• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just got my entire unit where I'm stationed at to take initiative and start early voting. We begin on Monday. Vast Majority are voting Obama.

Fuck yeah. :D

Trakdown

You voted four times?? VOTE FRAUD

keep going

Lol, yeah....I expect Drudge to pick up on that any moment now.

Brought the family, though. I really do feel for you guys that have to live with Fox News Conservatives...my extended family's the same way. Thankfully my immediate family's not quite the same.

Tangentially related

WASHINGTON – The Justice Department said Wednesday that it has joined a lawsuit against The Gallup Organization alleging the polling company filed false claims on contracts with the U.S. Mint, the State Department and other government agencies.

A fired Gallup employee who became a whistle-blower, Michael Lindley, alleges in the lawsuit that he discovered shortly after going to work for the polling company that it had engaged in widespread fraud against the government.

Honored as "Rookie of the Year" at Gallup in 2009, Lindley says he was fired six months later when he told colleagues that if the company didn't report overbilling practices to the government, Lindley would do so himself.

His lawsuit, filed nearly three years ago and unsealed Wednesday in federal court, says Gallup routinely submitted inflated cost estimates which enabled the company to reap huge profits from its government business.

In addition to its polling work, Gallup provides consulting services to government, corporate and other clients around the world.

The Justice Department said it was stepping into the case with respect to Gallup's contracts with the Mint and the State Department.

In response, Gallup general counsel Steve O'Brien said, "We believe that the allegations and the legal theory that the Justice Department is using are entirely meritless."

O'Brien said the work involved fixed-price contracts that were all competitively bid and paid for as agreed. Now, said O'Brien, the government is saying "the price should have been something else."

O'Brien is among those named in Lindley's lawsuit. According to Lindley, when he asked O'Brien why he had been fired, O'Brien said "When you start talking about going to the Department of Justice, I don't trust you anymore."

On Wednesday, O'Brien called Lindley's assertion "a total and complete fabrication."

According to Lindley's lawsuit, on a $2 million-a-year sole-source contract with the Mint, Gallup inflated the number of hours required to complete the work, usually by a multiple of two or three times the number justified by historical experience. Gallup was hired to conduct market research for the sale of newly issued coins.

The State Department work involved the U.S. Passport Agency. During negotiations on a $25 million sole-source contract, Gallup allegedly submitted detailed budgets with vastly inflated hours on the time to complete the work for the agency. Gallup was hired to conduct surveys to predict the level of passport applications stemming from changes in border laws governing travel to Mexico and Canada.

Separately, Lindley alleges that Gallup exercised undue influence over the award process on a $15 million contract with the Army's Joint Contracting Command in Iraq.

The lawsuit says Gallup actually wrote the request for proposal that the Army's contracting officer issued. Gallup wrote the proposal so the contract could be awarded only to a company with characteristics that were unique to Gallup, according to Lindley's allegations.

In a $10 million contract with a Health and Human Services Department agency, Gallup allegedly shifted costs from some of its fixed-price government contracts to a cost-plus contract with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

In a $2 million-a-year contract with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a Gallup executive allegedly submitted inflated estimates of the hours required to complete various tasks, inflating the contract price.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...partment-joins-suit-against-gallup/57215932/1

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Or maybe they want to try someone/something different. Or maybe, just maybe, they're intelligent enough to understand that Obama's policies haven't brought this country back on it's feet again. You're asking people to stick with someone whose policies haven't noticeably improved their lives.

The only question I would ask is what the rationale is for someone suffering under this economy that Obama has failed to jump start fast enough, and thinking that the better alternative is going back to the people who caused it?

Coming to the realization that this is really what the election is about is quite depressing.

Diablos

Obama's leading in the majority of swing states and poligaf is in panic mode. Too funny.
The lead is tightening a lot more than anticipated. Going from +5 to +1 in just a week, in the most critical state, is not anything to scoff at. That's why PoliGAF is panicking.

PhoenixDark: I fundamentally disagree that Obama tanking potentially in OH has to do with a lack of messaging. He has gone to the state a zillion times over the course of his first term to drive home what he's been doing to help the common man in that state.

ISOM

This is exactly right. I said as much after the third debate. BO was all about hope and change last time around, with a vision for the future. None of that this time around - BO has been reduced to silly word games. That does not win elections.

wtf are you talking about, what vision has romney articulated other than half truths and lies. Anyone can promise the sun and the moon as a challenger for the presidency, it's alot harder for a president seeking reelection to promise anything without making it sound like he's promising things he might not be able to deliver again.

i don't remember bush promising anything about his 2nd term against kerry, and obama doesn't need to promote a vision. He just needs to continue to hammer the message that the economy is getting better, republicans having been stonewalling to not get him reelected and the other guy romney is worse and would return us to the bush policies that got us into this mess.

HylianTom

Banned
Princeton's update for today:

EV_history.png

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/10/19/welcome-npr-listeners/

Obama's down .08% today.

The lead is tightening a lot more than anticipated. Going from +5 to +1 in just a week, in the most critical state, is not anything to scoff at. That's why PoliGAF is panicking.
Yet after today's "awful" — as you've described it — polling numbers, Obama has a nearly 2/3 chance of winning reelection.

Diablos

Hey Kevitivity, can you explain to me exactly what Mitt is proposing beyond the five bullet points? Try to make us believe there's actually substance behind what he's doing. Romney runs around the country with a 9th Grade GOPer powerpoint presentation yet insists he actually has a "plan". What a fucking facade.

Obama IS, fwiw, running on his record. He couldn't get UE to where he wanted it, but he has taken great steps to keep the economy from collapsing, has presided under lots of private sector jobs being created, saved the auto industry, provided health care for all Americans, kept us safe, and is investing in the future.

And unlike Mitt, there IS SUBSTANCE behind those talking points.

Hey Kevitivity, can you explain to me exactly what Mitt is proposing beyond the five bullet points? Try to make us believe there's actually substance behind what he's doing. Romney runs around the country with a 9th Grade GOPer powerpoint presentation yet insists he actually has a "plan". What a fucking facade.

First of all, what is the 5 point plan? Is it like Camacho's 3 point plan?

HylianTom

Banned
You know, its shit like this and 538 that keep me from losing it.

Yup. We're in good shape. While I daydream about the election coming down to Nevada or Colorado sealing it, there's still a good chance that winning Virginia or Florida early on in the evening shows us how it'll go.

Heck, if we win New Hampshire, the non-OH/VA/FL route looks pretty damn solid at this point, too.

The fundamental idea that Obama has so many options and Romney so little room for error is still alive and well, and we should be keen to frequently remember this.

rtcan.jpg

Diablos

Yup. We're in good shape. While I daydream about the election coming down to Nevada or Colorado sealing it, there's still a good chance that winning Virginia or Florida early on in the evening shows us how it'll go.

Heck, if we win New Hampshire, the non-OH/VA/FL route looks pretty damn solid at this point, too.

The fundamental idea that Obama has so many options and Romney so little room for error is still alive and well, and we should be keen to frequently remember this.
The problem is that when the "firewall" has essentially been downgraded to a shield with a +1 advantage for Obama if not a tie in most cases, that's not a "firewall" with a lot of muscle. It could collapse quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom