• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonercop

i wouldn't celebrate too hard yet, until we're sure that some other geitner-esque neoliberal won't be picking up the mantle instead.

But it's definitely a positive sign at least. If nothing else, it shows democrats can still be pressured by their base.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Obama's being saved from himself a lot.

#weakness

I don't understand it either, I think its part of the macho narrative that drives foreign affairs. Changing your mind or changing course when events change is weakness and being stubborn is strength even when you invade the wrong country.

Because apparently Obama REALLY wants to invade Syria and depose Assad, and this is just letting Russia win.

It's really weird logic that always involves Obama losing no matter the outcome.

Yeah, I mean like with most things, it might as well have been a rhetorical question, but I was curious to see the "thought" process behind it.

i wouldn't celebrate too hard yet, until we're sure that some other geitner-esque neoliberal won't be picking up the mantle instead.

But it's definitely a positive sign at least. If nothing else, it shows democrats can still be pressured by their base.

Heh, watch his replacement be Rob Rubin.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've just never seen blatant advertising against other states.

There wasn't any until Perry started doing it. He's a real piece of work.

Football is dumb, ergo, people do stupid stuff in the advertisements.

B3WOIZ7.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a second! Hold on! People in here were telling me that the worst always happens and Summers would most definitely be Fed chair!

What is this?

I was the only one, and I'm sorry I was wrong. I was in a depressed/frustrated state in politics at that time. But at least I wrote a post about how good this week has been minutes before this came out.

Anyhow I guess it's time for me to look into what's Yellen actually all about. I found this article to be pretty detailed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323446404579006602798845682.html

Seems like she did predict the housing bubble, possibly still didn't do everything she could to help regulate it, but now has a greater resolve toward regulation thanks to how that ended up turning out, primarily through stricter capital requirements. She was also apparently heavily involved with Bernanke's quantitative easing strategy and thus will probably continue that, probably including his plans to end it about the time unemployment hits 6.5%.

Overall there's not really much to object to. I kind of wonder what her interactions with Elizabeth Warren would be like.

Videoneon

Good news on Janet Yellen's all but assured nomination.

So I'm watching the Giants/Broncos game and Rick Perry comes on with an add telling businesses to move from overtaxed Maryland to Texas... WTF

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=26&t=10

That's recent. I would say a month or so? I remember hearing about it but have yet to actually watch one. No TV really except for the vidya games. Irritates the shit out of me that it's airing during NFL games, which is a prime target for comparing which states are better for some of the audience. Then again, Giants are New York and Broncos are Colorado, so....whatever

This reminds me, the gym I go to every so often has six TV's set up in front of the cardio machines (there are a couple dozen of the machines, they're all spread out) and FOX news is on one of them virtually every time. The commercials are funny, like invest in silver, invest in etc. etc. I don't even see things that are "benign" like ads for ice cream.

Also, I heard Flacco missed the birth of his child for one of his games. I wouldn't show up to the game! Probably could retire at this point.

Also I'll be stealing your link, so thanks!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Football is dumb, ergo, people do stupid stuff in the advertisements.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's recent. I would say a month or so? I remember hearing about it but have yet to actually watch one. No TV really except for the vidya games. Irritates the shit out of me that it's airing during NFL games, which is a prime target for comparing which states are better for some of the audience. Then again, Giants are New York and Broncos are Colorado, so....whatever

There was one of those ads in Colorado too, which I find extra funny considering how many people move here from Texas.

This reminds me, the gym I go to every so often has six TV's set up in front of the cardio machines (there are a couple dozen of the machines, they're all spread out) and FOX news is on one of them virtually every time. The commercials are funny, like invest in silver, invest in etc. etc. I don't even see things that are "benign" like ads for ice cream.

That's the thing about having a viewership with a median age over 65 years old. Medical ads and get rich quick schemes is about all those type of people will shell out the money for.

These kind of articles frustrate me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=&Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

It speaks to many states aging populations, but all solutions to the tax shortfall are about taxing the youth more and/or cutting their benefits. Nobody brings up the obvious source of money that doesn't hurt the disadvantage, the rich and boomers. Its frustrated as the entire political system sees you as the solution to fund their retirement but LOL to thinking about having one for yourself.

Raising the retirement age hasn’t proved to be a politically popular solution, especially in states controlled by Democrats. But if the Census estimates are correct, both state and federal governments are going to be on the hook for billions more in elder care, and the infrastructure needed to provide that care. Paradoxically, whether it’s cutting taxes to provide jobs for recent graduates, or cutting tuition to make sure those graduates attend in-state colleges, the answer to funding the elderly probably lies in the young.

These kind of articles frustrate me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=&Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

It speaks to many states aging populations, but all solutions to tax shortfall are about taxing the youth more and cutting their benefits nobody brings up the obvious source of money that doesn't hurt the disadvantage, the rich and boomers.

Taxes are terrible ways to fund social programs that are not local government specific. I mean stuff like medicare and social security.

Videoneon

There was one of those ads in Colorado too, which I find extra funny considering how many people move here from Texas.

That's the thing about having a viewership with a median age over 65 years old. Medical ads and get rich quick schemes is about all those type of people will shell out the money for.

:lol at the bottom, but coincidentally my father used to live in Colorado (Manitou Springs) and because he got laid off + the difficulty of finding a job nearby at the time, he moved to Texas, where he has other relatives. It caused him pain as someone who loves where he lived (good skiing spots apparently?) and loves the Broncos. I used to watch NFL and had a college roommate who was into college football but I'm not super invested in football otherwise. At least now he should be happy about the Broncos, who lit the Ravens the fuck up on Week 1. The magic of Peyton Manning, plus the Ravens being "eh..." I guess

True, but I'd be for higher taxes for better infrastructure anyway.
It's tough to say, with the stagnant wage deal. Not many states are pushing for higher minimum wage and more federal funding.

I guess I'm frustrated the entire system post Reagan revolution is taken as a given. We need more rethinks on the model of original progressive movement/new frontier/great society

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Can anyone point me to decent US Politics podcasts? I'm making my way through Google results like NPR but it seems their flagship ended in July (but that is the sort of thing I'm looking for).

The Young Turks
Sam Sedar
Thom Hartmann

Samk

Can anyone point me to decent US Politics podcasts? I'm making my way through Google results like NPR but it seems their flagship ended in July (but that is the sort of thing I'm looking for).

Slate Political Gabfest. Just insider enough to feel the excesses of Washington from wherever you are! And the staff is cool

Isn't there a gaf politics podcast?

Larry Summers being blown up by liberals and the apparent avoidance of attacking Syria are pretty much the only good things to happen this year for the administration. What a wasted year, and honestly it was pretty predictable. Shouldn't have touched guns, and after what happened in Colorado it won't happen again.

Larry Summers being blown up by liberals and the apparent avoidance of attacking Syria are pretty much the only good things to happen this year for the administration. What a wasted year, and honestly it was pretty predictable. Shouldn't have touched guns, and after what happened in Colorado it won't happen again.

Considering how hostile Congress is, it'd say that's a success.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

They basically won the Bush Tax Cut expiration battle on January 2nd which counts as this year. So there's that at least.

It's funny that we have to actually thank the teabaggers for being so insane. I mean, that's the only reason why SS and medicare (ironically) won't be privatized.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the tea party is the best thing to happen to the Democratic Party in a long time.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the tea party is the best thing to happen to the Democratic Party in a long time.

Except for when they won like crazy in 2010 which happened to be a census year and thus opening up the republicans to gerrymander their way into a house of representatives that will stay republican no matter what at least until 2016 and very possibly through 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom