• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yeah, I don't recall anyone ever making a connection between Obama and Bill Ayers

Fox News used to do it regularly.

I'm not sure how credible NY Post is. They almost seem like a tabloid, but:

NYPD traffic tickets and summonses for minor offenses have dropped off by a staggering 94 percent following the execution of two cops — as officers feel betrayed by the mayor and fear for their safety, The Post has learned.

The dramatic drop comes as Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio plan to hold an emergency summit on Tuesday with the heads of the five police unions to try to close the widening rift between cops and the administration.

The unprecedented meeting is being held at the new Police Academy in Queens at 2 p.m., sources said.

Angry union leaders have ordered drastic measures for their members since the Dec. 20 assassination of two NYPD cops in a patrol car, including that two units respond to every call.

It has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show.

Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.

Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.

Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

The Post obtained the numbers hours after revealing that cops were turning a blind eye to some minor crimes and making arrests only “when they have to” since the execution-style shootings of Officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu.

So they're getting fired right? For not doing their jobs?

Yeah, the cops seem to be having the support of the public against DeBlasio from what I've seen. You've got half the press out there (right-wing) cheerleading for them.

Even in the comments section in the NYT today there were more than a few people defending the cops behavior after the NYT published an editorial blasting them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, the cops seem to be having the support of the public against DeBlasio from what I've seen. You've got half the press out there (right-wing) cheerleading for them.

Even in the comments section in the NYT today there were more than a few people defending the cops behavior after the NYT published an editorial blasting them.

Actually most of the city is with the mayor if polling is to be believed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Scalise is still on the path to Speaker of the house:

John Boehner said:
Like many of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, I know Steve to be a man of high integrity and good character. He has my full confidence as our Whip, and he will continue to do great and important work for all Americans.

It's now fair to say that white supremacy is tolerated by the party as a whole.

I knew republicans were racist, but I never expected them to go so far as to be tolerant of freaking white supremacist neo-nazis.

I knew republicans were racist, but I never expected them to go so far as to be tolerant of freaking white supremacy neo-nazis.

An article on Boehner quizzically wondering why minorities feel disenfranchised to follow shortly.

I knew republicans were racist, but I never expected them to go so far as to be tolerant of freaking white supremacist neo-nazis.

Robert Byrd.

pigeon

Banned

To be totally honest, I don't think this changes the calculus at all. The people who said, accurately, that the GOP was tacitly supportive of white supremacy will still say that, and the people who dishonestly denied that will still deny it. Ron and Rand Paul have been around for years. The Southern strategy has been on record for decades. People have been waving the Confederate flag for like a century and a half.

If you aren't convinced now, you will probably stay unconvinced no matter what the Republican party does.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
To be totally honest, I don't think this changes the calculus at all. The people who said, accurately, that the GOP was tacitly supportive of white supremacy will still say that, and the people who dishonestly denied that will still deny it. Ron and Rand Paul have been around for years. The Southern strategy has been on record for decades. People have been waving the Confederate flag for like a century and a half.

If you aren't convinced now, you will probably stay unconvinced no matter what the Republican party does.

Yeah, probably.

But it still changes how I perceive the republican party. I thought there was a line between colorblind racism and white supremacist hate groups, and that republicans were at least firmly on the side of colorblind racism. Now i'm not so sure where the republicans stand on that line, or if there's even a line there to begin with.

benjipwns

Banned
Economists by media mentions over 90 days and their publishing ranking:
20150103_FNC944_2.png

I would have done the top 30 or 50 honestly. There's too many long-term and a pair of short-term media presences to get much out of it.

benjipwns

Banned
But he's talking about getting to full employment. Which statutorily is 3%. Has the unemployment rate ever cut in half in under a year by adding to the workforce?

benjipwns

Banned
If you want to call the law that the President is tasked to enforce and meet by certain dates "congressional definitions" then sure.

We don't rely on the words of some defunct nobody economist like Jonathan Gruber to define the details of health care policy, we look to Congress. We should do the same regarding Congress' full employment laws no?

benjipwns

Banned
So should the federal government abandon its mandate to establish full employment at 3% and how should it go about to determine a "proper" full employment number?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Full employment is such an arbitrary and meaningless term that it's not even worth bringing up.

I just know we haven't had an unemployment rate below 3.8% for 43 years now, and somewhere below 5.5% would probably be better than average.

HylianTom

Banned
The further we get along with gas prices remaining low and employment improving measurably, the tougher it gets for the GOP's job in '16. I've seen a few articles talking about how gas prices are likely to remain pretty low for the coming year and, even though I love high gas prices (the only way we get real movement on alt. energies, both govt and personal), I still giggle a bit.

And on a separate note: last day of the year, and still no electoral vote gerrymandering. I'm a bit surprised, but then again.. I'm not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The further we get along with gas prices remaining low and employment improving measurably, the tougher it gets for the GOP's job in '16. I've seen a few articles talking about how gas prices are likely to remain pretty low for the coming year and, even though I love high gas prices (the only way we get real movement on alt. energies, both govt and personal), I still giggle a bit.

And on a separate note: last day of the year, and still no electoral vote gerrymandering. I'm a bit surprised, but then again.. I'm not.

But but but the prices dropped when the GOP was elected into having control of Congress! Even before they were in, they had an effect!

But what will gas prices be leading up to election day? That's the only thing matters.

But he's talking about getting to full employment. Which statutorily is 3%. Has the unemployment rate ever cut in half in under a year by adding to the workforce?
Didn't get what you meant earlier but I was going by the 5-5.5% range most economists seem to have settled on for "full employment."

It unemployment managed to drop to 3% on the strength of the economy (and not just because of people dropping out) then I think it'd be fair for Democrats to herald Obama as the second coming of Jesus.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I'm wondering, does anyone else think that it's not a big deal that Scalise looks like he's gonna stay where he's at? I mean, yeah he probably shares sympathies with the White power movement, but...how does that make him different than almost any other Republican? Other Republicans may not have actually given speeches to White nationalist groups, but policy wise, how would any other random Republican in the House distinguish himself? The Republicans as a whole don't support reauthorizing the VRA, they're against funding that would help minority communities, they support keeping the criminal justice system the way it is with its massive bias against people of color, they always seem to agree with virtually every police brutality case involving a White cop and Black victim, etc.

The list goes on and on. If anything, keeping this moron around would help make clearer the close relationship the Republican Party has with the nativists that its cultivated since the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom