• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

The Autumn Wind
They're just going to ignore the demographic shifts happening? The share of the white vote in national elections has bee steadily dropping, and they think relying more on a shrinking, dying voter base is the future for the GOP?
Then again, this is the same party that can't get it through their heads that rape is bad, and that thinks trivializing rape is somehow good politics, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at this.
With the VRA struck down, soon-to-be-passed voter ID laws will prevent plenty of minorities from voting. Problem solved!

When the Republican party is destroyed, my ideal scenario is that the Dems split into two parties.

One for the Liberal Progressives like Elizabeth Warren and the other for Center-Right like Obama.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, I haven't been following politics lately, but where is this confidence coming from? They got destroyed in the Hispanic vote in 2012 and they think abandoning immigration reform is a wise and winning move?!

It's a matter of timing I guess. They acknowledge that someday they will require the hispanic vote, and that their base will die of old age, but for 2014 that base is still alive and kicking, and hispanics haven't reached a critical mass quite yet.

Honestly I'm not sure if passing immigration reform is a good idea for them politically. Giving immigrants a path to citizenship and thus voting rights could just expedite that problem.

On one hand they have a growing population of financially liberal but potentially socially conservative hispanics.

On the other they have a growing number of socially liberal but potentially financially conservative youths.

Right now the democrats are benefiting from both thanks to their more moderate nature, and it's hard to see how the republicans can successfully make gains in both demographics at the same time. Can Rand Paul really court hispanics? Can Rubio really court the youth? I don't think so.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
205_10_01_13_8_57_55.png

This image says so damn much. (blue is where Gore did better than obama, red vice versa)

Is there a good in depth analysis of this? I mean, there's a really obvious conclusion to draw from it, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable actually drawing it so flippantly.

Also, the GOP ignoring immigration is hilarious. The party really is run by idiots. They just need more white votes! Unfortunately, those white voters aren't conservative. And a lot of the older white voters will be replaced by younger white voters as time keeps moving on. The problem isn't that they didn't tap enough into the white vote, it's that there isn't any more conservative white vote out there. Young white people aren't like the old white people...
You should check out Sean Trende's analysis of why demographics are good for the GOP. Somehow Obama's bad performance with white voters will extend to all future Democratic candidates, while his not being on the ballot will depress black turnout or allow more of them to vote Republican. How delightfully convenient!

Except historically, Obama's vote share among white and black voters has been similar to that of Clinton, Gore and Kerry, and the emerging Democratic majority is a result of a more diverse electorate, and that Hispanics and Asians are becoming more reliably Democratic than ever before. You know, the two fastest growing ethnic groups in America, and also the two who would benefit most from passing immigration reform, which the House Republican majority is firmly standing in the way of.

In conclusion

unskewniverse.jpg

If you don't mind, as someone from Louisiana, I'd like to weigh in on Jindal, even though I missed the conversation last night.

First off, it's not race. His dropping poll numbers come from his constant campaigning out of state, continual slicing and dicing of the state budget to make a "balanced" document (as required by law) only to have mid-year deficits that cause yet another hit to higher ed and health care. Then he completely disappeared this session after his tax reform that appeared to be thrown together for conservative bonafides did not find a very receptive audience among the lawmakers who would have to deal with the changes long after he was gone.

There's also some of his big reforms passed in a way found unconstitutional, the investigation of how his former health secretary awarded a Medicaid contract, and his administration is VERY insular. It's either his way or the highway. He'll campaign on making government more transparent, but his office is locked down tight.

He was sold as a wunderkind, but now the emperor has no clothes. He's becoming Louisiana's version of Mitt Romney where everyone will be happy to be rid of him.

Personally, I don't think Jindal knows how to NOT be the golden boy. Everything he's done has been to ultimately run for president - Education reform, transparency, tax reform - but nobody wants him now.

But in the interim, looking to win the hearts of the state GOP is David Vitter, who's widely rumored to be running for governor. I'm not looking forward to that possibility. There's a good piece about this in the New Republic:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113661/bobby-jindal-and-david-vitters-feud#

Anyway, hope that gives some background. I'll try to answer anything I missed.

If you don't mind, as someone from Louisiana, I'd like to weigh in on Jindal, even though I missed the conversation last night.

First off, it's not race. His dropping poll numbers come from his constant campaigning out of state, continual slicing and dicing of the state budget to make a "balanced" document (as required by law) only to have mid-year deficits that cause yet another hit to higher ed and health care. Then he completely disappeared this session after his tax reform that appeared to be thrown together for conservative bonafides did not find a very receptive audience among the lawmakers who would have to deal with the changes long after he was gone.

There's also some of his big reforms passed in a way found unconstitutional, the investigation of how his former health secretary awarded a Medicaid contract, and his administration is VERY insular. It's either his way or the highway. He'll campaign on making government more transparent, but his office is locked down tight.

He was sold as a wunderkind, but now the emperor has no clothes. He's becoming Louisiana's version of Mitt Romney where everyone will be happy to be rid of him.

Personally, I don't think Jindal knows how to NOT be the golden boy. Everything he's done has been to ultimately run for president - Education reform, transparency, tax reform - but nobody wants him now.

But in the interim, looking to win the hearts of the state GOP is David Vitter, who's widely rumored to be running for governor. I'm not looking forward to that possibility. There's a good piece about this in the New Republic:

Thanks for the writeup.

RDreamer

So, that republican plan to arm teachers is getting a little resistance... from insurance companies

As more schools consider arming their employees, some districts are encountering a daunting economic hurdle: insurance carriers threatening to raise their premiums or revoke coverage entirely.

During legislative sessions this year, seven states enacted laws permitting teachers or administrators to carry guns in schools. Three of the measures -- in Kansas, South Dakota and Tennessee -- took effect last week.

But already, EMC Insurance Companies, the liability insurance provider for about 90 percent of Kansas school districts, has sent a letter to its agents saying that schools permitting employees to carry concealed handguns would be declined coverage.

In northeast Indiana, Douglas A. Harp, the sheriff of Noble County, offered to deputize teachers to carry handguns in their classrooms less than a week after 26 children and educators were killed in a school shooting in Newtown, Conn. A community member donated $27,000 in firearms to the effort. School officials from three districts seemed ready to sign off. But the plan fell apart after an insurer refused to provide workers' compensation to schools with gun-carrying staff members.

The Oregon School Boards Association, which manages liability coverage for all but a handful of the state's school districts, recently announced a new pricing structure that would make districts pay an extra $2,500 annual premium for every staff member carrying a weapon on the job.

Scott Whitman, an administrator at the Jackson County school district in southern Oregon, where a committee is looking at arming school staff members next year, said costs would be a factor in the decision. With 10 buildings, the expense of arming and training more than one staff member at each school would easily exceed $50,000 a year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, that republican plan to arm teachers is getting a little resistance... from insurance companies

Well, insurance companies can't be totally wrong and evil all the time. If arming teachers in a school isn't risky behavior then nothing is. They're totally in the right here. It's a dumb idea and I'm glad people can realize this.

That said, I still don't like how insurance works in most cases. Especially health insurance.

User 406

Banned
The problem with health insurance has nothing to do with how well they apply actuarial science. Insurance companies are extremely good at that, and refusing to insure schools that arm their teachers with guns is as natural a risk assessment as refusing to insure a stage three cancer patient. We just shouldn't let that be the determining factor for whether that patient gets treated. And sadly, we shouldn't have let things get to the point where the lack of insurance coverage is the only thing keeping more guns out of schools.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The problem with health insurance has nothing to do with how well they apply actuarial science. Insurance companies are extremely good at that, and refusing to insure schools that arm their teachers with guns is as natural a risk assessment as refusing to insure a stage three cancer patient. We just shouldn't let that be the determining factor for whether that patient gets treated. And sadly, we shouldn't have let things get to the point where the lack of insurance coverage is the only thing keeping more guns out of schools.

Yeah, I was typing up a slightly longer post that's basically this. The actual mechanisms of insurance can be very very good. Its just that there are specific areas of life that absolutly should not be on an insurance based system.

"Why do all these goddamn neo-confederates keep showing up at my States' Rights rallies?!"
It's truly a mystery.

And, like I mentioned briefly on the previous page, his school voucher thing was crazy bungled. It used blatantly unconstitutional funding sources, which got struck down by a (conservative) judge, and had to scramble for money elsewhere leaving current voucher students in a lurch and keeping a Jindal failure in the headlines as people were beginning to sour both on Jindal himself and the voucher agenda, which was rammed through the legislature quickly and only later started getting shat on by the press and the public. If he'd slipped it through constitutionally, he wouldn't have taken such a big hit from being associated with it during the year of negative coverage it wound up generating.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You mean the holiday that we now celebrate from before Halloween til after the New Year?

The very same!

By the way, completely random question, but are there any liberal conventions that exist? Aside from Netroots Nation, of course.

Kinvara

She does. It's some stupid screed on the War on Christmas.

Just looked it up.

The planned title is A Happy Holiday IS a Merry Christmas

"This will be a fun, festive, thought-provoking book, which will encourage all to see what is possible when we unite in defense of our faith and ignore the politically correct Scrooges who would rather take Christ out of Christmas" - Sarah Palin

funfunfun

Sarah Palin saying she might run for Senate.

She must have a new book coming out next year.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/02/begich-leads-likely-challengers-for-reelection.html
In hypothetical head to heads Begich leads Anchorage Mayor Dan Sullivan 47/41, Lieutenant Governor Mead Treadwell 47/39, former Lieutenant Governor Loren Leman 50/40, former Governor Sarah Palin 54/38, and 2010 nominee Joe Miller 58/30. Palin's numbers are a reflection of her continuing to be very unpopular on the home front- 34% of voters see her positively to 59% with a negative opinion. She looks popular by comparison to Miller though- he has only a 20% favorability rating with 63% of voters giving him poor marks.

Being a senator is a job, which means Palin will never be a senator. She's set for life, giving speeches and trolling both parties on Fox News.

Being a senator is a job, which means Palin will never be a senator. She's set for life, giving speeches and trolling both parties on Fox News.

I don't think she's trolling, since she believes the dumb shit she says. People goad her into saying more of it so they can mooch off the money that rolls in, but she seems pretty serious.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sarah Palin went full retard a long time ago. She's not coming close to sniffing the Senate.

She went full retard like a week after McCain revealed her to the world. There was maybe a whole 20 minutes people took her seriously.

Aaron

I don't think she's trolling, since she believes the dumb shit she says. People goad her into saying more of it so they can mooch off the money that rolls in, but she seems pretty serious.
No, she doesn't. Palin always plays to the crowd when she speaks. Remember the big gulp stunt? It's clear she'll say she'll believe anything for a buck. She's as opportunist as she can get, and doesn't seem to give a shit about anything she says.

No, she doesn't. Palin always plays to the crowd when she speaks. Remember the big gulp stunt? It's clear she'll say she'll believe anything for a buck. She's as opportunist as she can get, and doesn't seem to give a shit about anything she says.

There were a lot of other dumb Republicans doing the same shit, I'm gonna need more before I replace my null hypothesis that she's sincere in her stupidity!

Btw, why was Spec banned?

I figured it was some gaming-related post, but looks like he went on a rant about wanting female convicts to be forcibly sterilized.

Great article. This illustrates is better. The GOP is too focused on aggregate numbers rather than actually figuring out what the numbers mean.

And it's more specific than they realize;mostly southern white voters.

The fight for "missing white voters" is so misguided.

Why do these articles never speak about racist voters? I'm sure there are plenty of white voters who would vote for a Democrat, but just didn't want to vote for a black guy. West Virginia Democrats seemed pretty high on Clinton in 2004, but would rather vote for an out-of-state incarcerated felon over Obama. Maybe the Hilary fervor was just anti-Obama sentiment.

First off, it's not race.

I can't believe that racists who wouldn't vote for a black guy will suddenly be cool with someone named "Piyush."

Why do these articles never speak about racist voters? I'm sure there are plenty of white voters who would vote for a Democrat, but just didn't want to vote for a black guy. West Virginia Democrats seemed pretty high on Clinton in 2004, but would rather vote for an out-of-state incarcerated felon over Obama. Maybe the Hilary fervor was just anti-Obama sentiment.

I agree with you, but I think they are having a hard time isolating that. It also makes sense that the gains in white vote have been in the South where, let's face it, they're more inclined to be racist.

I think Hillary would do quite well with whites in 2016 if the economy is humming.

Aaron

I agree with you, but I think they are having a hard time isolating that. It also makes sense that the gains in white vote have been in the South where, let's face it, they're more inclined to be racist.

I think Hillary would do quite well with whites in 2016 if the economy is humming.
I wonder how Rubio plays under those circumstances. Republicans might be forced to primary a white guy to keep from losing the coveted racist vote. It's one of the few they have left.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Pro-Clinton Super PAC hires Obama 2012 field organizers.
The PAC announced it has hired 270 Strategies to build a field operation to marshal voter support for a potential 2016 Clinton campaign. The firm's partners include Jeremy Bird, Obama's 2012 national field director, and Mitch Stewart, who oversaw the campaign's operations in battleground states.

"There is no one that better understands grassroots presidential politics than the team that won the last two presidential elections," Craig Smith, a senior advisor to the super PAC, said in a statement. He said the firm will help mobilize the "hundreds of thousands of Americans" who are urging Clinton to run.
Hilary with Obama's ground game will be unbeatable.

Pro-Clinton Super PAC hires Obama 2012 field organizers.

Hilary with Obama's ground game will be unbeatable.

Obama's doing his best to fuck everything up for democrats, but hopefully an improved economy+far right republican candidate makes 2016 a lock for Hillary.

Second term has been a disaster. Saw a bit of his latest flailing attempt to "do something," ie the streamlining government thing (which he has discussed in SOTUs before).

Obama's doing his best to fuck everything up for democrats, but hopefully an improved economy+far right republican candidate makes 2016 a lock for Hillary.

Second term has been a disaster. Saw a bit of his latest flailing attempt to "do something," ie the streamlining government thing (which he has discussed in SOTUs before).

6 months into the 2nd presidency and Obama is failing, eh?

If anything, the House GOP is failing and making a Democrat victory much more likely.

But I like your record on predictions so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom