obama not attacking Mittens

He's attacked him plenty. People are just getting too caught up on Obama taking his time to speak and explain his comments.

IN FACT, it's the same bullshit Obama was lambasted for during his primary run in '08 against Hillary and it made zero fucking difference. Voters haven't bought into the rhetoric thus far, and this debate won't change shit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't see the debate moving opinion much.
I'll be curious to see what the polls say about the debate.

To an intelligent guy, Obama won. However you have to concede that Romney talks more like a salesman that will seem more effective to more ignorant/less intelligent people. I am raging at Obama not attacking Mitt, he should go hard, his Democrat audience isn't going to mind...we all understand the need to appeal to lesser people.

Pretty much this.

Romney only "won" if you're an ignorant moron who has no idea what's been going on. Obama had far more substance and best of all, reality on his dide.

Here's an idea: Obama is spending much more on media than Romney. He let Romney give them a whole debate of untrue statements, which was only encouraged by the "zinger" media prep talk.

It's kind of disgusting watching it from the CNN stream with fucking twitter comments.

Romney started strong, but this isn't going to help his likeability metrics at ALL.

He comes out as the arrogant rich bully.

The media will universally declare him a winner, but the polls wont even creek.

He's attacked him plenty. People are just getting too caught up on Obama taking his time to speak and explain his comments.

IN FACT, it's the same bullshit Obama was lambasted for during his primary run in '08 against Hillary and it made zero fucking difference. Voters haven't bought into the rhetoric thus far, and this debate won't change shit.

No, Obama missed opportunities to really attack Romney back. Best thing i read was Obama is talking to the nation, Romney is talking to Obama.

Obama should have gone after him directly some.

any running counters on the amount of lies from fact checkers?

the obama camp should try and make the story about his lies, like they did with ryan's RNC speech, if this is the consensus among fact checkers.

pigeon

Banned
No, Obama missed opportunities to really attack Romney back. Best thing i read was Obama is talking to the nation, Romney is talking to Obama.

Obama should have gone after him directly some.

It's never been his style. Expect to see some attack ads in the next week, though. "I've sent plenty of jobs overseas." and "get the federal government out of education"

Because Romney came off like he had an actual record and well-thought out ideas to a regular Joe, IMO.

Obama should have said he has no real plan. He should have directly said things weren't true. He almost got to it at one point but pulled back.

He should have called out Romney for flip-flopping and even the 47% stuff. This was a debate the end of the election was possible and Obama whiffed.

It's never been his style. Expect to see some attack ads in the next week, though. "I've sent plenty of jobs overseas." and "get the federal government out of education"

Yeah, I know, but he was soooo close to it. He didn't need a lot, just some. He totally should have called out Romney's own taxes, too.

That wasn't so much a debate as it was Romney dominating with his energy. Despite the fact he continues dancing around specifics for anything, he won easily.

Question is: are everyone's minds already made up?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Somehow Romney came off better than McCain did in '08 in my mind. McCain really seemed like an out of touch codger, Romney may have been superficial about it, but he tried to sound like he cares about the average American. I suppose now, we sit back and watch the polls. I imagine the national poll gets a little closer and the swing states stay about the same.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

This is the core of the problem. Funny enough there was just a guy on Colbert last night, a preacher at the head of the movement to allow churches to back political candidates and he demonstrated how these people win the public over: he was loud mouthed, aggressive, leaned forward in a dominating manner. His tone insinuated that whoever you are, you're weaker than him and already wrong.

Dumber Americans are still conditioned to respond to this shit and the manufactured outrage. If someone says it angrily and forcefully it must be truer because belief and confidence are what define reality. Intelligence, questioning, skepticism, being cautious and considerate is for weaklings that bullies feel they can dominate.

Obama's problem is that since day one he's done his best to act like an actual mature human being, even in the face of the other side being determined to destroy him purely for the sake of doing so. Perhaps he's just in an unworkable situation. And there's no realistic way out. But Obama does refuse to press, he does refuse to get angry past a little tiny bit because he seems to want to do the right thing.

Sadly, that may not be enough.

gcubed

Because Romney came off like he had an actual record and well-thought out ideas to a regular Joe, IMO.

Obama should have said he has no real plan. He should have directly said things weren't true. He almost got to it at one point but pulled back.

He should have called out Romney for flip-flopping and even the 47% stuff. This was a debate the end of the election was possible and Obama whiffed.

There is no possible gain for Obama personally attacking Romney, there is no possible downfall for Romney attacking Obama directly.

When you're up by 6 with 45 seconds left you don't throw the ball.

Forever

Banned
Obama played it safe like I expected. Whether you think Romney was "passionate" or "frantic" the fact is he didn't get the knockout he needs.

coldfoot

Banned
Obama should have said more about how Romney's party blocked everything in congress, how they're pro-rich, and anti-women etc. Obama needs to show some teeth, don't explain your policy to us, explain to the ignorants in the language they will understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom