• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Did you guys know that Jay Carney is 48 years old? Dude looks like he could be in his late 20s.

remist

Shouldn't protecting innocent people's lives be the top priority?

No. Protecting innocent lives is important, but a good justice system should prioritize a fair and equitable system. Your average citizen doesn't have the resources that the state has and there is not always enough evidence to get a clear picture of the truth. We place the burden of proof on the state for good reason. The vast majority of self-defense claims fail. You just need to disprove one of many elements, was the defendant the aggressor? Would a reasonable person consider the threat an imminent danger? Did the defendant fail to attempt retreat? ect. We already have enough wrongful convictions. Florida law needs to change, but there is no good reason to change self defense to an affirmative defense.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Was this bit of lol posted already?

DeMint thinks the election results don't accurately reflect national sentiment and therefore can't be used to argue against his desire to move the party to the right. True conservatism never got a hearing -- particularly not in regard to Obamacare, which was, after all, modeled after a Massachusetts law signed by Romney. "Because of Romney and Romneycare, we did not litigate the Obamacare issue," he says. Essentially, DeMint is declaring a mistrial.

This makes almost too much sense.

Piecake

I think lifting sanctions and better relations is possible if Iran gives inspectors complete access, the world lifts sanctions, and Israel signs the nuclear proliferation treaty. Getting Israel to sign that treaty would be their 'win'. Something they could bring back to show their govt and their people that they didnt just capitulate because the economic sanctions were raping their bum.

So yea, I think it hinders on Israel since I think the world and Iran would be totally fine with solution above. I wonder if/what we would need to give Israel for them to go along with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think lifting sanctions and better relations is possible if Iran gives inspectors complete access, the world lifts sanctions, and Israel signs the nuclear proliferation treaty. Getting Israel to sign that treaty would be their 'win'. Something they could bring back to show their govt and their people that they didnt just capitulate because the economic sanctions were raping their bum.

So yea, I think it hinders on Israel since I think the world and Iran would be totally fine with solution above. I wonder if/what we would need to give Israel for them to go along with it.

I don't see what we could give them.

Piecake

I don't see what we could give them.

Well, we could always threaten to take away stuff from them, but I doubt that will ever happen. I guess we will just have to hope that the Israeli govt wants to give peace a chance instead of more confrontation and aggression. I am pessimistic about that happening

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, we could always threaten to take away stuff from them, but I doubt that will ever happen. I guess we will just have to hope that the Israeli govt wants to give peace a chance instead of more confrontation and aggression. I am pessimistic about that happening

Maybe if some moderates got elected we could make that sort of deal.

Israel will never give up its nukes, never. The US, Russia and every country on earth could Israel never will. Its their last defense. They know they'll never face a conventional threat while they have them.

If that actually stick to that demand we'll know they're not serious because they know it will never happen.

More partisan liberal journalism about Ted Cruz from that infamous left-wing hack, George Will:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...4e3a94-253d-11e3-b3e9-d97fb087acd6_story.html

It will be a glorious day when political pundits stop referencing WWII and the cold war.

This is why conservatives are so effective, they never have to push an idea they just poke holes in others and claim victory. I've never liked the doomsday predictions of those pushing for a change in energy consumption, they should have know its not the most effective way to push change. Fear when not matched to a understandable and present threat is only going to backfire.

Piecake

Israel will never give up its nukes, never. The US, Russia and every country on earth could Israel never will. Its their last defense. They know they'll never face a conventional threat while they have them.

If that actually stick to that demand we'll know they're not serious because they know it will never happen.

Signing the treaty doesnt mean that they have to give up their nukes. Hell, the US and Russia have signed the treaty and we sure havent given up our nukes. Its a treaty to stop the spread of nuclear weapon technology and strongly suggest that nations disarm their nukes.

Wilsongt

bisonyesyesthisisdelicious.youtube

Republican infighting on full display on U.S. Senate floor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican infighting took a nasty turn in the U.S. Senate on Thursday with Senator Bob Corker accusing fellow conservative Ted Cruz of using the looming fiscal deadline for self-promotion and to endear himself further with Tea Party groups.

Congress has four days left to pass a spending bill to keep the government running. But traditional arguments between Republicans and Democrats, and bickering within the Republican Party have delayed action for days.

While the unusual floor fight between senators from the same party focused on one temporary spending bill, it highlighted the intra-party fights raging among Republicans over everything from national security surveillance to immigration reform and how deeply to cut into government social safety-net programs.

Corker, a Tennessee Republican, accused Cruz and fellow conservative Tea Party-backed Republican Senator Mike Lee of Utah of not wanting to vote on legislation on Thursday night because they wished to maximize their public exposure on Friday.

They "have sent out emails around the world and turned this into a show possibly, and therefore they want people around the world to watch maybe them and others on the Senate floor," Corker said on the Senate floor.

"That is taking priority over getting legislation back to the House so they can take action before the country's government shuts down," Corker said.

Cruz's office defended the delay and said it was better that the debate play out in the full light of day so the American people know exactly what is happening.

"America will be watching closely which senators vote to allow Democrats to fully fund Obamacare, and the vote should be carried out in the open for all to see," Cruz's office said.

Earlier this week, Cruz, a first-term senator from Texas, spent 21 hours and 19 minutes talking on the Senate floor in what many Republican lawmakers viewed as a publicity stunt to rail against President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law, popularly known as 'Obamacare.'

Although Cruz repeatedly warned his Republican colleagues that a vote to advance the Senate's budget bill was akin to supporting Obamacare, he later voted in favor of advancing the legislation.

DISAGREEMENT OVER STRATEGY

Corker questioned Cruz's marathon anti-Obamacare speech, which looked like a filibuster that senators normally use to block legislation.

"I don't think ever in the history of the Senate that we've had a 21-hour filibuster and then the person carrying out the filibuster voted for the issue they were filibustering," said Corker.

Many Republicans disagree with Cruz's and Lee's strategy of using the threat of a government shutdown to stop funding Obamacare, since they do not have the votes to approve the bill in the Democratic-controlled Senate and Obama has said he will veto it.

But pressure from the two senators as well as outside groups affiliated with the conservative Tea Party movement led the Republican-led House to pass a spending bill that included a provision to defund Obamacare.

"It's my understanding that the reason you don't want to send a bill over to the House who could possibly put in place some very good policies for us here, is that you want the American people and the outside groups that you've been in contact with to be able to watch us tomorrow," Corker said.

The Senate is expected to vote on Friday on a bill to keep the government funded through mid-November. The legislation will then go back to the House where Republicans are expected to attach other Republican-friendly provisions.

Someone in the Republican party actually calling Cruz on his bullshit. My word. I think my feet are a little cold.

Signing the treaty doesnt mean that they have to give up their nukes. Hell, the US and Russia have signed the treaty and we sure havent given up our nukes. Its a treaty to stop the spread of nuclear weapon technology and strongly suggest that nations disarm their nukes.

My understanding is the treaty would have to be revised to allow their nukes. The NPT only allows France, UK, Russia, China and US the bomb.

Its the reason why India wont accede.

Then they'll switch to Osama bin Laden. Or Dracula. Gotta have some kind of villain to compare other politicians to.

I'm just sick of overblown political examples. More movies and TV shows.
There was a karate kid reference the other day I was fond of.

All this legit talk of US-Iran relationship becoming friendly took me by surprise. I knew Rouhani was a moderate, but I didn't know how eager he was to build bridges back with US. Rouhani predicts "3 to 6" months till the complete agreement is signed with the international governing body and the thawing of relationship between USA and Iran. As a sign of how fast things are moving, John Kerry is set to meet his Iranian counterpart next week. Last time the US secretary of state sat down with Iranian foreign minister was 30 years ago after the Iranian students stormed US embassy when Jimmy Carter was the President and Obama was the leader of the doobie gang in college. This is crazy, and outta nowhere. If all the right moves happen, it will be the greatest accomplishment of Obama presidency even dwarfing signature domestic accomplishments or killing of UBL.

Only thing that can throw cold water on this positive tune is Israel. Israel has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose with a US friendly with Iran.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All this legit talk of US-Iran relationship becoming friendly took me by surprise. I knew Rouhani was a moderate, but I didn't know how eager he was to build bridges back with US. Rouhani predicts "3 to 6" months till the complete agreement is signed with the international governing body and the thawing of relationship between USA and Iran. As a sign of how fast things are moving, John Kerry is set to meet his Iranian counterpart next week. Last time the US secretary of state sat down with Iranian foreign minister was 30 years ago after the Iranian students stormed US embassy when Jimmy Carter was the President and Obama was the leader of the doobie gang in college. This is crazy, and outta nowhere. If all the right moves happen, it will be the greatest accomplishment of Obama presidency even dwarfing signature domestic accomplishments or killing of UBL.

Only thing that can throw cold water on this positive tune is Israel. Israel has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose with a US friendly with Iran.

There isn't a lot they can do I hope, Rouhani isn't a crazy guy so they can't go on about how he wants to kill them all. Shit he wished them a happy new year. I don't think they have a leg to stand on when it comes to derailing this.

There isn't a lot they can do I hope, Rouhani isn't a crazy guy so they can't go on about how he wants to kill them all. Shit he wished them a happy new year. I don't think they have a leg to stand on when it comes to derailing this.

Michael Oren (outgoing Israeli FM) who I detest with every fiber of my being was bombastic and accusatory towards Iran, throwing everything he could at them ("remember, THEY WANNA WIPE OUT THE ISRAELS!!!") when the reporter mentioned positive signals from Rouhani and the renewed prospect of peace. It's like he absolutely did not want it to happen, but had to word it in a PC manner.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Michael Oren (outgoing Israeli FM) who I detest with every fiber of my being was bombastic and accusatory towards Iran, throwing everything he could at them ("remember, THEY WANNA WIPE OUT THE ISRAELS!!!") when the reporter mentioned positive signals from Rouhani and the renewed prospect of peace. It's like he absolutely did not want it to happen, but had to word it in a PC manner.

Yea I know they really don't want it to happen, but right now they don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to stopping it. Rouhani is basically the exact opposite of Ahmadinejad when it comes to their foreign policies. Israel can't really run their "THEY WANT TO KILL US ALL," thing when Rouhani is wishing them a happy Jewish new year and doing his part to thaw his nation's relations with us. Anyone with eyes and ears will call them out on it. They'll just look stupid if they try and keep it up.

Oops looks like I was off in the meeting of Kerry with Iranian FM...that meeting actually happened today! (this thing is officially moving at lightspeed now)
(CNN) -- It's been more than 30 years since high-level officials from the United States and Iran sat down together to talk face-to-face.

That drought ended Thursday.

READ: One day, U.S. and Iranian presidents might shake hands

Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif met in New York as part of a meeting between the Middle Eastern country and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany.
Ashton: Tone of Iran talk changed
Rouhani: Nuclear disarmament a priority
Hassan Rouhani full interview
Israel Amb.: Accepting Holocaust low bar

Both diplomats described as "constructive" the meeting, which explored the idea of restarting talks on Iran's nuclear program.

"We hope to be able to make progress towards resolving this issue in a timely fashion based on respecting the rights of the Iranian people to nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, including enrichment. And, at the same time, making sure that there is no concern at the international level that Iran's nuclear program is anything but peaceful," Zarif told reporters after the meeting.

Kerry, likewise, sounded cautiously optimistic.

"I think all of us were pleased that Foreign Minister Zarif came and made a presentation to us, which was very different in tone and very different in the vision that he held out with respect to the possibilities of the future," Kerry said.

"There's a lot of work to be done, so we will engage in that work obviously and we hope very, very much -- all of us -- that we can get concrete results that will answer the outstanding questions regarding the program," he added.

Zarif made a 15- to 20-minute presentation, a senior State Department official told CNN, laying out what Iran's interests were and his nation's desire to reach agreement with other nations and fully implement that agreement within a year. The State Department official called Zarif's presentation "thoughtful."

Outside of the larger meeting, Kerry and Zarif also had a short bilateral discussion.

"We stressed the need to continue these discussions to give it the political impetus that it requires, and hopefully to reach a conclusion in a reasonable time," Zarif said. "I'm satisfied with this first step. Now we have to see whether we can match our positive words with serious deeds so that we can move forward."

Such a high-level meeting involving the United States and Iran hasn't happened since Iran's 1979 revolution, which sent relations between the two into a deep freeze.

But the election of new Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, widely seen as more moderate than his predecessor, seems to have opened the possibility of a thaw in relations.

Rouhani made comments this week that have led many leaders to conclude there is a chance to strike a nuclear accord between Iran and the other nations.

He called on Thursday for an end to nuclear weapons, saying such disarmament "remains our highest priority."

"As long as nuclear weapons exist, the risk of their use, threat of use and proliferation persist," Rouhani told the U.N. General Assembly on behalf of the Non-Aligned Movement. "The only absolute guarantee is their total elimination."

READ: Iranians warm to possible thaw in relations after president's remarks

The recent developments prompted President Barack Obama to dispatch Kerry to seek a deal with Tehran.

The United States and other world powers have long said they believe Iran wants nuclear weapons. Iran has said it only wants to harness nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

Obama said on Tuesday that curbing Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons, along with solving the Middle East conflict between Israel and the Palestinians, would be his highest foreign policy priority for the remainder of his term.

"While these issues are not the cause of all the region's problems, they have been a major source of instability for far too long, and resolving them can help serve as a foundation for a broader peace," he said during his address on the opening day of the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

Obama sounded cautious about any possible breakthrough, saying "the roadblocks may prove to be too great, but I firmly believe the diplomatic path must be tested."

Senior administration officials said Obama made the decision to appoint Kerry his point man on Iran to demonstrate an increased emphasis and importance the president is putting on improved relations with Tehran.
See who mentions Iran on FacebookSee who mentions Iran on Facebook

Until now, negotiations have been held at lower levels. But raising the dialogue through Kerry was intended to reiterate Obama's openness to move forward with a bilateral approach on Iran.

Upon taking office, Rouhani appointed Foreign Minister Zarif, a western-educated former ambassador to the United Nations, as his lead nuclear negotiator. The move was similarly seen as a gesture at improving relations with the West.

In his speech to the General Assembly, Rouhani said Iran was prepared for immediate nuclear talks that are "time-bound and result-oriented ... to build mutual confidence and removal of mutual uncertainties."

The Iranian leader also said he listened carefully to Obama's speech and hoped the United States "will refrain from following the shortsighted interests of warmongering pressure groups" so the two nations "can arrive at a framework to manage our differences."
I like how he called Republicans and Israeli neocons "warmongering pressure groups".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oops looks like I was off in the meeting of Kerry with Iranian FM...that meeting actually happened today! (this thing is officially moving at lightspeed now)

I like how he called Republicans and Israeli neocons "warmongering pressure groups".

Wow, that is moving really fast. Next thing you know we'll have an embassy and Obama will be going for a visit.
Joking obviously, but damn. Permission to get a little confident?

That line made me laugh. Dude called it like everyone sees it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Cruz's office defended the delay and said it was better that the debate play out in the full light of day so the American people know exactly what is happening.

"America will be watching closely which senators vote to allow Democrats to fully fund Obamacare, and the vote should be carried out in the open for all to see," Cruz's office said.
Gee, I wonder where this call for transparency was when Republicans voted for anti-abortion and voter ID laws in states like NC and Cruz's own Texas in the cover of night.

I can't wait to be rid of this guy. Thankfully, it looks like he's in full kamikaze mode now.

Samk

Strategically, it would be uncomfortable for Israel to have Iran, a country that has stated that want to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth, to become friendly with the US. That said, I would hope that Israel would see the benefit of a potentially friendly Iran. I've read up a little on Rouhani and he seems to be not only a rational actor, but one versed enough in geopolitics to know how to broker lasting agreements.

A more peaceful Mid East benefits everyone, Israel included.

Jooney

Wendy David reportedly running for Texas Governor.

Democratic state Sen. Wendy Davis, whose June filibuster of a Texas abortion bill gained her national headlines, is reportedly running for governor. The Los Angeles Times, citing Democratic sources, says Davis will announce her candidacy next week.

Davis, 50, hopes to succeed Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who is retiring at the end of his third term. If she gets the Democratic nomination, Davis would likely face Republican Greg Abbott, the state attorney general.

Davis' chances in red Texas are still to be seen. The New York Times, which also cited Democratic sources in reporting that Davis would run, put it this way:

"Ms. Davis's decision has the potential to turn the race to determine Gov. Rick Perry's successor into a rare competitive showdown between long-suffering Texas Democrats and the Republican conservatives who have ruled state politics for decades. She would enter the race as a substantial underdog, but her candidacy would represent the most serious challenge to the Republican lock on the office. Two Republicans, Mr. Perry and George W. Bush, have held the office since the party began its winning streak in governor's races in 1994, with Mr. Bush's victory over the incumbent, Ann W. Richards."

Any commentary from Texas-GAF on her chances? I was travelling through Austin at the time of the SB-5 rallies and she was incredibly popular. But it would be great to gain insight on her chances at a statewide race in a traditionally red state.

Sibylus

Banned
My thoughts:

• This news is out there already, publicity campaign or no publicity campaign. Trying to keep the figures hush-hush will deal huge amounts of damage to the credibility of the climate sciences in the short and medium term amongst the population. Under no circumstances should that approach be taken.
  • Even if there were no temperature plateau... big oil won all the political battles that count. Climate change is a loser up until the point that a lot of people lose fortunes and their lives. That isn't to say that trying is futile, but it's going to take decades (at optimistic minimum) to redirect the course of industrialized civilization.

The report is still being published.

Richard Mueller (former skeptic) had a good editorial in the NY Times about the issue. Essentially, he felt a plateau was to be expected. The earth warms in fits & starts. It's like climbing a staircase.

She'll lose, badly. 54-46.

Will help register democrats to vote and build some connections at the least, I guess.
For a Texas Democrat that's pretty good. Obama got 41% last year. Bill White got 42% in 2010.

There's a long game here. No one
reasonable
is expecting Texas to turn blue in 2014. But lay that foundation in 2014 and it could happen by 2016. Or 2018. There's no magic threshold of Hispanic voters that Democrats need to hit before they can nominate milquetoast candidates and pull out an easy win. Energizing candidates like Wendy Davis or the Castro brothers on the other hand will excite the base and their totals will inch closer and closer to 50+1.

And of course, there's always the off chance that she does win, and that victory can't be understated.

Even if there were no temperature plateau... big oil won all the political battles that count. Climate change is a loser up until the point that a lot of people lose fortunes and their lives. That isn't to say that trying is futile, but it's going to take decades (at optimistic minimum) to redirect the course of industrialized civilization.
"Big Oil" hasn't won anything. Waxman-Markey would've passed the Senate in the 111th if it weren't for the filibuster.

relaxor

what?
Was this bit of lol posted already?

DeMint thinks the election results don't accurately reflect national sentiment and therefore can't be used to argue against his desire to move the party to the right. True conservatism never got a hearing -- particularly not in regard to Obamacare, which was, after all, modeled after a Massachusetts law signed by Romney. "Because of Romney and Romneycare, we did not litigate the Obamacare issue," he says. Essentially, DeMint is declaring a mistrial.

This makes almost too much sense.

I love this. Yes, Romney being the candidate was very stupid for this reason, and of course Republicans being so un-self-aware as to not see it was a major source of humor. But that's on them.

My thoughts:

• This news is out there already, publicity campaign or no publicity campaign. Trying to keep the figures hush-hush will deal huge amounts of damage to the credibility of the climate sciences in the short and medium term amongst the population. Under no circumstances should that approach be taken.
  • Even if there were no temperature plateau... big oil won all the political battles that count. Climate change is a loser up until the point that a lot of people lose fortunes and their lives. That isn't to say that trying is futile, but it's going to take decades (at optimistic minimum) to redirect the course of industrialized civilization.

For what it's worth, the US military is aware of the global threats posed by climate change and has run simulation exercises with climate scientists over last ditch plans to prevent catastrophic temperature rises. No one really expects global industrial society to undertake the complete overhaul required to stop it, but they are trying to figure out if they can prevent the worst-case scenarios. Unfortunately, it only delays the inevitable for a time and continues to propagate the myth that nothing is wrong, thus potentially preventing a reactive worldwide effort caused by significant changes. The world's oceans have likely passed the tipping point acidification wise already though and that can't really be unwound. They are evaluating the feasibility of jellyfish replacing standard marine food sources in a mass extinction event though.

Chichikov

Is FM = foreign minister?
Michael Oren is the outgoing ambassador to the UN, not the foreign minister, Israel doesn't have a foreign minister right now for reasons which are too depressing to talk about.

Also, of course they don't want it to happen, whenever people seem to notice that Netanyahu is kinda crap in that whole governing thing, he ZOMG IRAN COMES TO BOMB YOU WITH NUCLEAR BOMBS 2ND HOLOCAUST CODE AUSCHWITZ to distract them.
He can't have people asking why he's running the same economic game-plan as Bush II.

So with MMT and similar theories, does it make autarky or at least less freer markets more realistic in todays world? Because instead of focusing on making packs for people investing in your economy you can just have the state create large projects to inflate and destroy money in to the economy correct?
Really? Nobody at all? I won't quote it again, but I'd figure MMT GAF would love to explain this.

Sibylus

Banned
"Big Oil" hasn't won anything. Waxman-Markey would've passed the Senate in the 111th if it weren't for the filibuster.
By won, I mean the status quo is solidly in their corner be it legally, culturally, and most definitely in economic terms (and may be for decades). There's hope on the margins, but I have to wonder if the wells will run dry before we politically turn the ship. Or run low enough that we have to ration gas for military and industrial ends.

For what it's worth, the US military is aware of the global threats posed by climate change and has run simulation exercises with climate scientists over last ditch plans to prevent catastrophic temperature rises. No one really expects global industrial society to undertake the complete overhaul required to stop it, but they are trying to figure out if they can prevent the worst-case scenarios. Unfortunately, it only delays the inevitable for a time and continues to propagate the myth that nothing is wrong, thus potentially preventing a reactive worldwide effort caused by significant changes. The world's oceans have likely passed the tipping point acidification wise already though and that can't really be unwound. They are evaluating the feasibility of jellyfish replacing standard marine food sources in a mass extinction event though.
Oh, I have no doubt that there are a myriad of contingencies that could be undertaken. It's just the number of deaths and devastation that will likely prove necessary to get everyone on the same page... it's not a pleasant thought. I've said it before, but I no longer wonder what it must have been like for the Romans of antiquity to stare into the abyss of their civilization, only decades removed. I'm at least confident that we can rebound much faster (paper and digital ink have their uses~).

So with MMT and similar theories, does it make autarky or at least less freer markets more realistic in todays world? Because instead of focusing on making packs for people investing in your economy you can just have the state create large projects to inflate and destroy money in to the economy correct?

Really? Nobody at all? I won't quote it again, but I'd figure MMT GAF would love to explain this.

I don't know that there's anything to explain. MMT at an empirical level just describes what exists. It doesn't make anything more or less realistic.

I don't know that there's anything to explain. MMT at an empirical level just describes what exists. It doesn't make anything more or less realistic.

In most economic theories nations follow, countries can't spend too much money because they will run into debt. Yes you can build all of this crazy shit, but eventually you will have to pay it back. You can't spend a shit ton of money while trying to control inflation at the same time. Debt prevents that because while you may always be able to reach a nice median between inflation and spending, you will always have to worry about debt. This is why nations usually focus on having other nations invest in their economies so they can build up trade (it one of the reasons at least). Since MMT removes debt would it make a nation need other nations less than they do now?

By won, I mean the status quo is solidly in their corner be it legally, culturally, and most definitely in economic terms (and may be for decades).
I disagree. The issue of global warming is now a more partisan issue than it is oil manipulating anything. Coal is a bigger problem to tackle than oil, too.

Not a lot of people are fans of oil companies. That's why Obama has worked with car manufacturers to increase MPG, and why Waxman-Markey would've passed the Senate without the filibuster. In political terms, coal was actually the bigger obstacle to that bill than oil.
There's hope on the margins, but I have to wonder if the wells will run dry before we politically turn the ship. Or run low enough that we have to ration gas for military and industrial ends.
Who's "we" here?

Is FM = foreign minister?
Michael Oren is the outgoing ambassador to the UN, not the foreign minister, Israel doesn't have a foreign minister right now for reasons which are too depressing to talk about.

Also, of course they don't want it to happen, whenever people seem to notice that Netanyahu is kinda crap in that whole governing thing, he ZOMG IRAN COMES TO BOMB YOU WITH NUCLEAR BOMBS 2ND HOLOCAUST CODE AUSCHWITZ to distract them.
He can't have people asking why he's running the same economic game-plan as Bush II.
Oh shit you're right. Hes the ambassador to the UN. I am seeing this guy for years but never knew he wasnt the fm.

Diablos

Wendy Davis reportedly running for Texas Governor.
[ftfy, it's Davis.]

Any commentary from Texas-GAF on her chances? I was travelling through Austin at the time of the SB-5 rallies and she was incredibly popular. But it would be great to gain insight on her chances at a statewide race in a traditionally red state.
Oh man if she wins that would be glorious.

She has the good looks and personality necessary in really tight races to help one win.

When it comes to paying the nation’s debts on time, Rep. John Fleming (R-FL) prefers to trust his gut rather than heed the unanimous warnings of professional economists. “Economists, what have they been doing?” the three-term congressman said in the New York Times on Friday. “They make all sorts of predictions.”

“Many times they’re wrong, so I don’t think we should run government based on economists’ predictions,” Fleming added.

....How do people this fucking stupid get elected!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom