• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any serious Republican contender out there who does not say dumb shit, and is generally not batshit insane? Few years ago it was only Sarah Palin. But now it's like every day I'm hearing stupidity pouring out of their mouths.

I noticed this as well. I don't get it. How did we get to this point. With a few exceptions, crazy people saying crazy things aren't getting elected. It isn't like this is a strategy that worked and everyone is getting on the bandwagon. I have a couple of theories but nothing really fits.

1.Since Republicans can no longer get away with being a religious intolerant, homophobic, racist (at least in public) their only option to differentiate themselves from democrats is to be hard crazy, anti science, anti logic, for freedom!

2. The persons cutting their checks are telling them to act this way.

3. They have figured out that no matter what they say, their base will support them, and it keeps their name in the spot light.

4. They actually are crazy and at long last they can let the demon monkeys in their heads run free.

These aren't solid theories. Just ones I've been kicking around.

benjipwns

Banned
I'd like to note that Republicans and conservatives have saying the same thing about Democrats and progressives for the last decade or so, that they've gone off the deep end, saying batshit insane things, completely lost touch with reality, etc.

Both sides are wrong, it's nothing new it's just more prominent with sites like TPM/TP and Twitchy/HotAir instantly publishing every dumb thing someone at any level in the villain party says, and Guam will not capsize.

I'd like to note that Republicans and conservatives have saying the same thing about Democrats and progressives for the last decade or so, that they've gone off the deep end, saying batshit insane things, completely lost touch with reality, etc.

Both sides are wrong, it's nothing new it's just more prominent with sites like TPM/TP and Twitchy/HotAir instantly publishing every dumb thing someone at any level in the villain party says, and Guam will not capsize.

Distinction between different kinds of elections, tho. Dems most certainly have no idea how to deal with midterms, but can manage general elections, whereas the opposite is considered valid for republicans.

Chichikov

I noticed this as well. I don't get it. How did we get to this point. With a few exceptions, crazy people saying crazy things aren't getting elected. It isn't like this is a strategy that worked and everyone is getting on the bandwagon. I have a couple of theories but nothing really fits.

1.Since Republicans can no longer get away with being a religious intolerant, homophobic, racist (at least in public) their only option to differentiate themselves from democrats is to be hard crazy, anti science, anti logic, for freedom!

2. The persons cutting their checks are telling them to act this way.

3. They have figured out that no matter what they say, their base will support them, and it keeps their name in the spot light.

4. They actually are crazy and at long last they can let the demon monkeys in their heads run free.

These aren't solid theories. Just ones I've been kicking around.
I think it does work for most of them on a personal level, it gets them elected to congress, land them nice jobs on Fox News and think tanks, get them book deals, speaking fees etc.
Sure, they would love to win the white house, but not at the risk of getting Tea Partied or labeled as a RINO and be cut off that sweet political cash pipe.
I don't think they're 100% cynical about this by the way, sure, some of them like Palin are, but not most of them, but you have a very strong incentives to act that way. People are great at rationalizing their best immediate interest as the right thing, and let's face it, most of them know that they have a pretty damn slim chance of winning the presidency anyway.
Distinction between different kinds of elections, tho. Dems most certainly have no idea how to deal with midterms, but can manage general elections, whereas the opposite is considered valid for republicans.
I think it's just the case of the opposition party* has a much easier time motivating its base to go vote in the midterms.
Republicans presidents took terrible beating in midterms in the pretty recent past.

* opposition in the sense of not controlling the white house, yeah, it's not super accurate, but that's how most voters see it.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
He didn't last Friday:

Josh Earnest said:
Well, the President certainly believes that these kinds of decisions are decisions that should be made by parents, because ultimately when we’re talking about vaccinations, we’re typically talking about vaccinations that are given to children. But the science on this, as our public health professionals I’m sure would be happy to tell you, the science on this is really clear.

And yesterday?

Josh Earnest said:
I think in the mind of the President -- I did have the opportunity to visit with him shortly before the briefing on this very issue -- the President believes it shouldn’t require a law for people to exercise common sense and do the right thing. And again, this is the right thing for them to do both by their own children, but by also other children in the community. They have a responsibility to do this.

And as I mentioned earlier, I did have a chance to speak to the President about this issue shortly before the briefing, and he was clear that we don't need a new law, we need people to exercise common sense.

[Q But what has brought this up in a political context is you’ve had a couple of prominent Republicans who have said that, yes, everybody should be vaccinated against measles but parents should have a choice. So the question is that second part. Because in the first part they agree entirely with the President. Should parents have a choice, or should they be forced because of a larger public health interest to have their kids vaccinated?]

[A] I think in the mind of the President, this shouldn’t be a difficult choice. The science is really clear about what we need to do to protect our kids and to protect kids all across the country. And, again, this isn’t about politics. This is about common sense, and the President believes strongly that parents should exercise that common sense in a way that ensures that their children get vaccinated on time so that we can make sure that kids across the country -- particularly those kids that are still under the age of 12 months and they can’t get vaccinated for the measles, there are some kids who are undergoing cancer treatments that prevent them from being able to get vaccines -- the thought that a child who is already suffering from cancer and is fighting cancer and therefore can’t get the measles vaccine would contract measles because of the irresponsibility of another child’s parent is unthinkable. And I would hope that we would have enough sense all across the country that we would take politics out of this and we would focus on the science to do right by our kids.

As I have been saying since the discussion about Christie's comments began, Christie's and Obama's comments are not at odds--they were just discussing different issues. (To the extent that their views on the issue of mandating vaccines are at odds, Obama is taking the position most opposed to mandatory vaccinations--"we don't need new laws" is a conclusion, whereas Christie suggested an analysis to determine whether new laws are needed.)

Papers, please.

Cuomo's nanny state is out of control.

New Dog Licenses Have Pet Owners Scratching Their Heads

Instead of getting their annual renewal sticker for their pet's tags — which confirm the license is up to date — owners are getting a document they are supposed to carry around with them whenever they walk their dog.

“When I received my [renewal] letter I was looking for the sticker,” said Millie Gonzalez who helps run the Marcus Garvey Park Dog Walk. “I’m looking for the sticker, and then when I read the letter my first thought was, ‘What a stupid idea.’”

The stickers have been discontinued and are being replaced by paper certificates, according to a letter mailed out to dog owners renewing their licenses.

State law requires all dog owners to license their pets, according to the Health Department.

The agency changed the dog licenses to make the process more user-friendly and offer new benefits. People can now pay for licenses for multiple years at once and download the PDF version of the paper certificate anytime to their computer or smartphone, a spokesman said.

The price of licenses — $8.50 for spayed or neutered dogs and $34 for those that are not — won't change, according to the website.

Nonetheless, dog owners said the new certificates are inconvenient for people who don’t have smartphones and can't easily access a digital version. It will be especially inconvenient for seniors, Gonzalez said.
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...censes-have-pet-owners-scratching-their-heads

A license to walk a fucking dog?

WTF is this shit. It's bullshit like this that instantly makes people hate government. You know damn well this kind of shit was pushed by Democrats because fuck people.

Papers, please.

Cuomo's nanny state is out of control.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...censes-have-pet-owners-scratching-their-heads

A license to walk a fucking dog?

WTF is this shit. It's bullshit like this that instantly makes people hate government. You know damn well this kind of shit was pushed by Democrats because fuck people.

Lots and lots of cities have pet licensing laws on the books. Ive never heard of a state wide thing but eh? Plus it sounds like this has been a law for quite a while there.

Hell your town/county probably has a licensing law on the books that you don't even know about.

Lots and lots of cities have pet licensing laws on the books. Ive never heard of a state wide thing but eh? Plus it sounds like this has been a law for quite a while there.

Hell your town/county probably has a licensing law on the books that you don't even know about.

Whats the justification? Seems like bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy.

Also yet another opportunity for very selective enforcement of a law against certain people.

Reminds me of idiotic ID requests.

"Let me see your ID"
"Yep, thats an ID with your face on it, terrorism prevented"

FyreWulff

Having to carry a sheet of paper is stupid but licensing pets has been around forever. Here it's just tags you put on your dog's collar. They also chip the animals.

Having to carry a sheet of paper is stupid but licensing pets has been around forever. Here it's just tags you put on your dog's collar. They also chip the animals.

But why? What does it accomplish?

A drivers license, theoretically, shows you passed a driving test and vision test and are capable of driving safely.

A gun license, theoretically, shows you passed a background check and gun class and are capable of owning a gun safely.

WTF does a dog license do? Theres no requirement to prove youre capable of being a good dog owner. Youre not required to go to dog obedience school. Rabbies vaccine is a requirement, but thats a different piece of paper that nobody is asking you for, and I believe is updated on the chip your dog has.

It's bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy.

But why? What does it accomplish?

A drivers license, theoretically, shows you passed a driving test and vision test and are capable of driving safely.

A gun license, theoretically, shows you passed a background check and gun class and are capable of owning a gun safely.

WTF does a dog license do? Theres no requirement to prove youre capable of being a good dog owner. Youre not required to go to dog obedience school. Rabbies vaccine is a requirement, but thats a different piece of paper that nobody is asking you for, and I believe is updated on the chip your dog has.

It's bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy.

It helps not clog the strained shelter system and passively encourages spay and neutering, helps fund the animal control system, and enforces rabies vaccinations.

And, as said, they have been around forever.

ivysaur12

Banned
He didn't last Friday:

And yesterday?

As I have been saying since the discussion about Christie's comments began, Christie's and Obama's comments are not at odds--they were just discussing different issues. (To the extent that their views on the issue of mandating vaccines are at odds, Obama is taking the position most opposed to mandatory vaccinations--"we don't need new laws" is a conclusion, whereas Christie suggested an analysis to determine whether new laws are needed.)

Great! I disagree. Now, I need Christie to tell me which are the good vaccines and which are the bad vaccines.

There's also a difference between saying "we don't need to mandate vaccinations, use common sense to get vaccinated" (I disagree), and "not all vaccines are created equal". Which vaccines, Christie? HPV? Flu? Measles?

Wilsongt

Why am I not surprised that Fox News of all people would actually post the Jordanian murder video, and show stills of it on their network?

I mean, I know they are all about stirring the pot, but goddamn.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Great! I disagree. Now, I need Christie to tell me which are the good vaccines and which are the bad vaccines.

There's also a difference between saying "we don't need to mandate vaccinations, use common sense to get vaccinated" (I disagree), and "not all vaccines are created equal". Which vaccines, Christie? HPV? Flu? Measles?

I think you're being unfair in characterizing Christie's position as distinguishing "good vaccines" from "bad vaccines." But, I suppose this link is as good a place to start as any to figure out where Christie might draw the line on mandating vaccines.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think you're being unfair in characterizing Christie's position as distinguishing "good vaccines" from "bad vaccines." But, I suppose this link is as good a place to start as any to figure out where Christie might draw the line on mandating vaccines.

I think you've been too forgiving, but I guess that's where we'll disagree.

Why am I not surprised that Fox News of all people would actually post the Jordanian murder video, and show stills of it on their network?

They showed the death or just portions before the death?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They showed the actual video?! What in the name of fuck is wrong with them?

ivysaur12

Banned
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet? Unless it has?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/obama-irriated-romney-2012-concession-david-axelrod-article-1.2102383

President Obama was shocked and irritated by Mitt Romney's concession call in the 2012 presidential election—and claimed Romney insinuated that Obama won only by getting out the black vote, according to a new book by presidential campaign strategist David Axelrod.

Obama was "unsmiling during the call, and slightly irritated when it was over," Axelrod writes.

The president hung up and said Romney admitted he was surprised at his own loss, Axelrod wrote.

"'You really did a great job of getting the vote out in places like Cleveland and Milwaukee,' in other words, black people,'" Obama said, paraphrasing Romney. "That's what he thinks this was all about."

Mittens!

I said CONTENDER
Edit: Beaten.

I don't even know why Huntsman wants to be a Republican anyway. Train has left the station buddy.
Hey, you asked for a republican that doesn't say dumb shit and aint batshit insane. Had to trim a word somewhere to find someone that fit the criteria.

Now? Because he saw what happened to the republican lite in Florida, would be my guess.

ivysaur12

Banned
Also, let's put the California prop system to use for good (for once) and get rid of the philosophical opt-out for vaccines. The campaign can have an adorable cow as its mascot to "protect the herd immunity". Everyone hearts mascots.

KAMALA IT'S ME I HAVE AN IDEA

Sounds typical of Romney. Republicans convinced themselves he would win and a part of it was assuming black turnout would crater - it didn't of course, along with women, Hispanic and youth turnout which made up broader pieces of the puzzle. But the GOP doesn't want to face up to their problems with those constituencies, so let's just blame black people (who they can win without).

Romney was seriously deluded. Everyone watching the campaign knew that. His pollsters were feeding him garbage and he was loving it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Nice.

@AP
BREAKING: Gov. Rick Snyder says Michigan will recognize about 300 same-sex marriages performed in 2014.

Not nice.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/scott-walkers-uw-mission-rewrite-could-end-the-wisconsin-idea-b99439020z1-290797681.html

Gov. Scott Walker's proposed budget calls for essentially removing the public service language from the University of Wisconsin System's mission to focus more on workforce development, according to language released Wednesday morning.

The Wisconsin Idea has long been the core philosophy of the UW System, driving campuses to extend their reach into communities and "every family in the state."

That mission also is linked to Wisconsin public radio and TV. The Walker budget cuts $5 million in state funding from the public service media. State funding makes up about 10% of the budget for their programming operations, according to a spokesman for the governor.

"I'm nearly speechless," said Mark Schwartz, a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee distinguished professor of geography and chairman of the faculty University Committee. "The budget cuts are one thing. This aims at the heart of the Wisconsin Idea,and smashes it."

Walker is proposing cutting $150 million from the UW System budget each of the next two years — a 13% cut. Walker says that creating a public authority for the university system — guided by new language in state statutes — would give the system autonomy from the state to help it be more efficient and run campuses as it sees fit.

lol

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/i-think-we-just-recognized-gay-marriage-lawmaker-says-after/article_ec438da2-9d0f-54ff-a8cc-9491e4564730.html#.VNJjRIKF77o.twitter

LINCOLN — Granting military spouses the right to carry concealed handguns in Nebraska triggered a debate over gay marriage Tuesday in the Nebraska Legislature.

Current law allows nonresident military members to apply for a concealed gun permit without having to first live in Nebraska for 180 days to establish residency. A bill advanced from the first round of debate on a 37-4 vote would waive the residency period for military spouses who want to apply for gun permits.

Sen. Paul Schumacher of Columbus, however, questioned whether the bill would allow same-sex spouses to obtain gun permits given Nebraska’s constitutional ban on gay marriage. He proposed an amendment so the gun privilege would apply to anyone receiving the federal benefits of a military spouse.

The Department of Defense extended benefits to same-sex spouses in 2013 following a U.S. Supreme Court decision that struck down the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

“Is not the Second Amendment sex blind? Color blind?” Schumacher said. “What great evil would come from saying a partner of somebody in the military … is entitled to exercise their Second Amendment rights to carry a concealed weapon in this state?”
The amendment was adopted by a vote of 38-0.

Sen. John Murante of Gretna, who did not vote for or against the bill, expressed concern that the Schumacher amendment could be used to challenge Nebraska’s ban on same-sex marriage.

“I think we just recognized gay marriage,” he said moments after the vote. “We are now using the federal government’s standard for who receives marriage benefits.”

Jesus fuck Wisconsin.

This is just depressing, these universities are being forced to go from serious academic institutions (or areas of subversive thought in Walker's eyes), to pathetic degree mills. This anti-intellectualism that's flourished in America since 1980 is going to cause irreversible damage. This is happening in Ohio right now as well.

Maybe Walker is just trying to get back at the people who made fun of him for not graduating college.

Jesus fuck Wisconsin.

This is just depressing, these universities are being forced to go from serious academic institutions (or areas of subversive thought in Walker's eyes), to pathetic degree mills. This anti-intellectualism that's flourished in America since 1980 is going to cause irreversible damage. This is happening in Ohio right now as well.

Maybe Walker is just trying to get back at the people who made fun of him for not graduating college.

I wonder what would happen if the entire faculty and staff were to quit (In May, after the semester).

Would Scotty shit himself or throw a party?

ivysaur12

Banned
Hmm.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/04/chris-christie-new-jersey-vaccine-program?CMP=share_btn_tw

New Jersey governor Chris Christie’s administration does not participate in a national program embraced by several of his potential rivals for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination that advises new parents to vaccinate their young children against measles and other diseases.

Governors and senior health officials from 28 states send signed cards to new mothers congratulating them on giving birth and providing them with a detachable checklist of immunisations that their infants should obtain before they are two years old. Christie is not among them, according to the New Jersey department of health.

“One of your most important roles as a parent is to make sure your baby is immunised,” says the message in a recent version of the card. “Keeping your little one healthy means starting immunisations by two months of age.” The advice and checklist are reviewed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The card lists recommended vaccinations, including the combined shot against measles, mumps and rubella that some campaigners continue to link to cases of autism in children, despite this being repeatedly and comprehensively debunked by medical researchers.

Governors whose states distribute the signed vaccination cards include Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Bobby Jindal of Louisiana and Mike Pence of Indiana, all of whom are viewed as potential opponents to Christie for the Republican presidential nomination. Former governors Rick Perry of Texas, Jeb Bush of Florida and Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, who are also considered likely candidates, all sent out the cards during their tenures.

New Jersey participated in the program under former Republican governors such as Christie Whitman and Donald DiFrancesco. Yet Donna Leusner, the communications director for Christie’s department of health, said the state had not taken part under the administrations of Christie or his predecessor Jon Corzine, a Democrat.

Kevin Roberts, a spokesman for Christie, said in an email that he was “not familiar with the program”. Roberts did not respond to further questions about why Christie did not participate.

benjipwns

Banned
I assume Corzine stole it on the way out of office. Or maybe he lost during that traffic accident.

EDIT: Actually, reading that again it appears Jim McGreevey probably gave it to Israel through a boyfriend.

NeoXChaos

I told you all. Christie is a walking bomb. He is constantly self imploding. This guy will lose in a landslide if he gets to the general.

Christie is no threat to Hillary. The "tell it how it is" "tough guy" Christie is not going to play well nationally. He will put his foot in his mouth and say or do something stupid like he is now. Imagine Christie on the debate stage raging at Hillary. He will do a Lazzio moment in the 2nd debate, guarantee it if he gets that far.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I told you all. Christie is a walking bomb. He is constantly self imploding. This guy will lose in a landslide if he gets to the general.

Christie is no threat to Hillary. The "tell it how it is" "tough guy" Christie is not going to play well nationally. He will put his foot in his mouth and say or do something stupid like he is now. Imagine Christie on the debate stage raging at Hillary. He will do a Lazzio moment in the 2nd debate, guarantee it if he gets that far.

Been saying that for a while, he can't help but implode. The only reason he made it as far as he did is because he's in Jersey.

HylianTom

Banned
He actually gave a speech on income inequality... I think yesterday? Framed it as the "opportunity gap."
Sounds like something the freepers would complain about, actually. I need to see if they've reacted to it.. :p

Found it!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3253968/posts

Pretty safe comments on his part. I'm really looking forward to when he has to wade out into deeper, choppier water. Hillary seems to be playing it pretty cool right now as well.

Sounds like something the freepers would complain about, actually. I need to see if they've reacted to it.. :p

Found it!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3253968/posts

Pretty safe comments on his part. I'm really looking forward to when he has to wade out into deeper, choppier water. Hillary seems to be playing it pretty cool right now as well.

All of the "just run as Democrat" type comments are hilarious considering how some people around here feel about Hillary.

NeoXChaos

The emerging Republican advantage.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/the-emerging-republican-advantage-20150130

"NONE OF THIS is to suggest that America is headed toward an era of Republican domination. Going forward, the country's politics is likely to remain on a seesaw. What's clear, however, is that the Democratic advantage of several years ago is gone. And the seeds of a slight Republican advantage appear to have taken root, particularly in governor's mansions, state legislatures, and the U.S. House, where Republicans sport majorities they haven't enjoyed since the Hoover-Coolidge 1920s.

In 2016, with the economy picking up, the Democrats could take back the Senate from the Republicans, who have to defend seven seats in states that Obama won. But they are unlikely to win back the House or a majority of statehouses soon. Much of the Republican edge in midterms—which really dates from 1994—has less to do with generic voting habits than with the degree to which Republicans enjoy advantages among the political grassroots—through churches and tea-party-like groups as well as business and civic organizations—that Democrats have had a difficult time countering. For decades, Democrats depended on organized labor at the grassroots level, but labor's clout seems to be receding every year.

In presidential elections, the Democratic coalition remains formidable, and the ranks of minorities and professionals—both Democratic constituencies—continue to swell. But the party may still have a difficult time winning the presidency next year. For one thing, it's tough for either party to win three terms in a row in the White House. And in the case of the Democrats in 2016, defections from the white working class and the middle class will also continue to loom large."

So Aaron what do you think of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom