• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Chicago is really lucky to be on the banks of a great lake and hence see lot of industrialization and development. Otherwise Illinois would have been another Indiana. Boring, bilble thumping red state. Some of the republicans I encounter in Chicago are simply the worst. My HR Block tax guy was so anti-government it was hilarious.
At least you know he probably worked hard to get you back as much money as possible.

Piecake

Yeah, a Democratic-run government is always pretty swell. Look at California balancing its budget, or Minnesota finally putting all its money back into the schools Pawlenty robbed to pay for his tax cuts (while raising fees and fines, which don't count as tax increases!).

I especially liked his cutting funding to local governments forcing them to raise property taxes bit. Well, Pawlently didnt do it! The local governments did!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...racting-private-investments-for-public-works/

Ugh. I hate this plan so much already. I mean, I understand the goal here, which is to try to boost the economy without spending any government money, but I'm really annoyed that Obama's moving to the center with his budget after the Senate held pretty firm. The WSJ also has a source that Obama may include chained CPI as a formal part of his budget, which seems just idiotic to me.

I dont think thats the goal. I think the goal is to simply boost our economy and shore up our terrible infrastructure. Doing something stupid like this is pretty much the only way its going to get done, and it needs to get done, especially now when interest rates or so low

So you have the option of doing it right, option of doing it a shitty way, or not at all. Sadly, in this case, I would prefer the shitty way to not at all since doing it right is just not happening

Chicago is really lucky to be on the banks of a great lake and hence see lot of industrialization and development. Otherwise Illinois would have been another Indiana. Boring, bilble thumping red state. Some of the republicans I encounter in Chicago are simply the worst. My HR Block tax guy was so anti-government it was hilarious.

Its funny. People always think of the midwest as bright blue as the Northeast. In reality it couldn't be more different. Its incredibly red everywhere that isn't a city.

Clevinger

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...racting-private-investments-for-public-works/

Ugh. I hate this plan so much already. I mean, I understand the goal here, which is to try to boost the economy without spending any government money, but I'm really annoyed that Obama's moving to the center with his budget after the Senate held pretty firm. The WSJ also has a source that Obama may include chained CPI as a formal part of his budget, which seems just idiotic to me.

He's really determined to cut SS, isn't he. Jesus.

Its funny. People always think of the midwest as bright blue as the Northeast. In reality it couldn't be more different. Its incredibly red everywhere that isn't a city.

Of course you can say that about the NorthEast as well. But it isn't totally true though. The Minnesota DFL is pretty strong even out in rural areas.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's really determined to cut SS, isn't he. Jesus.

Someone is always saying that the chained-cpi is on the table but it's never actually come up in formal negotiations yet. I agree we should make a big stink about it, but pigeon never said where the WSJ source was from. Could be the White House, could be some Congressional aide. If the WSJ has said where said source is from that would be an interesting tidbit to add to the conversation.

Piecake

Is this chained CPI supposed to happen in like 20 years or so? If so, that might give everyone enough time to realize that 401ks have been a complete disaster and a large percentage of the elderly are looking forward to a retirement in poverty

pigeon

Banned
Someone is always saying that the chained-cpi is on the table but it's never actually come up in formal negotiations yet. I agree we should make a big stink about it, but pigeon never said where the WSJ source was from. Could be the White House, could be some Congressional aide. If the WSJ has said where said source is from that would be an interesting tidbit to add to the conversation.

I don't actually have a WSJ account -- I saw it through Frum, and Klein picked it up this morning. The quote is from "sources close to the White House." What that means is pretty up in the air. It's also worth noting that the WSJ had the scoop, not the Post. During the cliff and budget wars, leaks about the White House perspective usually went straight to Ezra Klein.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
There is not a single racial minority among the 20 most senior officials who run the Republican National Committee, National Republican Congressional Committee, and National Republican Senatorial Committee — the three wings of the GOP apparatus charged with promoting candidates and winning elections. […]

One former RNC field staffer, who is Hispanic, described a culture of cynicism among his predominantly white colleagues when it came to minority outreach. He said that in his office, whenever they were notified of a new Republican outreach effort, they would pass around a Beanie Baby — which they had dubbed the "pander bear" — and make fun of the "tokenism."

He also recalled a Mitt Romney rally last year featuring Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, during which the staffer and his coworkers were tasked with finding Hispanics in the crowd who they could place on stage for the benefit of the TV cameras. It's a common, bipartisan practice in campaign politics — but one that his colleagues resented.

"My white peers were clearly not understanding what a powerful image a Hispanic senator standing in front of a sea of Hispanic Romney supporters would be," he said. "They grumbled about it, treated it like a chore. Not racist or anything like that, just didn't understand why they were doing it."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/a-very-white-republican-leadership-plans-minority-outreach

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't actually have a WSJ account -- I saw it through Frum, and Klein picked it up this morning. The quote is from "sources close to the White House." What that means is pretty up in the air. It's also worth noting that the WSJ had the scoop, not the Post. During the cliff and budget wars, leaks about the White House perspective usually went straight to Ezra Klein.

Yea if they aren't saying "sources in the White House" or "close to the President" that means it's probably just a congressional staffer who occasionally visits on business or something. When it comes to attributing anonymous sources, you want to describe their role and position as accurately as possible without giving away, or giving any hints toward, their identity. Or at times they may give you a way to attribute to them. Basically if it's not from "in" then take it with a grain of salt. Plus I doubt the White House is giving the WSJ any scoops.

I just got a Robocall from him today asking for money to fight "Obama's liberal agenda." It was "urgent".
Well yeah. Obama's trying to push through his liberal agenda RIGHT NOW.

hot2-620x362.jpg

Look at'em, right now. That's probably tofu!

The only way you can stop it is if you send us money!

At least you know he probably worked hard to get you back as much money as possible.

Yep, no doubt. You should meet my landlord. I mean the guy is 80 years old but if you talk to him you'd think he's part of some nutty survivalist group gearing up for the great obamarecession.

Clevinger

What do you do if you're the RNC and you want to fix your huge Latino problem? Why, you hire an incompetent buffoon who's wrong about everything.

Dick Morris is working with Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus on a new television advertisement that will include Preibus seeking to attract Latino voters, Morris revealed during an appearance in New York City Thursday.

Speaking at the Poli Conference, a political consulting event for Latin American campaign professionals, Morris said the ad will feature Priebus reaching out to "those Latin Americans who've come to the United States to help us build our country, to help harvest our food, to help make our economy work and [Priebus'] message is 'welcome, we need you, you're making our country younger, more prosperous, harder working and we need you for the future.'"

According to Morris, the ad will make use of "that concept of reflecting back to people their own value and their own worth. In the advertisement he [Priebus] says, 'we honor our ancestors who took covered wagons to settle the west and brave the Indians, but you are the new pioneers, you are the new people in America doing that.' And I think that is a very, very interesting thing to do in a campaign."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The base is going to love that ad btw.

Completely contradicts the lazy (illegal) immigrants on benefits stereotype they have come to believe (somehow they are simultaneously lazy AND stealing our jerbs!)

It's not surprising why they wouldn't send SS cut info to Klein. The NY Times also has a story about Medicare cuts being discussed.

Both the administration’s and Mr. Cantor’s interest in restructuring Medicare’s Parts A and B dates to 2011, when various proposals were considered by a deficit-reduction group headed by Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. that included Mr. Cantor.

The goal is to discourage people from seeking unneeded treatments, shrink health spending and offset the costs of a cap on beneficiaries’ total out-of-pocket costs. Such a cap would reduce beneficiaries’ need for extra insurance. About 90 percent of beneficiaries in the traditional Medicare program have supplemental coverage through Medigap policies, employers’ retiree plans or Medicaid for low-income people.

Many health-policy economists have called for creating a single, unified deductible. The current two deductibles reflect separate legislative tracks that came together in the creation of Medicare in 1965. The deductible for Part A hospital care is relatively high ($1,184 this year), while that for Part B doctor care is relatively low ($147). Patients also have co-payments for many services.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/u...gton-for-medicare-changes.html?pagewanted=all

The Medicare changes seem fine on paper (thus far), I'd have to see more. As the article points out, most of the folks impacted by this would have other means of coverage open to them.

Piecake

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/30/us/supreme-courts-glimpse-at-thinking-on-same-sex-marriage.html?hp[/URL]

As it turns out, it would seem that the conservative members of the court, making a calculation that their chances of winning would not improve with time, were behind the decision to take up the volatile subject.

Instead, the court granted review in the case. That was a surprise and a puzzle. Who had voted to hear it?

One school of thought was that the court’s four liberals were ready to try to capture Justice Kennedy’s decisive vote to establish a right to same-sex marriage around the nation.

That theory was demolished in the courtroom as one liberal justice after another sought to find a way to avoid providing an answer to the central question in the case. The decision to hear the case, it turned out, had come from the other side.

Justice Scalia, almost certainly joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr., apparently made a twofold calculation: that their odds of winning would not improve as same-sex marriage grows more popular and more commonplace, and that Justice Kennedy, who is likely to write the decision in the case concerning the 1996 law, would lock himself into rhetoric and logic that would compel him to vote for a constitutional right to same-sex marriage in a later case.

It is not that the conservatives felt certain they would win. It is that their chances would not improve in the years ahead.

Not to sure what to make of this...

Part of me wants to think that they can't possibly have the ad say that. The other part of me knows they are Republicans, and it is Dick Morris and Reince Priebus...

[cue ominous camera shots of hazardous weather, wild animals, and Native Americans]. Narrator: "our ancestors overcame a lot of obstacles to get where we are today" [cue shot of July 4th parade, Dow Jones average, New York city skyscrapers]. "Now you [cue shot of Hispanic family] face your own obstacles [cue shot of unpicked tomatoes, unemployment line, Pitbull]. But the republican party stands with you [cue shot of Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Ronald Reagan] as fellow Americans. Together let's build a future for all our children [cue shot of Home Depot, truck with smiling Hispanics]"

pigeon

Banned

I think I read a similar argument to this on ThinkProgress. I don't know that I agree with all the shading, though. I think SCOTUS could definitely dismiss as improvidently granted -- in fact, they'll have to if they can't get five votes. It's also conceivable that they might split different ways -- imagine Roberts writing a 5-4 decision striking down DOMA on federalism grounds, and Kennedy chairing a 5-4 striking down Prop 8 on equal protection grounds. That would definitely be fun to watch.

Um...can I get a second opinion on this article to make sure I'm not the only one going wtf:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-...ave-to-apologize-for-his-‘bestiality’-remark/

I can understand this slippery slope argument with respect to polygamy (that involves willing adult participants). Sotomayor did a bit of a freestyle on that very point last week, wondering how else the definition might be changed.

But when you bring illegal, reprehensible acts like pedophilia into the discussion as a means of comparison you move into troll territory IMO. I'm not sure I'd say Carson was directly equating homosexuality with pedophilia in terms of both being equally wrong/immoral, but his slippery slope clearly is set up to argue redefining marriage would somehow lead to statutory rape laws being banned because...because. Two grown men being married in no way is comparable to a man marrying a child - legally it's not even in the same fucking ballpark.

Likewise marrying an animal can't logically be compared to two human adults being married. But I do think the polygamy question is legit.

Likewise marrying an animal can't logically be compared to two human adults being married. But I do think the polygamy question is legit.

No its really not. Because gay marriage doesn't change the 2 partners committing to a union all it does is change a homophobic discrimination on who can be in one. I don't know how it "redefines" anything. A marriage is just a legal union between two people. Its doesn't fall under equal protection and because there is a rational basis for banning it (unequal treatment of members for one) and there is no oppressed class that can't change who they are.

No its really not. Because gay marriage doesn't change the 2 partners committing to a union. Its doesn't fall under equal protection and because there is a rational basis for banning it (unequal treatment of members for one) and there is no oppressed class that can't change who they are.

That's the weakest argument of the lot. Go with the federal fisk one.

The funny thing is that the polygamy argument doesn't work on me at all. I'm all for it being legalized. Although practically speaking it'd be a nightmare for the tax code. It would definitely be harder to implement than just saying "okay, you can get married now."

pigeon

Banned

They specifically talk about this in the arguments. The equal protection argument is about regulating characteristics, not conduct -- you're allowed to regulate one but not the other. That's why it was important to establish that being gay isn't a choice. Now, if you were to argue that polyamorousness is an innate characteristic, that would be one thing (and an interesting discussion), but I don't think that's settled to the extent that homosexuality being a characteristic is, so the argument doesn't extend.

Gotchaye

There are clear public policy reasons to worry about polyamory that simply don't apply to homosexual unions. Legalizing gay marriage probably isn't going to turn everyone gay; it's a lot more plausible that, over time, normalized polyamory will produce lots more polygamy than polyandry to the detriment of sexual equality and with unfortunate side effects similar to what China sees as a result of widespread sex-selective abortion. This isn't even that speculative - polygamy has been widespread before, and societies with lots of polygamy have had lots of problems because of it. Polyamory may not be in-principle problematic, but we have a lot more work to do on sexual equality before we try to normalize it. There is no similar reason to worry about legitimizing homosexual unions; it's ridiculously implausible that some huge percentage of the population will turn gay as homosexuality becomes less stigmatized, and it's likewise implausible that there will be a large and problematic imbalance of openly gay men to openly gay women. It's much easier to make the rational basis argument here.

Also, the polyamorous relationships that would actually seek legal recognition would be the ones that we want to discourage. There are plenty of harmless polyamorous relationships, but the ones that would jump at legal plural marriage are often abusive.

Edit: And the psychological slippery slope argument - the idea that making marriage no longer "special", in a very particular sense, will lead to people becoming more inclined to accept kinds of sexual relationships that we all think are problematic - is silly because it cuts both ways. If your position is that it's really, really important that everyone think that particular sorts of relationships are better than others and that it's really, really important to have a special institution for this, then you should be really, really concerned with making sure that the sorts of relationships that people do think are better than all others are in that institution. The institution of marriage does in fact face a crisis of legitimacy. Something like 70% of young people (the people whose attitudes towards marriage we're most concerned about) think that marriage as it exists in most of the US is a bigoted institution. People with stable, loving relationships who want to be married are told that they can't get married, and are instead forced to model admirable unions that aren't marriages. I'm having a hard time imagining a politically feasible policy which would do a better job of blurring the lines between the relationships we deem marriages and those we don't. Unless gay marriage is problematic in itself - and people making this sort of slippery slope argument are typically making it precisely because they don't want to argue against gay marriage directly - there's every reason to quickly move all of these unproblematic gay relationships into the "marriage" category so that we can all go back to uncontroversially sneering at other sorts of relationships. Don't fight a battle where winning means convincing lots of people that "marriage" just isn't that big of a deal. It is absolutely bizarre that the mainstream conservative argument against gay marriage is that it's perfectly acceptable for two people who love each other and who may even want to raise children together to remain unmarried.

Morris either went completely insane or has just been acting to make money. It's hard to believe he's the same guy who molded Clinton's (bad policy good politics) triangulation strategy and helped navigate through Lewinsky.

I can tell when Rove is bullshitting but perhaps Morris has tricked us all lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom