• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooney

Both of those people can't work nationally though. The north eastern arrogant attitude is HATED outside of the north and by people who agree with them politically.

Spitzer should stay in law and out of politics though. he's antagonistic to way too many people for nothing but his ego.

They can still be congressmen, senators, and governors. Time for democrats to stop caring about what people from down south think.

"now liberals care about family values, what about gosnell, hahaha"

Everything is either or with conservatives. There needs to be studies done on how they think and if their world view is more black or white than liberals. There is no nuance in their statments

Which district was Gosnell running in? lmao.

People are surprised? Democrats have been wiped out of the south since Obama was elected. And Sanford used the divorce to his advantage among male voters ("she won't even let him watch the Superbowl with his sons?!?").

People are surprised? Democrats have been wiped out of the south since Obama was elected. And Sanford used the divorce to his advantage among male voters ("she won't even let him watch the Superbowl with his sons?!?").
His approvals with Republicans went up after the break-in story. Ludicrous.

I've actually thought about this.

I wonder, just how big would the gap be between the US and the rest of the world, if our culture as a whole valued education.

I have as well. To be fair though it is because we value individuality and creativity that we've also been so dominate for so long.

Its why it seems every other decade there is a rise of Asia only for those nations to crash down because despite many of those natives making good small business owners and professionals, you don't see too many Asians creating the next facebook or Napster.

The chinese and japanese also only have compulsory education through age 15 or so- about what we'd consider 9th or 10th grade. anyone still in school after that is on a track to university, and dedicated to their education.

Needless to say, the US system doesn't work that way. (just about) everyone through 17 to 18 attends high school whether they intend to head to college or not, and only about 40% or so do.

This makes sense. I imagine the gap is the same in Finland in which after the age of 16 people either go to trade schools or universities.

Interesting.

What about the culture? The Chinese value education much more.

Remember my "Why are Asian immigrants so successful?" thread. You had these groups of people who were raised in projects and refugee camps that outperformed white middle class children in grades. This is why its so hard for me to take those facts as well facts. Imagine how a middle class Korean student performs in the mainland.

That and the debate with the Nancy Pelosi cardboard cut-out. Fucking loony town down there.

This is my point about people like spitzer and weiner. People hate thinking northerners are telling them what to do. Remember these are the same people who call the civil war the war of northern aggression. Its still 1860 down there.

His approvals with Republicans went up after the break-in story. Ludicrous.

In hindsight I feel like we should have saw that coming. I assumed he was fucked after that story broke, but looking at it, and the way he played it with the Superbowl...bah, it seems so obvious now lol.

In hindsight I feel like we should have saw that coming. I assumed he was fucked after that story broke, but looking at it, and the way he played it with the Superbowl...bah, it seems so obvious now lol.
I loved that comment he made about "MY house" when he was explaining himself. As if the fact that he ditched his wife and kids still entitled him to it. And yet i see how that might play well with some people.

Scumbag.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
america, where stephen colbert's sister loses a congressional race to a cheating pervert after the latter was charged with trespassing by his ex-wife

ow

I'd give California best weather, at least the Southern part.

its on the worst coast though. (your still right)

america, where stephen colbert's sister loses a congressional race to a cheating pervert after the latter was charged with trespassing by his ex-wife

ow

America, where anything is possible

CryingEagle.jpg

Aaron

ow
On the upside, we can continue making fun of South Carolina for being dumb as shit.

Jooney

To change the topic:

I have to give it up for Bill Moyers and his recent Moyers & Company episode: The Sandy Hook Promise.

Bill interviews David and Francine Wheeler, the parents of one of the children from the Newtown massacre. These parents, who have had to bury their six year old son, put forward the most eloquent, graceful and honest case for gun reform. They walk the line between respecting the rights of responsible gun owners to the need for common sense reforms to reduce preventable gun violence. They talk about their disappointment with the recent background check vote, but never get angry at the senators that voted no. It’s raw at times but it’s well worth watching the whole video.

They are 100% correct in stating that the only way forward is through political pressure. If you senator voted for the amendment, call them and show your appreciation. If they voted no, ask them why and threated to pull your vote at the next election. Congress prioritises self-preservation first and foremost, so change will only occur when the people demand it.

Ugggh. Lame. Gives the GOP something to crow about, even though they had to fight tooth and nail to win a seat Romney won by 18 points.

I hope this gets Democrats to put up decent candidates in every district, no matter how red they are. Obviously we can't get Elizabeth Colbert-Busch to run in every Republican district, but you never know how a race will develop.
Well lets hope she runs again in a year.

Ugggh. Lame. Gives the GOP something to crow about, even though they had to fight tooth and nail to win a seat Romney won by 18 points.

I hope this gets Democrats to put up decent candidates in every district, no matter how red they are. Obviously we can't get Elizabeth Colbert-Busch to run in every Republican district, but you never know how a race will develop.

The GOP fought "tooth and nail" to win the seat by 10 points, including the NRCC yanking Sanford's funding weeks ago? There is no silver lining here, Bush got stomped. It's going to be hard to re-take the house when the party is virtually extinct in a large region of the country.

The GOP fought "tooth and nail" to win the seat by 10 points, including the NRCC yanking Sanford's funding weeks ago? There is no silver lining here, Bush got stomped. It's going to be hard to re-take the house when the party is virtually extinct in a large region of the country.
I'm not saying there's a silver lining, I'm saying she got "stomped" in a R+11 district. Let's not pretend this has any broader implication than a Republican winning in a safe Republican district. This was only ever a race because of Sanford's personal issues and Colbert Busch's profile, but I doubt any Democrat could have won here.

I do think Democrats should rebuild the party in the South - we'd have the majority if the South was cut out - but if it means appealing to racism, sexism and homophobia, forget about it. I'd rather have an enduring presidential majority than a tepid House majority.

Luckily immigration trends will turn Florida and North Carolina blue for us, and Texas, Georgia, and Arizona will start trending our way.

Averon

Not at all surprised Colbert-Busch lost. Let's get some perspective, people.

It's a R+11 district, a special election in a non-election year, and it's freaking South Carolina, the same state that voted for Gingrich in the 2012 primaries. The fact that she was even competitive there (for the short time that it lasted) is a testament to how awful a candidate Mark Sanford was.

I do think Democrats should rebuild the party in the South - we'd have the majority if the South was cut out - but if it means appealing to racism, sexism and homophobia, forget about it. I'd rather have an enduring presidential majority than a tepid House majority.

Luckily immigration trends will turn Florida and North Carolina blue for us, and Texas, Georgia, and Arizona will start trending our way.

The problem is geography for anything besides the senate and presidency.

We're not getting liberal bills without a democratic house at best will get conservative reforms or the status quo. but land votes in the US and the states control districting. Dems live in cities and it makes it hard to split them up for districting the democrats in maryland had a hard time gerrymandering there if I remember right. And unless we have a wave election every election is going to be like swimming upstream.

We need to either counter-gerrymander (requires winning back state legislatures and is still gonna make it hard to win) or fight for something like multi-member districts (which has a law against it but which is consitutional).

And rebuilding in the south doesn't mean appealing to racism or homophobia. That's not what wins most elections (its more about solidifying the base) in the areas the dems would try to win. Its independents who see people like Nancy Pelosi and run in the opposite direction (and who don't take most of the religious conservatism and homophobia for anything other than pandering), we need people like bill clinton or a schweitzer that can really articulate what liberalism means to rural voters (populists)

You're not going to win on ethnic issues or womens issues in the south like you can in other areas, you need to present them with a vision that "for the little guy." obama did great in ohio with a similar message. and look to clinton's wins in lousiana and tennesse, at the height of the southern strategy.

Jooney

2020 is the next big election. It's when the next census will be conducted. Dems have to have a better showing at both the congressional level and at the statehouses to regain control of the state redistricting process. The fact that it is a presidential election year should boost dem turnout.

I can't see the House flipping in 2014. In fact I remember hearing a stat about how unlikely it is historically that a President can flip the House in the midterm elections of his 2nd term.

Who knows what will happen in 2016.

2020 is the next big election. It's when the next census will be conducted. Dems have to have a better showing at both the congressional level and at the statehouses to regain control of the state redistricting process. The fact that it is a presidential election year should boost dem turnout.

I can't see the House flipping in 2014. In fact I remember hearing a stat about how unlikely it is historically that a President can flip the House in the midterm elections of his 2nd term.

Who knows what will happen in 2016.

2014 I can see the house getting worse (and the senate flipping). 2016 is a real possibility especially if they put out a bad candidate.

But I expect to see redistricting before 2020 if the dems flip some of the statehouses which might make 2016 or 2018 more doable.

another thing by 2020 we're almost in a totally different kind of electorate. It will be something like only 68 percent white (maybe more if immigration reform passes). Keep in mind it was like 95 percent white when Reagan won or something.

The problem is geography for anything besides the senate and presidency.

We're not getting liberal bills without a democratic house at best will get conservative reforms or the status quo. but land votes in the US and the states control districting. Dems live in cities and it makes it hard to split them up for districting the democrats in maryland had a hard time gerrymandering there if I remember right. And unless we have a wave election every election is going to be like swimming upstream.

We need to either counter-gerrymander (requires winning back state legislatures and is still gonna make it hard to win) or fight for something like multi-member districts (which has a law against it but which is consitutional).

And rebuilding in the south doesn't mean appealing to racism or homophobia. That's not what wins most elections (its more about solidifying the base) in the areas the dems would try to win. Its independents who see people like Nancy Pelosi and run in the opposite direction (and who don't take most of the religious conservatism and homophobia for anything other than pandering), we need people like bill clinton or a schweitzer that can really articulate what liberalism means to rural voters (populists)

You're not going to win on ethnic issues or womens issues in the south like you can in other areas, you need to present them with a vision that "for the little guy." obama did great in ohio with a similar message. and look to clinton's wins in lousiana and tennesse, at the height of the southern strategy.
That would work, the problem is the parties are driven by national elections more than anything else. As long as people like Obama and Pelosi and Hillary are the ones representing the party, Southern Democrats aren't going to do well in federal races. I doubt even Bill Clinton could win states like Louisiana or Tennessee today. At least, not with the same coalition as before. As Hispanics and African-Americans begin voting in greater numbers, the gerrymandered South is going to unravel. That's probably years away, but when you consider a state like Texas has 1 million eligible-but-not-registered Hispanic voters, there's something of a sleeping giant.

Democrats' "southern strategy" will be taking advantage of that - that's what they're trying to do with Battleground Texas. Elections have become too nationalized for Democrats to just put up a charming white guy and expect him to sell progressive ideas to conservative white voters.

Diablos

Actually that will probably be the general election lol.

Hillary vs. someone, but if the GOP was smart they'd back Rubio 110%. Two cranky old white dudes did not work. Not even in 2012 where Obama was seriously at risk for being a one-term Pres with terrible UE data and whatnot. They need a young, charismatic, preferably minority candidate to siphon off just enough youth and minority voters to make up the difference. Rubio is their best chance and you know he'll get the other typical GOPers by default.

Is this like therapy for you? I rarely post here anymore. Get off my dick, thanks.

2014 I can see the house getting worse (and the senate flipping). 2016 is a real possibility especially if they put out a bad candidate.

But I expect to see redistricting before 2020 if the dems flip some of the statehouses which might make 2016 or 2018 more doable.

another thing by 2020 we're almost in a totally different kind of electorate. It will be something like only 68 percent white (maybe more if immigration reform passes). Keep in mind it was like 95 percent white when Reagan won or something.

If the GOP couldn't take the Senate in 2010 when they had their tea party or in 2012, it probably isn't going to happen in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom