• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any gun legislation is completely dead now.
It really felt like Newton was going to be the tipping point, but it didn't take more than a few days for people to start defending guns again (Did it even take a few days though...). While I agree the administration could have done more, Newton was never going to be the tipping point. If dead children can't stop people from defending guns they shouldn't own, nothing will.

Aaron

It really felt like Newton was going to be the tipping point, but it didn't take more than a few days for people to start defending guns again (Did it even take a few days though...). While I agree the administration could have done more, Newton was never going to be the tipping point. If dead children can't stop people from defending guns they shouldn't own, nothing will.
As long as the news media lets the NRA dictate the message nothing will change. They disperse the blame away from guns to all these unimportant issues, and just wait for the pointless discussion that results to die down, and the whole issue to blow over. They do this over and over again, but people seem content to let them get away with it.

Well I sort of went into it already in my post. If the banks had helped him pull it off do you really think he wouldn't have been blabbing it to everyone who would listen? We'd have heard about how the banks helped him pull it off long before now. His lawyer would have tried to cut a deal or they would have gone to the press. Obviously none of that happened. So, odds are the banks just turned a blind eye to what was going on (which is supported by an early post featuring an article from the NYTimes) and are currently worried about being held liable by a regulatory committee.

How would you personally define helping out in terms of JP Morgan's conduct? Turning a blind eye is ignoring/neglecting the activities of one of JP Morgan's clients on multiple occasions. He was moving cash suspiciously back and forth in their accounts. JP Morgan's behavior is a key factor in terms of the scale and length of the ponzi scheme. It cannot exist in the same way without their complicit behavior.

Additionally, the US government has yet to seek a fine or series of sanctions that poses a potential solvency risk for a reputable bank, therefore what would JP Morgan's concern be if it reached that stage?

Any gun legislation is completely dead now. You don't get stuff passed by using the bully pulpit every now and then. There's been almost no White House contact with the House or senate on guns (or just about anything) since the second term started. I just don't get it. Talking to republicans won't compel them to vote your way, but it strikes me as a more effective tactic than these sparse bully pulpit moments.

Firstly, I love how you say its COMPLETELY dead. Yea, ok. Will it include any ban on weapons or limitation of clips? Unfortunately not. Is background checks done? Not even close. If and when a bill is passed and signed I expect you to admit you were wrong YET again.

Secondly, I like how you place the blame at Obama's feet. If nothing passes the only blame should be placed at every House and Senator that blocks reform. It's a gun culture that runs deeper than any President is able to go. But yea,

'THANKS OBAMA'

So this is a great documentary, you guys should watch it. The ending has a holy shit moment and I'm wondering what you guys think of the quote on the money in tax havens

This money can't go to the shareholders of these companies because it would have to go through the US parent company [and be taxed]. (...) The only good news is that they've actually got to do something with this money and they're lending it to governments to pay for the deficits that most countries around the world are running. So mysteriously, tax havens are funding the deficits which governments are running, because they can't collect enough cash in the form tax from companies, because they are hiding it in tax havens. So we go around in a giant circle here, where these companies are lending this money to governments instead of paying it in tax, to make sure that the whole world system keeps going.

My mind was blown. What do you guys think? From:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531483

As long as the news media lets the NRA dictate the message nothing will change. They disperse the blame away from guns to all these unimportant issues, and just wait for the pointless discussion that results to die down, and the whole issue to blow over. They do this over and over again, but people seem content to let them get away with it.
Definitely.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't know if there was another thread, but here's this:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap..._over_michigan_repu.html#incart_most-comments
'Filthy homosexuals': Michigan GOP leader Dave Agema's Facebook post sparks furor

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Dave Agema, a former West Michigan state representative, faces calls for his resignation as Republican National Committeeman after he posted a Facebook article that calls homosexuals "filthy."

Agema, of Grandville, sparked a furor Wednesday after he posted to an article titled "Everyone Should Know These Statistics on Homosexuals" on his Facebook page.

The article, written by a "Frank Joseph, M.D.," purports homosexuals are promiscuous, riddled with sexually transmitted diseases and by and large are substance abusers.

It also alleges gay people are responsible for the spread of the AIDS virus in America, that "many homosexuals admit they are pedophiles" and that they are 100 times more likely to be murdered than "the average person."

The post, which only is viewable to Agema's Facebook friends, prompted swift blowback and calls for his resignation as a Michigan delegate to the Republican National Committee.

Republicans and Democrats both joined the chorus of critics, and even state Republican party leaders appeared to distance themselves from the matter.

Wilsongt

Oh my God... I just read that thing he linked on Facebook.

Some of these things are... wow.

Depending on the city, 39-59% of homosexuals are infected with intestinal parasites like worms, flukes and amoebae, which is common in filthy third world countries (8).

Homosexuals are 100 times more likely to be murdered (usually by another homosexual) than the average person, 25 times more likely to commit suicide, and 19 times more likely to die in a traffic accident (8).

Oh noes! Gays are terrible drivers!

Oh God. My sides.

Many homosexuals admit that they are pedophiles: "The love between men and boys is at the foundation of homosexuality" (22).

isoquant

SAN FRANCISCO — For years, Silicon Valley companies wanted as little to do with Washington as possible. Hiring lobbyists to promote and protect their interests was about as far as they went.

But a new generation of technology entrepreneurs believes it can no longer afford to ignore the Beltway, and is setting its sights on Capitol Hill.

Leading the way is Facebook co-founder and Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg, who with other tech executives is starting a political advocacy group that plans to push an ambitious legislative agenda, people familiar with the plans said.

Zuckerberg has pledged tens of millions of dollars to what is expected to become a $50-million war chest for the group, which is scheduled to launch in a couple of weeks, said the people, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Topping the agenda: comprehensive immigration reform that would raise work visa caps to address what they say is a shortage of engineers in Silicon Valley.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-silicon-valley-politics-20130329,0,4662371.story

It will be interesting to see whether Zuckerberg et al are content to use this group to lobby for corporate advantage, or will they try to use it to drive change on some of their pet political issues.

He supports Christie so I don't expect much goods, though I have no doubt this generation of lobbyist type groups are going to have even more knowledge about how to influence public opinion to their advantage. It's going to be a scary time.

I've ways kinda thought that if we're "stuck" with corporate lobbying, it'd be nice if it accidentally worked in my favor.

For example, I'm sure Microsoft/Apple/Google/etc. would want a better broadband system in the US for their digital distribution goals, so they should get together and go after Verizon/AT&T/etc.

If the giant mechs are gonna rule, then shit, they should fight each other sometimes

Dram

GOP Congressman Refuses To Apologize For Calling Latinos Racial Slur
http://www.adn.com/2013/03/28/2844145/rep-young-calls-farm-workers-wetbacks.html
Rep. Don Young's use of an ethnic slur to describe the California farm workers who picked tomatoes for his father threatens to become an embarrassment for a Republican Party trying to court Hispanic voters.

In a radio interview in Ketchikan Tuesday, Young, R-Alaska, called the workers "wetbacks." The pejorative term was once commonly used to refer to undocumented Mexican aliens who reached the United States by fording the Rio Grande along the Texas border. The Spanish term is "mojado," for "wet."

Speaking with a reporter for community radio KRBD during an Easter recess visit to Southeast Alaska, the 79-year-old Young launched into one of his trademark diatribes against the federal government. Then, according to an audio clip and news story posted on the station's website, Young moved on to a discussion of the economy and automation, offering up a personal example.

"I used to own -- my father had a ranch. We used to hire 50 to 60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes. You know it takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It's all done by machine."

Bloggers quickly picked up on the interview Thursday, and by 7 p.m. in Alaska, Young's office released a statement in which Young said he "meant no disrespect." But Young stopped short of apologizing.

"During a sit down interview with Ketchikan Public Radio this week, I used a term that was commonly used during my days growing up on a farm in Central California," Young said in the statement. "I know that this term is not used in the same way nowadays and I meant no disrespect."

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder if he remembers what the typical word for black people on the farm 60 years ago was, and if he'd be okay with just using that one too?

GOP can be better at not making hateful remarks about minorities and women, but if they don't change their policies they're not going to get it.

GOP isn't getting Latinos because they say mean things about them, but because Latinos are more than not the traditional minority constituency Democrats rely on.

Firstly, I love how you say its COMPLETELY dead. Yea, ok. Will it include any ban on weapons or limitation of clips? Unfortunately not. Is background checks done? Not even close. If and when a bill is passed and signed I expect you to admit you were wrong YET again.

Secondly, I like how you place the blame at Obama's feet. If nothing passes the only blame should be placed at every House and Senator that blocks reform. It's a gun culture that runs deeper than any President is able to go. But yea,

'THANKS OBAMA'
I'm not counting 60 votes for background checks though. Manchin is currently working with the NRA on background check legislation...does anyone think it will be acceptable?

I don't think Obama deserves all the blame, clearly any legislation was going to be tough. But his handling of the situation has been weak IMO, and similar to what he does with most legislation fights. At some point we have to realize his bully pulpit isn't impressive and never works. The best example of him "taking it to the people" was during the health care fight when he started doing town halls, and most agree those started too late.

It just seems like he has no inside game unless the deck is stacked in his favor. Everyone knew he of all presidents couldn't pass an AWB; btw I think the same about Hillary, she incites the right too much to pass something like this either. I thought they should have quickly voted on the AWB early in this process, let it die, and then move on; instead they allowed it to drag out for months, then didn't even vote on it due to a lack of even 50 votes.

Bottom line I believe months of Obama personally courting senate republicans on background checks, straw purchases, and mental health aide would have worked far better than sparse tv appearances that essentially preach to the choir. If you can pass something in the senate, you have a shot in the house. There are some purple district/blue state house republicans who could be pressed personally by the president, at the White House. This isn't like raising taxes or some dead end subject. There is universal support for this stuff, you'd think democrats would be polling this on district levels to figure out who could be persuaded to vote yes.

No inside game my ass.

The cause of so much Congressional gridlock and inaction since the 111th is because Republicans have moved too far to the right to get anything done. That's it. There's no other explanation needed.

Bottom line I believe months of Obama personally courting senate republicans on background checks, straw purchases, and mental health aide would have worked far better than sparse tv appearances that essentially preach to the choir.

First of all legislation doesn't move that fast. And second, you by into the more dinners = more cooperation? Where the hell have you been the last 5 years. They won't do anything to help Obama that won't help themselves it doesn't matter how nice he asks.

I'm not counting 60 votes for background checks though. Manchin is currently working with the NRA on background check legislation...does anyone think it will be acceptable?

I don't think Obama deserves all the blame, clearly any legislation was going to be tough. But his handling of the situation has been weak IMO, and similar to what he does with most legislation fights. At some point we have to realize his bully pulpit isn't impressive and never works. The best example of him "taking it to the people" was during the health care fight when he started doing town halls, and most agree those started too late.

It just seems like he has no inside game unless the deck is stacked in his favor. Everyone knew he of all presidents couldn't pass an AWB; btw I think the same about Hillary, she incites the right too much to pass something like this either. I thought they should have quickly voted on the AWB early in this process, let it die, and then move on; instead they allowed it to drag out for months, then didn't even vote on it due to a lack of even 50 votes.

Bottom line I believe months of Obama personally courting senate republicans on background checks, straw purchases, and mental health aide would have worked far better than sparse tv appearances that essentially preach to the choir. If you can pass something in the senate, you have a shot in the house. There are some purple district/blue state house republicans who could be pressed personally by the president, at the White House. This isn't like raising taxes or some dead end subject. There is universal support for this stuff, you'd think democrats would be polling this on district levels to figure out who could be persuaded to vote yes.

But lets look at it. Even with a 90% support for background checks te GOP is STILL against passing such a bill. Think about that stat. 9 out of every 10 Voters are for something that most GOP congress members are refusing to support. There isn't anything that Obama could do to change that. If 20 kids being mowed down in a school isn't going to do it I can't think of anything that would. The GOP is just too far gone into the pocketbook of the NRA.

But lets look at it. Even with a 90% support for background checks te GOP is STILL against passing such a bill. Think about that stat. 9 out of every 10 Voters are for something that most GOP congress members are refusing to support. There isn't anything that Obama could do to change that. If 20 kids being mowed down in a school isn't going to do it I can't think of anything that would. The GOP is just too far gone into the pocketbook of the NRA.
But wouldn't you agree many congressmen are more interested in what the folks in their district support/don't support? National numbers may be abstract to someone in the reddest district of a blue state, for instance. We know the WH targeted GOP congressmen in blue districts for the health care law; that's how they got that Asian rep from Louisiana to vote for an iteration of the bill. Why not do that with guns and start figuring out who is a potential vote? It's not like Obama needs a majority of house republicans. Plus since the economy is better now than it was in 2009/2010, the vote would be safer.

But wouldn't you agree many congressmen are more interested in what the folks in their district support/don't support? National numbers may be abstract to someone in the reddest district of a blue state, for instance. We know the WH targeted GOP congressmen in blue districts for the health care law; that's how they got that Asian rep from Louisiana to vote for an iteration of the bill. Why not do that with guns and start figuring out who is a potential vote? It's not like Obama needs a majority of house republicans. Plus since the economy is better now than it was in 2009/2010, the vote would be safer.

Why do you assume he hasn't/isn't doing just that? Harry Reid was trying to woo a few 'moderate' GOP Senators and still is. Now you have 5 GOP Senators promising to filibuster any gun control legislation (thanks Harry).

Why do you assume he hasn't/isn't doing just that? Harry Reid was trying to woo a few 'moderate' GOP Senators and still is. Now you have 5 GOP Senators promising to filibuster any gun control legislation (thanks Harry).
The National Memo had an article a few weeks ago about there being next to no contact between the WH staff and house republicans on any issue. Dinners are nice but traditionally a president's best "bully pulpit" is face to face with congressmen and senators during serious discussion. Ultimately you're right that many republicans wouldn't vote with Obama to save their lives but if you can get the senate to act, then court some moderate house republicans, something can be done. But you have to kill the AWB, which I'm fine with because it won't lower gun crime; people will still have assault weapons. You have to cut down on trafficking.

The National Memo had an article a few weeks ago about there being next to no contact between the WH staff and house republicans on any issue. Dinners are nice but traditionally a president's best "bully pulpit" is face to face with congressmen and senators during serious discussion. Ultimately you're right that many republicans wouldn't vote with Obama to save their lives but if you can get the senate to act, then court some moderate house republicans, something can be done. But you have to kill the AWB, which I'm fine with because it won't lower gun crime; people will still have assault weapons. You have to cut down on trafficking.
how many Republicans has he gotten to vote for a sequester alternative, again?

yeah, he was able to get 1 Republican rep to vote for healthcare. one. who had the bluest district of any Republican in the country. and lost heavily in 2010 (of all years) to a non-scandal plagued Democrat.

Do you really think that something with 90% national support does not have majority support in most red districts. Maybe there are a FEW deep red outliers but I'd say the full background checks have majority support in their districts. And you can bet that someone is doing that polling right now and will use it against them in the next election.

The real problem is the gun-nuts use it as a litmus test vote whereas other people don't generally don't care much about the issue.

The recovery is here and look at all the nice things a democrat government can provide

The new DC budget includes....
Streetcars: In the 6-year capital plan, streetcars get $400 million, which should fund completing the first line from Minnesota Avenue to Georgetown, engineering the Anacostia line, and studies for north-south lines such as Georgia Avenue.

The operating budget contains $6.2 million to start running the streetcar, which Gray continues to promise will roll by the end of the calendar year.

Bike infrastructure: There is a pot of $10.7 million for bike lanes and trails, which appears to be entirely new; formerly, there was no dedicated local bike money. The budget staff have promised to follow up to confirm this. Another $5.1 million will go to "bike-friendly streetscapes," which will be interesting to see in more detail.

Capital Bikeshare: The mayor is funding 10 more Capital Bikeshare stations beyond the ones that area already supposed to be going in. In December, DDOT announced 78 locations, of which it had funding for 54 and was going to install those by March. Unfortunately, it's late in installing most of those. That list also identified 24 future locations, so this budget funds 10.

Taxes: The budget imposes no new taxes or fees, maintains DC's fund balance, and keeps the debt cap at 12%. The administration also wants to get rid of the tax on out-of-state bonds, which they say primarily impacts seniors and is far and away the biggest complaint they get about taxes. Gray chief of staff Chris Murphy said they "always felt it was ill-conceived."

Affordable housing: As promised, the administration is putting a one-time $100 million into affordable housing. $86.9 million goes into the Housing Production Trust Fund, ($20M in FY 2014 and the rest in FY 2013). The rest, $13.1 million, goes to other smaller initiatives that the recent Comprehensive Housing Strategy Task Force recommended. He is also promising to keep the 15% of the Deed Recordation and Transfer Tax, which is supposed to go to the HPTF, in there; previous budgets raided that to fund other programs.

Parks: The capital budget provides $50 million for parks (likely a few different small parks) in NoMA: $25 million to acquire land, and $25 million for development. DC made a mistake when it upzoned NoMA without any plan for parks, which is why this is going to be expensive. However, NoMA is generating a lot of tax revenue.

Other parks capital spending includes $20 million fro the Fort Dupont ice arena, $26.4 million for Barry Farm, $2M to renovate and improve athletic fields and parks, $18M for the Southeast tennis & learning center, and funding to modernize 32 play spaces in 8 wards including Fort Greble, Palisades, Macomb, and Takoma which will start in April as well as already-underway work at Noyes, Raymond, and Rosedale.

Libraries: Gray is expanding funding for DC Public Libraries so that every library can be open 7 days a week. Most will be open until 9 pm Monday to Thursday as well as afternoons on Saturday and Sunday. They also get $2 million for books and e-books.

Further, the budget provides $103 million to renovate and, as part of a public-private partnership, expand the MLK Library. There is $15.2 million to renovate the Cleveland Park library, $21.7 for the Palisades library, and $4.8 million for Woodridge's library.

Trash: Residents who want to replace their trash cans are in luck: the administration wants to replace everyone's trash cans over 5 years, for free. If there is money available, they also hope to let people replace stolen or damaged cans without the fee residents have to pay today.

Flooding: Bloomingdale residents hopefully will see some relief from their flooding problems with $1.5 million in the budget to pay for recommendations from the task force studying those problems.

Raises: DC employees will get their first pay raise in 4-7 years, spanning both union and non-union employees, and DC will fully fund its pension obligations.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org...parks-and-libraries-get-boost-in-gray-budget/

A republican state would have cut taxes instead.

Its no wonder DC is one of the hottest cities to immigrate into in the country.

The recovery is here and look at all the nice things a democrat government can provide

http://greatergreaterwashington.org...parks-and-libraries-get-boost-in-gray-budget/

Yeah, a Democratic-run government is always pretty swell. Look at California balancing its budget, or Minnesota finally putting all its money back into the schools Pawlenty robbed to pay for his tax cuts (while raising fees and fines, which don't count as tax increases!).

Yeah, a Democratic-run government is always pretty swell. Look at California balancing its budget, or Minnesota finally putting all its money back into the schools Pawlenty robbed to pay for his tax cuts (while raising fees and fines, which don't count as tax increases!).

I live in IL, I can vouch this isn't true.

Of course, local Democrats are often as far from progressive as you can imagine.

Fuchsdh

Our county government continues to try and foist a streetcar on us to jack up already sky-high property values and add "cachet" or something. I want to smack the people who dreamed it up. Streetcars are a waste of coin most of the time, and definitely in DC.

Of course, local Democrats are often as far from progressive as you can imagine.
Illinois I would make an exception for just because it seems to be one of those states where if you're not a Democrat you can't get elected anything. So i imagine there are plenty of blue dogs there.

fallagin

Yeah, its kind of hard for local dems to do much. They are on a fixed budget unlike the federal government. Still superior to republicans in any sense.

pigeon

Banned
cbs news said:
MIAMI - President Obama on Friday unveiled a series of proposals aimed at enticing private investments for public infrastructure projects, which he says will create new jobs, facilitate economic growth, and help modernize America's roads, rails and bridges.

Mr. Obama, speaking at the Port of Miami in Florida, outlined a program of bonds and other measures to encourage such spending on roads, bridges and ports. He said his plan would enable companies to share in returns, and that projects would be selected based on their potential economic benefits rather than "pork-barrel politics."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...racting-private-investments-for-public-works/

Ugh. I hate this plan so much already. I mean, I understand the goal here, which is to try to boost the economy without spending any government money, but I'm really annoyed that Obama's moving to the center with his budget after the Senate held pretty firm. The WSJ also has a source that Obama may include chained CPI as a formal part of his budget, which seems just idiotic to me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...racting-private-investments-for-public-works/

Ugh. I hate this plan so much already. I mean, I understand the goal here, which is to try to boost the economy without spending any government money, but I'm really annoyed that Obama's moving to the center with his budget after the Senate held pretty firm. The WSJ also has a source that Obama may include chained CPI as a formal part of his budget, which seems just idiotic to me.

Obama giving away concessions before negotiations begin? Shocker.

The investment plan is also idiotic, and an example of a dysfunctional congress. But then again I'm baffled that he hasn't tried to find 200-300b in spending cuts to pay for an infrastructure plan.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Really though, Fuck private investment in public infrastructure. Just make it a spending priority, it benefits everyone and businesses, when a business develops infrastructure they either want it private to themselves (cell providers) or if they fund public infrastructure they want a profit, so we get less infrastructure at a higher cost.

Obama giving away concessions before negotiations begin? Shocker.

The investment plan is also idiotic, and an example of a dysfunctional congress. But then again I'm baffled that he hasn't tried to find 200-300b in spending cuts to pay for an infrastructure plan.
If Obama offered spending cuts to pay for an infrastructure plan, Boehner would just say he wants the spending cuts without an infrastructure plan. They could only go towards paying down the deficit or paying for more tax cuts.

Come on dude, you have to know this by now.

If Obama offered spending cuts to pay for an infrastructure plan, Boehner would just say he wants the spending cuts without an infrastructure plan. They could only go towards paying down the deficit or paying for more tax cuts.

Come on dude, you have to know this by now.

If Obama offered spending cuts for infrastructure development, PD would accuse him of negotiating with himself.

If Obama offered spending cuts for infrastructure development, PD would accuse him of negotiating with himself.
If Obama offered tax increases for infrastructure development, PD would accuse him of being ridiculous.

If Obama requested infrastructure development that was somehow revenue and deficit neutral, PD would accuse him of being naive in dealing with Speaker Boehner.

If Obama existed, PD would accuse him of something.

Our county government continues to try and foist a streetcar on us to jack up already sky-high property values and add "cachet" or something. I want to smack the people who dreamed it up. Streetcars are a waste of coin most of the time, and definitely in DC.

As a substitute for real rail, yes it's terrible, but the dc routes are to provide more capacity along popular bus routes

The state is VERY lucky that Chicago wasn't a rustbelt city. At least in the traditional sense.

Chicago is really lucky to be on the banks of a great lake and hence see lot of industrialization and development. Otherwise Illinois would have been another Indiana. Boring, bilble thumping red state. Some of the republicans I encounter in Chicago are simply the worst. My HR Block tax guy was so anti-government it was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom