• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

What are they thinking? They don't want a compromise.

I love how conservatives are spinning this as public opinion is on the GOP's side. Public opinion will also blame the House GOP for a government shut down, sometime that the public is vehemently opposed to. It's not a hard concept to understand.

The real fear is that Obamacare is successfully implemented and people realize the world won't end and the lies they've been told are nothing more than boogeyman stories.

Also:

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly who will be blamed.

Well, people with a functional neuron will know who to blame. Everyone else will blame Obama.

Thanks, Obama.

God, Republicans just need to fuck right off.

I'll extend the courtesy to the few "moderate" Republicans who aren't obsessed with manufacturing crises every three months, but really, every Republican in the House or Senate right now has been guilty of it at one point.

pigeon

Banned
Well, it can't be three-dimensional checkers if the fringe is running the show. Besides, Robert Costa has said that the leadership is being reactive here, not active.

I don't really understand what's going on in this discussion, to be honest.

Boehner's goal is to run the government and keep his job. Running the government requires doing rational things; keeping his job requires negotiating with eighty total nutjobs. Because the Hastert Rule makes it very difficult for Boehner to do rational things, it can reasonably be said that the fringe is running the Republican Party; however, it's quite possible that Boehner is trying to find a strategy that will pacify the nutjobs while allowing him to do rational things, thus, three-dimensional checkers. This would also, of course, create the impression that the leadership is being reactive -- managing disagreeing and partially insane power blocs requires a lot of reactiveness.

None of these points are contradictory!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
God, Republicans just need to fuck right off.

I'll extend the courtesy to the few "moderate" Republicans who aren't obsessed with manufacturing crises every three months, but really, every Republican in the House or Senate right now has been guilty of it at one point.

What moderates?

No, seriously.

GOP representatives voted unanimously to repeal obamacare back in May. There are no moderates. They are unanimously batshit insane

I don't really understand what's going on in this discussion, to be honest.
We're discussing whether the Republican leadership has some sort of master plan in all of this. I think it's unlikely because leadership is panicking and reacting at every obstacle. Everything I've seen out of Robert Costa doesn't suggest three-dimensional checkers.

pigeon

Banned
On the topic of the House Republican's long-term political plan regarding the shutdown:

wapo said:
For now, at least, Boehner, Cantor and other top lieutenants have ruled out the prospect of seeking out Democratic votes to help them pass a simple funding bill and keep the government open, their advisers said. But as Republicans prepared to vote late Saturday, some lawmakers acknowledged that they had no idea what would happen if the Senate follows through on its threat to reject their latest offering.

“It comes back to us, I guess,” said Rep. Phil Gingrey (Ga.), one of the more conservative Republicans and a candidate for Senate in 2014. “We really didn’t talk about exactly what the plan would be then.”

Let's roll?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4de6-2859-11e3-9256-41f018d21b49_story_1.html

I must say earlier this evening I was a bit concerned about how this would all play out, whether Obama might fold afterall, etc. But after reading the contraceptive news I'm once again 100% confident this will end in right wing tears.

Way to fuck your entire "economy" message, GOP.

Didn't you have train issues a few days ago? lol

My train was early last weekend

It's normal going from VA north. Gotta switch from Diesel to Electric motors north of DC. Other issue was issues north of NYC. Goddless libruls making my trains late.

Thanks.

Oh my god. This woman. She can't even see the irony in her tweet.

The "been in a bad pissed off mood all weekend so far" part of me wants to respond, but the logical and more intelligent and level headed part of me says it's a bad idea.

I think I just want to yell at someone.

How does this work :S

GdZSgRV.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Unfortunately, I feel like the GOP would win the public opinion battle. A government shutdown supports the GOP's whole "government doesn't work!" mantra.

Libertarian Republicans have a good gig going: they deliberately try to keep the government from working, which creates more anti-government sentiment in the electorate, which allows for the election of more anti-government nutcases, which helps them keep the government from working.

You can't govern when one party has a vested interest in the government not working. Today's Republican Party should be outlawed and its leaders arrested for treason.

Most polls show the overwhelming majority of the public blaming the GOP for a potential shutdown, even if they don't love Obamacare.

Wilsongt

I restate what I said a few thread ago, but I have never seen a bigger bunch of ignorant, moronic, and downright stupid group of people in my entire life, and I teach freshman who have been in the "No Child Left Behind" program since elementary school.

I restate what I said a few thread ago, but I have never seen a bigger bunch of ignorant, moronic, and downright stupid group of people in my entire life, and I teach freshman who have been in the "No Child Left Behind" program since elementary school.

At least you still have the opportunity to help these kids.

This is what happens when you let people who "you'd love to have a beer with" run your goddamned country, over, you know, the people who are infinitely more qualified.

At least you still have the opportunity to help these kids.

This is what happens when you let people who "you'd love to have a beer with" run your goddamned country, over, you know, the people who are infinitely more qualified.

Tea partiers: The people PoliGAF most wants to have beers with!

ivysaur12

Banned
I hope so, but there's often a difference between what people say beforehand and what actually happens.

I mean, we always hear people will blame the GOP for this or that, but then you look at the GOP's approval ratings & Obama's...

Eh? As of a few weeks ago, Republicans in congress had a 21% approval rating. Democrats had a 31% approval rating. Obama has a 43% approval rating, and even that's one of the lowest he's ever had.

Yet even as his health law remains unpopular, Mr. Obama has a majority of the public on his side when it comes to the Republican effort to stop funding for the program. As some Congressional Republicans try to link spending on the health law to the Oct. 1 deadline for keeping the federal government running, 56 percent of Americans say they prefer that Congress uphold what has become known as Obamacare and make it work as well as possible.

Just 38 percent of the public wants Congress to stop the law by cutting off funding. And even among those Americans who would prefer to stop funding the program rather than improve it, there is a divide over whether it is worth risking a government shutdown to do so. Nearly half the independents who support cutting off money for the program say it is not worth that risk.

The survey also suggests that Republicans could pay a political price going into next year’s midterm elections if there is a government shutdown. Eight in 10 Americans find it unacceptable for either the president or members of Congress to shut down the government to achieve their goals during budget negotiations. And while half the country sees Mr. Obama as working with Republicans, only one in four Americans see Congressional Republicans as working with the president to get things done.

A plurality say they would blame Congressional Republicans if a shutdown occurred.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/us/politics/obamas-approval-rating-matches-two-year-low-poll-shows.html?pagewanted=all

Diablos

Uhh, that's LITERALLY what happened yesterday. After his announcement that he talked with the Iranian President he went in for 10 minutes about what a government shutdown meant and how it could be avoided and basically said "Congress needs to stop this nonsense and do their jobs"
Yeah, I know. He needs to get pissed. Call them out for what they are. Every tactic, every stall, and speak right to the core of how insane the Tea Party is and just rip into them.

95% of the time I am impressed with Obama's relatively cool, calm and collected political style but this needs to be a rare time in his Presidency where he just gets pissed the fuck off and starts screaming at the GOP like we've never seen before.

JCizzle

Yeah, I know. He needs to get pissed. Call them out for what they are. Every tactic, every stall, and speak right to the core of how insane the Tea Party is and just rip into them.

95% of the time I am impressed with Obama's relatively cool, calm and collected political style but this needs to be a rare time in his Presidency where he just gets pissed the fuck off and starts screaming at the GOP like we've never seen before.

I'm hoping he's speaking with Bill daily re: how to handle the next few days/weeks.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious about this "the public hates obamacare" poll. I know if you split it up into parts people like it, and if you call it the ACA people like it, but is there a poll that asks if you like obamacare over doing nothing?

I mean a lot of people I talk to don't really like Obamacare, including myself and a lot of people here, but we do think it's better than the emergency room option or the let them die on the street option. And when Republicans vote to repeal that's exactly what they're voting for.

I'm curious about this "the public hates obamacare" poll. I know if you split it up into parts people like it, and if you call it the ACA people like it, but is there a poll that asks if you like obamacare over doing nothing?

I mean a lot of people I talk to don't really like Obamacare, including myself and a lot of people here, but we do think it's better than the emergency room option or the let them die on the street option. And when Republicans vote to repeal that's exactly what they're voting for.

I assure you they fully (don't) intend to replace it with their (horrible) Republican Study Commission plan immediately (never) upon repeal.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So when was the last time Republicans had any ideas that didn't involve restricting people's rights/livelihood in some way?

Wait are they voting on the Military Pay then the CR? Is there debate in between?

@robertcostaNRO
"Let it shut down. May be a day, maybe a wk. But fight is worth it." That's what one R member told me on steps. Others said similar

@robertcostaNRO 7m
after running against Obamacare all of '10, '11, '12, and most of '13, most House Rs are just unwilling to budge and cut smaller deal

@robertcostaNRO 12m
H. Action barely tolerates 'delay O'care' plan (which will soon die in Sen). Reflects Right dislike for *anything* that doesn't kill law

They're seriously doing this. #collectmytrash

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
These motherfuckers don't even realize they have a country to run, they're too busy bickering over things like abortion and contraception and playing up to their base.

If I was a congressional democrat I'd be trolling republicans on the floor, noting that they were about to vote on a CR that delays but preserves Obamacare - which could thus means they're voting for Obamacare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom