• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

I fail to see how putting a woman in the Veep slot solely based on her looks makes any sense. She's been a representative for 3ish years now, and has done nothing to distinguish herself.
0OnCVrs.jpg

"Ohai, can I sell my fellow Alaskans a bridge to nowhere, trololol."
If the economy didn't crash and burn in 2008 this could have been our Vice President right now.

Also:

t9kC2pS.jpg

Empowered conservative women and Palin-lovin' men would be all the more encouraged to vote the shit out of a ticket with her name on it.

If nothing else it could be an "image" response to an aging Hillary at the top of the opposing ticket, and image as we know is all oh so important (too fucking important imo).

KingK

Apartments aren't free. Unless you have wealth, money requires work. Students working to pay bills is a negative impact on academics, like I originally said.

In other words, you're on your own. Poor students will have to work more. Rich students can mooch off their parents.

As Hitokage said, shelter and food aren't options. You aren't bringing the cost of something down just by changing the entity billing you for it. In fact, in this circumstance, school food and shelter is undoubtedly cheaper than real world food and shelter. So she is proposing raising the cost of education in this regard, not lowering it.

Um, what fucking college are you guys talking about where living in a dorm+meal plan is free, let alone cheap? I go to a public, in state university (and went to a different public in state university before this one) and in both cases it is easily cheaper to rent an apartment with a roommate and buy your own groceries than it is to pay for a dorm and meal plan.

Poor students (like myself) already have to work part time to pay for food and housing regardless of whether it's on campus or off campus.

Diablos

Um, what fucking college are you guys talking about where living in a dorm+meal plan is free, let alone cheap? I go to a public, in state university (and went to a different public in state university before this one) and in both cases it is easily cheaper to rent an apartment with a roommate and buy your own groceries than it is to pay for a dorm and meal plan.

Poor students (like myself) already have to work part time to pay for food and housing regardless of whether it's on campus or off campus.
Regardless of where you stand, I can't help but see this Republican wet dream of $10k college as really a fuck you to academia more than anything else. That isn't a good thing for teachers, which in turn isn't a good thing for students.

hahaha.

Also:

kTfLkJq.jpg

Anyone thinking Noem would be a strong VP candidate as well? A bit too early to run for President but she could someday. I realize she's in the vein of Bachmann and co., but most men would agree she's hot as hell. Certainly better looking than Palin, even, and we all know how much conservative men and "soccer moms" loved that shit.

I'm sorry, who?

KingK

Regardless of where you stand, I can't help but see this Republican wet dream of $10k college as really a fuck you to academia more than anything else. That isn't a good thing for teachers, which in turn isn't a good thing for students.

Yeah, I don't really support the plan either. I just wanted to note that campus housing is not some fabled bastion of cheap, affordable living for poor students. It's just as expensive, if not more so, than living off campus in most cases as far as I know. I suppose if the university was in a more expensive urban area, it could save you money to live in dorms, but here in the midwest it's generally regarded as a ripoff.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't see many of them as bad after I've read the entirety of Dylan Matthew's "The Tuition is Too Damn High." Certainly interesting ideas at the least, especially the three-tiered approach.
"Cut administration" has the same allure as "small government". While cuts may be needed, the article seems to misunderstand the nature of Universities, casting them as BA mills while neglecting postgrad and research, and diminishes activities like "academic advising" and "student counseling", which, in my case, were handled by teaching faculty to begin with.

The article then contradicts itself with the example of the ASAP program, where MORE faculty resources were brought forward in order to reduce graduation time. I actually agree strongly with the removal of obstacles to graduation, but more heinous examples like required classes only offered in one semester probably rank higher on my list. Shit happens, and having to wait till the next spring or fall to get back on track makes an already unfortunate situation far worse.

Recorded lectures are fine, but one of the key advantages of physical classes is the structure and feedback they provide. Not to mention this point again muddles the overall message by taking students away from faculty rather than pushing them closer as cited earlier. Both approaches may have produced results, but you can't just add them together.

Cutting the list of majors to 10-12 is laughable. Sure, there probably is some redundancy and maybe the list needs review, but shoehorning everything in doesn't serve academic interests at all, just "college as vocational school" interests.

I would definitely agree with with enhancing relationships between different levels of institutions, but I'm not enthusiastic about the way it's presented in that article. Even when credits transfer exactly, you can run into issues of how things are taught and what standards are applied.

Tamanon

Banned
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...-obama-gets-larger-character-limit-on-twitter

Former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer backed off on his suggestion earlier this week that Twitter allows President Barack Obama to use more than 140 characters in his tweets, but some Republican primary voters evidently still have doubts.

Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling tested Fleischer's debunked and ultimately retracted conspiracy theory in a survey released Friday, finding support and uncertainty among Republicans nationwide. The poll showed that 13 percent of GOP primary voters think Twitter does permit Obama to exceed the 140 character limit while a majority — 52 percent — said they weren't sure. Thirty-six percent said they don't think Obama enjoys a larger character limit than the rest of Twitter users.

Fleischer, who served as press secretary under George W. Bush, was widely ridiculed after he took to Twitter to ask why a tweet from Obama's account had gone over the 140-character limit, wondering if the president gets to "play by different rules." But there were actually only 136 characters in the tweet that Fleischer questioned and, moments later, he was forced to walk back his suggestion.

What?

I doubt that you can rent an apartment and buy food more cheaply than you can live in a dorm with a meal plan. (Food, maybe, but not nutritiously equivalent food.) If dorms and meal plans are more expensive than living off campus, then I would suggest the reason is that colleges are gouging students, and the solution would be to prohibit such gouging rather than eliminating the opportunity for students to save money by living on campus and eating there.

But, in any event, I'm somewhat confused why this is even promoted as something to reduce the cost of college seeing as how living in a dorm and purchasing a meal plan are usually optional to begin with, right?

KingK

I'm more interested to see how Oregon's free tuition plan goes.

Essentially, you don't have to pay tuition for a community college/public university, and in exchange you pay 3% of your income for 25 years after graduating to fund the program.

It seems like a great idea to me, and if it proves successful I'd like to see it adopted on a national level.

I doubt that you can rent an apartment and buy food more cheaply than you can live in a dorm with a meal plan. (Food, maybe, but not nutritiously equivalent food.) If dorms and meal plans are more expensive than living off campus, then I would suggest the reason is that colleges are gouging students, and the solution would be to prohibit such gouging rather than eliminating the opportunity for students to save money by living on campus and eating there.

But, in any event, I'm somewhat confused why this is even promoted as something to reduce the cost of college seeing as how living in a dorm and purchasing a meal plan are usually optional to begin with, right?

It was costing me $6000 for my dorm and $4000 for my meal plan my freshman year, iirc. This year I have an apartment with a roommate and we each pay $350 a month for rent and about $100 a month in groceries. So it's like half the cost to get a roommate and live off campus. I would agree that it's likely a result of the university gouging students and every student generally regards living in the dorms as being a ripoff.

Your freshman year, it is mandatory to live in a dorm on campus here (as well as a lot of other places).

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO), a staunch opponent of the Affordable Care Act, is encouraging his uninsured constituents to take advantage of the law and sign-up for health care coverage when the new marketplaces open next Tuesday, putting himself at odds with lawmakers in his own party.

In an interview with the News Leader, Blunt criticized the law, but argued that it could serve as an option for those without coverage:
Blunt said the exchanges would be “nowhere near ready” to open on Tuesday. But he said uninsured Missourians still should figure out how to get coverage.

“The exchanges are there, people need insurance,” he said.
State Republican lawmakers in Missouri are actively trying to undermine reform and have explicitly refused to oversee Obamacare’s most basic and popular protections, such as barring insurers from denying coverage to Americans with pre-existing medical conditions and discriminating against women on the basis of gender. Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder has even actively discouraged Missourians from signing up for insurance.

Fourteen percent of Missourians are currently uninsured. According to premium averages released by the Department of Health and Human Services, “a 27-year-old Missourian earning $25,000 annually will pay roughly $87 a month for the lowest-cost plan after using the tax credits.”

KuGsj.gif
It's only a matter of time. Give it ten years I see the GOP becoming the party with the saying "They want to take your Obamacare away!"

Cruz to House Conservatives: Oppose Boehner

On a Thursday conference call, a group of House conservatives consulted with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas about how to respond to the leadership’s fiscal strategy. Sources who were on the call say Cruz strongly advised them to oppose it, and hours later, Speaker John Boehner’s plan fizzled.

It’s the latest example of Cruz leading the House’s right flank.

The private call came together after Boehner unveiled his strategy at a Republican conference meeting earlier this week. Boehner’s plan — to focus on a debt-limit package, rather than a drawn-out CR battle — made many conservatives uneasy. As they mulled a response, they reached out to Cruz.

On the call, Cruz told them that Boehner was making a mistake, and urged his friends to fight until the end on the CR. The group agreed, and they complained that Boehner’s shift to the debt limit was a diversion. Senator Mike Lee of Utah joined Cruz on the call, and both senators said they’d stand with House conservatives as they opposed the leadership.

By the call’s end, there was a consensus: until the CR talks are complete, Republicans should whip “no” on Boehner’s debt-limit plan, as a way of preventing the leadership from directing the strategy. And that’s exactly what happened late Thursday afternoon: GOP whip Kevin McCarthy worked the floor, but couldn’t find the votes for Boehner’s debt-limit plan. After McCarthy reported back about the Cruz-inspired uprising, the leadership shelved it.

Later Thursday, Cruz met again with House conservatives at a venue near the Capitol. According to one House member, the bicameral bloc talked deep into the night about the CR and how to pressure Boehner. At the top of the agenda: making a one-year delay of Obamacare a requirement for government funding, and to accept nothing less, should the defunding effort continue to unravel. There is fear the Boehner is resistant to making that demand as part of a CR, and conservatives discussed ways to force his hand.

Leadership sources, for their part, are startled by Cruz’s attempt to shape House strategy and work against the speaker. They knew he’d oppose Boehner’s playbook, but they didn’t expect him to huddle with conservatives and ask them to ignore it. So, Cruz’s meetings have made him a key House player, but they’ve worsened his already-fraught relationship with the leadership.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/359717/cruz-house-conservatives-oppose-boehner-robert-costa

I can't think of many cases of a member overtly sabotaging leadership within his own party like this, outside of Ted Kennedy destroying President Carter's healthcare plan.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, I don't really support the plan either. I just wanted to note that campus housing is not some fabled bastion of cheap, affordable living for poor students. It's just as expensive, if not more so, than living off campus in most cases as far as I know. I suppose if the university was in a more expensive urban area, it could save you money to live in dorms, but here in the midwest it's generally regarded as a ripoff.
Heh, admittedly my own experience with off-campus living with a major city university with abysmal public transportation and extortionist parking fees has left me less than enthusiastic about the arrangement. I'm aware that meal plans aren't cheap at all ($10 a dinner?), but I have to wonder how the capital required balances out and especially with how the payment is structured. So yeah, they're kinda shit right now, but the solution isn't to give up on the idea.

iz4TlSQ7gHGQ.gif

* for those of you who don't read Wall Street, this is the spread on United States of America credit default swaps -- denominated in euros, of course.

I still think there's a 0% chance of default, but the march towards the 17th of October will do damage to the economy (which seems like the point of all this). Boehner has almost certainly known for weeks that he'll have to crawl to Pelosi and get this passed. The turn of events is very familiar: Boehner throws every conservative goodie in an unpopular-but-necessary bill, the far right rejects it, Boehner quietly gets democrats to save the country.

What does PoliGAF think of this lady's plan to bring down the cost of a college education to a total of $10,000?

So essentially dumbing down the education system? I'm all down for downsizing the overblown education system, but not with what Walker and Rick Scott of in mind.

The idea I have is to reduce the number of universities in the nation and just beef up the number and the quality of community colleges. Universities should only set with the most prestige professions in mind while community college focus for the vast majority of American jobs. All of this would be free for anyone to attend.

Pretty much. Everyone just moves to apartments right down the block because its cheaper there.

As with most things, right wingers don't understand the reality of college. They believe that people are in debt because tuition for classes are so expensive. They think that most kids are in such debt because they live in dorms for six years, and take special expensive classes that require extra fees.

Essentially, you don't have to pay tuition for a community college/public university, and in exchange you pay 3% of your income for 25 years after graduating to fund the program.

It seems like a great idea to me, and if it proves successful I'd like to see it adopted on a national level.

Seems like a win win situation for everyone.

It was costing me $6000 for my dorm and $4000 for my meal plan my freshman year, iirc.

$4000 for a meal plan? What the fucking fuck!?

Tamanon

Banned
Plus, you'd start to run into more issues since public loans and financial aid are not disbursed until the middle of the semester, whereas if it's a school fee for room/board, it can be used earlier.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Expand this to include basic cost of living AND cost of attendance, hell, even bump it to 5% as well, and I would take it in a heartbeat.

It was costing me $6000 for my dorm and $4000 for my meal plan my freshman year, iirc.
That's... much higher than the numbers I'm familiar with. lol

I hadn't heard of that one before... what's the story there?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/16/jimmy-carter-ted-kennedy-health-insurance_n_720356.html

Kennedy defenders will argue that Carter's bill wasn't that good, which is true. But ultimately Kennedy led the liberal revolt that killed the bill. Kennedy wanted a comprehensive healthcare bill including a public option, Carter introduced a scaled back bill that could actually pass congress (sound familiar?), based around private insurance.

Tamanon

Banned
Ecuador actually has a pretty decent education initiative that wouldn't work at all here.

They basically pay for you to attend college in the US or another country(full ride), and in return you work a year for the Government for each year you attended college. The aim there is to increase the diversity of education and to put it back into the country itself.

I know it's limited, something like a few thousand per year. In country, their colleges are either public and free or private and not that bad pricewise.

Ecuador actually has a pretty decent education initiative that wouldn't work at all here.

They basically pay for you to attend college in the US or another country(full ride), and in return you work a year for the Government for each year you attended college. The aim there is to increase the diversity of education and to put it back into the country itself.

I know it's limited, something like a few thousand per year. In country, their colleges are either public and free or private and not that bad pricewise.

I always wonder how Ecuador is doing. Their president always seemed like a Chavez-lite.

hoos30

hahaha.

Also:

kTfLkJq.jpg

Anyone thinking Noem would be a strong VP candidate as well? A bit too early to run for President but she could someday. I realize she's in the vein of Bachmann and co., but most men would agree she's hot as hell. Certainly better looking than Palin, even, and we all know how much conservative men and "soccer moms" loved that shit.

Never heard of her and I listen to C-SPAN every day.

EDIT: Would, though.

Living off campus was much cheaper for me in the early 2000s and I lived in one of the highest rent cities in the nation. It was also healthier, less restrictive, etc.

But I wouldn't trade the first year on campus for anything. Living on campus for me was extremely expensive and food plan was mandatory.

Tamanon

Banned
I always wonder how Ecuador is doing. Their president always seemed like a Chavez-lite.

They're doing alright. I think the government might be propped up by the sale of the Amazon though. I have family that works in the trade department there and trade at least seems to be generally healthy. I know there are some crime problems there(kidnappings seem to be relatively large), but those who make the effort to go through education there tend to have a pretty decent living. And Correa is a pretty big pusher of education.

Wilsongt

Fox Panel on Obama’s Swipe: Fox’s Popularity ‘Gets Under His Skin

On Fox News Friday afternoon, host Jon Scott asked his guests if it was fair for Barack Obama to have singled out Fox News for “ridicule” during an address on Thursday.

“We have complained about this often,” Judy Miller said. “This is not a one-shot, one-off by the president. He and his aides have done this repeatedly. It’s effective. It draws attention away from the fact that his own popularity is sinking in the polls.”

“The president, at this point, of course is aware of Fox News, because more Americans watch Fox News than any other [network], so it gets under his skin,” she added. “He was light-hearted about it, but the message was clear.”

RELATED: The Five Reacts to Obama’s ‘Cheap Shot’ at Fox News

“I disagree with a lot of the assertions that have been made by my colleagues here, who are against ObamaCare,” Kirsten Powers said. But she then said Obama’s characterization of Fox News as monolithically opposed to the Affordable Care Act “ignores the fact that there are actually a diversity of views here, not just among the liberals that are on the channel who support ObamaCare—but even within the Republican Party there’s disagreement. You have Karl Rove arguing against defunding ObamaCare, for example. So there isn’t a unanimous view regarding how to approach ObamaCare.”

“But maybe the president doesn’t watch Fox,” Powers said.

I think people who blatantly misinform the public get under his skin more than a Faux News Conservative Machine.

What has Rubio ever done to suggest he has the ability to be a national candidate lol. Immigration probably ended his career.

He handles a bottle of water pretty well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The water bottle thing and immigration ended him. The first was a silly thing that could easily have been forgiven by everyone so long as he had managed to do the second thing and prove himself a serious legislator. He didn't so now he's just a guy who talks big and looks dumb when he's sitting at the grown-up's table.

Me and a friend discussing the news ledes
gsio.png

Agreed. It won't happen and if it does it will be for all of 20 minutes.

So, gay marriage in New Jersey just got legalized. Congrats!

Judge rules gay couples can marry on Oct 21st.

Could pose quite an interesting debate question for Christie in 2016: "Governor, former Senator Santorum and other conservative republicans have argued that gay marriage is a threat to the United States. Your state has had legal gay marriages since 2013. Is your state worse off now due to gay marriage?"

KingK

Heh, admittedly my own experience with off-campus living with a major city university with abysmal public transportation and extortionist parking fees has left me less than enthusiastic about the arrangement. I'm aware that meal plans aren't cheap at all ($10 a dinner?), but I have to wonder how the capital required balances out and especially with how the payment is structured. So yeah, they're kinda shit right now, but the solution isn't to give up on the idea.

I definitely agree with the bolded, which is why I would oppose the plan Dax linked to.

Expand this to include basic cost of living AND cost of attendance, hell, even bump it to 5% as well, and I would take it in a heartbeat.

That's... much higher than the numbers I'm familiar with. lol

I definitely agree that including cost of living would make Oregon's system even better, but even just how it is it's the best plan I've seen seriously put forward to address college cost for students.

And yeah, I just double checked the University's housing prices and the dorm+standard meal plan (12 meal swipes per week) for the dorm I lived in my sophomore year was $9,754. The cheapest is $8,106 (which is actually where I lived freshman year) but it's the really shitty one with tiny rooms and no air conditioning (which was fucking hell the first few months). And even that cheapest option is significantly more expensive than living just off campus in a decent apartment.

Every student knows and complains about how much of a ripoff living on campus is. It's just a nice way to get to know people when you first go to college and to have quicker access to campus resources.

The outgoing (fascist, racist, asshole, cunt) foreign minister is on trial for fraud, money laundering and witness tampering and Netanyahu is keeping the position open for him.
It can be explained by parliamentary coalition mathematics, but honestly, it cannot be explained well, maybe the conspiracy theories that Lieberman has some blackmail worthy stuff on Netanyahu are true.
I knew it. Scandalous.

GhaleonEB

Very glad to see this moving forward. I think it's exactly what we need to do, and hope it goes national. IIRC, it's what a lot of countries outside the US are doing.

Very glad to see this moving forward. I think it's exactly what we need to do, and hope it goes national. IIRC, it's what a lot of countries outside the US are doing.

Yeah, I definitely like that plan a lot more. I hope it succeeds.

Vermont going for single-payer, and Oregon going for free higher education. This is how the country moves forward.

Edit:
Oregon is the first state to take a step toward the Pay-It-Forward model. Burbank said legislators in other states, including Washington, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, have expressed an interest.
Well there you go. Hope Vermont adopts this too!

Wow, Obama just talked with Iran's president.

Between Syria and Iran, Kerry could end his term as the most influential Sec of State in decades. It also highlights how much of Clinton's tenure was more of a giant PR campaign than truly significant in terms of foreign policy progress.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Between Syria and Iran, Kerry could end his term as the most influential Sec of State in decades. It also highlights how much of Clinton's tenure was more of a giant PR campaign than truly significant in terms of foreign policy progress.
What did Hillary do to earn such scorn from her biggest fan?

Obama laying down the facts straight and simple. Hopefully people actually listen to what he says and don't just default to whatever "interpretation" certain news stations spew out. He's being extremely clear and concise about what's going on, the risks involved and what the potential outcomes are

thefro

Don't forget he got Israel/Palestine peace talks restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom