• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're getting a bit ridiculous in your worries. What do you mean if you travel abroad? What do you think is going to happen to you? What does you doing something twenty years ago have to do with anything?

I'm not actually worried about myself since my life in unremarkable but just that because the Us doesn't do something or target its civilians other countries might find themselves eventually in position of the data and use it to intimidate or scare people.

This isn't a fear now but the data collection enables this in the future. You think they're deleting this data?

This isn't about tangible fears now, its about the fact that these threats do exist in the future but their brushed aside as "that'll never happen" until it does.

What makes him a shill? What has he been doing?

His post history seems to indicate he's been only commenting on microsoft things trying to present them in a better light and sony in a bad one.

Also been here since 2005 and only 150 posts? Also only poping up to defend them.

I'm not actually worried about myself since my life in unremarkable but just that because the Us doesn't do something or target its civilians other countries might find themselves eventually in position of the data and use it to intimidate or scare people.
Are you talking about US citizens? What's an example of this situation?
This isn't a fear now but the data collection enables this in the future. You think they're deleting this data?
I don't know, are they?

Are you talking about US citizens? What's an example of this situation?

I don't know, are they?

Yes, for example a blogger who is posting about the situation in Tibet but is doing so anonymously so he can visit china. Just a random example I thought of

And to your second point the fact that you don't know clearly shows there's a problem.

Yes, for example a blogger who is posting about the situation in Tibet but is doing so anonymously so he can visit china. Just a random example I thought of

And to your second point the fact that you don't know clearly shows there's a problem.

What blogger? What are the Chinese authorities going to do? What did he do?

thcsquad

And my fears are founded on the fact, not that the data will be used officially, but unofficially if all this data is stored forever whats to stop a hacker or another to steal data later and use it to blackmail someone. this is a far fetched fear and I don't see it happening soon but it undermines the "data will always be safe argument" these programs are setting presidents for a future were it won't be so far fetched. And its not only political statements.

This seems like an odd concern. Your phone company had this in the first place. Why not worry about them being hacked?

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, if anything I'd be more worried about the telephone companies being hacked. The Federal government's internet security is much, much stronger than theirs.

Plus, it wouldn't be an act of war to break into AT&T.

East Lake

If you run for office, even president, anyone with access to these databases could potentially reconstruct your entire digital footprint. If you're Joe shithead working at a middle class office job nobody is going to care but your past is no longer the past with this. Someone can find this information about you. Someone can look at every google search you made. The only variable is how much trouble they have to deal with to get it.

If you run for office, even president, anyone with access to these databases could potentially reconstruct your entire digital footprint. If you're Joe shithead working at a middle class office job nobody is going to care but your past is no longer the past with this. Someone can find this information about you. Someone can look at every google search you made. The only variable is how much trouble they have to deal with to get it.

Maybe not Joe shithead, but Joe political organizer should definitely care. The US government's historical targeting of persons engaged in protected First Amendment activity should make anybody who is actively engaged in politics very worried about the government's collection of such data. The (also unconstitutional) direct surveillance these individuals exercising First Amendment rights have to put up with is bad enough.

Many young people today (and even middle-aged people, quite frankly) have never lived through a period of time in which the citizenry was organized and engaged and, as a result, faced a government extremely hostile to their (protected) activities which sought to destroy them. The civil rights movements and anti-war movements of the 50's, 60's and 70's were mercilessly harassed by the government. We saw a taste of this with Occupy Wall Street, but only the smallest. Broad collection of information about the activities of people empowers the government to suppress protected First Amendment activities. There is a saying, I believe: information is power. It really is (which is why the government wants it).

Really?

I've come home drunk from the bars and google searched some pretty weird shit. Realistically, is that something to worry about if I ever do run for office?

East Lake

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not so I'd say "yes" provided that you're either (a) making a government agency's life uncomfortable somehow or (b) in a position to be be exploited by this information. Or both.

Gotchaye

Really?

I've come home drunk from the bars and google searched some pretty weird shit. Realistically, is that something to worry about if I ever do run for office?

Q8jDXnm.jpg

gcubed

Come on dax .. There is no reason for a mass data give away to the government with no specific use (an overarching catch terrorists is not a use). I don't care how trustworthy anyone may be, if they don't need it, they shouldn't have it.

Albeit, as was expected, some new info out of nyt has the initial report as being a bit... Bombastic. Back down to a secure portal where after a FISA request has been received and reviewed by company lawyers they dump the appropriate data onto the portal for law enforcement to take. This is how just about every information request from law enforcement is handled and a far cry from back door open access to everything

Come on dax .. There is no reason for a mass data give away to the government with no specific use (an overarching catch terrorists is not a use). I don't care how trustworthy anyone may be, if they don't need it, they shouldn't have it.

Albeit, as was expected, some new info out of nyt has the initial report as being a bit... Bombastic. Back down to a secure portal where after a FISA request has been received and reviewed by company lawyers they dump the appropriate data onto the portal for law enforcement to take. This is how just about every information request from law enforcement is handled and a far cry from back door open access to everything
Fits their denials

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, I always kind of felt that the whole "deep data mining high tech companies" was being overblown or misinterpreted. But I still think that, out of all of this, the Verizon thing is still a real problem unless some more info on that has come out as well

gcubed

Yeah, I always kind of felt that the whole "deep data mining high tech companies" was being overblown or misinterpreted. But I still think that, out of all of this, the Verizon thing is still a real problem unless some more info on that has come out as well

Oh yes, this says nothing of the phone records, only the data mining.

I'm not arguing that.

obama should do some realpolitik and announce support for a full repeal of the patriot act. maybe even submit a repeal to congress himself. it would NEVER pass (two reasons: national security republicans, and the fact they can't pass a bill he offers) and maybe he would gain some cred back.

Cory Booker will officially announce that he is running for NJ Senate at 11 am.

meh. i'm going to secretly support rush holt. he's a rocket scientist, a quaker, and a liberal. how fucking awesome is that. i think my job doesn't allow me to participate in politics (working for a judge), which kind of sucks though. hence my secret support.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So on yesterday's Real Time, I thought Bill Maher made an interesting point. CNN Republican hack, Ana Navarro was talking about how Reagan beat communism, and Maher pointed out that while he did deserve some credit, Reagan came in during the last act, but more importantly, he said that communism was about to fall anyway because it was an unsustainable model, just as Republicans had always been yammering on about.

So if communism was always destined to fail, should Reagan be given any credit, period?

Communism was doomed to fail once the world globalized.

There is no room for autarky in a globalized world. Its no coincidence that the iron curtain started to fall when globalization really started to get in gear, which was in the mid-70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom