• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

norinrad

For all of you who are crying over last night, let me ask you something and be honest and sincere.

Will you buy a used car from Mitt Romney?

I certainly would not, he's slick and a liar and has no sincere intentions at all

Cloudy

Banned
I'll wait for next week's post-debate polls to see how this impacts states, but I think things will tighten. Voters are fickle, and last night they saw one guy who looked like he wanted to be there and one guy who looked like he couldn't care less. Stuff like that matters.

Honestly I don't think Obama was as bad as folks are saying. Problem is the media reporting is making it sound like he was abysmal and that's what most people will see.

That said, I thought Obama did well on medicare/medicaid. That's very important in places like NM and FL

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm thinking this "look presidential" thing was Obama's idea. No way Plouffe or Axelrod would've gone for it. When Romney delivered his remark that Obama wasted 2 years of his job going after Obamacare while jobs were being lost and economy being bad, I expected Obama to reply with "You know Mitt, being President means you have to be able to do many things at the same time. I could not focus on simply the economy while 40,000 people were dying every year due to preventable diseases, many poor and elderly. You cannot be the President of only a segment of people. You are the President of the entire country." Boom. Segway into 47%.

LOL. I imagine Romney with his bike helmet on running into poor people with a Segway.

Segue, Rusty, the word is segue.

Tamanon

Banned
For all of you who are crying over last night, let me ask you something and be honest and sincere.

I certainly would not, he's slick and a liar and has no sincere intentions at all

I would only buy one from him if I didn't have to tell him how I was paying for it.

I'll wait for next week's post-debate polls to see how this impacts states, but I think things will tighten. Voters are fickle, and last night they saw one guy who looked like he wanted to be there and one guy who looked like he couldn't care less. Stuff like that matters.

So what you're saying is... OPTICS.

Why would I buy a car from someone who makes me cry? Huh?

More people are going to watch the debates, than the fact checks afterwards.

Especially when you consider the people who are swayed by debates aren't political junkies who pay attention to fact check sites.

Normally, I don't think debates matter, but that was a piss poor job by Obama, such a poor job that the debate might actually matter. He should be feeling like shit today.

codhand

Nb10U.png

Joke maybe?

Owzers

Obama is speaking in Denver, where the fuck was this guy last night?

SERIOUSLY. It's like Obama was just stockpiling romney's quotes on stage for his campaign trail forgetting that 50 million people were waiting for him to make those points ON STAGE NOW. Obama is going off on Romney now, saying the man on stage couldn't run on what he was saying the last year because people didn't like what he was selling.

pigeon

Banned
I honestly think he was thrown off his games by Romney's lies and the weak "moderation"

Yeah, as amazing as it sounds, I think there's a real possibility Obama wasn't prepared for Romney to disavow everything he'd said til this point. You can see in the "never mind" sound bite that he seems genuinely bemused by the position he's in.

Would you buy a new Volt from Obama? Be honest.

I feel like a new man today fellas. I woke up with a huge boner the likes of which I haven't seen since my Reagan youth corps days.

I honestly think he was thrown off his games by Romney's lies and the weak "moderation"

Obama can't use that as an excuse. Both sides over-ran their time and Obama spoke more than Romney. He just didn't use the time as effectively. Romney machine-gunned talking points whereas Obama started going into longer explanations thus giving the appearance of Romney saying more.

IMO if I was Obama's camp I'd secretly ask Bill Clinton to help with debate prep. I'd have Obama waiting at the podium for Kerry, then out comes Bill. And i'd advise Bill to not only play Romney in terms of towing a conservative line, but also heavily bring up the Clinton record; it wouldn't take long for Clinton to exercise some demons, and for Obama to get agitated and upset.

Not only could this help further repair their relationship, it would force Obama to recognize the weaknesses he has as a debater. I think Obama would have to rise to the occasion, keep his cool, and it would completely over prepare him for Romney.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I only think preparation was a part of the problem. The gameplan seemed to be to play prevent defense; that doesn't work in football or anything else. Obama let Romney lie about social security, Medicare, ACA, the progressive tax system, etc etc. He wasn't debating, he was reading his own talking points while ignoring Romney; it was like he was some partisan surrogate on a network show, "facing off" against another partisan surrogate.

No doubt Romney will get points out of this. It's what I expected coming in. In a best case scenario for Romney, he may have pushed Florida back into a virtual tie and may have kept North Carolina from going blue with this debate performance. Maybe. I can't see him moving the needle far enough in the other states that he really needs in order to change the outcome of the election at this point, though. He needs to do much much more than this to have any chance. He pretty much needs to win every debate, decidedly, and build a lot of momentum over the course of the month, and I just don't see it playing out that way.

I expect the VP debate to mostly be a wash with both sides claiming victories (Ryan is going to look good but get caught in a lot of lies, Biden will be the old lion who appeals to blue collar workers but will likely say a couple of silly things), the foreign policy debate to tilt decidedly towards Obama (he has ta decided advantage here, and there is no rhetoric that Romney can run to that will appeal to the nation at large without alienating his base), and the final debate to largely be a wash as well or maybe possibly leaning slightly towards Obama (I expect both of them to pull out the big guns for this, except Romney has already used his biggest weapons in last night's debate whereas Obama decidedly did not).

The net result is that we'll probably see polls tighten for the next week or so, probably stall out somewhat after the VP debate, swing back in Obama's direction after the foreign policy debate, and then probably make some small moves in different directions in different states over the final week or two. If things play out like that, Obama gets reelected fairly handily.

IMO if I was Obama's camp I'd secretly ask Bill Clinton to help with debate prep. I'd have Obama waiting at the podium for Kerry, then out comes Bill. And i'd advise Bill to not only play Romney in terms of towing a conservative line, but also heavily bring up the Clinton record; it wouldn't take long for Clinton to exercise some demons, and for Obama to get agitated and upset.

Not only could this help further repair their relationship, it would force Obama to recognize the weaknesses he has as a debater.

Obama doesn't need Kerry or Clinton. He just needs to wake the fuck up.

KingGondo

Banned
But the Minneapolis based editor for GI? I had no idea.
Guess he's a conservative. They exist in Minny too.

The boogeyman hate that NPR gets is laughable. If the government defunded the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, I'd be in mourning.

(Then I'd write a check for $100 to my local station.)

I think everybody is overreacting. All Obama needed to do was make no unforced errors, which he did fine.

Romney, while looking good, provided plenty of ammunition for things that are going to bury him. He said he supports Medicare vouchers for fuck's sake! Romney walked in with a strategy that would win him the night, but NOT the election.

Tim-E

Good. That debate gave Bams the kick in the ass he needed.

This is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if that Chicago politician that showed himself during the summer while defining Mitt didn't come back out of him.

Debates really don't matter in the end, and Obama is still going to win regardless, but the Romney "comeback" narrative was going to happen regardless. Instead of it coming up a week before election, it's hitting at the very beginning of the debates. He's been down for too long and the media needs their horse race. I don't think it was intentional on Obama's part, but this leaves room for a last Romney "bump" to get out of the way while there's still some time before election day.

Would you buy a new Volt from Obama? Be honest.
The car championed by Republican climate-change denying Bob Lutz, the car designed during the Bush administration, the car that runs mostly on 100% domestic electricity instead of imported oil, the car designed in the USA, the car built in the USA, and the car that comes with a $7500 tax-credit signed into law by George Bush?

Yeah, I would buy that car from Obama but I'm not sure what Obama has to do with other than he saved the company by putting it through a structured bankruptcy. I'm just glad the Obama car czar was not able to kill the Volt program like he wanted to because it was expensive but luckily the GM people insisted on keeping it because they knew it was an important drivetrain technology for the long-term health of the company.

I feel like a new man today fellas. I woke up with a huge boner the likes of which I haven't seen since my Reagan youth corps days.
A spew of misinformation does that for conservatives. They never feel better than when they are having smoke blown up their ass.

Not only could this help further repair their relationship, it would force Obama to recognize the weaknesses he has as a debater. I think Obama would have to rise to the occasion, keep his cool, and it would completely over prepare him for Romney.
I want the rights to this movie. "The Czar's Debate."

Jackson50

I can't prove it, but I suspect you are somehow responsible, at least partially, for Obama's performance last night. I've yet to deduce how. But give me more time.

Maybe during the prep when Obama is waiting at the podium for Kerry, Bill Clinton can come out while forcibly fondling Michelle as she tries to let go of Slick Willy's pimp hands? I think that will get Obama agitated and upset.

But if Bill is with Obama, and Michelle is with Obama, who is going to be there for Hillary, PD? WHO?

So alone.....

Seriously, wedding anniversary night is a vulnerable time for Obama - the dude is pretty serious about his family. I'm sure Michelle was scowling all day long. No decent family man can operate under those conditions.

SmokeMaxX

So Senate race will very likely (almost definitely) end with Democrat majority and House race will very likely (almost definitely) end with Republican majority right?

The car championed by Republican climate-change denying Bob Lutz, the car designed during the Bush administration, the car that runs mostly on 100% domestic electricity instead of imported oil, the car designed in the USA, the car built in the USA, and the car that comes with a $7500 tax-credit signed into law by George Bush?

Yeah, I would buy that car from Obama but I'm not sure what Obama has to do with other than he saved the company by putting it through a structured bankruptcy. I'm just glad the Obama car czar was not able to kill the Volt program like he wanted to because it was expensive but luckily the GM people insisted on keeping it because they knew it was an important drivetrain technology for the long-term health of the company.

A spew of misinformation does that for conservatives. They never feel better than when they are having smoke blown up their ass.

C'mon. Let me gloat for one day. It's been a long time since the breeze of freedom has blown up my ass.

Cloudy

Banned
o doubt Romney will get points out of this. It's what I expected coming in. In a best case scenario for Romney, he may have pushed Florida back into a virtual tie

Not if voters listened to the medicare segment. NOBODY wants a voucher program

This is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if that Chicago politician that showed himself during the summer while defining Mitt didn't come back out of him.

Debates really don't matter in the end, and Obama is still going to win regardless, but the Romney "comeback" narrative was going to happen regardless. Instead of it coming up a week before election, it's hitting at the very beginning of the debates. He's been down for too long and the media needs their horse race. I don't think it was intentional on Obama's part, but this leaves room for a last Romney "bump" to get out of the way while there's still some time before election day.

This sounds like some nice spin here.

Would it have been better for Obama to win this debate rather than lose in a horrific fashion?

We all know the answer to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom