• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Man

Banned
My father is worried voting for Obama will hurt his small business, but he doesn't want to vote for Romney... but he also wants his vote to count, he is afraid that 40 percent tax rate that would fall on Small Business with the expiration of the Bush Tax cuts....

I'm really not sure what to tell him here.

RDreamer

Is this woman on Hardball serious? "You don't have an example of government run healthcare where you get more people insured, lowered costs, etc" (I didn't get the exact quote)

It's like conservatives willfully ignore the entire existence of Europe.

Just found out my in-laws are having a "voting dilemma" since defense contracting pays the bills and they don't want to see any cuts.

G'damn, don't think they've been paying close attention.

Team Romney demanded in the debate agreement that Ryan be called "Mr" rather than the traditional "Congressman".

Who are they to make such demands? That seems odd.

Calling someone Congressman is a slur? How about not making Congress so shitty then? Call him Congressman Ryan the whole time.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I mentioned this earlier and it's why MSNBC sucks. They don't understand how to be shills.

That said, Poli-gaf is not a news network. No reason to push a narrative here.

You're right. I don't know why I directed that to the people here.

My apologies, gentlmen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who are they to make such demands? That seems odd.

Calling someone Congressman is a slur? How about not making Congress so shitty then? Call him Congressman Ryan the whole time.

Biden should totally do that, what is Ryan going to do? Leave? That'll look good on national TV.

My understanding is, these kinds of terms are part of the formal debate agreement between the two candidates and the debate committee.

Was that stuff hashed out months ago? Mmmm, I guess Congress was shitty then too.

Here is what Biden should say:

"Well MISTER Ryan . . . why am I not allowed to refer to you as a Congressman for this debate. Is it because your party has driven approval of Congess to record lows, MISTER Ryan?"

Doesn't matter. The debate moderator will introduce him as congressman

Also just calling him Mr doesn't mean Biden can't use his congressional history.

Zero Hero

My father is worried voting for Obama will hurt his small business, but he doesn't want to vote for Romney... but he also wants his vote to count, he is afraid that 40 percent tax rate that would fall on Small Business with the expiration of the Bush Tax cuts....

Yeah, a pity about those 3% of small business owners.

http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...are_not_affected_by_obama_tax_proposals_.html

Taxes are on profits, not total revenue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Or will he go to the press the next day and cry about how unfair it was to be called "Congressman"? Yeah, go ahead and do that.

He should just use it to fuck with him, get him all riled up. Ryan hasn't exactly come across as a person who is used to being challenged lately.

Doesn't matter. The debate moderator will introduce him as congressman

Also just calling him Mr doesn't mean Biden can't use his congressional history.

It's a passive thing, if they call him congressman people will connect him with the current congress almost automatically. If they don't then the connection becomes harder and nowhere near as natural.

Raine

I wonder what Ryan's response would be if Biden asked if he could call him Congressman at the beginning of the debate lol

The Bush tax cuts expiring for people over $250,000/year income won't impact small businesses...

And it's worth reminding everyone that in terms of the Bush tax cuts, the rate for those making $250k/yr does not apply to their entire income number: it applies to income over $250k/yr. So if you make $260k/yr for instance you would pay the top rate on $10,000.

Chances are his small business is an S-Corp, LLC, etc. As long as it's not a C-Corp, chances are his business will be taxed as if he owns it. So unless his income (not gross) is above I believe $250,000 then he is in good shape, and he wouldn't have to worry too much.

he's not so gifted at it when people know he's a liar. i think the substance of what he has to say will be examined. it'll come down to on-stage personality.

Lying is the reason that Romney is in the position he is and why Dems on this board are in the fetal position.

Lying convincingly works.

Unlike Mitt Romney, I actually think Paul Ryan really believes what he says.

Well, that is a tricky thing for Ryan. He may end up saying a some stuff that is not the Romney platform but is instead the Ryan platform. But the fact that he doesn't believe some of the Romney stuff and wants to push his own views that he really believes may trip him up. Something may get through the filter.

Al-ibn Kermit

Ahahaha. I'd like to see what they'd do if Biden just called him Congressman all debate. If I was him I'd do it. Let the Romney campaign bitch about it. I don't think the American people are going to buy that complaint.

I'm certain that Romney was referred to as "governor" several times during the last debate.

AniHawk

Lying is the reason that Romney is in the position he is and why Dems on this board are in the fetal position.

Lying convincingly works.

i think it had a lot more to do with stage presence. obama was looking down, stumbling, and speaking pretty slowly versus romney who wasn't doing any of those things. it was the way he spoke, and less about what he was saying.

see also: mccain vs. obama round 1, and kennedy vs. nixon

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What would have to happen for Ryan to convincingly lose the debate in the eyes of Republicans? Ryan curling up into the fetal position while crying and calling for his blankey?

Why does being a democrat come with so much self loathing? Geeze.

I was just asking a Democratic friend about that today.

i think it had a lot more to do with stage presence. obama was looking down, stumbling, and speaking pretty slowly versus romney who wasn't doing any of those things. it was the way he spoke, and less about what he was saying.

see also: mccain vs. obama round 1, and kennedy vs. nixon

And to that end, who do you think will have better stage presence tonight?

Loudninja

it's really amazing how spectacular their ground game is; it won't win the election if they tank the next three debates and get a bad jobs report on Nov 2, but it will pad it up if it's a mixed bag for the rest of the election cycle.
Wont happen,the jobs report wont do a damn thing.

What would have to happen for Ryan to convincingly lose the debate in the eyes of Republicans? Ryan curling up into the fetal position while crying and calling for his blankey?

There's nothing he can do to lose in the eyes of Republicans. Even if he has to completely fall back on lies, they'll root him on.

HylianTom

Banned
Are folks really panicking again?

Man, I go out for a post-dinner, pre-debate walk, and people are really considering panicking again?!

Obama has to be caught in bed with one of Sasha or Malia's classmates for him to lose. Either that, or blow both remaining debates. I know we're inclined to think we're gonna blow it, given the Dems' talent at this, but don't panic until we have a good enough reason.

Amir0x

Banned
I still don't see it at all.

you honestly think anybody would be able to withstand an entire month of the same terrible news cycles, Democrats being as big of whiny bitches as they are whenever the president underperforms and thus amplifying the problem?

I don't think it's likely they will lose the next three debates, but I do think that's the one thing that would be enough to just barely do it for Romney

Loudninja

you honestly think anybody would be able to withstand an entire month of the same terrible news cycles, Democrats being as big of whiny bitches as they are whenever the president underperforms and thus amplifying the problem?

I don't think it's likely they will lose the next three debates, but I do think that's the one thing that would be enough to just barely do it for Romney
I just talking about job numbers.

Its true democrats always make stuff much worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom