• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
CTRL-F "electoral college"

Found: 0

Hmm.

If they want me to take them seriously, anyone claiming that the Dems will lose the White House in 2016 has to produce a map. Preferably something realistic, something that doesn't resemble Dick Morris' goofy-ass maps from 2012.

fnc-hannity-20121105-morrismap.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
The emerging Republican advantage.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/the-emerging-republican-advantage-20150130

So Aaron what do you think of this?
I disagree. Democrats have a clear edge in the electoral college which stacks the deck in their favor for winning the presidency. The era of a toss-up election that comes down to Ohio and Florida are over for the time being as Colorado and even Virginia have moved more comfortably into the Democratic column. I agree with Kos, Republicans can win with midterm turnout but not with presidential turnout. The only time they've won the popular vote in the past twenty years they had to fib their way into a war and even then Bush barely held on. They have no candidate right now who could beat Clinton and if they did they probably wouldn't make it through a primary anyway. The current crop (Christie, Bush, Walker etc) will pull closer to her in polling before the election but I still think we're looking at a 2008-level landslide here.

NeoXChaos

CTRL-F "electoral college"

Found: 0

Hmm.

If they want me to take them seriously, anyone claiming that the Dems will lose the White House in 2016 has to produce a map. Preferably something realistic, something that doesn't resemble Dick Morris' goofy-ass maps from 2012.

okay.

Fl, OH, VA, NC (IA or WI will put them over)...your welcome x)

HylianTom

Banned
okay.

Fl, OH, VA, NC (IA or WI will put them over)...your welcome x)

Not bad. Most articles from those thinking that the GOP could win seem to conveniently ignore addressing the issue of the map, and it peeves me to no end. (And you already know how skeptical I am about the idea that Virginia is actually in play.)

Just like the Dems would need a royal flush to get the House back before 2022, the GOP would also need to shoot the moon in order to win all of those swing states (pardon the mixed card metaphors).

I think 2016 will likely be tighter than 2012 (Hillary isn't as strong a candidate as Obama), but I still think the GOP's candidate will come up a few states short.

Cloudy

Banned
It's amazing how low Fox News will go to stoke fear in an attempt to drive Obama's poll numbers back down. I wonder if they would host and promote an execution video of an American...

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.nh1.com/news/nh1-pulse-poll-walker-surges-to-top-with-romney-s-exit-bush-second/

CONCORD - New Hampshire may have a new front-runner in the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

The first survey conducted in the first-in-the-nation primary state since Mitt Romney's exit from the 2016 White House race indicates that Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker leads the pack of potential Republican presidential contenders.

According to an NH1 Pulse Poll released Wednesday, Walker has the backing of 21.2% of those who say they're likely to vote in next year's GOP presidential primary. The automated survey indicates Jeb Bush in second place, with 14.4% saying they'd support the former two-term Florida governor if the Feb. 9, 2016 primary was held now.

The poll was conducted Monday and Tuesday, after Romney's announcement last Friday that he wouldn't make a third run for the White House. The 2012 GOP nominee and former Massachusetts governor, who owns a vacation home along Lake Winnipesaukee, is very well known in New Hampshire and would have been the front-runner in the primary if he had launched a campaign.

NeoXChaos

Not bad. Most articles from those thinking that the GOP could win seem to conveniently ignore addressing the issue of the map, and it peeves me to no end. (And you already know how skeptical I am about the idea that Virginia is actually in play.)

Just like the Dems would need a royal flush to get the House back before 2022, the GOP would also need to shoot the moon in order to win all of those swing states (pardon the mixed card metaphors).

I think 2016 will likely be tighter than 2012 (Hillary isn't as strong a candidate as Obama), but I still think the GOP's candidate will come up a few states short.

I certainly agree with you and others. I just gave the GOP the benefit of the doubt with those states assuming CO, NV, & NH went blue. That is the most likely scenario for a R victory. Running those states I listed(FL, OH, VA, NC) is not enough. They have to pick off a mid-western state like PA, MI, IA & WI or go the west and pick off NV or CO.

Of course all the D's have to do is win Kerry+NM+ "insert swing state like VA, FL, OH etc) and checkmate.

HyperionX

I disagree. Democrats have a clear edge in the electoral college which stacks the deck in their favor for winning the presidency. The era of a toss-up election that comes down to Ohio and Florida are over for the time being as Colorado and even Virginia have moved more comfortably into the Democratic column. I agree with Kos, Republicans can win with midterm turnout but not with presidential turnout. The only time they've won the popular vote in the past twenty years they had to fib their way into a war and even then Bush barely held on. They have no candidate right now who could beat Clinton and if they did they probably wouldn't make it through a primary anyway. The current crop (Christie, Bush, Walker etc) will pull closer to her in polling before the election but I still think we're looking at a 2008-level landslide here.

Considering that the 2014 voter turnout was one of the lowest on record, that election should be a huge fucking red flag for the Republicans.

Sadly, or maybe luckily, they won't even sniff a clue here about their real problems with voters.

Considering that the 2014 voter turnout was one of the lowest on record, that election should be a huge fucking red flag for the Republicans.

Sadly, or maybe luckily, they won't even sniff a clue here about their real problems with voters.

It's 2010 all over again. Republicans taking the absolute worst reading of the election results and stepping closer and closer to the edge of oblivion. Good luck with that shit. As we speak Jeb Bush is getting crucifying for immigration comments he made in Detroit a few years ago. They're gearing up to take him down and nominate another culture warrior.

NeoXChaos

The fact that they have to fight for VA & NC & possibly GA where as Bush in 2000 won them handily is telling enough that the Democrats have an advantage.

Sure Bush regained the 7 Clinton states (TN, WV, AR, LA, KY) (GA, AZ 92, 96 respectively)+MO but they dont make up that many electoral votes.

It's amazing how low Fox News will go to stoke fear in an attempt to drive Obama's poll numbers back down. I wonder if they would host and promote an execution video of an American...

Rick Nelson, a senior associate in homeland security and terrorism at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said that posting the video actually empowers Isis.

“They’re a terror organisation,” he said. “They seek to strike terror in the hearts and minds of people globally, and by perpetuating these videos and putting them out there into the internet, it certainly expands the audience and potential effects.”

“These groups need a platform, and this gives them a platform,” he added.

Nance told the Guardian that showing the video would also further endanger other hostages, including the 26-year-old American aid worker currently held by the militant group.

“[Fox News] are literally – literally – working for al-Qaida and Isis’s media arm,” he added.

“They might as well start sending them royalty checks.”
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/04/fox-news-shows-isis-video-jordan-pilot

It's not that it's impossible for Republicans to win, that'd be a dumb assertion. But it's like... look at the swing states in 2012. North Carolina, Obama won without it. Florida, could have won without it. Ohio, could have won without it. Virginia, could have won without it. Republicans would need to win all four of those and then either of the two next closest states, Colorado or Pennsylvania, which Obama took by over five points each. If the GOP wins they'll do so by the skin of their teeth whereas the Democrats have much more breathing room - remember that even at their lowest point in the past six elections (Kerry's loss) they still just needed to swing one Ohio to win.

By the way I don't see the GOP swinging Iowa or Wisconsin, Obama won them very comfortably in 2012. I think that's a bit of a ridiculous discussion to be having when they're currently getting trounced by Hillary in the holy trinity of swing states, OH/FL/PA. The margins will tighten of course, but I feel the pessimists among us are too quick to go "The polls don't matter, REPUBLICANS ARE GONNA WIN WISCONSIN" which is a statement is even more baseless than predicting a Hillary victory.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's 2010 all over again. Republicans taking the absolute worst reading of the election results and stepping closer and closer to the edge of oblivion. Good luck with that shit. As we speak Jeb Bush is getting crucifying for immigration comments he made in Detroit a few years ago. They're gearing up to take him down and nominate another culture warrior.

He's supposed to be the moderate and he's polling well behind Walker in New Hampshire. If Jeb can't win New Hampshire, he can't win the nomination, period.

So we'll get Walker and Jeb on stage with a few crazies for a few months. Walker has the charisma of a tree stump and will get trounced in the general. He probably couldn't even win his home state.

It's not that it's impossible for Republicans to win, that'd be a dumb assertion. But it's like... look at the swing states in 2012. North Carolina, Obama won without it. Florida, could have won without it. Ohio, could have won without it. Virginia, could have won without it. Republicans would need to win all four of those and then either of the two next closest states, Colorado or Pennsylvania, which Obama took by over five points each. If the GOP wins they'll do so by the skin of their teeth - remember that even at their lowest point in the past six elections (Kerry's loss) they still just needed to swing one Ohio to win.

By the way I don't see the GOP swinging Iowa or Wisconsin, Obama won them very comfortably in 2012. I think that's a bit of a ridiculous discussion to be having when they're currently getting trounced by Hillary in the holy trinity of swing states, OH/FL/PA. The margins will tighten of course, but I feel the pessimists among us are too quick to go "The polls don't matter, REPUBLICANS ARE GONNA WIN WISCONSIN" which is a statement is even more baseless than predicting a Hillary victory.

And even though the polls will tighten, even the few polls have Hillary with a very comfortable lead over Wisconsin. That… shouldn't happen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that it's impossible for Republicans to win, that'd be a dumb assertion. But it's like... look at the swing states in 2012. North Carolina, Obama won without it. Florida, could have won without it. Ohio, could have won without it. Virginia, could have won without it. Republicans would need to win all four of those and then either of the two next closest states, Colorado or Pennsylvania, which Obama took by over five points each. If the GOP wins they'll do so by the skin of their teeth whereas the Democrats have much more breathing room - remember that even at their lowest point in the past six elections (Kerry's loss) they still just needed to swing one Ohio to win.

Yeah, and look at 2014's wave election for republicans, between Pennsylvania and Colorado, they lost both governor races at a 2.9 percentage points for Colorado and 9.8 points for Pennsylvania, and Republicans won Colorado's senate race by a measly 2.5 points. They didn't fare much better in every other Democrat leaning state. Even in Virginia and New Hampshire, Republicans still ended up losing in every meaningful way.

They basically need to do about as well as they did in 2014 in order to win the presidency, and that's almost impossible unless the economy straight up crashes (which is honestly possible), or the electoral map drastically changes (which I don't know how that would happen).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Walker's charisma makes me wonder if he's just going to be the GOP-frontrunner-of-the-day or if he could actually be the nominee.

He makes Mitt look animated and interesting! Debating him would be like debating a tree stump. He reminds me of that guy from the West Wing that ran against Bartlett for reelection.

I don't buy the charisma argument. As I keep pointing out...outside of Christie, name one logical nominee choice that is charismatic. Jeb Bush? Rick Perry? Mitt Romney? None of them are. That makes it a non issue to me, primary wise. Whoever wins will be an uncharismatic candidate (because there's no way Christie gets the nom).

Walker has the best record, the least vulnerabilities, and is the only candidate who can equally satisfy the establishment and the conservative base.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't buy the charisma argument. As I keep pointing out...outside of Christie, name one logical nominee choice that is charismatic. Jeb Bush? Rick Perry? Mitt Romney? None of them are. That makes it a non issue to me, primary wise. Whoever wins will be an uncharismatic candidate (because there's no way Christie gets the nom).

Exactly. There isn't a charismatic guy among the bunch.

ivysaur12

Banned

Walker has the best record, the least vulnerabilities, and is the only candidate who can equally satisfy the establishment and the conservative base.

Oh, I don't think his charisma is a problem in the primary. It's certainly a problem in the general.

That's the guy who's going to convince people not to vote for the first female president? Him?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He makes Mitt look animated and interesting! Debating him would be like debating a tree stump. He reminds me of that guy from the West Wing that ran against Bartlett for reelection.

Name three more charismatic politicians than him, who have been active since after the 2008 election.

It's not like he's George Clooney or anything, be he's still near the top in speech and debate abilities among prominent politicians.

Oh, I don't think his charisma is a problem in the primary. It's certainly a problem in the general.

That's the guy who's going to convince people not to vote for the first female president? Him?

True, but no individual is going to defeat Hillary without some major things going wrong.

NeoXChaos

Its not like Hillary is charismatic either. When compared to Bill Clinton & Barack Obama even I have to admit she does not exactly ooze excitement.

Can you really see Hillary giving a barn burner nomination speech that wont be overshadowed by her husband & Obama the night or 2 before? or any speech she gives during the campaign like Obama's race speech or Nixon's Checkers speech?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Its not like Hillary is charismatic either. When compared to Bill Clinton & Barack Obama even I have to admit she does not exactly ooze excitement.

Can you really see Hillary giving a barn burner nomination speech that wont be overshadowed by her husband & Obama the night or 2 before? or any speech she gives during the campaign like Obama's race speech or Nixon's Checkers speech?
Bill's DNC speech gave Obama his bump while Obama's own speech was fairly underwhelming. If she has amazing surrogates it won't matter.

I also should point out Obama himself is a pretty once-in-a-generation candidate. I don't think it's reasonable to expect Hillary or any Democrat in the near future to measure up to him.

Trouble

Banned

Personally, I don't think Virginia will really be in play in 2016 if Hillary runs. It will go blue a lot easier for for Hillary than it did for Obama. All based on my unscientific opinion from having grown up there.

Personally, I don't think Virginia will really be in play in 2016 if Hillary runs. It will go blue a lot easier for for Hillary than it did for Obama. All based on my unscientific opinion from having grown up there.

Oh I think you are quite right. I think there are a LOT of states south of Mason-Dixon line that will be much easier for Hillary than they were for Obama.

Not quite sure why though. Hmm. ;-)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985925

Are we sure we can't give Obama a third term? Or find some way to transfer his 2015 mind back to 2009 like in X-Men?

I do wonder what would have changed if there were no term limits.

Seems to me that ever since the 22nd Amendment was ratified, only Eisenhower, Clinton, and Obama would have had a chance at ever achieving a third term.

Reagan was really suffering from Alzheimer's by his would be 3rd election, and everyone else died, resigned, or was too unpopular to be elected to a 3rd term.

I'm not dead set against term limits, but I do wonder if they're really that needed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How have we not discussed Rand Paul's brilliant walk back on his stupid vaccine remarks?

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/rand-paul-and-temporal-relationships

He's an idiot. Temporally related my ass, what a moron.

Are we sure we can't give Obama a third term? Or find some way to transfer his 2015 mind back to 2009 like in X-Men?

I got a woody from reading that, do I have to see someone if it lasts more than 4 hours? I only ask because thing isn't dying down.

Ecotic

I argued this in the off-topic once before, but I think a former President can't be elected more than twice. But maybe Obama could run on a third term, but have Michelle be at the top of the ticket, have himself run as the Vice President, and then on inauguration day have Michelle immediately resign after being sworn in. Obama then immediately assumes his third term.

But some people said he was ineligible to assume the Presidency, and it goes to the next in line. Though from the wording of the amendment I don't see how he's disqualified to assume the Presidency, it clearly just limits itself to saying no more than being elected twice.

22nd Amendment said:
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I argued this in the off-topic once before, but I think a former President can't be elected more than twice. But maybe Obama could run on a third term, but have Michelle be at the top of the ticket, have himself run as the Vice President, and then on inauguration day have Michelle immediately resign after being sworn in. Obama then immediately assumes his third term.

But some people said he was ineligible to assume the Presidency, and it goes to the next in line. Though from the wording of the amendment I don't see how he's disqualified to assume the Presidency, it clearly just limits itself to saying no more than being elected twice.

Man, only reason that amendment exists is because people were salty FDR had four terms.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

lol. That's a great idea.

The main problem is that Congress never really thought about that when making the 22nd amendment, and that basically means the supreme court justices can do whatever the hell they want regarding it, because that's how our government works.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, it is insulting. He fucks up and then he always tries to blame it on others. Aqua Buddha is going to get as close to the white house as his dad.

Seriously, he acts like we're all fucking morons. He'd never survive a real campaign, fuck he'd never survive the clown car show that is the GOP primary.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously, he acts like we're all fucking morons. He'd never survive a real campaign, fuck he'd never survive the clown car show that is the GOP primary.

The dude is remarkably thin skinned. Those are among the worst people to try and run for high office.

no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice President of the United States
12th amendment.

Chichikov

The twelfth amendment probably prohibit that, but that has not been tested.

Also, while I approve of the lulz, I think it's really terrible to have the first woman elected president to be a mere ploy to get her man back in office.

HylianTom

Banned
The 22nd Amendment only prohibits election to the office of Presidency. It doesn't address the other means of accessing the Presidency - succession.

This means that if, say, Bill Clinton were somewhere in that line of succession, he would not be barred from rising back into the Presidency if something happened to everyone ahead of him in line. The 22nd Amendment doesn't prohibit this.. it still leaves this door open via its silence on the subject.

Which means he'd still technically be "eligible" to the office of the Presidency.
Which negates any 12th Amendment concerns about being qualified to run as VP.

I get the intent of the authors of the 22nd Amendment, but if they wanted to close both doors to the office - election and succession - then they should've used more precise language.

---

And after I was giggling at Jeb avoiding stepping in it, it seems like Jeb is out to alienate primary voters big-time on the immigration issue..

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog...e_our_liberties_if_we_control_the_border.html

Here's the big line that the freepers are freaking over:
"it's not possible in a free country to completely control the border without us losing our freedoms and liberties."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3254334/posts

If he doesn't get the nod, I'd love for him to endorse his "brother from another mother" to be First Gentleman. But that won't happen in this world.. :p

HylianTom

Banned
Why not just switch Biden and Obama for 2016?
That would be one hysterical troll.

Imagine Biden's nomination acceptance speech.. it'd be a paragraph long:
"I promise that, if elected President, I will be sworn-in and then resign 5 minutes later! Thank you, God bless you, and God bless our United States of America!"

The 22nd Amendment only prohibits election to the office of Presidency. It doesn't address the other means of accessing the Presidency - succession.

This means that if, say, Bill Clinton were somewhere in that line of succession, he would not be barred from rising back into the Presidency if something happened to everyone ahead of him in line. The 22nd Amendment doesn't prohibit this.. it still leaves this door open via its silence on the subject.

Which means he'd still technically be "eligible" to the office of the Presidency.
Which negates any 12th Amendment concerns about being qualified to run as VP.

I get the intent of the authors of the 22nd Amendment, but if they wanted to close both doors to the office - election and succession - then they should've used more precise language.

---

And after I was giggling at Jeb avoiding stepping in it, it seems like Jeb is out to alienate primary voters big-time on the immigration issue..

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog...e_our_liberties_if_we_control_the_border.html

Here's the big line that the freepers are freaking over:
"it's not possible in a free country to completely control the border without us losing our freedoms and liberties."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3254334/posts

If he doesn't get the nod, I'd love for him to endorse his "brother from another mother" to be First Gentleman. But that won't happen in this world.. :p

He can't run for VP. I think the supreme court would rule the two agree on that even if you can come up with another meaning

I do think that succession through speakership wouldn't run aground though.

benjipwns

Banned
The emerging Republican advantage.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/the-emerging-republican-advantage-20150130

So Aaron what do you think of this?
This is conservatives extrapolating far too much off of a midterm election when lazy-ass Dems didn't bother to go to the polls.
Maybe you'd prefer his 2002 book*:
51yVMg2WDpL.jpg

Or his co-authors 2011 publication:
http://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2011/11/pdf/path_to_270.pdf

One of the presuppositions of the 2002 book was the Democrats would continue to make “a respectable showing among white working-class voters.”

On that basis, he and Teixeira put West Virginia in the “lean Democratic” column for ”the next decade”—now the past three presidential elections—notwithstanding that George W. Bush had just become the first nonincumbent Republican presidential nominee to carry the state since 1928. West Virginia turned out to be solidly Republican: In 2008 John McCain was the first Republican to carry it while losing the election since 1916, and both he and Mitt Romney did so by wide margins.

They also classified as “leaning Democratic” Missouri, which Bush, McCain and Romney all carried, and as “leaning GOP, but competitive” Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana and Tennessee, none of which were seriously contested in 2004, 2008 or 2012, and all of which Romney carried by at least 15 points.

FyreWulff

I think someone that was Pres will never run for Vice Pres entirely out of formality anyway. Even if the language were vague enough to support it.

If Clinton runs and gets elected though, we're going to see how people feel about the potential of future married couples both taking up political careers and succeeding each other as president. Because Bill will become the first First Gentleman or whatever we're going to call it, but also at the same time Bill will become the first President to also be a First Gentleman and Hillary will become the First Lady to become President.

Will we eventually in years to come end up with a ticket where one spouse runs as Pres and the other as Vice? hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom