• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So seems my city, Los Angeles, is going to pass a minimum wage bill that'll jack up the rate to $13/hr. Not sure how I feel about this. While it's nice to see politicians actually giving a decent jump, I do worry this might be a bit too much, and may actually have a negative impact on businesses.

Thoughts?

Can any one explain the Nouveau-Right Wing Frat Bros Media (the Freebacons and Federalists of the World) is so obsessed with Neil Degrass Tyson?

Liberal scientist loved by the internet. Why wouldn't they obsessively despise him?

So seems my city, Los Angeles, is going to pass a minimum wage bill that'll jack up the rate to $13/hr. Not sure how I feel about this. While it's nice to see politicians actually giving a decent jump, I do worry this might be a bit too much, and may actually have a negative impact on businesses.

Thoughts?

Liberal scientist loved by the internet. Why wouldn't they obsessively despise him?

Businesses will adjust. People claimed that the creation of the minimum wage in the first place would destroy the economy, but as it turns out, if work has to be done it's gonna get done, be it at 7 or 13 dollars an hour. Prices will probably go up a bit, but hey, people will have more money.

FiggyCal

Banned

Studies show...no. You'll be fine.

Oblivion

Businesses will adjust. People claimed that the creation of the minimum wage in the first place would destroy the economy, but as it turns out, if work has to be done it's gonna get done, be it at 7 or 13 dollars an hour. Prices will probably go up a bit, but hey, people will have more money.

Studies show...no. You'll be fine.

Right, but do we have cases we can refer to when the rate was hiked so substantially? I know minimum wage hikes alone have no discernible negative effects on the overall economy, but in many cases those were generally modest raises from what I understand.

benjipwns

Banned
Can any one explain the Nouveau-Right Wing Frat Bros Media (the Freebacons and Federalists of the World) is so obsessed with Neil Degrass Tyson?
You mean like this?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar..._degrasse_tyson_troll_of_the_year_125103.html

Tyson has been disliked in conservative circles for a while because he had some pretty harsh words about intelligent design (in terms of wording, it wasn't as diplomatic as you'd expect from an academic) about a decade ago and has never really stopped enjoying poking at them publicly. But I think the current stuff about him has merely mirrored his overall increase in popularity. More people are just aware of him in general. Plus, like Bill Nye he's been seen to be fairly friendly with Obama. I think it's that stuff which leaped him from an enemy in deep conservative or Religious Right circles to general Republican circles. I mean, go back a decade or like even five years and just ask anyone in general who the hell he is and the number would be significantly lower than it is now.

Right, but do we have cases we can refer to when the rate was hiked so substantially? I know minimum wage hikes alone have no discernible negative effects on the overall economy, but in many cases those were generally modest raises from what I understand.

Actually, yes. The original federal minimum wage was 25 cents (up from nothing) in 1938, which comes out to $4.19 in 2015 bucks. Since Cali's current minimum is 9 dollars an hour, that works out pretty much exactly.

NDT did piss off a lot of Christians with that Christmas tweet.
"On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world. Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642,"
It was a clear troll (although a lighthearted one). But it's stupid to assume that he did not expect a backlash from that. He's a smart dude, he knew what he was getting into.

benjipwns

Banned
Actually, yes. The original federal minimum wage was 25 cents (up from nothing) in 1938, which comes out to $4.19 in 2015 bucks. Since Cali's current minimum is 9 dollars an hour, that works out pretty much exactly.
I want to just note that zero to some amount is quite different from some amount to a higher amount. Try it in your car while bored at a stop light for proof.

benjipwns

Banned
More important is probably this data point:
Workers in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale Metropolitan Division had an average (mean) hourly wage of $25.30 in May 2013 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

benjipwns

Banned
These charts are probably better:
ndYJk4E.jpg

Effects_15MW_LA_Fig2.gif

EDIT: Seattle's gap is interesting. I assume it has something to do with Starbucks and Boeing.

You mean like this?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar..._degrasse_tyson_troll_of_the_year_125103.html

Tyson has been disliked in conservative circles for a while because he had some pretty harsh words about intelligent design (in terms of wording, it wasn't as diplomatic as you'd expect from an academic) about a decade ago and has never really stopped enjoying poking at them publicly. But I think the current stuff about him has merely mirrored his overall increase in popularity. More people are just aware of him in general. Plus, like Bill Nye he's been seen to be fairly friendly with Obama. I think it's that stuff which leaped him from an enemy in deep conservative or Religious Right circles to general Republican circles. I mean, go back a decade or like even five years and just ask anyone in general who the hell he is and the number would be significantly lower than it is now.

yeah.

Well If I had to answer my own question and why he differs from other scientists and liberals is that he doesn't stay in his area (or ghetto if you want to take up that metaphor). He's outspoken on liberal issues and self identifies and attacks conservatives instead of staying in the science world and just promoting his own thing (bill nye attacks climate deniers but as you said on diplomatic terms and doesn't reject faith and religion so publicly, doesn't comment on gay marriage, on economic policy, etc).

He just seems so non-harmful though I just don't really get the level of personal dislike.

Conservatives hate when people leave their speciality and attempt to have a political opinion, that's the world only for "their people".

benjipwns

Banned
I think the whole Cosmos reboot thing has played a large role in it. Even before an episode of it aired you already had fuming about politicized science and anti-christian bigotry on network TV! The original Cosmos was good ol AMERICAN science.

Like Mr. Wizard.

ivysaur12

Banned
And here's your first likely D-pickup opportunity in 2016

Rep. Chris Gibson, R-N.Y., will announce his retirement Tuesday, according to two GOP sources.

The Republican, who was re-elected to a third term in November, will open a competitive seat in 2016 with his departure following this Congress. President Barack Obama carried the district with 52 percent, making it a must-win for House Democrats if they want to put a dent in the GOP’s historic majority this cycle.

Last year, Gibson annihilated venture capitalist Sean Eldridge, the Democratic nominee with deep pockets, by nearly 30 points.

Initially, Democrats were optimistic about defeating Gibson in the lush and rolling Hudson Valley-based district north of New York City. But Eldridge’s candidacy quickly flamed out, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee never reserved airtime in the 19th District to support his campaign.

Without Gibson on the ticket, Democrats will target the district as a pick-up opportunity.

Gibson is also interested in running statewide, perhaps in 2018, said one of the sources.

Alright, so say we won NY-11 in the special election and NY-19 next general election. 28 more to go.

AZ-2
CO-6
FL-26
IA-1
IA-3
IL-10
IL-12
ME-2
MI-1
NH-1
NV-4
PA-8
TX-23

These 13 plus the two NY seats put us halfway there. I could see all of these falling back to the Democrats in a good presidential year. In fact CO-6, IA-3, MI-1 and PA-8 would be the only new pickups from 2012.

Beyond that it gets tricky. Democrats had better hope Clinton builds some solid coattails.

KingK

I completely forgot to respond to these.

I added both. And sent messages

I'll repost what I posted since more people might frequent GAF now that the holidays are over.

And to clarify I have a PSVITA and PS3 on PSN
And a Xbox One on Xbox Live
I have a ps3. My PSN is King_KDawgg if anyone in poligaf wants to add me.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/world/europe/francois-hollande-says-destabilizing-sanctions-on-russia-must-stop-now.html?smid=tw-nytimes

Not that I'm necessarily for a continuation of the sanctions, but this was a particularly lolworthy thing for Hollande to say:

Russia’s position is misunderstood, he suggested. “Mr. Putin does not want to annex eastern Ukraine, I am sure — he told me so,” Mr. Hollande said.

& the democrats are going to find some way to blow it.

x(

You need to try harder if you want to do this correctly.

ivysaur12

Banned
Alright, so say we won NY-11 in the special election and NY-19 next general election. 28 more to go.

AZ-2
CO-6
FL-26
IA-1
IA-3
IL-10
IL-12
ME-2
MI-1
NH-1
NV-4
PA-8
TX-23

These 13 plus the two NY seats put us halfway there. I could see all of these falling back to the Democrats in a good presidential year. In fact CO-6, IA-3, MI-1 and PA-8 would be the only new pickups from 2012.

Beyond that it gets tricky. Democrats had better hope Clinton builds some solid coattails.

CA-21
IL-13
NV-3
NY-21
CA-10
FL-13
MI-6
NJ-3

That brings it down to 7, and that means you'd have to run a perfect campaign in all of them. Then, you're dipping in R+2/R+3 territory and it gets tricky.

benjipwns

Banned
Not that I'm necessarily for a continuation of the sanctions, but this was a particularly lolworthy thing for Hollande to say:
He also said that Hitler assured him, said it straight to his face, that the Sudetenland was the last of his aspirations so there was no need to worry.

He probably doesn't give a shit anymore and is just going through the motions, not when he's trailing freaking LePen in polls, let alone anyone in the UMP.

NeoXChaos

AZ-2
CO-6
FL-26
IA-1
IA-3
IL-10
IL-12
ME-2
MI-1
NH-1
NV-4
PA-8
TX-23

Too daunting of the task that will heavily depend on candidate quality, the environment and WHO the R's nominate. Even in a 2006 type win, the D's still cant get the house. Its that bad for them right now. They need to focus on 2016, 2018 & 2020 as the trifecta plan to getting back the house for 2021. Remember lets for argument sake they get all those house seats you listed, & its down to seven. They have to hold those in 2018 by chance and then pick off more seats in an environment (midterm) less favorable to them looking at 2010 & 2014.

The only good news in the two wipeouts is that the D's can only go up from here. They ultimately are going to have to change the redistricting map in many states in order to have a good shot in getting and retaining their house majority. Its starts in 2018 in Gubernatorial races.

Dont forget, since 1995 the house has been R controlled for 16 of the last 20 years.

ivysaur12

Banned
He also said that Hitler assured him, said it straight to his face, that the Sudetenland was the last of his aspirations so there was no need to worry.

He probably doesn't give a shit anymore and is just going through the motions, not when he's trailing freaking LePen in polls, let alone anyone in the UMP.

He needs to drop out from running like yesterday, though I don't think PS could beat UMP next election. Maaaaaybe LePen.

PS will get knocked out the first round and the second round will be a repeat of 2002 where it will come down to National Front and UMP. If Sarkozy is the UMP's candidate I can see the National Front doing well, though the UMP will win.

Wilsongt

Did Boner win against Gohmert? Praise Jesus.

I say that because he's the least crazy of the bunch. It's like when Ms. Graham was running here in SC and all of her opponents were batshit insane. As much as I dislike her, I am glad she won.

Tim-E

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...6/white-house-obama-would-veto-keystone-bill/

President Obama would veto a bill that would allow for the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, the White House said Tuesday.

"If this bill passes this Congress the president wouldn’t sign it," said White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest.

The White House’s announcement comes the Republican-controlled Congress was being sworn in – and whose members have pledged to pass a bill authorizing the pipeline’s construction. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W Va.) and John Hoeven (R-N.D.) introduced legislation Tuesday authorizing the pipeline's construction.

“It’s the most discouraging thing I’ve ever heard,” Manchin said in a phone interview, minutes after Earnest had made his comments. “For the leader of the country to say basically, ‘Forget it, this is all for naught,’ is not what this country is about, it’s not what we’re all about and it’s not the process that I’m used to working through.”

Manchin said the move made a mockery of a legislative process under which Democrats as well as Republicans would have a chance to offer amendments to alter the bill. “To say that he won’t give it a chance is absolutely a disservice to our country,” he added.

So Manchin is saying that regardless of what the bill is, the President should never veto any legislation because people worked hard to write it?

ivysaur12

Banned
PS will get knocked out the first round and the second round will be a repeat of 2002 where it will come down to National Front and UMP. If Sarkozy is the UMP's candidate I can see the National Front doing well, though the UMP will win.

And everyone loses!

EDIT: lololololol

@jonathanweisman
As I predicted, Rep, Pete Sessions is on the House floor giving Republicans credit for the quickening economic recovery.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm still struggling to understand how Iowa went from Harkin to Ernst. Just...boggles the mind. I wonder how long it takes her to undo any and all of the good Harkin provided over his 40 years of service.

Godspeed, Iowa.

2128 days until election day 2020.

Oblivion

Yeah, quit being lazy and go out there and find a goddamned job with health benefits.

How hard can it be?

From the FreeRepublic live thread:

Here's their ongoing commentary:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3244027/posts?q=1&;page=1

My GOP theme for the next two years:
Pick your poison.

Either way they go on a whole variety of issues, they alienate a group of voters. And their margin for error is tiiiiiny.

I’ve been asking God for a miracle. I know He has bigger fish to fry. God is concerned with the eternal destiny of souls. The House Speakership, important as it seems at the moment, is inconsequential in terms of eternity/heaven or hell.

Still I have prayed for a miracle. Sometimes even (relatively) smallish things like this have positive eternal consequences.

AHAHAhAHAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom