• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
Cheer up guys Harry Reid is still going to be Democratic Leader in the Senate and will recover shortly from his injuries:
Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid is in a Las Vegas hospital following injuries sustained while exercising at home.

A statement issued Friday by Reid's office said doctors expect a "full recovery."

"A piece of equipment Senator Reid was using to exercise broke, causing him to fall and break a number of ribs and bones in his face," according to the statement. "Senator Reid will return to Washington this weekend and be in the office Tuesday as the Senate prepares to reconvene."

Adam Jentleson, the senator's spokesman, told the Associated Press that the accident occurred when an elastic exercise band broke and hit the 75-year-old Reid in the face, causing him to fall. As the senator fell, Jentleson said, Reid struck part of the equipment and broke several bones near his right eye. Reid broke several ribs as he hit the floor.

Wilsongt

The Christmas gift that keeps on giving.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...lise_n_6406844.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Overall, Duke was rather flabbergasted by the new focus on Scalise. He said he has hosted both Democratic and Republican legislators at everything from conferences to his children’s birthday parties. He said he has met with Democratic legislators at least 50 times in his political life.

And he delivered a warning to both Republicans and Democrats: Treat Scalise fairly, and don’t try to make political hay out of the situation. Or he said he would be inclined to release a list of names of all the politicians — both Republicans and Democrats — with whom he has ties.

“If Scalise is going to be crucified — if Republicans want to throw Steve Scalise to the woods, then a lot of them better be looking over their shoulders,” Duke said.

FiggyCal

Banned
Guess not.

Lulz. Many lulz.

I hope he does so that Louisiana voters can flush out the closeted KKK members from the legislature. Of course, given the state it's more likely that being affiliated with David Duke will be seen as a net positive.

Yeah. And not just the state. John Boehner seems to be doing alright after coming out in support of Scalise. It's like no one really cares. It's very odd to me.

These new NK sanctions are even more fuckstupid than when NK got some flak for using disney characters. smh

"haaay guyz lookit uz! we r doing sumthink!"

Yeah. And not just the state. John Boehner seems to be doing alright after coming out in support of Scalise. It's like no one really cares. It's very odd to me.
Boehner's in an insulated district IIRC it's 2-to-1 Romney/Obama.

Which is funny because his Democratic counterpart, Pelosi is in a 90% Obama district. Voters gerrymandering themselves ftl

(my point being that "safe" Republican districts/states are still pretty safe, but nowhere near as much so as "safe" Democratic districts/states and you see this all the time in race ratings where Hawaii is Lean D or something because it only gave Obama 70% of the vote or whatever)

ivysaur12

Banned
Boehner's in an insulated district IIRC it's 2-to-1 Romney/Obama.

Which is funny because his Democratic counterpart, Pelosi is in a 90% Obama district. Voters gerrymandering themselves ftl

(my point being that "safe" Republican districts/states are still pretty safe, but nowhere near as much so as "safe" Democratic districts/states and you see this all the time in race ratings where Hawaii is Lean D or something because it only gave Obama 70% of the vote or whatever)

To be fair, it's be pretty impossible to draw her district in a way that didn't give Obama 90% of the vote.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was hoping Christie would have to step down if he were to run, but it seems like he wouldn't. Do any potential candidates have to step down to run? Rand Paul?

I was hoping Christie would have to step down if he were to run, but it seems like he wouldn't. Do any potential candidates have to step down to run? Rand Paul?
Paul would have to retire to run for president, even if he wasn't nominated. In fact he's throwing an epic hissy fit about it because the KY Dems (who hold a majority in the State House and the governorship) are refusing to change the law to allow him to file as a candidate for both his Senate seat and the presidency. If he still ran for Senate and ended up on the GOP ticket anyway he'd automatically forfeit the seat to the Democrat, as there would be no GOPer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Paul would have to retire to run for president, even if he wasn't nominated. In fact he's throwing an epic hissy fit about it because the KY Dems (who hold a majority in the State House and the governorship) are refusing to change the law to allow him to file as a candidate for both his Senate seat and the presidency. If he still ran for Senate and ended up on the GOP ticket anyway he'd automatically forfeit the seat to the Democrat, as there would be no GOPer.

HA! I seriously doubt he's gonna give up his cushy Senator gig.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Heh, I was wondering what took the righties to eventually take credit for the improving economy by pointing to policies they credit to Reagan*:

Grover Norquist would like Republicans to shut up about how bad the economy is, and instead take credit for the recovery.

The prominent anti-tax crusader hasn't turned into a bullhorn for President Barack Obama's economic policies; he still thinks they're a drag on jobs and wages. But he's also grown critical of his fellow Republicans for making poor strategic and messaging decisions on several key issues. Rather than tying the economic recovery to spending cuts ushered in by the sequester and to the continuation of 85 percent of the Bush tax cuts, he said, some in the party have insisted their own leaders fumbled those items.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/austeritys-end-strengthens-us-recovery

*Policies that were never actually enacted by the Gipper.

I was gonna say i'm not looking forward to having a lame duck governor who is only out campaigning and not helping the state in anyway whatsoever but we've been at that point ever since people in this fucking state decided to vote Christie in.

*sigh*

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

For what it's worth, he's already announced himself as running for senate in 2016.

I am a bit confused about how that all works though. If it simply left the republicans off the senate ballot, I'm sure the republicans can just get behind an already lined up good independent candidate instead, who would probably win just from people being upset at the petty politics the democrats were playing.

gcubed

I was gonna say i'm not looking forward to having a lame duck governor who is only out campaigning and not helping the state in anyway whatsoever but we've been at that point ever since people in this fucking state decided to vote Christie in.

*sigh*

Yea, but hey, good news is he won't last long. He's rapidly losing the only thing that made him even remotely viable... Northeast support.

When is Kentucky's primary?

He can just run for president in every state minus Kentucky where he runs for senate. If he doesn't win the primary that's his fall back. The problem is the primary. Not the general.

Oblivion

Well seems there's an interesting twist in the CBO director battle. Mitch McConnell seems to disagree with the idea of picking someone who will use dynamic scoring.

Gotta admit, didn't see that one coming.

HylianTom

Banned

*sigh*

That sounds familiar. And then we have Governor DiaperMan to look forward to.

pampersdavidvitter.jpg

When is Kentucky's primary?

He can just run for president in every state minus Kentucky where he runs for senate. If he doesn't win the primary that's his fall back. The problem is the primary. Not the general.
I suppose, but it might not look good for his optics. Not that Rand Paul would have a chance in hell anyway.

Well seems there's an interesting twist in the CBO director battle. Mitch McConnell seems to disagree with the idea of picking someone who will use dynamic scoring.

Cool. I think McConnell is savvy enough to know not to do anything crazy with the majority. Part of Clinton's ridiculous popularity came from having a Republican-dominated Congress to contend with and calling them out for their craziness by vetoing it.

pigeon

Banned

I am surprised also! My best guess: with House and Senate control comes the responsibility of passing budget bills. That means the GOP gets to raise the debt ceiling and pass continuing resolutions for the next two years. Maybe this would be easier without a political budget office?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am surprised also! My best guess: with House and Senate control comes the responsibility of passing budget bills. That means the GOP gets to raise the debt ceiling and pass continuing resolutions for the next two years. Maybe this would be easier without a political budget office?

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. They'll actually need to do some legislating now, they can't afford to politicize everything. If they do they risk literally everything, the dems can't swoop in and save them from themselves anymore.

ivysaur12

Banned

Just googled this and I couldn't find anything -- link?

Oblivion

Just googled this and I couldn't find anything -- link?

Ack, sorry guys, false alarm. I read the report incorrectly:

"In a letter obtained by POLITICO to House Speaker John Boehner, incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and chairmen of each chamber's budget committees, Democrats urged the GOP to retain [Doug Elmendorf] and decried 'Republican plans to end a long-standing and important tradition of having a non-partisan, competent' CBO director."

It was a letter addressed to Boehner and McConnell. I accidently read it as Democrats and McConnell sent it to Boehner. My bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

*sigh*

well he actually has fucked quite a bit up by canceling large infrastructure projects so this will be an improvement!

*sigh*

Well, I find it hard to blame the voters for that one. The Democrats abandoned the race and sent Buono out to die. Voters didn't really know anything about her. Cowards.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, I find it hard to blame the voters for that one. The Democrats abandoned the race and sent Buono out to die. Voters didn't really know anything about her. Cowards.

She also ran on one issue and didn't really separate herself from Christie at all. It was a very bungled campaign.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It still seems like literally the day after the elections is the day the news stopped acting like ISIS and Ebola was going to make the world end. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Well really this was the last election where peoples' feelings about Obama would play a huge role. He's got two years left and unless shit gets really fucked like it did under Bush we'll see opposition soften because who cares, we'll have a new president soon anyway.

It would be nice to see his approval ratings get back into the 60s like when he started. His administration has had its stumbles but on the whole I think he's delivered on his initial campaign promises, excluding the vague premise that he was supposed to usher in some sort of post-partisan America that clearly will not happen.

well he actually has fucked quite a bit up by canceling large infrastructure projects so this will be an improvement!

ugh. dude was so clueless with the nyc tunnel stuff. nyc dont give a shit. we need that tunnel more than they do if we want people to live in new jersey and pay taxes in nj.

even in 2009 the voters were all like "well Corzine sucked so let's elect this asshole and watch him destroy the state. at least it's not a democrat!". We got duped like Michigan did.

it's so confusing cause Hillary is going to see similar numbers to Obama come 2016. this state is deeply blue with pockets of mississppi, and yet the state thinks Christie was a good choice.

Well really this was the last election where peoples' feelings about Obama would play a huge role. He's got two years left and unless shit gets really fucked like it did under Bush we'll see opposition soften because who cares, we'll have a new president soon anyway.

It would be nice to see his approval ratings get back into the 60s like when he started. His administration has had its stumbles but on the whole I think he's delivered on his initial campaign promises, excluding the vague premise that he was supposed to usher in some sort of post-partisan America that clearly will not happen.

I think electing Hillary would have been better. Hillary gets us out of the quagmire, and Obama builds on the progressive agenda. Imagine Obama being hailed as 2016 democratic nominee instead of Hillary.

Instead I think we're gonna see some really bad policy (democratic party-wise) coming out of Clinton administration.

ivysaur12

Banned
If you go on to Twitter and search "Barack Obama approval", you will see two things I missed:

-- a total adherence to older polls from RCP
-- unskewing!

It's like 2012 all over again!

Oblivion

That's always a fun fake statistic.

I wish. It seems to be a legit poll from the Military Times.

The number is amazingly low though, even accounting for the make up of the military (which is like 65 -35, Republican - Democrat last I saw).

2/3rds of the military also miss Bush. Ugh.

I wish. It seems to be a legit poll from the Military Times.

The number is amazingly low though, even accounting for the make up of the military (which is like 65 -35, Republican - Democrat last I saw).

2/3rds of the military also miss Bush. Ugh.
Did they all just join to go and kill Afghan kids or something?

Also did you know that Obama has only a 15% approcal rating from military members because I've just learned that.

maybe it's just me but i couldn't give two shits what the military thinks to be honest. What is good for them isn't necessarily good for the country on a whole. We don't pay them for opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom