• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very partisan speech by Fluke. I have a feeling this could ruin some of the goodwill she generated

What goodwill, where with which conservatives?

Bill O'Reily who said maybe Democrats will drop condoms because "we all know what Sandra Fluke is all about". Or the conservatives that agreed with Rush but just thought he used a poor choice of words?

Kosmo

Banned
I guess the 60 person small business I work at didn't get that memo.

They haven't been hit with the realities yet - when they can actually dump you off the insurance rolls, cap their healthcare expenditures at $2500 per employee, let you go into the exchange with a subsidy, they will.

It all depends on the type of company - small, highly profitable employers with highly skilled employees will probably continue to provide coverage. Companies that employ general laborers (e.g. smaller auto parts suppliers, etc.) - sorry, you're getting dumped. It might not be a big number at first, but once a couple companies jump, others will follow.

DynamicG

They haven't been hit with the realities yet - when they can actually dump you off the insurance rolls, cap their healthcare expenditures at $2500 per employee, let you go into the exchange with a subsidy, they will.

It all depends on the type of company - small, highly profitable employers with highly skilled employees will probably continue to provide coverage. Companies that employ general laborers (e.g. smaller auto parts suppliers, etc.) - sorry, you're getting dumped. It might not be a big number at first, but once a couple companies jump, others will follow.

Is there some way we can get your predictions carved into stone tablets? I think they'd hold more weight that way. Actually, putting them in stone might be the only way.

Chumly

Nobody is going to drop full coverage for a $2500 fine that makes them extremely uncompetitive.

Kosmo

Banned
Nobody is going to drop full coverage for a $2500 fine that makes them extremely uncompetitive.

Like I said - in competitive industries with highly paid/skilled workers who have mobility, they will not dump coverage. If you're a high school graduate working at a plant cutting wire, sorry, where are you going to go?

Chumly

Like I said - in competitive industries with highly paid/skilled workers who have mobility, they will not dump coverage. If you're a high school graduate working at a plant cutting wire, sorry, where are you going to go?

If they already offer full coverage they are not going to drop it. The business might as well commit suicide. They only plans that might get dropped are the crap plans that don't actually pay for anything.

Cloudy

Banned
Warren is not a politician at all. Her delivery sucks. I believe she'd be a great senator but good luck getting there...

It's an average speech just like Castro's. You guys have just been so annoyed by the "Warren 2016!!" gang that you now hate anything the lady does.

Kosmo

Banned
If they already offer full coverage they are not going to drop it. The business might as well commit suicide. They only plans that might get dropped are the crap plans that don't actually pay for anything.

Patently false. A quick example: Say I employ 100 laborers at $20 a hour - about $41K a year. Those employees also cost me around $12K a year for a health plan, the cost of which will only go up. So instead of paying that $12K, I tell my workers this:

"We are electing to have our employees pick a health plan through the exchanges. In addition, we will be upping your pay by $2 an hour, or also giving you $1K a year, (or whatever)."

I'm not going to get into an argument on if PPACA is sustainable - another argument for another day. This just shows you why is makes sense for employers to drop paying for coverage. In this example I have just saved the owner of this company about $1M a year.

Here is an example from Kaiser:

hevud.png

EDIT: Warren talks like a robot.

Chumly

Patently false. A quick example: Say I employ 100 laborers at $20 a hour - about $41K a year. Those employees also cost me around $12K a year for a health plan, the cost of which will only go up. So instead of paying that $12K, I tell my workers this:

"We are electing to have our employees pick a health plan through the exchanges. In addition, we will be upping your pay by $2 an hour, or also giving you $1K a year, (or whatever)."

I'm not going to get into an argument on if PPACA is sustainable - another argument for another day. This just shows you why is makes sense for employers to drop paying for coverage. In this example I have just saved the owner of this company about $1M a year.

Here is an example from Kaiser:

EDIT: Warren talks like a robot.

Ignoring the fact that not everyone would fall into this category. How would this make it toxic? That people had health coverage? Would they be upset over this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom