• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no possible gain for Obama personally attacking Romney, there is no possible downfall for Romney attacking Obama directly.

When you're up by 6 with 45 seconds left you don't throw the ball.

You don't keep playing safe all the time, or shit like the Seahawks game will happen.

No 47% remarks being brought up was mind boggling.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Because Romney came off like he had an actual record and well-thought out ideas to a regular Joe, IMO.

No, no he didn't. Obama challenged him directly on his lack of plans and Romney responded with more vagueness. While on that subject:

Obama should have said he has no real plan. He should have directly said things weren't true. He almost got to it at one point but pulled back.

You obviously weren't paying attention. I quoted several instances in the debate OT of Obama attacking Romney on exactly that.

He should have called out Romney for flip-flopping and even the 47% stuff. This was a debate the end of the election was possible and Obama whiffed.

Was there ever an opportunity for that to come up organically?

Yeah, I know, but he was soooo close to it. He didn't need a lot, just some. He totally should have called out Romney's own taxes, too.

"Mitt Romney proposes a $5 trillion tax cut on people like me and him" -- Obama mentioned that during the role of the federal government.

Did y'all fall asleep or something?

pigeon

Banned
any running counters on the amount of lies from fact checkers?

the obama camp should try and make the story about his lies, like they did with ryan's RNC speech, if this is the consensus among fact checkers.

Politifact was pretty straight about everything Romney said being a lie and everything Obama said being mostly true.

HylianTom

Banned
There is no possible gain for Obama personally attacking Romney, there is no possible downfall for Romney attacking Obama directly.

Pretty much. Obama stuck with running the ball. All he needs is a first down.. not a touchdown.

When you're up 3 with 90 seconds left and it's 3rd & 6 and the other team has a time out, you throw.

that is more like what happened.

Let me clarify a bit. Obama needed to make Romney's tax plan look more like the shit it is. He didn't have to attack him in a negative way, but rather address it more directly. No mention of Mass jobs record, either.

Marvie_3

Banned
That wasn't so much a debate as it was Romney dominating with his energy. Despite the fact he continues dancing around specifics for anything, he won easily.

Question is: are everyone's minds already made up?
If only this election were settled by a dance off. Romney would have it in the bag.

gcubed

You don't keep playing safe all the time, or shit like the Seahawks game will happen.

No 47% remarks being brought up was mind boggling.

When your up by 6 with 45 seconds left you DONT THROW THE BALL.

No one likes Romney, there is no downfall to him being an arrogant jack ass, which he most definitely comes off as in the debate with no respect to the moderator.

You don't take good likability numbers and an almost insurmountable lead and act like a jack ass to make forum posters go "Dayum you got him GOOD!"

jbug617

Banned
In the minds of cartoon_soldier, PhoenixDark, and Republicans, sure. In reality, no.

I don't think Obama wins NC and possibly VA after tonight. Florida will tighten up more and would not surprise in a 2 weeks to find out that Ohio might be in play again.

Obama and Clinton need to go to Ohio.

I thought Romney "won" in the sense that the narrative was certainly against him before tonight and he was still able to say basically whatever he wanted regardless of the content. How many times did he say something false, and have Obama meagerly call him out, only to have him say something like "nope my plan doesn't do what you said because I never said what it's going to do".

markatisu

Question did Romney have any memorable moments? In order to win the debate or change the game you have to have a moment

Gore sighing
HW Bush looking at his watch
Reagan looking into the camera with the 4yrs comments
McCain pointing

If Romney "won" someone tell me the moment

He's attacked him plenty. People are just getting too caught up on Obama taking his time to speak and explain his comments.

IN FACT, it's the same bullshit Obama was lambasted for during his primary run in '08 against Hillary and it made zero fucking difference. Voters haven't bought into the rhetoric thus far, and this debate won't change shit.

I recall people saying the same thing against McCain too. That's not really his style, and honestly doesn't have to be. I prefer being talked to like an adult.

One has a plan, the other says he does, but when pressed, there is little in the way that makes sense or is concrete.

Big Bird didn't help.

When your up by 6 with 45 seconds left you DONT THROW THE BALL.

No one likes Romney, there is no downfall to him being an arrogant jack ass, which he most definitely comes off as in the debate with no respect to the moderator.

You don't take good likability numbers and an almost insurmountable lead and act like a jack ass to make forum posters go "Dayum you got him GOOD!"

Your analogy is wrong. He's up 3 with 90 seconds left and it's 3rd and medium and the other team has a timeout left.

You can't run out the clock.

MSNBC is completely right here. Obama barely mentioned Ryan's plan, Ryan keeping medicare cuts, etc.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Question did Romney have any memorable moments? In order to win the debate and change the game you have to have a moment

Gore sighing

Big Bird

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'll laugh when the post-debate polls come out and they have Obama winning this debate while watching everyone flip shit.

thefro

Let's see what the snap polls say.

I don't think people are that stupid to just think Romney won just because he was saying BS. Obama called him out on enough on it (I know the liberals want him to destroy Romney but that's not his style).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'll laugh when the post-debate polls come out and they have Obama winning this debate while watching everyone flip shit.

It's so hard to tell what goes on in the public's head, it could very well end up that way. It would not be the first time.

Bill Maher and msnbc are pissed. Romney clearly won. That's not just my opinion - most of the reaction has been that Obama was off his game. I haven't seen him that bad since the 2007 primary debates

Tamanon

Banned

It'd be 2008 election redux. GAF and everyone else in the media killed Obama in the debates and he kept winning with the public.

gcubed

Your analogy is wrong. He's up 3 with 90 seconds left and it's 3rd and medium and the other team has a timeout left.

You can't run out the clock.

MSNBC is completely right here. Obama barely mentioned Ryan's plan, Ryan keeping medicare cuts, etc.

Its not that close.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bill Maher and msnbc are pissed. Romney clearly won. That's not just my opinion - most of the reaction has been that Obama was off his game. I haven't seen him that bad since the 2007 primary debates

I think you are overstating Bill Maher, but MSNBC is about to explode

Guys, it's not that Obama didn't attack Romney personally. It's that he didn't bring up what needed to be mentioned.

Ryan's take on Medicare's $716billion wasn't mentioned.

Romney's jobs record when Romney kept talking about his record there

Asking Romney directly to explain his plan for repealing Obamacare and keeping the so-called pre-existed conditions part.

Asking Romney how the deductions will add up with tax cuts, asking for a specific deduction reduction.

I could go on. He didn't make the substantive points about why Romney sucks very well. Obama tried to simply defend his own stuff without explaining why the other choice is a really bad choice or how they're being hypocritical and no making sense.

jbug617

Banned
I think Obama will end up winning but I just don't want Romney to get back in the race. This is a glimmer of hope for Romney it might be false hope but you just don't want to give him the opportunity.

gcubed

If Bill Maher and MSNBC are pissed that's ... not a bad thing.

Allard

Question did Romney have any memorable moments? In order to win the debate or change the game you have to have a moment

Gore sighing
McCain pointing

Yep didn't see it, Romney might have 'won' from a shallow argument of coherence and presentation, but the only positive thing that came out of this for Romney is its the first time he is looking 'competent' but if that is all that we can take away from it then that just admits he wasn't even a candidate before coming into the debates. Its not going to be a game changer, it was a horrible debate all around. The only 'optics' thing that people are going to remember from this debate Lehrer getting ran over and taking it.

Brinbe

Why is Sharpton the only one making sense... when the fact check comes in, Romney will come out like Ryan did post-convention speech, a liar.

Suikoguy

Social media will make that the talking point as the night goes on. The pundits are focused on who had more testosterone.

It would be hilarious;

The media may give it some coverage too since they cover of stuff people are talking about online in an effort to try to appear relevant.

HylianTom

Banned
One bright side: Democrats aren't going to be too boasty/confident/complacent going into Election Day after this. I kinda like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom