• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

I am sure Romney's video would have helped him more than having Clint Eastwood mention two words about him, as well. Super bungled by RNC and Romney campaign.

I honestly thought that video was GOOD. It would have been so much more effective had it ran at 10 instead of Eastwood stealing the press of the evening the following day.

Kosmo

Banned
OK, let's move to November 7th, Obama gets re-elected. What do those voting for him expect from his next term, both in the near and long term? What would he need to do for you to consider it a success? What would be a failure?

GhaleonEB

OK, let's move to November 7th, Obama gets re-elected. What do those voting for him expect from his next term, both in the near and long term? What would he need to do for you to consider it a success? What would be a failure?

A lot of this depends on the status of the House and Senate. My hopes/expectations are dramatically different if the GOP holds one.

If Dems take it, I have a list of things I want them to build upon.

If the GOP holds one, then it's all about not letting them demolish the economy, and holding the line on the first term accomplishments, including the full implementation of ACA.

I'm really surprised at how large an impact that is; the new rule has been in place just a year and a half.

Cheebo

Banned
What would he need to do for you to consider it a success? What would be a failure?

If Obamacare remains intact and isn't repealed that alone is worth the next 4 years and my vote. And I would say that applies to most if not all of his base.

Stuff like another supreme court nominee, more federal court appointments, continued improvement to the economy, etc would just be bonus.

The mere fact the Obama relection means Obamacare goes 100% into effect and will become part of the system ala Medicare, Medicaid, etc that will never go away is worth it.

This is why a Republican victory in 2016 is far less scary of a outcome than in 2012. Two terms of Obama makes it near impossible for a future GOP president to undo what Obama and the democrat congress did in 2009 & 2010.

kehs

Banned

The republicans pretty much have to eat their shoes and stop clamoring about "what the people really want". If he still can't work around those republicans then he has failed.

pigeon

Banned

Priority 1: Allow Obamacare to become law.
Priority 2: Avoid the fiscal cliff.
Priority 3: Don't do anything completely stupid.
Priority 4: Jobs act, tax code reform, climate change.
Priority 5: Peace in the Middle East, space elevator, cold fusion, legalizing marijuana.

If he can get at least through priority 1 I'll be pretty happy -- and I think he will be considered a successful president by history. But since theoretically that only requires doing nothing (priority 3), hopefully he can get some other stuff done as well.

If Obamacare remains intact and isn't repealed that alone is worth the next 4 years and my vote. And I would say that applies to most if not all of his base.

Stuff like another supreme court nominee, more federal court appointments, continued improvement to the economy, etc would just be bonus.

The mere fact the Obama relection means Obamacare goes 100% into effect and will become part of the system ala Medicare, Medicaid, etc that will never go away is worth it.

This is why a Republican victory in 2016 is far less scary of a outcome than in 2012. Two terms of Obama makes it near impossible for a future GOP president to undo what Obama and the democrat congress did in 2009 & 2010.

Pretty much my answers here

RDreamer

Reasonable things he could and possibly will do for a success:

Keep healthcare reform in tact
Economy recovers
Appoint supreme court judges that would balance the court out far more than it is now
Higher taxation on the rich
Add more government jobs (in order to boost the economy)
Work on infrastructure

More ambitious extra things that I wish he would do:

Education reform
Along with education reform, possibly something like that student loan forgiveness act that was being talked about a little while ago.
Much more aggressive tax reform than just what he's campaigning on (upping capital gains tax for instance) to fix the growing inequality we have
Passing the dream act
More Wall-Street regulation
Perhaps add to healthcare reform in the form of a public option (not holding my breath here)

And failure:

If the economy goes into a double dip recession for reasons other than something like Europe collapsing (I don't consider it a failure of his, for instance, if it was pretty far out of his control)
If he doesn't really push the republicans hard on their obstructionism and get the American people on his side pushing them to cave and actually do something

Really, just being elected is a big success for me. That accomplishes two huge things. ACA continues to exist, and the Republican strategy of obstructionism and saying "no" to Obama no matter the consequences to the rest of us fails. Those are my biggest points at this time.

gcubed

i'd love full tax reform, but thats a pipe dream... I'd take some deficit reduction, possibly revisit what fell through with Boehner. Education reform, i dont think it needs more money, it needs a better plan. Infrastructure work, take military savings and fix our infrastructure

failure? if Military spending in 2016 is higher then today (and we aren't in a new war), if no real (legitimate) immigration reform is passed

2013-2017 agenda:

• Immigration reform - it is the right thing to do, but one way or another, it fucks the Republicans so it's a win on all fronts.
  • Tax code reform - with sequestration coming up in Jan. I expect tax code reform along the lines of some of the proposals from Simpson-Bowles to come to the forefront again.
  • Wind down of Afghanistan - with Bin Laden out of the picture, I consider it "mission accomplished" and let's get the fuck out while leaving a small advisory/training force behind.
  • Working towards consensus in Syria - something has to give with Russia on the Syrian dispute and it's only a matter of time, IMO.
  • More of a focus on infrastructure and energy - these two got kind of lost in the first go-round. I expect more of a focus on these in the second term and would like to see a greater investment of political capital and federal dollars on this front.
  • 1-2 more SCOTUS justices

Tim-E

Not to mention he'll likely have 3 if not four supreme court justices on the bench all younger than the conservative justices.

In addition to this stuff I want to see the American Jobs Act get passed, particularly the investments in infrastructure and education (we can do without the tax cut portion). Both areas are in shambles and investing in those is the most effective way government can create jobs; trickle down economics simply doesn't work and besides the government literally creating public sector jobs, they can't really do much else to seriously impact unemployment.

I'd also like to see all of the Bush tax cuts expire, but letting them expire for $250k+ earners will be a step in the right direction.

markatisu

Keep healthcare in tact and work on immigration reform of some kind

Also I want him to make more of a stand against his opposition, since he won't be running for reelection

Priority 2: Avoid the fiscal cliff.
Sooo much easier said than done. It's going to be gruesome after November if Obama wins. High probability of letting all the tax cuts expire.

And the fiscial cliff isn't the only thing – the debt ceiling comes up early 2013. I wonder how that's going to get solved, though I do think there's a high probability Obama will raise it himself.

Anyway, this headline made me laugh: "President Obama is really sorry about insulting whatshisface."

HylianTom

Banned
Supreme Court appointees are at the top of my list, realistically speaking. If he were to flip even one seat from right to left, that'd be gigantic in terms of progress.

Idealistically speaking? An overhaul of our energy/environmental policies. If this fundamental issue set isn't adequately addressed, most other issues won't matter.

Depends on the makeup of the house and senate, to be honest. I think dems can hold the senate while lowering the margin in the house. If that happens, we likely won't get anything big.

-Jobs Act. Depending on how much spending is cut, I could see this passing next year. I'd love to see a business equipment tax cut added to it.

-Tax reform. Could be tricky, but I want to see the Bush tax cuts expire; after that, dems can quickly propose a bill that cuts middle income taxes to the Bush levels. The problem is that I'm not sure republicans would play ball: they could simply reject all offers, blame Obama for raising taxes, and carry that argument into 2014 elections.

-Implementation of Obamacare.

-SC justices

That's really about it. You can kiss immigration reform goodbye as long as republicans hold the house, same with energy reform. Even if Obama gave them the Keystone pipeline, I don't see republicans agreeing to a big energy bill.

IMO the goal would be re-gaining the house in 2014, which would be doable if the economy continues to recover.

Immigration reform at least being tackled (only possible in a Democratic House/Senate scenario)
Another spending bill
Bush tax cuts expired, at least for people making under 200k, and a broader tax code reform
A solution to Gitmo
A serious look at Israel-Palestine peace negotiations
Filibuster reform

Failure would constitute Al Qaida becoming stronger, economy getting worse and no legislations being passed due to impasse.

Tim-E

IMO the goal would be re-gaining the house in 2014, which would be doable if the economy continues to recover.

Yep. I think dems will be able to hold the Senate this year, but I'm not so confident about gaining the house back. If things continue to turn around then 2014 should be the year that democrats aim for getting control back.

I'm not sure this is true. A republican victory in 2016 could easily end the subsidies in Obamacare, thus killing the bill. I expect the bill to slowly go into effect, and for there to be some hiccups - perhaps enough for republicans to get away with this.

Averon

In Obama's second term...

01.) Make sure ACA is implemented in its entirety.
02.) Replace Ginsberg on the Supreme Court, if possible.
03.) Repeal Bush's tax cuts.
04.) Immigration reform
05.) Tackle the rising costs of college tuition.

XenodudeX

Nice video. Paul Ryan is pretty good at spouting bullshit. He is dangerous because he lies with such authority and doesn't get flustered like Mitt

PS: Norah is such a MILF
I think the reason why they're being so hush hush about the details is because they plan on unveiling it during the debates. I'm thinking it will sound so reasonable/centrist, Obama and Biden won't have a proper counter argument for it. That will give Romney/Ryan a game changer from the debates.

/tinfoil hat

Everything that needs to be said has already been said, but I'll add a few more

1. Obama essentially needs to say fuck you to Republicans if Dems retake the house. If not, still fuck 'em, but more tactfully
  2. IF POSSIBLE, getting rid of the fillibuster the moment an oppurtunity presents itslef
  3. Infrastructure spending. At least a 1.3 trillion of it over the next decade.
  4. If possible, bring the Public Option back full force.
  5. Appoint Liberal Judges with decency and common sense
  6. Overturn Citizen's United. Maybe not a constitutional amendment as that's virtually impossible, but do SOMETHING to get rid of that POS law

And that's pretty much all I got.

Tim-E

My real dream for a second administration is for Obama to begin the 1,000 years of liberal darkness that this planet needs.

pigeon

Banned
I think the reason why they're being so hush hush about the details is because they plan on unveiling it during the debates. I'm thinking it will sound so reasonable/centrist, Obama and Biden won't have a proper counter argument for it. That will give Romney/Ryan a game changer from the debates.

I just can't come up with such a position that would be supported by Romney's base. And, again, the big problem he faces is that he already committed to signing Ryan's budget if it got passed -- and it's already BEEN passed in the House. You can't walk away from that if you make him your running mate.

Tim-E

Actually I would love to see a public option eventually, but I don't really want Obama to spend any political capital he gains from winning on healthcare, as the ACA was hard enough to get through without the public option. It will happen, but I'd like to see some other stuff tackled first and let a future democrat administration handle it.

Mike M

Nick N
I expect the GOP to lose seats in the house and gain them in the senate, but I don't think control is going to flip in either chamber. In which case I don't expect much more than Obama to tread water and maintain what gains his administration has made, and possibly that the senate will reform the filibuster (Though there won't be much point if the GOP still had the house).

Forever

Banned
Actually I would love to see a public option eventually, but I don't really want Obama to spend any political capital he gains from winning on healthcare, as the ACA was hard enough to get through without the public option. It will happen, but I'd like to see some other stuff tackled first and let a future democrat administration handle it.

I fully expect Hillary to return to the issue if she runs in 2016. You know how she is about healthcare. She's going to want to leave her own mark.

pigeon

Banned

It's also not worth pushing on this until Obamacare has been fully in effect for a while and everybody's used to actually having healthcare.

DasRaven

Great Success?
1. $1T public-private infrastructure bank.
Why? Jobs now. Growth later.

2. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg --> Justice Leah Ward Sears
Why? Because women are 51% of the population and the court should reflect that.
Also, paves the way for Goodwin Liu to replace any Justice should the opportunity arise before 2016.

3. A sequester-avoiding grand bargain including an increase in Medicare eligibility age and restructuring of the tax code as such:
10% on taxable income from $0 to $10K, plus
15% on taxable income over $10K to $50K, plus
25% on taxable income over $50K to $100K, plus
30% on taxable income over $100K to $250K, plus
35% on taxable income over $250K to $1M, plus
40% on taxable income over $1M.
Why? Because people like and understand round numbers, middle class tax cuts, and the millionaires tax.

Failure?
And avoidance of sequester that does not include tax reform AND Medicare lifespan expansion.

In what some (one guy on Twitter) have called "a stroke of comic genius," Public Policy Polling decided to ask Ohio Republicans who they thought "deserved more credit for the killing of Osama bin Laden: Barack Obama or Mitt Romney. In what some (my colleague Tim Murphy) have called "the greatest thing ever," a full 15 percent of Ohio Republicans surveyed said Romney deserved more credit than the president. Another 47 percent said they were "unsure."

I'm utterly baffled. Holy shit.

Clevinger

So now Romney is saying he's not going to be giving big tax cuts to wealthy people? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

“And I want to make sure people understand, despite what the Democrats said at their convention, I am not reducing taxes on high income taxpayers.”

Again, dude should scrub his website.

"Make permanent, across-the-board 20 percent cut in marginal rates"

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody watch in the NFL in here? How are the campaign ads?

Here in Central FL, the Romney campaign is airing about a 3:1 ratio to the Obama campaign. I swear, there were a few commerical breaks that were all political ads. The Repubs are pumping a lot of $$ here.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
On NBC's "Meet the Press," Mr. Romney pledged to cut taxes across the board and recoup some of the lost revenue by cutting breaks for wealthier Americans. "Our problem in our country is not that we're not paying enough taxes," Mr. Romney said. "It's that we're spending too much money and the economy is not growing as it could and should."

Wait, what?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom