• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A high school, Grosse Point South High, paid Rick Santorum $18k to speak to the students.......

http://wonkette.com/513732/here-is-...lers-in-totally-non-political-way#more-513732

Not political at all, sure....I'd be pissed if I was a teacher at that school and saw my budget used on this nonsense.

Not political... lol.

They initially canceled the speaking engagement, then brought it back with the stipulation that parents had to sign permission slips for their kids to attend. What a joke. Needing a permission slip to hear about "leadership" is evidence enough that he won't be talking about leadership.

Way to go, Grosse Point, paying 1/3 of an average teacher's salary to get a bigoted politician to speak to your school for an hour or two. Money well spent.

PuRzQo4.png

*giggles to herself uncontrollably*

It's a good thing too, because if Hillary lost NH to either of those guys, she'd only be able to lose another 40 or so EVs before she'd be in danger of losing the election :(

It's a good thing too, because if Hillary lost NH to either of those guys, she'd only be able to lose another 40 or so EVs before she'd be in danger of losing the election :(
If Hillary doesn't win more than 400 electoral votes, it will be a referendum on Obama's failed policies.

If Hillary doesn't win more than 400 electoral votes, it will be a referendum on Obama's failed policies.

It is just too early. There will be game changers that happen between now & then such that nothing now really matters. Wars, economic booms, economic collapses, terrorist attacks, scandals, etc.

1% for Bobby Jindal?

Excellent.

4% for Santorum. It must suck to be the truest of true believers yet receive no support from people who should love you, at least on paper. He has done everything imaginable for the religious right, he was the first "major" candidate to campaign against the Iowa Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling, his kids are homeschooled, etc etc. I don't think voting for Bush's record is what has hurt him either; most republicans followed Bush lock step off the fiscal cliff.

There's just something very off putting about Santorum...probably because he's a true believer. I never got the impression Bush gave a shit about gay people getting married, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he supports it; Laura does. Same with Reagan, really. Santorum oozes hate and ignorance, and it's not pretty. I think religious right leaders realize it, and thus prefer to find more mainstream candidates who will pay them lip service while not being doe eyed believers.

gcubed

No one likes Santorum. He is hated and mocked in his own state, he's what you think of when you look at Sarah Palin and ask "how can this get any worse?"

It's Bill Clinton. The picture was of all 5 living presidents.
Thank you.

Rest of you guys could really stand to tone down the smart-assery. I already admitted it was kind of embarrassing that I couldn't recognize him; I don't need four people trying to rub it in.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, can't wait tip Hilldawg becomes president.

Then we can finally join all those backwater muslim countries who've had female leaders for decades.

4% for Santorum. It must suck to be the truest of true believers yet receive no support from people who should love you, at least on paper. He has done everything imaginable for the religious right, he was the first "major" candidate to campaign against the Iowa Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling, his kids are homeschooled, etc etc. I don't think voting for Bush's record is what has hurt him either; most republicans followed Bush lock step off the fiscal cliff.

There's just something very off putting about Santorum...probably because he's a true believer. I never got the impression Bush gave a shit about gay people getting married, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he supports it; Laura does. Same with Reagan, really. Santorum oozes hate and ignorance, and it's not pretty. I think religious right leaders realize it, and thus prefer to find more mainstream candidates who will pay them lip service while not being doe eyed believers.
The big money people hate his populist aspect and don't care for the culture warrior nuttiness. The religious people have realized that he is an unelectable joke.

And I think you are right on Bush & Reagan. That said, if an anti-gay marriage amendment were in front of him, I'm sure Bush would sign it because that is the team's policy. Other than immigration, he pretty much toed the GOP line.

When the rich are inconvenienced, our political system moves at lightning speed.

With flight delays mounting, the Senate approved hurry-up legislation Thursday night to end air traffic controller furloughs blamed for inconveniencing large numbers of travelers.

A House vote on the measure was expected as early as Friday, with lawmakers eager to embark on a weeklong vacation.

Under the legislation, the Federal Aviation Administration would gain authority to transfer up to $253 million from accounts that are flush into other programs, to “prevent reduced operations and staffing” through the Sept. 30 end of the fiscal year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...27dac2-ae05-11e2-b240-9ef3a72c67cc_story.html

Heavens forbid the weeklong vacation is interrupted with flight delays.

Is this country officially a banana republic yet?

When the rich are inconvenienced, our political system moves at lightning speed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...27dac2-ae05-11e2-b240-9ef3a72c67cc_story.html

This is affecting much more than rich people.

Still don't understand why they didn't use this as leverage to roll back the sequester, that's what I'm mad at

I don't mind them mitigating the sequester because the whole idea is stupid though and is hurting the economy.

Oblivion

I briefly glanced over this yesterday, but this seems like a BFD:

[D]uring a call with reporters, Gil Kerlikowske, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, signaled that the administration's approach to marijuana going forward would deprioritize criminalization.... This acknowledgment -- that marijuana can, in fact, uproot lives and land individuals in the criminal-justice system -- is an important one, which up until now the White House has downplayed. [...]

But perhaps the most significant component of the new strategy is that the White House is making a commitment to work to reform laws and restrictions that penalize drug offenders by limiting their employment, housing and educational prospects.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/04/25/17913914-a-new-day-for-the-war-on-drugs?lite

"deprioritize criminalization"

What a weak statement. That said, I stand by my position of Barack Obama can't be the personal to legalize weed. Let the next person do it. We can't have the first black president be the guy legalizing weed. Fucking Bush should have done it, he smoked pot. He was just whipped by the social conservative base.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What a weak statement. That said, I stand by my position of Barack Obama can't be the personal to legalize weed. Let the next person do it. We can't have the first black president be the guy legalizing weed. Fucking Bush should have done it, he smoked pot. He was just whipped by the social conservative base.

You are absolutely right about that, at least it sounds like he's going to be trying to reform our drug laws.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
WOW. Doing research for a paper I found this Times article from 1970 about Kevin Phillips and the racial animosity that drove the GOP to power in the 1960/70s

Really fascinating reading this now in 2013 after everything he said has come to pass. He even gets the time right on when their racial (racist) coalition would fall apart (after 2004).

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/books/phillips-southern.pdf

It's uncanny. Some people seem to have been granted a time machine, luckily they use it for good and not to get a Sports Almanac from the future.

Angry Fork

How do you not recognize Bill Clinton lol, unless he's like 13 years old? But he recognized Carter... I don't understand.

Oblivion

Posted something about this last year. Got shit on since it was "business as usual"

So what, this won't really change anything?

So what, this won't really change anything?
It will change certain things. People forget how much words matter. Obama never said he thinks the federal government should support gay marriage but look what his words did. I don't think this will have the same effect but its something.

I don't know how much real change they can do without congress changing something or flatout ignoring the law (which I think is a horrible precedent).

They might be able to reschedule or funnel money to research.

A little off-topic but I was browsing old threads and found this gem.

It just makes me angry with how these topics play out. I feel that people often miss the bigger picture as cliche as that sounds.

Novid

Banned
Question for PoliGaf, did Obama miss the mark when he stated some time ago "that Education was going to be the next Civil Rights Movement?" because its clearly looks like its Gender and not the former.

alstein

That said, the weather at the airports is going to be much less reliable- as the FAA is continuing with its plans to kill weather observers, and give the job to automated machines that ATC's will correct (often incorrectly and inaccurately) as their 10th priority behind wiping their bottoms and sleeping at night.

Here's an example of how poorly they do it: Asheville, NC reported a waterspout last month during clear conditions. Regularly in Florida in July, you get snow. Just examples of the crap that will be spouted out and potentially cause a crash.

User 406

Banned
That said, I stand by my position of Barack Obama can't be the personal to legalize weed. Let the next person do it. We can't have the first black president be the guy legalizing weed.

Why on earth not? Because a bunch of racists will jump up and down and go "SEE?!?!?" Fuck 'em.

Ending the drug war is the first step in breaking our prison-industrial complex, and it needs to happen as soon as possible. If Obama manages to do it, that would be a good thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nice article in the wsj about how Spain is giving up austerity. Shocking that politicians are doing something right!

Fucking shitty to think people who were injured at the Boston Marathon Bombing will have to deal with thousands of dollars in medical costs.

FLEABttn

Banned
Fucking shitty to think people who were injured at the Boston Marathon Bombing will have to deal with thousands of dollars in medical costs.

I was told that it was insensitive of me to say that in conjunction with why that was a good reason for UHC. That I was taking advantage of a tragedy.

True story.

I was told that it was insensitive of me to say that in conjunction with why that was a good reason for UHC.

True story.

That's stupid. Aside from the infrequency of being harmed from an explosion detonated by a maniac, it's the same bad luck of getting in a car accident.

Do the insurance companies not cover acts of terrorism or something? If so, it's always an excuse to not cover something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom