• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

And yet it takes up 3 hours of airtime on "liberal" MSNBC. Where's my Fair and Balanced equivalent on FOX News?

fandfcrew.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
LMAO what just happened on Intrade? Obama's chances are up to 70% but OH, FL and VA all dropped from 60% to below 40% and those markets got pulled

i wonder if the obama team will start putting out ads (even just web ads) bragging about this number. while the number looks good, many people are still hurting and it may be seen as insulting to them. any ad would have to be very tactically done.

it would definitely change the media narrative away from the debate though. if people on tv are arguing over whether the low unemployment number is accurate or not, it can only be good for obama. that's a conversation the obama camp should love to have, because the focus is on the number and any criticisms of it are too wonky or truther-ish for mainstream americans to connect with.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
i wonder if the obama team will start putting out ads (even just web ads) bragging about this number. while the number looks good, many people are still hurting and it may be seen as insulting to them. any ad would have to be very tactically done.

They'll probably go with the recovery angle- things are getting better, long road ahead, don't let Romney fuck it up. Turns the number into just a milestone of progress.

KingGondo

Banned

it would definitely change the media narrative away from the debate though. if people on tv are arguing over whether the low unemployment number is accurate or not, it can only be good for obama. that's a conversation the obama camp should love to have, because the focus is on the number and any criticisms of it are too wonky or truther-ish for mainstream americans to connect with.
A hopeful tone would be appropriate.

Show Obama talking to average workers

Voiceover: "While we've seen lots of progress over the last 4 years, there's still lots of work to do. Recovering from the worst economic disaster since the Depression isn't a one-term job. This administration will continue to fight for the middle class."

CNN is super sad right now.

Ali Veshli is trying so damn hard to make the unemployment rate seem meaningless as possible and spin this news as oh hum as much as possible. He completely glossed over the fact that workforce increased...

They are focusing now manufacturing now since that is the only bad number...

Measley

Ali Veshli is trying so damn hard to make unemployment rate is meaningless and spin this news. He completely glossed over the fact that workforce increased...

Liberal media bias my ass.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The significance of these numbers is that potentially this race no longer needs to be a choice election. Are you better off today than you were four years ago? The economy's larger than before the recession, the unemployment rate is lower, the DOW has doubled, and there's slightly more job jobs than when Obama took office.

Obama's campaign can now make this a referendum election and win.

It's a choice between slow momentum and doubt. I know what Wall Street usually prefers. Voters are less predictable.

SmokeMaxX

LMAO what just happened on Intrade? Obama's chances are up to 70% but OH, FL and VA all dropped from 60% to below 40% and those markets got pulled

I still see those markets being offered. Damn wish that guy would've been able to get the money in my account by now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
VoiceOver: "Why don't you have a job yet, moron? Have you seen the numbers? Unemployment rate is down to 7.8%. Millions of jobs created. Mitt Romney is in tears. And you still don't have a job. Fuck you."

Approved by Obama for America

Tim-E

Ali Veshli is trying so damn hard to make unemployment rate is meaningless and spin this news. He completely glossed over the fact that workforce increased...

The media just jumped on their opening to get the horse race running again, they aren't going to let those poors getting jobs ruin this!

KingGondo

Banned
VoiceOver: "Why don't you have a job yet, moron? Have you seen the numbers? Unemployment rate is down to 7.8%. Millions of jobs created. Mitt Romney is in tears. And you still don't have a job. Fuck you."

Approved by Obama for America
I also approve of this message.

But to Velshi's point, the dude said that the UE rate in and of itself did not matter even when the rate inched to 8.3%, or even 9%. He kept it consistent by saying the UE right now also does not matter. He's right in the sense that the UE rate does not give you the numbers behind the story. But it is a psychological boost for Obama as well as the country as a whole.

Velshi is a smart guy, I won't write him off.

Cloudy

Banned
But to Velshi's point, the dude said that the UE rate in and of itself did not matter even when the rate inched to 8.3%, or even 9%. He kept it consistent by saying the UE right now also does not matter. He's right in the sense that the UE rate does not give you the numbers behind the story. But it is a psychological boost for Obama as well as the country as a whole.

Yeah he does not come off as a partisan guy to me....or even a GOPer to be honest

new We Ask America polls showed Romney taking leads in all three states. They're a volatile Republican-leaning pollster though.

True, he has always been consist on his stance on unemployement rate.

But this is the first I remember him saying his it's a purely political number.

His behavior in reporting these results from the past results is extremely different.

One thing that that struck me is he sad "the unemploemet rate measures different things month, you can't use it to see how the economy is doing from month to month."

Seriously?

Forever

Banned
They are allowed to bring note cards to write notes during the debate. You need proof of having something written on them before the debate started.

Unless they supply the note cards at the lecterns.

The candidates are supplied blank paper to write on which are already at the lecterns.

tranciful

They are allowed to use note cards to write notes during the debate. You need proof of having something written on them before the debate started.

Unless they supply the note cards at the lecterns and are not allowed to use their own.

Their note paper and pen is already at the podium

RDreamer

They are allowed to use note cards to write notes during the debate. You need proof of having something written on them before the debate started.

Unless they supply the note cards at the lecterns and are not allowed to use their own.

They do supply a pad of paper, actually.

That could be his hankerchief, though. Most people don't put those in their pants pocket of a suit, but it could be.

In pictures I didn't think much of this but he clearly does pull paper out of his pocket in that video.

It's so obvious I have to ask if it's actually against the rules? It doesn't seem like he tries to hide it that much, Obama must clearly have been able to see it too.

As someone else mentioned, though, I don't even know why it would be against the rules--I don't see anything wrong with bringing notes to a debate.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If Obama wanted to cook the unemployment rate, why wait 36 months to get it under 7.9%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom