• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that stupid lifespan statistics claiming that we had the best healthcare in the world that I posted a while back and was wondering how they could come to the conclusion.

Well I found something about our education system.

I linked to this blog because it goes into more detail and it links the original source but basically this guy did a study in which when you compare schools by poverty rate (measuring free/reduced lunch) and put them against countries with poverty rates that match said schools. When this is done America ranks very differently in PISA.

qYWdXVG.png

i4rA0nl.png

d4cXRKf.png

I personally find this very difficult to believe. A vast majority of schools have a reduced/free lunch between 10-25%. This is essentially your average suburbia school. Am I to believe that those kids excel over the performance of the average Japanese high school?

The one with a poverty rate of less than 10% is also baffling. Yes yes, it includes the super rich, but I'd imagine most schools with less than 10% of kids on free/reduced lunch would be upper middle class and I somehow doubt those schools would tower over virtually every school in the world.

Now I know this study is probably bullshit. But like the "Americans have the longest lifespan" study, I want to know how its bullshit. Can someone help me out here please?

Remember that stupid lifespan statistics claiming that we had the best healthcare in the world that I posted a while back and was wondering how they could come to the conclusion.

I linked to this blog because it goes into more detail and it links the original source but basically this guy did a study in which when you compare schools by poverty rate (measuring free/reduced lunch) and put them against countries with poverty rates that match said schools. When this is done America ranks very differently in PISA.

qYWdXVG.png

i4rA0nl.png

d4cXRKf.png

I personally find this very difficult to believe. A vast majority of schools have a reduced/free lunch between 10-25%. This is essentially your average suburbia school. Am I to believe that those kids excel over the performance of the average Japanese high school?

The one with a poverty rate of less than 10% is also baffling. Yes yes, it includes the super rich, but I'd imagine most schools with less than 10% of kids on free/reduced lunch would be upper middle class and I somehow doubt those schools would tower over virtually every school in the world.

Now I know this study is probably bullshit. But like the "Americans have the longest lifespan" study, I want to know how its bullshit. Can someone help me out here please?

Not really a surprise. The US educates all classes and skill levels equally through high school level- this isn't true worldwide.

if you only take the top 10% or so, you're basically looking at the kids who comprise the best of the best in american universities, and the american university system is easily on par or better than the best in the world.

gcubed

In February? He doesn't look any different; my aunt had that done last year and witnessed a noticeable notable weight difference within a couple months.

Eh, it's still early if it was done in late Feb. My neighbor got one and looks better every month, still working on convincing her she should go for walks at night.

Hope it works for him, last I heard a high percentage of people gain it back

andthebeatgoeson

In February? He doesn't look any different; my aunt had that done last year and witnessed a noticeable notable weight difference within a couple months.

Article says 40 lbs so far.

Here's an old photo:
christie.jpg

Who can resist that man? Slim conservative from a blue state?

BTW, FYI, baratric surgery is one of the few, if not the only surgery that has a profound improvement with many medical diseases: high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. Not to say he has those but it's not for cosmetic reasons. Actually, the best reasons to perform the surgery are to fix some medical issues. It's amazing what losing weight can do for your body.

If I was his advisor, I would make this apart of my platform. Except, the food industry has a massive lobby.

Piecake

qYWdXVG.png

i4rA0nl.png

d4cXRKf.png

http://www.ascd.org/publications/bo...ffects-behavior-and-academic-performance.aspx

Our education problem is not a teacher quality or school problem, its a poverty problem

National Review exposes the sinister agenda of another freedom-destroying nanny state program.

Dennis Prager said:
Given how inexpensive breakfast can be (not to mention the myriad public and private programs that provide food for poor households), any home that cannot provide its child with breakfast demands a visit from child protective services. Any parent who cannot give a child breakfast is not too poor; he or she is too incapable of being, or too irresponsible to be, a competent parent.

Hundreds of thousands of parents who are able, and happy, to provide their child with breakfast have accepted the offer — because anything free is too enticing for an increasing number of Americans. But what they have done is made the proverbial deal with the devil. They have traded in one of the most fundamental definitions of parenthood — providing one’s children with food — for a dollar and for a little less work as a parent. As a result, these parents become less of a parent to their child.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I cant believe this congressional race between Mark Sanford and Elizabeth Colbert Busch is even close. Disgusting.

I cant believe this congressional race between Mark Sanford and Elizabeth Colbert Busch is even close. Disgusting.

it's south Carolina? not sure what you would expect. That's the state Newt Gingrich won in the primary. it's amazing she isn't getting blown out completely.

Averon

I don't know. Given it's SC we're talking about, and the district is deep, deep red, the fact that Colbert-Busch is even competitive is surprising. And that's a direct indictment in how deeply flawed a candidate Mark Sanford is. If this election was happening in any other part of the country, Colbert-Busch would be up at least ten points heading into today.

PTO is a lie. Employees currently have no leverage at all and even taking time off you legitimately earned could put you at risk of being replaced. Lots of people won't even take the vacation time they've already got because of this fear, so adding more on top of that is just ensuring they end up getting even less for their work. And the Republicans understand this, which is why they're proposing the idea. Do not want.

Also, consider our current state of affairs. Do we really want businesses to start pushing more overtime on already overworked full time employees because they have a better chance of not paying for it, also allowing them to cut more hours for others?

This. I work for a company that has PTO and we don't deal with bullshit. Most of the time if we want to take time, we can take it. There are blackouts, but that's life.

I also work for a moral company. Most people do not. And that's where the problem begins. With unemployment so high, what Sea Manky said is on point. This will lead to more overtime and less money. Businesses will get the bulk of the benefit from this at the expense of their overworked employees. It's fucked up, and anybody trying to spin it really is a shill for big business. Can you imagine what a company like AT&T or Walmart would do with a law like this?

I also imagine businesses could bully their employees into not taking the time off. As it is people don't use their time off, my aunt has about three or four months worth of vacation if she would be bothered to take it. It's reached a point where they need her to take it, but can't afford to let her take it. It's asinine.

Exactly. This is the other thing that will happen. This isn't, in any way, shape or form, good for workers. This is pro-business legislation from the pro-business political party. If this got passed people are working overtime, but still being "paid" at a normal rate in the form of PTO. PTO that they may never be able to take.

Not really a surprise. The US educates all classes and skill levels equally through high school level- this isn't true worldwide.

if you only take the top 10% or so, you're basically looking at the kids who comprise the best of the best in american universities, and the american university system is easily on par or better than the best in the world.

This isn't universities nor is it the top 10% of performing kids. Its poverty rates. The poverty rate for American children is a bit less than 20%. How the hell are normal kids beaten normal kids in Japan?

I mean if you compare our best state with the other countries we still aren't number 1.

ednext_20114_Peterson_fig1.gif

And thats just comparing our top performing region with the average of others. I wonder what Japan or Canada's top performing region would look like. I would also dare say Finland (though I'm not sure how fair that would be).

The Mark Sanford thing just proves how utterly hypocritical a lot of conservatives in the South are.

This man, who, by all accounts is reprehensible, who abandoned his job while governor for 5 days–leaving the country to have an affair without telling anyone, is on the verge of winning the special election for South Carolina’s 1st Congressional District.

Isn’t South Carolina part of the “Bible belt?” Aren’t Republicans the party of the “moral majority?” Aren’t conservatives the ones always whining about the “decay of family values?”

Yet they’re still going to vote for this man? Pathetic.

These people who preach the Bible, morals and judge everyone they disagree with—are set to vote for a man who left his family for another woman.

And you know what, that’s not even the worst part to me. I don’t agree with it, but that’s his personal business and something he has to deal with.

But the man left his state (and country) for 5 days while governor, without telling anyone, to have an affair. How in the hell could you vote for someone who vanished, refusing to return anyone’s phone calls, while they were governor of your state?

Shit like this is why I can't take most conservative viewpoints seriously.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Mark Sanford thing just proves how utterly hypocritical a lot of conservatives in the South are.

This man, who, by all accounts is reprehensible, who abandoned his job while governor for 5 days–leaving the country to have an affair without telling anyone, is on the verge of winning the special election for South Carolina’s 1st Congressional District.

Isn’t South Carolina part of the “Bible belt?” Aren’t Republicans the party of the “moral majority?” Aren’t conservatives the ones always whining about the “decay of family values?”

These people who preach the Bible, morals and judge everyone they disagree with—are set to vote for a man who left his family for another woman.

And you know what, that’s not even the worst part to me. I don’t agree with it, but that’s his personal business and something he has to deal with.

But the man left his state (and country) for 5 days while governor, without telling anyone, to have an affair. How in the hell could you vote for someone who vanished, refusing to return anyone’s phone calls, while they were governor of your state?

You aren't wrong about any of that. I'm still hoping Colbert-Busch finds a way to pull it out in the end. Sanford does not deserve this in any way shape or form.

User 406

Banned
This isn't universities nor is it the top 10% of performing kids. Its poverty rates. The poverty rate for American children is a bit less than 20%. How the hell are normal kids beaten normal kids in Japan?

I mean if you compare our best state with the other countries we still aren't number 1.

ednext_20114_Peterson_fig1.gif

And thats just comparing our top performing region with the average of others. I wonder what Japan or Canada's top performing region would look like. I would also dare say Finland (though I'm not sure how fair that would be).

That's the point, our poverty rates drag us down. We actually have a very strong universal public school curriculum, even with problems of underfunded schools, overworked teachers, and douchebag textbook buyers in Texas.

There was a study a while back that showed that parental involvement in their childrens' education was the biggest factor in student success, and that private schools only held an advantage over public schools in this regard because parents who could afford and were willing to send their children to private school were more likely to be strongly involved. And of course, poverty is a huge drag on this kind of parental involvement.

The Japanese kids don't have some magic study harder gene, just like we don't have some magic fat ignorant American gene. If we fixed our poverty problem, our education problem would go away. But I guess we do have a magic "fuck you, I got mine" gene. :/

Have you heard of Scott DesJarlais? Teabagger freshman from Tennessee.

Staunch anti-abortion
Staunch family-values (code word for anti-gay rights)

Well,
Scott DesJarlais Approved Wife's Abortion, Slept With Coworkers, Patients, Court Records Say
The Huffington Post first reported that DesJarlais pressured one of his patients to abort a pregnancy that she said came from their flings. The doctor calls the 24-year-old a "psycho" in the transcript of his testimony. DesJarlais won reelection last week, even after reports surfaced that he had sex with other patients, and that he prescribed them pills. DesJarlais admitted the HuffPost report, but challenged the credibility of the later case.
I believe he won by double digits. Bible Belt ladies and gentlemen.

That's the point, our poverty rates drag us down. We actually have a very strong universal public school curriculum, even with problems of underfunded schools, overworked teachers, and douchebag textbook buyers in Texas.

There was a study a while back that showed that parental involvement in their childrens' education was the biggest factor in student success, and that private schools only held an advantage over public schools in this regard because parents who could afford and were willing to send their children to private school were more likely to be strongly involved. And of course, poverty is a huge drag on this kind of parental involvement.

The Japanese kids don't have some magic study harder gene, just like we don't have some magic fat ignorant American gene. If we fixed our poverty problem, our education problem would go away. But I guess we do have a magic "fuck you, I got mine" gene. :/

I guess it make sense. I just don't think the results from that study are that radical. That being said I'd be interested to see the study about the whole private school vs public schol thing.

This is the ingeniousness of the whole "jesus forgives."

they just strayed for a bit. but god knows we're all human! He'll still vote on the "right values"

Which is why if wiener or spitzer were republicans (or religious christians) they could have just asked for god's forgiveness and help.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is the ingeniousness of the whole "jesus forgives."

they just strayed for a bit. but god knows we're all human! He'll still vote on the "right values"

Which is why if wiener or spitzer were republicans (or religious christians) they could have just asked for god's forgiveness and help.

Yep. Makes me furious to hear about it here in TN, and some media is taking him to task, but people just don't care. Because if they don't forgive, they won't be forgiven for their own transgressions.

Have you heard of Scott DesJarlais? Teabagger freshman from Tennessee.

Staunch anti-abortion
Staunch family-values (code word for anti-gay rights)

Well,
Scott DesJarlais Approved Wife's Abortion, Slept With Coworkers, Patients, Court Records Say

I believe he won by double digits. Bible Belt ladies and gentlemen.
He was featured in round 2 of Maher's Craziest Congressperson contest:
http://rackjite.com/bill-maher-craz...-louie-gohmert-or-tennessee-scott-desjarlais/

What about the culture? The Chinese value education much more.

Nate would be the first to tell you that 9% doesn't mean "impossible," but instead "should happen 9% of the time."
Indeed, though his classification of the race still put it as a safe hold for the GOP when many others called it a toss-up (and rightly so).

He also had Jon Tester as a 1-in-3 underdog in the Senate, though that made a victory more plausible under his map than for Heitkamp.

It's not something I really penalize him for, just saying he hasn't always been "right."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh my god, the House is holding another hearing on Benghazi tomorrow! Kill me now, this is not going to be Watergate. Issa is full of shit when he says it's not political.

What about the culture? The Chinese value education much more.

The chinese and japanese also only have compulsory education through age 15 or so- about what we'd consider 9th or 10th grade. anyone still in school after that is on a track to university, and dedicated to their education.

Needless to say, the US system doesn't work that way. (just about) everyone through 17 to 18 attends high school whether they intend to head to college or not, and only about 40% or so do.

In addition, china has a HUGE urban/rural performance gap in terms of schooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom