• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I was watching another debate on the Obamacare subsidies with Michael Cannon, and this asshat is actually feigning outrage at the White House for trying to continue to enroll people on Healthcare.gov, even though there's a possibility that the SC may strike down the subsidies and thus wouldn't that be so terrible for all these people?

Fucking scum.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Also the Republicans' last Senate candidate in NH was a Senator from Massachusetts so like, what the actual fuck.

Quinnipiac polls of Colorado, Iowa, Virginia for 2016

Colorado:

Clinton 43 Paul 41
Clinton 43 Christie 34
Clinton 44 Bush 36
Clinton 42 Walker 40
Clinton 44 Huckabee 39

Iowa:

Clinton 45 Huckabee 38
Clinton 45 Paul 37
Clinton 44 Christie 34
Clinton 45 Bush 35
Clinton 45 Walker 35

Virginia:

Clinton 44 Bush 44
Clinton 44 Paul 42
Clinton 44 Huckabee 41
Clinton 44 Christie 39
Clinton 45 Walker 40

Clinton as usual is the most well-known of the candidates, followed by Christie and Bush. Walker is more of an unknown quantity and that might be holding down his numbers a bit. It's comforting to know that Clinton is doing great in Iowa which people seem to be very rashly writing off along with Wisconsin and Ohio.

I am confident that the more the general public would learn about what Walker has done in Wisconsin, the more his numbers will plummet.

I am confident that the more the general public would learn about what Walker has done in Wisconsin, the more his numbers will plummet.
His record isn't bad enough to inspire outrage at a state level during a midterm, but it's so thoroughly mediocre at best that I don't think it'll be a very great asset at the national level. Plus you want to inspire union turnout in the general election? Pit Hillary against this creep.

NeoXChaos

I would comment on these new early poll numbers but I wont. Like last time, my answer is in the first sentence.

Although that Virginia number bothers me but the Iowa number surprises me & Christie is a terrible nominee choice. He wont make past Iowa.

I'm so sick of this ISIS obession in the media. Its a real problem for the middle east and seemingly europe (though even then its not a existential threat)

but you'd think the sky was falling and were all under invasion. It further plays into the propaganda war that's being waged. Isis is seemingly controlling the narrative and the media is all to happy to play a long because they get a few more dead people to talk about.

Obama's done a pretty god job of using restrained power and keeping americans safe but the media is seemingly trying to drag us into another unwinable war. that has no objective besides "kill a bunch of people because"

benjipwns

Banned
Bush's foreign policy team revealed. Paul Wolfowitz and company getting dragged out again.
NORIEGA?!?

hair-noem.png
My hair is what the fuck, your argument is invalid.

NeoXChaos

His record isn't bad enough to inspire outrage at a state level during a midterm, but it's so thoroughly mediocre at best that I don't think it'll be a very great asset at the national level. Plus you want to inspire union turnout in the general election? Pit Hillary against this creep.

I'd rather Christie. The guy will surely self destruct in the general "if" he makes it that far.

Donald Rumsfeld in his interview with Fox News on February 8, 2011, said that Wolfowitz was the first to bring up Iraq after the 9/11 attacks during a meeting at the presidential retreat at Camp David.

A trilogy in the works?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

That's what I mean. He hasn't really hit the public eye so not a lot of people know about him. Once they do, those numbers will drop.

He's not terrible, but incredibly mediocre.

With the signup deadline now past, we have a pretty good idea of how many people will be getting health care coverage via Obamacare in 2015. Here's a rough estimate:

+11.4 million: confirmed signups for private coverage.
-1.8 million: likely attrition rate (nonpayers, dropped coverage, etc.)
+9 million: covered via Medicaid expansion
The Medicaid number will rise throughout the year, and is higher if you use a looser way of counting. Needless to say, it would also be higher if all the holdout states joined in. For now, though, using a strict count just through February, the Obamacare total stands at about 18.6 million people—and will likely rise a bit more thanks to state extensions of the deadline. So call it 19 million or so.

That's a lot of people. If you got into politics to help actual people with actual problems, you should be damn proud of voting for the Affordable Care Act in 2010. No other legislation of at least the past two decades even comes close to its real-world impact.
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/02/obamacare-will-cover-about-19-million-people-year

The ACA has been a resounding success. A much greater success than most people, myself included, thought it would be.

yet, there is hardly a peep about this. It's quite infuriating, really.

Oh, but when the IRS wants some money back from people being oversubsidized, we're going to hear about it. A lot.

Fucking hell.

Wilsongt

I signed up this weekend. Despite having not made any money since august, I didn't get a subsidy and couldn't sign up for medicaid because I live in SC.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Also the Republicans' last Senate candidate in NH was a Senator from Massachusetts so like, what the actual fuck.

Quinnipiac polls of Colorado, Iowa, Virginia for 2016

Colorado:

Clinton 43 Paul 41
Clinton 43 Christie 34
Clinton 44 Bush 36
Clinton 42 Walker 40
Clinton 44 Huckabee 39

Iowa:

Clinton 45 Huckabee 38
Clinton 45 Paul 37
Clinton 44 Christie 34
Clinton 45 Bush 35
Clinton 45 Walker 35

Virginia:

Clinton 44 Bush 44
Clinton 44 Paul 42
Clinton 44 Huckabee 41
Clinton 44 Christie 39
Clinton 45 Walker 40

Clinton as usual is the most well-known of the candidates, followed by Christie and Bush. Walker is more of an unknown quantity and that might be holding down his numbers a bit. It's comforting to know that Clinton is doing great in Iowa which people seem to be very rashly writing off along with Wisconsin and Ohio.

Interesting to combine that with Quinnipiac polls from 2 weeks ago:

Florida:

Clinton 44 Bush 43
Clinton 51 Christie 33
Clinton 50 Paul 38
Clinton 51 Huckabee 34
Clinton 49 Rubio 39

Ohio:

Clinton 47 Bush 36
Clinton 47 Christie 34
Clinton 48 Paul 36
Clinton 49 Huckabee 34
Clinton 44 Kasich 43

Ohio is Republican's biggest relative obstacle right now. Without that, it's completely over regardless of every other swing state.

It's also interesting to see Bush do so badly in Colorado, and Paul/Christie doing so bad in Florida. Republicans likely need both states in order to win, so they're kind of screwing themselves in one key state no matter which way they go.

I wouldn't bank on those gaps holding, but I would say it's probably a good indication of how the electoral map is shaping up. These polls indicate Ohio being the actual tipping point state this time, unlike the last two times when it was just frosting on the cake after Obama winning so strongly and sealing the deal in Colorado and Iowa.

Unless Kasich gets the nomination of course, but what are the chances of that happening?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

To be clear, this is guilt by association. According to Media Matters, Limbaugh once said (no more recently than 2011) that the American Thinker was "one of my most favorite and thoughtful blogs." So, according to Media Matters, Limbaugh should be called upon to answer for everything published by AT. An endorsement of anything they publish is an endorsement of everything they publish, apparently.

Oblivion

To be clear, this is guilt by association. According to Media Matters, Limbaugh once said (no more recently than 2011) that the American Thinker was "one of my most favorite and thoughtful blogs." So, according to Media Matters, Limbaugh should be called upon to answer for everything published by AT. An endorsement of anything they publish is an endorsement of everything they publish, apparently.

Hmm? Were MM indicting Limbaugh or the American Thinker? Seemed pretty clear they were commenting on the latter.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm so sick of this ISIS obession in the media. Its a real problem for the middle east and seemingly europe (though even then its not a existential threat)

but you'd think the sky was falling and were all under invasion. It further plays into the propaganda war that's being waged. Isis is seemingly controlling the narrative and the media is all to happy to play a long because they get a few more dead people to talk about.
Exactly, especially when there's a more serious threat right here at home: http://www.isaaclatterell.com/2015/02/17/planned-parenthood-worse-than-isis-and-lying-about-it/
Most states including South Dakota allow for the death penalty for murderers. There are certain revolting methods of execution, such as beheading, that no state would ever permit, even against murderers who use this method on their victims. It is this revulsion that leads us to rightly condemn the beheadings committed by unconscionably violent soldiers in the Middle East.

Planned Parenthood abortionists in Sioux Falls are similarly beheading unborn children during dismemberment abortions. This method has been described by the Supreme Court in Gonzales v. Carhart as a procedure that is: “laden with the power to devalue human life,” and is as brutal, if not more so, than Intact Dilation and Extraction (D&X or partial birth) abortions.”

Most people are unaware that this is happening, because Planned Parenthood of Sioux Falls denies that they behead or otherwise dismember unborn children.

No state, no religion, and no organization should ever be allowed to use this unspeakably horrifying method. While we rightly take the speck out of our neighbor’s eye by holding ISIS accountable, let us be sure to take the plank out of our own eye by holding Planned Parenthood accountable.

benjipwns

Banned
Really, dude? We're defending Rush now?
Sometimes it'd be nice to just shit on the person who said or did something dumb rather than try to rope in thinly connected and much more popular others and change the story.

Media Matters should be getting to the bottom of this story instead, this is now clear evidence that Obama is a Muslim, I present to you the facts at hand:
1. His time in Indonesia.
2. Terrorist fist jabs.
3. Islamic finger pointing.
4. Partaking in the favorite Muslim past-time: killing Muslims.

I rest my case. Your witness.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sometimes it'd be nice to just shit on the person who said or did something dumb rather than try to rope in thinly connected and much more popular others and change the story.

Media Matters should be getting to the bottom of this story instead, this is now clear evidence that Obama is a Muslim, I present to you the facts at hand:
1. His time in Indonesia.
2. Terrorist fist jabs.
3. Islamic finger pointing.
4. Partaking in the favorite Muslim past-time: killing Muslims.

I rest my case. Your witness.

Don't forget about this:

ep6klEs.gif

Definitive proof! Why is no one reporting on this document?!

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Really, dude? We're defending Rush now?

Against spurious accusations? Sure. "I don't like this person or that group" is no justification for intellectual laziness. If you want to criticize Rush, you have 30 years of broadcasts to choose from.

Anyhow, I thought you said the article wasn't about Rush...

Ohio is Republican's biggest relative obstacle right now. Without that, it's completely over regardless of every other swing state.

It's also interesting to see Bush do so badly in Colorado, and Paul/Christie doing so bad in Florida. Republicans likely need both states in order to win, so they're kind of screwing themselves in one key state no matter which way they go.

I wouldn't bank on those gaps holding, but I would say it's probably a good indication of how the electoral map is shaping up. These polls indicate Ohio being the actual tipping point state this time, unlike the last two times when it was just frosting on the cake after Obama winning so strongly and sealing the deal in Colorado and Iowa.

Unless Kasich gets the nomination of course, but what are the chances of that happening?
Republicans' problem is they really need just about every major swing state to pull off a win. They'd need OH, FL, VA, NC (on top of the 191 reliably Republican electoral votes) plus yet another state to win. CO was the next closest state between Obama and Romney, but the large Hispanic population means it'd take a perfect storm for them to win it, and that's followed by PA which is pretty inelastic (and Hillary's approval ratings there are very high). IA is the state that I think would break for the Republicans in this situation, but other than that you need to start looking at fanciful scenarios like the GOP somehow picking up PA, MI or MN for them to win.

And of course, it's early yet but Hillary's numbers in these and other polls are looking very similar to Obama's 2008 performance. If she ends up in that ballpark there might even be a slim chance Democrats could reclaim the House majority - most analysts suggest it would take a 7 point popular vote margin of victory which is what Obama managed in 2008. Just need to make sure Hillary has strong enough coattails. Even swinging 20 seats or so would be good (and about where I think Democrats would max out).

Against spurious accusations? Sure. "I don't like this person or that group" is no justification for intellectual laziness. If you want to criticize Rush, you have 30 years of broadcasts to choose from.

I think there is a line where you can legitimately use association as a reflection of character. This seems really flimsy though. And as you said Rush as enough stupid shit that we don't need to make him responsible for this.

That being said the kind of relationship of the Paul family and say alex jones runs a bit deeper than a one off comment praising it.

It makes you wonder if secret Muslims have taken over the media to push their left-wing secular agenda.

Its been centuries in the making

[He] sais “neither Pagan nor Mahamedan [Muslim] nor Jew ought to be excluded from the civil rights of the Commonwealth because of his religion.”
 — Thomas Jefferson, quoting John Locke, 1776

Oblivion

It's not, but that doesn't mean he deserves to go uncriticized at any time.

It's what separates us from the dinosaurs.

Its been centuries in the making

Even longer, actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

Wilsongt

A friend of mine posted an infographic on his facebook walk about how Obama is everyone's president.

Two old ladies then proceed to say "That is not my president!"

Me being me then had to respond "Say it a third time and maybe Reaganjuice will appear".

I don't understand old, white Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom