• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
This is good news.

Without the crosstabs it's hard to know exactly what happened in Wisconsin. It's probably a safe bet to assume that some of the undecideds in the pre-bate 52-45 poll were latent Romney supporters, temporarily "undecided" because of Romney's bad press at the time -- and it's quite possible that some of the undecideds in the 49-47 poll were latent Obama supporters for the same reason. This might help explain why the biggest effect was seen not after the debate but after people had had a day to talk to coworkers about the debate. But if that's so, then Obama's very safe at 49, and will probably recover over 50 again with or without the jobs report. Don't forget, it's just as reasonable to assume that the debate had a very brief bounce and the jobs report did nothing as to assume that the debate had a big move and the jobs report had the same move the other way -- and it would probably fit more with the current dataset.

Yup. I'm quite comfortable with this. And if Wisconsin is still with Obama at 49%, leading at perhaps Obama's weakest point in the race, then I feel pretty good about other swing states.

Diablos

That said, I'm under the assumption that these polls are taking into account at least 48 hours where Romney was looking like Republican Mondale-lite (*sigh* come back).

So is it safe to assume that some of Romney's momentum might not be fully captured in these polls because it's front-loaded with a couple days worth of things as they were before Obama looked down at his podium for an hour and a half?

SmokeMaxX

So frustrated with Intrade. I didn't get my money in until after the jobs number went out and Obama went over like $7 a share. Bought at $6.58 earlier thinking it couldn't get lower and now it's $6.47 a share. Worst part is it's likely to drop even lower until at least the VP debate unless we get some good poll numbers. Oh well, I get more money into my account on Monday.

It's really interesting to see the effect of news on the Intrade numbers. The unemployment numbers made a HUGE shift, but it was really shortlived.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
That said, I'm under the assumption that these polls are taking into account at least 48 hours where Romney was looking like Republican Mondale-lite (*sigh* come back).

So is it safe to assume that some of Romney's momentum might not be fully captured in these polls because it's front-loaded with a couple days worth of things as they were before Obama looked down at his podium for an hour and a half?

Just stop.

Diablos

I'm serious!

So frustrated with Intrade. I didn't get my money in until after the jobs number went out and Obama went over like $7 a share. Bought at $6.58 earlier thinking it couldn't get lower and now it's $6.47 a share. Worst part is it's likely to drop even lower until at least the VP debate unless we get some good poll numbers. Oh well, I get more money into my account on Monday.

It's really interesting to see the effect of news on the Intrade numbers. The unemployment numbers made a HUGE shift, but it was really shortlived.
Ruh-roh.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
So, one can make real money on intrade? It seems somewhat obvious to choose winners, right?

If I bought shares of Obama winning at 6.47 per share, and bought 10 shares, how do I win? Only by having Obama win, or do I wait til they are at like 8.5 or something then sell them to someone else?

I'm certainly not the type to be swayed too much toward a politician based on how personable they are or things like that. I'm much more concerned with their policy and stances on issues. If I were that type, however, this video would most certainly have won me over :')

Barack and Michelle Anniversary

Averon

If you go in knowing everything Dick Morris says is BS and meant to make money, then his Youtube videos are quite entertaining to watch.

So, one can make real money on intrade? It seems somewhat obvious to choose winners, right?

If I bought shares of Obama winning at 6.47 per share, and bought 10 shares, how do I win? Only by having Obama win, or do I wait til they are at like 8.5 or something then sell them to someone else?

I believe either of the two options are possible. However, if Obama wins the market closes at $10, so there's obviously more to gain from holding out until the results rather than selling.

Diablos said:

PPP's polls started right after the debate.

And they already said his bounce dropped off today.

NC is a lost cause.
oh god.

Effect

So perhaps by Wednesday or Thursday of the coming week we should have a better picture of things right since anything coming out now would include the debate and the day after where everyone was on the Romney bandwagon and only beginning to talk about his lying. They shouldn't include the "big bird" backlash, Obama speaking in front of 30,000 people right after the debate, the new ads, or the unemployment drop.

@Diablos Thanks

Diablos

I love how everyone can get their fretting in because they know I'll top it.

I'm like a fucking insurance policy for worrying, hahaha

I love you guys.

SmokeMaxX

I'm serious!
Ruh-roh.
Oh, I'm not worried Obama's gonna lose. He's got this in the bag. Just trying to maximize profit.

If you bought ten shares, you'd get $100. Subtract what you spent to buy those shares for your profit. In your case, it'd be $100 - $64.70 for a profit of $35.30 (minus $5 per month, minus however much it cost you to put your money into your intrade account).

Some events are a little vague on the rules so you have to be careful. I think there's one that deals with "Democratic majority of Senate" but it counts independents that caucus with Democratics still as Independents (or something like that) so that affects odds. In other situations, you have things that can happen like scandals or maybe something crazy like a candidate gets assassinated. The more sure a thing is, the less you're likely to win. For example, you could buy 10 shares of "Obama is going to win Hawaii" and only make like $1-10.

I love how everyone can get their fretting in because they know I'll top it.

I'm like a fucking insurance policy for worrying, hahaha

I love you guys.

so in a way, your posting is diabloscare

If you bought ten shares, you'd get $100. Subtract what you spent to buy those shares for your profit. In your case, it'd be $100 - $64.70 for a profit of $35.30 (minus $5 per month, minus however much it cost you to put your money into your intrade account).

...wait, how much could i conceivably win if i dropped $4500 on this assuming the share price inexplicably didn't shift at all

Weird that the Now Cast is still in the 90s, especially with all the Romney noise in the polling.

I would think they'd be flipped and Romney would be at a higher percentage?

Help me out here, Mamba...

Ras and that other random poll are still the only national polls to show Romney ahead in the popular vote.

Gallup and Ipsos show a 2 or 3 point lead, RAND bigger. That and the older polls of WSJ/Fox/CNN/etc are still the last polls in the database, so Obama's national poll lead is still quite strong, albeit weaker. Plus, the model doesn't believe Ras's polling and adds a couple points back to Obama.

If by Tuesday we see gallup and Ipsos come down to a tie, RAND drop more, and maybe a Fox or WSJ poll released show a tie or Romney lead, then it will flip.

edit: There haven't been enough state polls conducted either to show a flip. Romney's ability to win the election won't really jump unless Ohio becomes very tight.

Also:

The Republican lawmaker made those comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman’s banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell. Broun, a medical doctor, is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats.[

“God’s word is true,” Broun said, according to a video posted on the church’s website. “I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

Oh

He sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Fuck yeah!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...60ed0c-0fdf-11e2-ba6c-07bd866eb71a_story.html

He himself states that the model is currently underestimating Romney's performance.

We will know mid-next week, as more polls get published and all tracking polls move to post debate time frame.

Even then, a 5 point swing in WI for Romney is just ouch. Probably a good decision for Obama to hold a rally their immediately after. Need to see some proper OH numbers next. The citizen's united OH poll is garbage.

Gravis CO poll has only 8.9% Hispanics, they are supposed to be 14% of electorate, in 2008 they were at 11%.

SmokeMaxX

so in a way, your posting is diabloscare

...wait, how much could i conceivably win if i dropped $4500 on this assuming the share price inexplicably didn't shift at all

Intrade shares are currently at $6.47 a share. Assuming you bought for Obama as many shares as you could and you had $4500 in your account, you could buy up to 695 shares and come out with $6950 (plus whatever change you had left in your account) for a profit of $2450 (if Obama wins). That's not subtracting how much it'll cost to put money into your account (depends how you do it; a check is free but takes the longest; a wire transfer from your bank is however much your bank costs; a member to member trade via paypal is a certain percentage of what you put in) and how much you have to pay per month ($5).

Diablos

Ras and that other random poll are still the only national polls to show Romney ahead in the popular vote.

Gallup and Ipsos show a 2 or 3 point lead, RAND bigger. That and the older polls of WSJ/Fox/CNN/etc are still the last polls in the database, so Obama's national poll lead is still quite strong, albeit weaker. Plus, the model doesn't believe Ras's polling and adds a couple points back to Obama.

If by Tuesday we see gallup and Ipsos come down to a tie, RAND drop more, and maybe a Fox or WSJ poll released show a tie or Romney lead, then it will flip.

edit: There haven't been enough state polls conducted either to show a flip. Romney's ability to win the election won't really jump unless Ohio becomes very tight.

Also:

Oh

Fuck yeah!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...60ed0c-0fdf-11e2-ba6c-07bd866eb71a_story.html
De facto "Two Americas" stuff right here, yeah.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just something I've noticed.

NONE of these self made map links for me have worked. I've clicked on at least 10 of those by poligaffers, and I always end up with a map-less page.

Do you have Adblock turned on for the site? Turning it off did the trick for me.

Let's assume Romney gets a nice bounce...what do you think high of the Silver model could get to?

60-40?

50-50?

51-49 R?

He himself states that the model is currently underestimating Romney's performance.

We will know mid-next week, as more polls get published and all tracking polls move to post debate time frame.

Even then, a 5 point swing in WI for Romney is just ouch. Probably a good decision for Obama to hold a rally their immediately after. Need to see some proper OH numbers next. The citizen's united OH poll is garbage.

Silver was wrong about 47%. I like him, but I wouldn't look to him to predict what will move the polls.

I think every rational person would conclude Romney should get some kind of bump from the debate. Only questions are, how big, among whom, and will it last?

But you're right, we'll know more next week.

Diablos

Gravis CO poll has only 8.9% Hispanics, they are supposed to be 14% of electorate, in 2008 they were at 11%.
Yep, yep. All of this could have been avoided so easily.

Let's assume Romney gets a nice bounce...what do you think high of the Silver model could get to?

60-40?

50-50?

51-49 R?

In order to go ahead of 50/50, he'd have to be in the lead in the majority of polls, I'd imagine. Including the swing states.

I would imagine for it to be 60/40 or less (Obama lead) that there would need to be a consensus of Ohio polls showing the race close to tied long with Wisconsin and Iowa and Florida. But Ohio being the key.

Let's say the national polls are on average 49-47 for O and Ohio is +3.5 Obama. I think it would be over 70/30 (but this is pure guess as I obviously don't know what moves the model by what, just guessing based on what I've seen).

I will keep saying this. Romney has to go above 47 in the national and swing polls (in aggregate, not just Ras) before I would be too worried. That 47 number is pretty big. If he can't hit 48, he can't win.

I will keep saying this. Romney has to go above 47 in the national and swing polls (in aggregate, not just Ras) before I would be too worried. That 47 number is pretty big. If he can't hit 48, he can't win.

This bounce could get him there.

Was it 49-46 O before the debates? I forget.

This bounce could get him there.

Was it 49-46 O before the debates? I forget.

For what? nationally? It was like 48-43 or close to that.

I still don't think Romney will cross 47 and doubt the bounce will do it.. A cosmic irony in that figure, too.

So far, the data seems to show that he's picked up some concerned Repubs while some Obama supporters are contemplating staying home. This isn't good news, obviously, but it doesn't appear anyone is switching sides and the indies/moderates aren't budging yet, either.

At least with the current polling. If that holds, it means Romney's feat is sealed. Can't cross 47. As long as Obama doesn't shit the bet again, I'd say if Romney doesn't make a HUGE bounce (in that the swing states and national polls look close to tied) that it will be the best Romney can do but it won't be enough. Kind of like a late game charge in the 4th quarter against the reserves when down 15 only to fall short by 4 or 5.

edit: It should also be noted that the likely voter model will react too easily to sensitivity, ie repubs excited it might actually be a race. Registered Voter models less so and these, so far, seem to indicate not much change for Romney. The truth lies in between, as always.

The gravis poll has Romney leading CO blacks by 58-40, that is 6% of the voters in the poll. lol

I don't understand how a polling agency can release such data. Like, if that is the data you're getting, I think it's time to re-check your shit. Obama cannot get 95% of blacks nationally and end up at 40% in Colorado. It's statistical nonsense and any statistician should be ashamed for not trying to fix this.

http://deadspin.com/5949556/anti+ro...aper-hes-been-a-michigan-fan-a-long-long-time
WsfVz.jpg
From the Ohio State student newspaper. As a Spartan, I can get behind this ad.

Diablos

I don't understand how a polling agency can release such data. Like, if that is the data you're getting, I think it's time to re-check your shit. Obama cannot get 95% of blacks nationally and end up at 40% in Colorado. It's statistical nonsense and any statistician should be ashamed for not trying to fix this.
AND YET the conservative media will probably cite this shit in an effort to discredit all those "mainstream" polls that are fudging the numbers.

Technically speaking, he gained 1 and "undecided" lost 5.
This week!

It's not the base shifting that anyone should worry about, it's undecided voters giving Mitt a second chance after Obama got a free month that ultimately had them more or less in his pocket for the time being.

That in and of itself is just depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom