• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

When conservatives say that universal health care will cause all the doctors to flee the country, my question always: flee to where? Europe? Japan? Australia?

What country doesn't have socialized medicine? Where will they be able to price gouge people? Dubai? San Troupes? Um.................... Yeah. Good luck to them.

RDreamer

Where does this notion that people in Europe and Canada hate their health care? I've never once heard it and there is no political movement calling for doing anything but expanding it. I was just listening to Hannity and heard this stated as fact because a few people come down for specialty services. Do they think this would end with single payer? Do specialty doctors not exist for the elderly since they are all covered by social security and Medicare?

It's baffling

What's more baffling to me is all of them seem to somehow know some dude from Europe or Canada that hates it. I'm not sure I've even seen a single person from there that hates it on the fucking internet. How are these people meeting them in real life?

What's more baffling to me is all of them seem to somehow know some dude from Europe or Canada that hates it. I'm not sure I've even seen a single person from there that hates it on the fucking internet. How are these people meeting them in real life?

I studied abroad in Europe. Met zero.

You think the jetsetting 1% don't know any Europeans?

zero_suit

When conservatives say that universal health care will cause all the doctors to flee the country, my question always: flee to where? Europe? Japan? Australia?

They say the same thing when they think income taxes will get raised...

"The rich will flee the country!"

Yes, but I think it is limited still, not as broad as the open market will be.
The PCIP pools are closed to new applications because they ran out of money. Some congresscritters tried to give them more money, but, well.

On February 16, 2013, the federally-run Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) suspended acceptance of new enrollment applications until further notice. The suspension also became effective in the state-based PCIPs on March 2. This will help ensure that funds are available through 2013 to continuously cover people currently enrolled in PCIP. PCIP will continue providing coverage to more than 100,000 people currently enrolled nationwide.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I remember saying the same thing to my father-in-law when he insisted businesses would leave the country if corporate taxes were raised. He had no response after that.

zargle

I know one. A family we know lived in England for about 5 years and they blame their medical care and system for screwing up their daughter's knee. Cannot remember the exact situation as this was a while ago, but in their case there was some poor care. But that could also just be due to doctor error and not due to the system.

FyreWulff

Well, huh. I didn't know this, but apparently Republicans here in NC eliminated the annual no-sales-tax weekend in their budget. So this weekend will be the last sales-tax free weekend.

Lame.

Which reminds me, Iowa is having theirs this weekend.

Time to cross the bridge and buy some clothes (it applies specifically to clothes, I believe)

edit: yep

Mike Reynolds, a Republican Oklahoma state rep, launched this website... against the uber-conservative Speaker of the House, T.W. Shannon. Apparently Shannon just isn't crazy enough.

http://www.shannonforcongress.com/shannonforcongress/menu.asp

Some cutting-edge web design going on here.

How did I fucking know this was going to be centered Arial text with red text sprinkled throughout?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Can someone explain to me the right-wing meme about congress exempting itself from Obamacare cause it's so horrible? I thought congress already gets health care, run by a system that's (ironically) pretty similar to Obamacare (the FEBP).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can someone explain to me the right-wing meme about congress exempting itself from Obamacare cause it's so horrible? I thought congress already gets health care, run by a system that's (ironically) pretty similar to Obamacare (the FEBP).

I think the idea is that they are not going to be buying on the exchanges or receiving Medicaid/Medicare, instead they have a special coverage program, as they have always had.

I have heard a lot of arguments that the government should not provide any special programs for any employees. As in one plan for all employees, whether janitor or senator. And another argument that all federal employees should buy on the exchanges, including the president and senators, to make sure these are well done because they have a stake in the process. And some argue all soldiers and veterans should fall in this category as well to make sure the VA is appropriately run and not abused.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mike Reynolds, a Republican Oklahoma state rep, launched this website... against the uber-conservative Speaker of the House, T.W. Shannon. Apparently Shannon just isn't crazy enough.

http://www.shannonforcongress.com/shannonforcongress/menu.asp

Some cutting-edge web design going on here.

Went to law school(did not pass or stand for the bar exam).

Sixth generation Oklahoman? Few people know where there grandparents lived, much less their great,great,great grandparents.
Huh...I wonder what school this guy went to then

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think the idea is that they are not going to be buying on the exchanges or receiving Medicaid/Medicare, instead they have a special coverage program, as they have always had.

I have heard a lot of arguments that the government should not provide any special programs for any employees. As in one plan for all employees, whether janitor or senator. And another argument that all federal employees should buy on the exchanges, including the president and senators, to make sure these are well done because they have a stake in the process. And some argue all soldiers and veterans should fall in this category as well to make sure the VA is appropriately run and not abused.

Right that's what I thought. But what I'm wondering is, that being the case, why need an exemption at all? Obamacare only mandates people to have insurance. Where you get that insurance should not be relevant.

Grassly put in an amendment saying congress has to by from the exchanges but their employer is the federal government and there is no separate funding mechanism for them to carry over their employer contribution (the government paying part of their bill) . Which is 75%. The exemption would be to maintain the status quo. It's not treating them special it's saying that Congress shouldn't be treated special because their employer is the government. There was a possibility that Congressional staffers would be the only employees that couldn't have their employer pay their share even if they wanted to.

The law says they are going to buy on the exchanges. That's not changed. They already do buy on the federal government exchange now it will just be on the DC exchange or state exchange.

The problem was the law was ambiguous about whether the Office of Personal Management could keep paying their contribution. They just said recently they will.

Report: Obama Approached Geithner To Be Fed Chairman

President Barack Obama approached former Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve, according to a report Thursday in The New York Times.

Geithner was the early favorite to succeed current Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, insiders told the Times, but he declined when the White House asked if he would be interested in the job.

Obama is said to be considering three candidates for the job: Janet L. Yellen, the vice chairwoman at the Federal Reserve, former Fed vice chairman Donald L. Kohn and Obama's former economic adviser Larry Summers.

Many Democrats have mounted opposition to a nomination of Summers. In a closed-door meeting with Hill Democrats earlier this week, Obama reportedly gave a "full-throated defense" of Summers. Some Senate Democrats sent a letter last week to Obama urging him to tap Yellen for the post.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.c...pproached-geithner-to-be-fed-chairman?ref=fpb

jesus fucking christ

2ec520676c53b91a11177e6f49cf3cd3.gif

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I went to Mongolian BBQ with my girlfriend tonight and for some reason they always have Fox News playing on their tvs. Tonight Hannity has a program called 'The Truth About Obamacare'. So many lies and so many scared old white people in the audience. I wanted to yell at the tv.

Student loan defenders are the worst people on earth.

But "they didn't chose to take out that loan! Its there fault!"

"I took out a loan when I was 19. I was an adult then and I'm an adult now, I must live with my consequences."

"College doesn't guarantee success. Its his fault for taking that much money out!"

Now I know how some Russians were prior to the fall of the Soviet Union. "Its your fault for not contributing enough to the motherland that you are hungry!"

RDreamer

You think the jetsetting 1% don't know any Europeans?

It's not the 1% I'm talking about. I don't even know the 1%. My mom thinks she knows someone that comes into her shop. She's definitely not 1%

I also had an argument with a college friend at one point who insisted Canadian healthcare killed her grandma.

Gallbaro

Banned
Are you relatively well off?
Bootstraps, had a kid when I was 17, working since 13. All in the bootstraps.

I will continue to have my company pay for my health insurance and drop from covering 50% of the cost for my 20 employees and drop it to 35%. Since the rate increase was for all my employees as I am on the same plan as them.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Good for you. After all, in America it's not illegal to be a huge asshole. And by God this is still America.

Karakand

Student loan defenders are the worst people on earth.

But "they didn't chose to take out that loan! Its there fault!"

"I took out a loan when I was 19. I was an adult then and I'm an adult now, I must live with my consequences."

"College doesn't guarantee success. Its his fault for taking that much money out!"

It's Foucauldian caricature, really.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Grassly put in an amendment saying congress has to by from the exchanges but their employer is the federal government and there is no separate funding mechanism for them to carry over their employer contribution (the government paying part of their bill) . Which is 75%. The exemption would be to maintain the status quo. It's not treating them special it's saying that Congress shouldn't be treated special because their employer is the government. There was a possibility that Congressional staffers would be the only employees that couldn't have their employer pay their share even if they wanted to.
The law says they are going to buy on the exchanges. That's not changed. They already do buy on the federal government exchange now it will just be on the DC exchange or state exchange.

The problem was the law was ambiguous about whether the Office of Personal Management could keep paying their contribution. They just said recently they will.
Ahh, thanks for the details.

Bootstraps, had a kid when I was 17, working since 13. All in the bootstraps.

I will continue to have my company pay for my health insurance and drop from covering 50% of the cost for my 20 employees and drop it to 35%. Since the rate increase was for all my employees as I am on the same plan as them.

Congrats on doing well.

While I don't really support your response I'm fighting for dropping your contribution to your employees to 0%. Health Care shouldn't be contingent on employment.

GhaleonEB

Give me OWS girl over Barney Frank any day.

What in that article did you find objectionable? That he got a lot of donations from the financial industry? How he returned contributions? I have a number of critiques of Frank, though on balance I agreed with him far more often than not. And he was wonderful in the forceful and often playful ways he demolished absurd GOP policy positions. I think the House is worse off without him in it.

KtSlime

Congrats on doing well.

While I don't really support your response I'm fighting for dropping your contribution to your employees to 0%. Health Care shouldn't be contingent on employment.

This. All employers should consider ACA to be a godsend. It helps you lock up your employment and entrench social immobility.

Healthcare should be 100% outside of any sort of employment, people should not be made to fear that some calamitous health concern may arise while they are already trying to make decisions to better their station by seeking a different career path, starting up a new venture, becoming self-employed, going to improve their education (cultural capital), etc.

It's terrorism, making hostages out of your employees, and held together by social programming akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

What in that article did you find objectionable? That he got a lot of donations from the financial industry?

The purpose of the link was simply to demonstrate from where his support came. In general, I will back any sensible progressive critic over any elected (and hence necessarily compromised) politician.

GhaleonEB

The purpose of the link was simply to demonstrate from where his support came. In general, I will back any sensible progressive critic over any elected (and hence necessarily compromised) politician.

I understand the principle, it just seems like an odd response to the post. Rather than address any merits from the video, you posted a link that says just under nine percent of Frank's last campaign was funded by investment companies. That adds some context for your dislike of Frank, but nothing to the content of the video and how the debate played out.

(I should note I can't get the linked video to play, so I don't have the full context. I'll try to fix that later today.)

I understand the principle, it just seems like an odd response to the post. Rather than address any merits from the video, you posted a link that says just under nine percent of Frank's last campaign was funded by investment companies. That adds some context for your dislike of Frank, but nothing to the content of the video and how the debate played out.

(I should note I can't get the linked video to play, so I don't have the full context. I'll try to fix that later today.)

I'm assuming zero shift is referring to Barney's criticism of grassroots political organizing. Barney is absolutely wrong about it, and it's one of my pet peeves about him. He either doesn't care about, or doesn't understand, the mechanisms by which political change occurs. People do not magically show up at polls informed. They have to be politically engaged first, and that requires organizing, creating a sense of solidarity, and all those marches and other activities that Frank hates. Such activity not only creates voters directly, it also changes media narratives and creates frames which influence the way even the politically apathetic vote. The perception of an outraged public created by organized political activity outside the electoral system also puts direct pressure on lawmakers (this is its most effective mechanism for change--creating a perception of a unified public, even if the reality is a vocal minority; the tea party, although not strictly grassroots, accomplished this, and that's why everybody started talking about the deficit).

Frank's attempt to distinguish the civil rights movement on the ground that blacks could not vote is totally specious. Frank himself has previously admitted the efficacy of such activities when he said that had the energy generated by OWS occurred earlier, Dodd-Frank would have been stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom