• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

If those who worked at the company owned it, this scenario would be ideal. Companies only require profit if they have absent owners. Wages are the reward for labor.

In a sense, but "wages" would go way up if a company ran this way. It spreads the wealth much more evenly, and all else equal that's great, but it isn't hugely more efficient in terms of how much other people end up paying for the stuff the company makes.

1234987_641571305864738_1761543222_n.jpg

*sigh*

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamned Republicans:

Representative T. J. Berry, the Republican sponsor of the tax-cut bill, conceded that there were some unintended consequences of the bill that Mr. Nixon had pointed out - the elimination, for instance, of an exemption on prescription drugs that could have caused people to pay more. Mr. Berry said he expected the legislature to fix those technicalities when it reconvened next year. "We're like the old Greek demigod who pushed the rock up the hill, just to watch the rock fall back down," Mr. Berry said after Wednesday's vote.

It's bad enough when they mangle American history, but now they've decided to extend that to mangling Greek Mythology as well?!

This will not stand.

Where is Diablos?

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett may be the 10th Republican governor to back a Medicaid expansion in his state under President Barack Obama's health care reform law, according to reports.

Corbett declared in February that Pennsylvania wouldn't open Medicaid to more poor people under the law, but he will reverse that position and support a version of the expansion, Lancaster Online reported Thursday, citing anonymous sources. Corbett will make a Medicaid announcement soon, two Corbett aides confirmed to PoliticsPA.

A Medicaid expansion would provide health coverage to 682,000 people in Pennsylvania, according to the Lancaster Online report. Not counting Pennsylvania, 24 states and the District of Columbia plan to broaden Medicaid under Obamacare starting next year.

By supporting the Medicaid expansion, Corbett would join fellow Republican governors, including neighbors Chris Christie in New Jersey and John Kasich in Ohio, in bucking GOP resistance to the health care reform law. Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad (R) also initially opposed the Medicaid expansion before changing course.

Although a handful of Republican governors have backed the Medicaid expansion, most Republicans refuse to enlarge the program in their states. Kasich and Gov. Rick Scott of Florida haven't been able to move Medicaid expansion bills through their Republican-majority legislatures, as Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer and Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder have.

The Pennsylvania Senate approved legislation in June that would have expanded Medicaid but the state House stripped it from the bill the following month.

Corbett has been eyeing a form of Medicaid expansion that would restructure the program in his state. He favors reforms such as enrolling Medicaid beneficiaries into private health insurance plans, similar to legislation enacted in Arkansas, Iowa and Michigan this year, and wants to add requirements such as new co-payments for medical treatments, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"Corbett will not expand this broken entitlement program without significant reforms being agreed to by the Federal Government and assurances that a plan would be fiscally sustainable now and moving forward," Corbett's campaign manager, Mike Barley, told PoliticsPA.

Kelli Roberts, a spokeswoman for Corbett, didn't immediately respond to an email from the Huffington Post seeking comment.

Obama's health care law calls for opening Medicaid to anyone who earns up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level, which is $15,282 for a single person in 2013. When the Supreme Court upheld the law last year, however, justices ruled that states could opt out of the expansion, which about half now plan to do. There is no deadline and states can enact the Medicaid expansion at any time.

The federal government will pay the full costs of people newly enrolled under the Medicaid expansion from 2014 to 2016, after which the share gradually diminishes to 90 percent in 2022 and future years.

Interesting development. Seems the GOP governors in blue states are finding the non-expansion position bad politically. Even if they can't get their legislature to do it, they're going on record for it.

gcubed

Where is Diablos?

Interesting development. Seems the GOP governors in blue states are finding the non-expansion position bad politically. Even if they can't get their legislature to do it, they're going on record for it.

He's flailing about trying to find ANYTHING to move him out of worst governor status. He'll be the first PA governor in a LONG time who doesn't get a second term. He's been absolutely terrible and no one likes him.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Goddamned Republicans:

It's bad enough when they mangle American history, but now they've decided to extend that to mangling Greek Mythology as well?!

This will not stand.

Not to mention it seems he is referencing that story frame Republicans as being perseverant in the face of tough odds or something, when the story is actually about never ending punishment through blind futility and pointless activity for crimes of over the top hubris and trickery.

wikipedia said:
As a punishment for his trickery, King Sisyphus was made to roll a huge boulder up a steep hill. Before he could reach the top, however, the massive stone would always roll back down, forcing him to begin again. The maddening nature of the punishment was reserved for King Sisyphus due to his hubristic belief that his cleverness surpassed that of Zeus himself. Zeus accordingly displayed his own cleverness by enchanting the boulder into rolling away from King Sisyphus before he reached the top which ended up consigning Sisyphus to an eternity of useless efforts and unending frustration. Thus it came to pass that pointless or interminable activities are sometimes described as Sisyphean. King Sisyphus was a common subject for ancient writers and was depicted by the painter Polygnotus on the walls of the Lesche at Delphi.

Humourously on point with the reference, but not how he wanted it to be.

Let's reword the question to "Do you oppose raising the debt ceiling, which if it isn't raised would be catastrophic to both the US and world economy and send us all into a massive depression and UE rates not seen since The Great Depression"

Too leading?

I like this better:

"Obama voted against raising the debt ceiling in 2006, saying it showed a failure in leadership. Do you oppose raising the debt ceiling in 2013?"

It's perfect.

Republicans are forced to either rethink the position or vote for something Obama once voted for.

Democrats are forced to realize that this is all political posturing and that both sides do it to score points with their base.

Progress!

Karakand

Not to mention it seems he is referencing that story frame Republicans as being perseverant in the face of tough odds or something, when the story is actually about never ending punishment through blind futility and pointless activity for crimes of over the top hubris and trickery.

maybe he's a camus fan

timetokill - lol

Meanwhile, Obama is Sending His FEC Thugs To Bully Boehner

The Federal Election Commission is examining whether dozens of political action committees and individuals contributed more than the legally allowed amount to House Speaker John Boehner during last year's election cycle.

Letters the Federal Election Committee sent Monday to Friends of John Boehner indicated that donors including coal, energy, and gambling interests, exceeded contribution limits to Boehner's committee by more than $150,000.

Among the groups that were allegedly overgenerous to Boehner were Coalpac and Minepac, which represent the mining industry, as well as political committees representing the Exelon, Constellation and Luminant power companies, and the Ceasars and Penn National gambling enterprises.

"Although the commission may take further legal action concerning the acceptance of excessive contributions, your prompt action to refund the excessive amount will be taken into consideration," the letters say.

Friends of John Boehner is one of several political organizations that Boehner uses to raise money for GOP candidates and solidify his party's control over the U.S. House of Representatives. Records compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics list him as the top fundraiser in the House of Representatives during the 2012 election cycle, raising more than $22 million.

Boehner spokesman Cory Fritz said large committees like Boehner's that process quarterly contributions from "thousands of grassroots supporters each quarter routinely handle these questions."

"We take compliance with FEC rules and regulations seriously, and will take all corrective action necessary," said Fritz.

Wilsongt

"This shows a persistent incompetence on the part of the Obama administration to guarantee the safety of our embassies and our allies who work with us there."

Or something. /froth

Perhaps I should rephrase it:

No Americans died. The RIGHT won't care.

But if even a single hair on an American's head was out of place, they'd be all over that like flies on shit.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round...

House Republican leadership is furious with ultraconservative Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) whom they see as hobbling their efforts to secure an achievable spending victory by insisting on threatening a government shutdown over the unachievable goal of defunding Obamacare.
House GOP leaders want to pass a continuing resolution that jams Senate Democrats with lower spending levels while forcing a vote — without the risk of a shutdown — on Obamacare. But Lee and Cruz are giving them heartburn by screaming that this proposal amounts to surrender on Obamacare.

“If House Republicans go along with this strategy, they will be complicit in the disaster that is Obamacare,” said Cruz, dismissing the plan as “procedural chicanery.” Lee spoke out against it earlier this week, and is now supporting an alternate GOP measure backed by 43 Republicans which threatens a shutdown over Obamacare.

The two senators have significant influence among conservative House Republicans and activists who want to destroy Obamacare at all costs. So their opposition to Speaker John Boehner’s (R-OH) plan quickly contributed to the headache for House leaders, who were foced to postpone consideration of the bill until next week. It remains unclear if they’ll be able to get the votes.

House Republican leaders are tired of being painted as weak on Obamacare while Cruz and Lee are seen as grassroots heroes without having to take risks or make unpopular moves. The Boehner stopgap bill would let these senators filibuster if Democrats try to fund Obamacare, House aides point out, if they have the courage to.

“Ted Cruz and Mike Lee have been demanding a fight to defund Obamacare. The House offers to give them one and they say, no, no, you guys fight it,” said a House GOP aide, venting about colleagues on condition of anonymity. “We have been. For three years.”

A House Republican aide put it more bluntly to Politico: “They’re screwing us.”

Senate Democrats have explicitly vowed to reject a continuing resolution that messes with Obamacare. But they haven’t drawn any red lines on how much to spend, conscious that they may have to temporarily continue sequestration levels if Republicans pass such a bill in the House. That’s a big if, thanks in part to Cruz and Lee.

House Republicans could be on the cusp of a major victory on spending cuts, and Democrats privately admit they’ll have to swallow sequestration levels — albeit temporarily — in order to avert a government shutdown. The GOP fear is if Cruz and Lee get their way, and the House passes a stopgap measure that demands Obamacare be defunded, Senate Democrats will have political cover not only to restore the health care law’s funding but also to raise the overall spending level before tossing it back into the House’s lap. In that scenario, Republican leaders may have little choice but to accept a higher spending level or shut down the government.

That would be a huge blow to the GOP: a spending loss, an Obamacare loss and more woes for the party’s brand — all thanks to conservative senators who want to make a point.Government funding expires when the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30.

I'd actually be okay with a temporary government shutdown. It would make the House GOP look like children and Obama's approval ratings/Democrats' generic ballot position would benefit.

Debt default isn't anything to fuck with though

I'd actually be okay with a temporary government shutdown. It would make the House GOP look like children and Obama's approval ratings/Democrats' generic ballot position would benefit.

Debt default isn't anything to fuck with though

In theory sounds great...that is until you realize there about X million Gov workers from GS 1s to GS 15s who actually rely on that Gov as their employer to live their lives accordingly. While I'm appalled at the way our Gov currently operates/behaves, there would be far more REAL pain and suffering than some random D or R dropping X% points in some poll...

In reality, a Gov shutdown would be terrible, all political reasons aside.

In theory sounds great...that is until you realize there about X million Gov workers from GS 1s to GS 15s who actually rely on that Gov as their employer to live their lives accordingly. While I'm appalled at the way our Gov currently operates/behaves, there would be far more REAL pain and suffering than some random D or R dropping X% points in some poll...

Base near Memphis just had a 55% head count reduction for all contractors. My wife survived, but her contract went from a 4-5 year renewal to a month to month starting in October. I worry what a shutdown would mean for us.

I feel like taking a hit for once will benefit if it means Democrats win the House and we don't have to deal with this brinkmanship bullshit every other month.

I am, of course, looking at this through a strictly political lens.

In other news, short of cloning Joe Manchin, Democrats have snagged their best possible candidate for the West Virginia Senate seat:

SOS Natalie Tennant finalizing plans for announcement next week that she's running for U.S. Senate.

The last poll of West Virginia had Tennant trailing Shelly Moore-Capito by only 5 points (40-45). It would still be a toss-up, but that's better than a seat that almost every pundit has already written off.

Now if Brian Schweitzer would just change his mind in Montana, we'd be set.

FLEABttn

Banned
My wife survived, but her contract went from a 4-5 year renewal to a month to month starting in October.

I like how out of uncertainty for the budget created by people trying to cut government spending, they've increased the expense of the program, assuming it doesn't get cancelled.

I feel like taking a hit for once will benefit if it means Democrats win the House and we don't have to deal with this brinkmanship bullshit every other month.

I am, of course, looking at this through a strictly political lens.

In other news, short of cloning Joe Manchin, Democrats have snagged their best possible candidate for the West Virginia Senate seat:

The last poll of West Virginia had Tennant trailing Shelly Moore-Capito by only 5 points (40-45). It would still be a toss-up, but that's better than a seat that almost every pundit has already written off.

Now if Brian Schweitzer would just change his mind in Montana, we'd be set.

Gosh I'm feeling all PoliGAF warm and fuzzy...two posts in one day is a record for me.

I went to High School with Natalie (she was our school mascot -- a Husky) and she was the first female Mountaineer mascot @ WVU during our time there as well. She is in fact the Dem's best shot at keeping Rockefeller's seat. The fact that I actually have to type that makes my blood slightly boil though.

Just so we're clear...a Joe Manchin clone would essentially be 20% D, 80% R as the current Joe is...In order for Joe to keep his seat, he has to take this position where he "stands up to Obama" so the local folk don't run him out. What this means is the really popular D legislation (with the exception of ACA) he votes against. I held my nose the last time I voted for him, but next time I'm voting Independent, regardless if its a throw-away vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom