• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

Costa's doing good work here. It's not all that surprising, I guess, since the party establishment doesn't want a shutdown and NR is often pretty pro-establishment, but this is decent reporting.

481px-Dwight_D._Eisenhower%2C_official_photo_portrait%2C_May_29%2C_1959.jpg

Remember when the John Birch Society suggested Ike was a Manchurian Candidate for the Communists?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait are they voting on the Military Pay then the CR? Is there debate in between?

They're seriously doing this. #collectmytrash

I apparently keep being completely wrong. I heard about the Hastert Rule before, but never really thought much about it.

This situation is a lesson to me how important that rule is. I first thought Boehner only needed 17 out of 233 republicans to join him to avoid shutdown. Turns out he needs 117.

Costa's doing good work here. It's not all that surprising, I guess, since the party establishment doesn't want a shutdown and NR is often pretty pro-establishment, but this is decent reporting.

Agreed. He just noted something we've discussed before

Boehner's talent as speaker is 'aw shucks' style that creates light-hrtd vibe w/ members; whipping ability, tho, is limtd, esp during crisis

He undoubtedly had everyone excited today...but right now things are looking like a circus. And if the CR passes tonight, in a week when he starts the retreat a lot of members will be furious.

Ultimately I think this was the plan though. His job is more secure if he falls on his sword after a tough battle. Boehner isn't dumb, he no doubt realizes this farce will end in failure. But at least his guys will be able to say he fought the good fight.

"@sahilkapur: 248-174, House votes to repeal Obamacare's medical device tax in the CR. It'd raise the deficit by $29 billion."

#deficit#deficit#deficit

Link

The Autumn Wind
Disgusting that they're separating out military personnel from everyone else. How much more transparent can you get?

Remember how Obama said he would cut the deficit by half in 4 years. It look a bit longer...but it has happened. Not that it was the right thing to do, but still...
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/09/deficit-falling-falling-falling

blog_deficit_cbo_2013.jpg
A big reason the deficit is falling is because the economy is improving, which means the government is getting more tax receipts and spending less on unemployment/welfare. Not to say that Obama hasn't had a hand in cutting the deficit with shit like the sequester, but there are positive indicators for the deficit dropping.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the Utah rep at minimum.

I think people are missing how much this congress is a radical change from precedent. This is a amazingly radical change in budgeting and process in the house. -

No kidding. This is why it's so important for the dems to hold steadfast and not allow even the smallest of compromise now, even if it's one they're willing to give, and for the American public to direct their anger in the right direction.

If Republicans come out of this with nothing to show but a lower approval rating, then this won't happen again. If they do find some sort of gain, then our government has just became much more unstable.

On the other side, I think Republicans might see this as the last stand against Obamacare, so who knows, maybe this one will be a record breaking doozy. I don't know what to expect anymore if Boehner has completely lost control.

Maybe the mint should start getting ready to print that trillion dollar coin. We might need it if republicans continue like this into the debt ceiling.

Link

The Autumn Wind
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans wanted to attach a repeal of the 13th Amendment to the next CR.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans wanted to attach a repeal of the 13th Amendment to the next CR.
Mississippi has been passing one year delays of the 13th amendment taking effect in Mississippi every year since 1863.

@sahilkapur 48s

Senate Ds will strike down tonight's amdmts and ping-pong the CR back. What'll House Rs do then? Per dozens of convos, they have no idea.

He also said that GOP leadership has not been discussing the Vitter amendment, which some commentators speculated could be the last ditch try.

Boehner's archetypical of the kind of Republicans that come from solid R districts around here: Township officials or businesspeople getting to congressional office and then working their way up to a point at which they become exposed as unable to do their job.

Just took Boehner a lot, lot longer to get to that point.

ivysaur12

Banned
Boehner has proven himself to be utterly impotent in the face of teaparty. Is this the legacy he wants to take with him?

He's incapable of doing his job. He's incapable of whipping the Tea Party crazies into shape because of his (sometimes flimsy) adherence to the Hastert Rule.

He's a horrible speaker, but he's the wrong man to lead this Republican caucus. I'm just not sure if there is one in office right now who could. It's certainly not Cantor.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Costa is weird. He's an editor for the NRO, but he's on MSNBC all the time and hearing him speak, you would never think the dude's even a Republican, let alone one who works for one of the biggest right-wing news outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom