• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson released a statement shortly after the court's ruling, saying it was a "victory for all voters as all states can now act equally without some having to ask for permission or being required to jump through the extraordinary hoops demanded by federal bureaucracy."
You know, except the people trying to vote.

thcsquad

Weiner in stiff competition

Weiner rises past stiff competition

In other news, I did my part today, guys. My district is highly Democratic, but somehow my polls were open until a reasonable hour. If Gomez wins by one vote, it's not my fault. I'm gonna say Markey by 10%?

Nelson Mandela opens eyes, smiles when told Obama is visiting South Africa

PRETORIA, South Africa – Nelson Mandela “opened his eyes” and smiled after being told of President Barack Obama’s imminent visit to South Africa, his daughter said Tuesday, adding to speculation that the two men might meet.

The 94-year-old remains in a critical condition, South Africa’s government said Tuesday as relatives gathered at his home for a family meeting that local media reports described as “urgent.”

The anti-apartheid campaigner and democracy icon has been in hospital with a lung infection since June 8. His condition was downgraded over the weekend from “serious but stable” to “critical.”

Obama is due to leave Wednesday for Senegal, his first stop in a tour of Africa, before heading to South Africa on Friday.

Officials have said it is up to Mandela’s family to decide if the former leader is well enough to meet the president, and no meeting is scheduled.

Zindzi Mandela said Tuesday that she had said to her father: “Obama is coming.”

“He opened his eyes and gave me a smile,” she said.
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/06/25/nels...les-when-told-obama-is-visiting-south-africa/

Touching. I'm anticipating lots of republican salt and snark.

Weiner rises past stiff competition

In other news, I did my part today, guys. My district is highly Democratic, but somehow my polls were open until a reasonable hour. If Gomez wins by one vote, it's not my fault. I'm gonna say Markey by 10%?

When do the polls close?

Edit: Looks like 8pm.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They say it supports their belief that South Carolina has moved forward and corrected many of the wrongs that existed when the Voting Rights Act became law.

And barring an Act of Congress to update the section struck down Tuesday, meaning controversial election law changes like voter ID will soon be fully implemented.
Oh my head

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Weiner is quite average. He'll need some assistant pumping past his competition.

I dunno, his numbers seem to be surging past the competition's.

So what do you do when the IRS "scandal" isn't going according to plan?

3 words:
BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI!

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2...kindles-flame-with-the-one-that-got-away?lite

No, just no. They got that from the Onion didn't they? No, I refuse to believe that's real.

Guys, I just thought of a genius plan

501(c)4 called Benghazi Truthseekers

We could make so much money...

This is a very, very good point. Roberts, in writing the Court's opinion, didn't mention what part of the Constitution the VRA violated.

Roberts: "Yeah, I don't really like it. So let's chuck it."

This is what I meant when I said that lay persons (and even most lawyers, probably) will not understand how radical the decision is from a legal perspective, i.e., without even considering the substantive outcome. The most fundamental element of due process is that the government not act arbitrarily and irrationally. Any time the government does so, it acts unconstitutionally. If the Congress acts pursuant to a delegated power, then the act is legal unless it either violates some individual liberty (never a question in this case) or is simply an irrational act (e.g., to enforce the Fifteenth Amendment, the Congress passed a law that said that states whose names have more than five letters are subject to extra scrutiny). To be rational, the SCOTUS only needs to be able to find some basis in the congressional record, however thin, from which Congress could have rationally concluded that the law it passed advanced a legitimate end, i.e., an end over which the constitution gives it the authority to legislate.

It is an extreme act for the SCOTUS to declare that a law passed overwhelmingly by the US Congress was done so arbitrarily and irrationally. But that's what they just did. Five unelected people declared that almost 500 other people--people elected by the American people--acted not just unreasonably or wrongly (neither of which are unconstitutional), but irrationally. I think it may even be historically unprecedented for this country (I've been waiting for somebody to show me any similar precedent, but I haven't seen it yet).

Snake

Markey has taken the lead without a single vote from Boston being reported.

edit: and immediately after I post, Boston starts reporting! Markey's lead expands to 4 points.

User 406

Banned
Is there a list of all the proposed legislation over the decades from the states on the VRA's list that the DOJ flagged as voter suppression and kept them on that list? If there isn't one, someone needs to compile it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Apparently, Greg Mankiw thinks the best way to dig out of a hole is to dig UP:

After first announcing he would not respond to his critics, Mankiw decided to reply to a small riposte from Paul Krugman. The context here is that Mankiw is arguing that something very close to full equality of opportunity exists in the United States right now, and America’s lack of intergenerational mobility simply reflects the fact that smart, hardworking parents pass those traits genetically on to their children. Krugman noted (as did I) that more affluent parents spend far more than poor children do on “enrichment expenditures” — “books, computers, high-quality child care, summer camps, private schooling, and other things that promote the capabilities of their children.”

Mankiw’s response is that this enrichment spending is all wasted. How does he know? Because he is a parent himself, and Krugman isn’t:

"I am a parent of three, and as far as I know, Paul does not have any children. So I have probably spent a lot more on this category than he has. And I can report that much of it is consumption, not investment."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/06/greg-mankiw-loves-one-percent-doesnt-know-why.html

thcsquad

A bunch more of Boston came in and it jumped to over 9%. We still have 10% or so of Boston to come in, and 50% of Cambridge (more liberal than Boston) as well. I think it's going to be close to 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom