• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Buncha good speeches piling on. Duckworth, ACA lady talking about her kid, and Strickland all stuck the landing in very different ways.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
YES. I've been using this metaphor for years, and it's FINALLY catching on:

Suppose your house is on fire and the firefighters race to the scene. They set up their hoses and start spraying water on the blaze as quickly as possible. After the fire is put out, the courageous news reporter on the scene asks the chief firefighter, "is the house in better shape than when you got here?"

Yes, that would be a really ridiculous question.... A serious reporter asks the fire chief if he had brought a large enough crew, if they had enough hoses, if the water pressure was sufficient. That might require some minimal knowledge of how to put out fires.

I strongly approve of the metaphor, and think it can be applied even more broadly. After all, reporters asking "really ridiculous questions" isn't helpful, but let's also not forget the role of the folks who started the fire.

In this case, the firefighters raced to the scene, setting up their hoses and spraying water on the blaze as quickly as possible, eventually putting out the fire. At the same time, however, those responsible for the fire complained incessantly about the speed at which the firefighters were working, blocking efforts to send more trucks, and trying to convince the public the crisis could be alleviated if only the firefighters would agree to use more kerosene.

Indeed, now that the fire is out, those who set the fire are still demanding to know why the ashes haven't been cleaned up to their satisfaction.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/09/04/13659878-suppose-your-house-is-on-fire?lite

Hey PD. Guess your little polititweet record doesn't seem as impressive now, does it? :smug

Apparently everybody is butt hurt about Strickland's speech for questioning Romney's patriotism.

Agreed, some of it was over the top, but I love seeing Democrats on the attack this time around.

Till now, this has just not been an Obama convention, this has been a convention to talk about Democratic policies.

Deval Patrick is fucking killing it

Gruco

Banned
This is by far the best convention I've seen since I began following politics. By far.

The integration between goals, achievements, and contrast with Romney is flawless. Everyone is on message. The headliner speeches were amazing.

If this continues for two more days, holy shit.

Clevinger

My conservative mother (who's become disillusioned with Republican economics) watched the DNC all night. She loved Patrick, Castro, and Michelle's speeches. I'm kind of shocked.

Afterward she was like "I just don't like the abortion stuff."

6a00d83451c45669e2017d3bd61687970c-550wi

First night comparisons arn't even fair, the democrats mostly destroyed tonight. Besides Ann Romney, nobody was really able to grab the audience in the room whereas you saw several people do it tonight.

My conservative mother (who's become disillusioned with Republican economics) watched the DNC all night. She loved Patrick, Castro, and Michelle's speeches. I'm kind of shocked.

Afterward she was like "I just don't like the abortion stuff."

I really think that if the abortion issue were to magically disappear somehow, the GOP would collapse because it would lose like 20% of its support.

Obama
Strickland
Castro
Sebellius
Duckworth
Patrick
Reid

were the highlights.

Kennedy tribute was pretty good.
Chafee did okay but could have done better as I expect Crist to do.

O'Malley was too theatrical.
Rybak told dumb jokes like Pawlenty.

Who else was there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom