• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonercop

Yes, especially in a fragile economy. Think the impact of the sequester, multiplied several times over.

I don't think the seqeuster would cause a lot of harm if it only went into effect for a couple days. I'm just saying, it seems like shutting down the government would inconvenience a lot of people and be a political blunder for the GOP... but I wouldn't call it a disaster with massive long-term consequences like defaulting would be.

ivysaur12

Banned
It was really nice for this to happen right as we shut down for the season.

God, at this rate, we'll be renewed and back before my unemployment claim processes if we shut down. Thank god I have money saved up, but fuck off, Ted Cruz. You monster. You absolute monster.

You're not actually doing anything! You won't get what you want! You are petty, loud, narcissistic children.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Lets file that under things that make you go

iHc8jLv.gif

I am a little shocked Boehner is letting his caucus dictate this shut down when it could be so easily adverted, he has to know they'll get blamed for it. Why even bother?

Lets file that under things that make you go

iHc8jLv.gif

I am a little shocked Boehner is letting his caucus dictate this shut down when it could be so easily adverted, he has to know they'll get blamed for it. Why even bother?

Because the GOP thinks they can make it so they won't get blamed for it. And they'll fundraise some $$$ off of it (so will the Democrats).

So looking at who the shutdown impacts...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101070568

Its like a GOP dream list.

Their jets don't get delayed, because nothing changes at airport.

Their medichecks keep coming in.

Their security complex gets paid, because the department of Homeland terror keeps chugging.

But WIC and social services get cut.

I really don't understand it. Wouldn't it make sense to cut 50% of TSA and ATC so that flights experience 10 hours delays? Without steps like that, Joe Ignorant gets to say "hey look, government shut down and nothing changed, government sucks"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... Delay the aca for a year and fund the government for 75, days? Really?

I feel like Republicans maybe hoping to find a "negotiation and compromise" opening if Dems publicly say 75 days is the outrageous part of the bill. Luckily the dems haven't falled for it. The first bill that defunded the aca completely only had 75 days spending in it too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because the GOP thinks they can make it so they won't get blamed for it.

Boehner has to know that there is no way this happens. The Senate and Obama can point right at him and House Republicans as being unreasonable. I doubt even FOX News will be able to spin it as something other than the GOP shutting down the government.

GhaleonEB

I don't think the seqeuster would cause a lot of harm if it only went into effect for a couple days. I'm just saying, it seems like shutting down the government would inconvenience a lot of people and be a political blunder for the GOP... but I wouldn't call it a disaster with massive long-term consequences like defaulting would be.

I did not say it would be a disaster with long term consequences. But far from mere inconvenience, it would drain a lot of funds from the economy for the duration of the shutdown. Not to mention the actual impact on people's lives (loans not being granted, government workers not getting paid, services not provided). It would bash a pretty good dent into the economy, for the duration of the shutdown and a while after. Especially given how weak things are, it would have a notable effect.

But... The WMDs never existed.

WHERE IS YOUR METAPHOR NOW?!
i don't know!!!! I'm trying :(

Maybe this is an explanation?
The reaction was “overwhelmingly positive,” in the words of one person in the room. “Beautiful” is how Representative Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia put it.

At one point, Representative John Culberson of Texas, whose aide had only last week confronted a top aide to Senator Ted Cruz over strategy, yelled “Let’s roll!,” an allusion to a rallying cry used by Todd Bremer on a hijacked plane in the September 11 attacks.
http://m.nationalreview.com/corner/...hey-head-toward-impasse-obama-jonathan-strong

yeeeeeeeehaw I guess?

Boehner has to know that there is no way this happens. The Senate and Obama can point right at him and House Republicans as being unreasonable. I doubt even FOX News will be able to spin it as something other than the GOP shutting down the government.

Come on, now.

Fox News managed to somehow spin Osama getting killed.

This is child's play.

kingkitty

Dumb fucks. US troops won't get paid during shutdown. So my own pap who's in Afghanistan might not get his paycheck. Around 800,000 civilians in the Department of Defense will be put on unpaid leave. I have paperwork I need to do with the military in order to get my mom back to Korea and now that will be put on the back burner if there's a shutdown.

Even if there is a shutdown, hopefully it isn't for long. Still, just a bunch of dumb fucks.

Seems like that medical device tax could get through if republicans really wanted it to. Include Obamacare funding+eliminate medical device tax, seems like that could pass the senate.

Now we wait and see what democrats do I guess, and who the public sides with.
Hell, that already passed in the Senate. The Democrats included it in their budget.

Klobuchar and Franken have been big proponents of it seeing as how most medical device manufacturers are in Minnesota.

So basically the senate will vote on Monday and send the same bill as before back to the house. And thus it lies on the house again. This is so dumb.

pigeon

Banned
I really don't understand it. Wouldn't it make sense to cut 50% of TSA and ATC so that flights experience 10 hours delays? Without steps like that, Joe Ignorant gets to say "hey look, government shut down and nothing changed, government sucks"

Well, for starters, we have no control over what gets cut in a shutdown. If something's mandatory spending, it continues; if it's discretionary, it stops.

But I also think you're misreading this. When the Grand Canyon gets shut down, people notice right away. (In fairness, last time Arizona footed the bill to keep it open, but the principle's the same -- the Washington Monument, the Statue of Liberty, and every national park are all discretionary appropriations.) When active duty military personnel don't get checks, red state voters hear about that. Nobody is going to say that the government shut down and nothing changed. Everybody's going to know somebody who's going to be affected.

They definitely could have gotten just a repeal of the medical device tax if they really wanted. I guess they think they can win this politically.

Nah.

Also, GOP leadership will not whip for the bill. Sounds like they don't need to anyway.

If Boehner was enthusiastic about this path, they'd be whipping. This is him giving them rope -- if there aren't enough votes to pass the bill, then it dies in the House and he can bring up the compromise. If there are enough, he can give them a week of government shutdown, then bring up the compromise.

pigeon

Banned
I feel like Republicans maybe hoping to find a "negotiation and compromise" opening if Dems publicly say 75 days is the outrageous part of the bill. Luckily the dems haven't falled for it. The first bill that defunded the aca completely only had 75 days spending in it too.

The Senate bill has 45 days, so I don't think that's going to be a problem.

pigeon

Banned
Senate strips out everything but the tax repeal and the military nonsense. It passes the House.

Can't lose the medical device tax at this point in the negotiation, mostly because the debt ceiling is about to happen.

Here's hoping Ted Cruz filibusters the Senate's attempt to amend the bill.

pigeon

Banned
Can't lose the medical device tax at this point in the negotiation, mostly because the debt ceiling is about to happen.

Here's hoping Ted Cruz filibusters the Senate's attempt to amend the bill.

Actually, I take this back. The Senate doesn't have to pass another CR. I'm expecting Reid to move to table on Sunday and then leave town.

Instead of rising the minimum wage, why not just give everybody that makes under $50,000 in household income foodstamps? This is in order to combat all of the food we throw out and to stop hunger in this country once and for all.

Reid:
Senate will reject any attempt to force changes to the health care law through a government funding bill or the debt ceiling.

I guess they'll either table the House bill or strip the nonsense out tomorrow, and skip town.

I bet Manchin's name came out many times during the House meeting today. They seem to think this can work, but when it fails tomorrow will they back down? Seems unlikely.

kingkitty

It's so nice and generous of the Republicans to offer funding for the military during a government shutdown. Great for my interests, and it might help the optics a teeny bit for the Republicans if troops aren't left without pay. But what about civilians? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "The Democrats forced our hand!"

The sooner the tea party disappears the better, although for their gerrymandered districts this garbage might play well.

pigeon

Banned
Instead of rising the minimum wage, why not just give everybody that makes under $50,000 in household income foodstamps? This is in order to combat all of the food we throw out and to stop hunger in this country once and for all.

It's a good plan, although I would probably just give them cash. There's no particular advantage to creating an alternate form of money only useful for specific purchases, with all the infrastructure that entails, when those purchases are things that everybody has to purchase every day anyway.

It's a good plan, although I would probably just give them cash. There's no particular advantage to creating an alternate form of money only useful for specific purchases, with all the infrastructure that entails, when those purchases are things that everybody has to purchase every day anyway.

I think of it in a way that no matter what happens in the future, people will always have the food stamps to spend food on. Think of Social Security of Medicare. Have wages went down so it is more difficult for people to save their money? Yes. However despite that there is always a safety net to greatly aid people when they become too old to work. A politiian tries to touch it? Political suicide. I see food stamps for all as a similar thing. Wages may go down in the future but they will always be able to more or less afford food. Try and touch it? Political suicide.

Don't you get it? if you give the poors cash over food stamps, they'll buy drugs and booze and not food. And with all the food stamp fraud that druggies and boozers get, we need to cut down food stamps.

In fact, just make the poor pay for our food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom