• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's not the end, overall, but the direct impact on the current election is what's bringing me down. I hope the same about the poll tax as was already ruled by a federal judge and, based on the tweets I read this morning, stated by Ginsburg too.
i do kinda buy benjis study that it might end up being a net positive for dems as it gives them a thing that really fires up the base and gives a reason to vote.

Victimhood mobilizes, see 2004 and the poor straight Christians ( voter supression is real victimization but it works the same as false)

I think dems should be fighting for extended early voting and absentee voting and keep the voter id boogeyman as pure strategy

Cat

i do kinda buy benjis study that it might end up being a net positive for dems as ir gives them a thing that really fires up the base and gives a reason to vote.

Victimhood mobilizes (its real victimization but it works the same as false)

I think dems should be fighting for extended early voting and absentee voting and keep the voter id boogeyman as pure strategy

I'd be happy to see a result like that. I'm certainly motivated.

What's up with TPM's recent Chuck Todd obsession? Last week they had a story about Todd *gasp* playing a musical instrument, now they have a story about his recent Facebook chat disaster.

Ecotic

Which sites should people be looking at, then? You've essentially poopoo'd TPM, Thingprogress, and a few others.

I personally don't even bother with purely political websites anymore, and haven't in years. American politics really isn't that complicated and wasting time reading small-ball minutiae contributes little to increasing your overall knowledge base of the world. There's really no surprises anymore, the headlines practically fill themselves in anyway:

X Republican Governor signs Y bill that strips Z of rights.
X Republican Legislature passes crippling tax cuts/abortion restrictions/Voter ID law that harms (insert minority group here)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Which sites should people be looking at, then?

I can think of one: The real most trusted name in news.

pipe_smoking.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hell, at this point, I'll settle for the Dems losing the senate if it means Ernst loses. She's the most openly batshit senate candidate, and having her win sets a dangerous precedent.

NeoXChaos

Another Dem pollster gives Udall a 3 point lead

This was Obama's pollster in 2012

Udall winning Hispanics by 20? cant be right.

Looking ahead to 2016, I cant see a path to victory for Kirk Toomey or Johnson if LA, AR and AK go down despite all the millions pouring in as we speak. Kirk should be looking at those 3 and be scared. Guaranteed increased turnout as well as their states voting for the D's going back to 1988 & 1992.

Perhaps the immigration fumble hurt democrats, and the Hispanic dem advantage decreases? I don't expect it to happen of course, but I'm curious to see if there's any blowback on this.
I don't buy it, we were told in 2012 that Hispanic turnout would be terrible because Obama didn't deliver on immigration reform and it didn't happen.

NeoXChaos

Hell, at this point, I'll settle for the Dems losing the senate if it means Ernst loses. She's the most openly batshit senate candidate, and having her win sets a dangerous precedent.

She might get her wish because of Braley. He has ran an awful campaign considering the fundamentals of the race favored him. The D's have been good at fielding candidates and idk whats going on this year. Its like the R's and D's swapped places. Walsh imploded, stubborn Schweitzer didnt run, Reid and Daschle feud over Weiland and herseth sandlin, Tennant going down, Grimes flub, Mark "Uterus" etc.

Its like the good D candidates are waiting to ride on a hypothetical Hillary Clinton 2016 coattails that may or may not happen. I will not be surprise come 2016, D's will pull out all the stops to win the Senate & House. I think that election is the last time they have a shot before further demographic changes allows them to IF Hillary Clinton runs a GOOD campaign and the R's is BAD.

So how do you tell someone who says that we should have kept troops in Iraq even after the Status of Forces agreement expired in violation of sovereignty that they are wrong, without resorting to name calling and head shaking?

It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen someone written, yet I'm at a loss to respond.

I just went with, "I'm sure Russia thought they would be fine after they invaded the Ukraine as well."

I love that Republicans only platform for attacking Democrats in Senate and House campaigns seems to be tying them to Obama. Nothing to do with his policy, just that they are akin to him. Nothing else seems to be a focus, and yet they find it odd people accuse them of being marginally racist. I guess when your beliefs are so backwards ass all you can do is avoid talking about them...

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I love that Republicans only platform for attacking Democrats in Senate and House campaigns seems to be tying them to Obama. Nothing to do with his policy, just that they are akin to him. Nothing else seems to be a focus, and yet they find it odd people accuse them of being marginally racist. I guess when your beliefs are so backwards ass all you can do is avoid talking about them...
Well, there's Obama's mishandling of Ebola too. If only he identified more with Americans instead of those Africans...

She might get her wish because of Braley. He has ran an awful campaign considering the fundamentals of the race favored him. The D's have been good at fielding candidates and idk whats going on this year. Its like the R's and D's swapped places. Walsh imploded, stubborn Schweitzer didnt run, Reid and Daschle feud over Weiland and herseth sandlin, Tennant going down, Grimes flub, Mark "Uterus" etc.

Its like the good D candidates are waiting to ride on a hypothetical Hillary Clinton 2016 coattails that may or may not happen. I will not be surprise come 2016, D's will pull out all the stops to win the Senate & House. I think that election is the last time they have a shot before further demographic changes allows them to IF Hillary Clinton runs a GOOD campaign and the R's is BAD.
Walsh was a bust and Schweitzer is a jerk.

Seeing as how Weiland stands a decent chance of winning I wouldn't call that recruitment fail, nor would I say Herseth Sandlin would be better. Maybe in the sense that she'd have a better shot at winning but certainly not on policy in which she is significantly to the right of Weiland in every aspect.

If Tennant and Grimes lose it won't be on account of their candidacies, they're the best we could have hoped for in such solid red states. Short of maybe Rockefeller running again or Beshear running against McConnell.

Udall's campaign is fine. This race immediately got tougher once Gardner jumped in.

NeoXChaos

Walsh was a bust and Schweitzer is a jerk.

Seeing as how Weiland stands a decent chance of winning I wouldn't call that recruitment fail, nor would I say Herseth Sandlin would be better. Maybe in the sense that she'd have a better shot at winning but certainly not on policy in which she is significantly to the right of Weiland in every aspect.

If Tennant and Grimes lose it won't be on account of their candidacies, they're the best we could have hoped for in such solid red states. Short of maybe Rockefeller running again or Beshear running against McConnell.

Udall's campaign is fine. This race immediately got tougher once Gardner jumped in.

I agree and for the record I see great futures for them all win or lose. Grimes win or lose has a great future ahead of her. If she loses she can run again in the future. I have no doubt she will come back stronger than before. McConnell seems to be a lifer though but I believe I would love to see a rematch in 2020 with different results. McConnell (no ill will to him) will probably stay until he dies. I dont see him or Reid EVER leaving that place. Tennant is a solid candidate running in a unfavorable environment. The race was Capito's to lose the moment she announced. Props to Tennant for stepping in for the D's. I hope if Manchin runs for Gov and wins she is appointed.

In a possible Thune retirement, Sandlin would be perfect though Noem will probably be formidable against her.

I guess for some races, the Senator's political expiration date(ready to vote long time incumbent out) hasn't come to pass yet.

NeoXChaos

Especially if that 50th seat were riding on the outcome of that race.. (similar to the LA race)

Yes. Landrieu survival for the runoff I believe hangs on Udall, Braley, Orman, Shaheen & Kay Hagan winning. If they win, Senate control wont be hanging around her neck in the case of a Nunn runoff. If Senate balance falls to Landrieu or D's have it she wins. If R's have it by then, say hello to the first Republican duo since Reconstruction

All we really need to avoid a GOP Senate is for Nunn and Udall to hold on, while Orman takes Kansas, right? I'm pretty optimistic about all three of those.

Perhaps the immigration fumble hurt democrats, and the Hispanic dem advantage decreases? I don't expect it to happen of course, but I'm curious to see if there's any blowback on this.

Yeah, that's right PD . . . they are instead going to favor the party that blames them for bringing Ebola into the country in starving kids looking for work & food. Good thinking.

ivysaur12

Banned
Nunn needs to get 50%+1. This is why the race is so difficult - recent polling has her near 50, but ugh, crossing that line.

3rd parties usually poll better than they actually do though, right? If anything, the Libertarian should cannibalize Perdue.

Hagan, Orman, Udall and Braley winning makes it 50+Biden

Shaheen, Peters, Frankin and gang=46

And if Nunn wins, only one of Udall and Braley needs to win (probably Braley).

CO and IA will tell us how the night will end for the D's and R's. Win and the D's probably keep control. Lose and its a R+8 victory.
Co is mail in probably will take a while there is a better than 50% we wont know senate control till after the 4th.

La run off
Oregon
AK
CO
Ga runoff?

NeoXChaos

Co is mail in probably will take a while there is a better than 50% we wont know senate control till after the 4th.

La run off
Oregon
AK
CO
Ga runoff?

I have a gut feeling you are right and we wont know on the 4th. This year electorate will be like no other. There will be shockers, upsets, and tears on both sides. I wont be shocked if McConnell by miracle goes down.

2 more weeks. BTW will election day discussion be here or in a new thread? I am new here

Having GA and SD be realistic possibilities for Democrats has helped big time in making me think we could keep the majority since there's more pathways to 50. Besides WV and MT which were forfeited long ago pretty much every Dem-held seat is still on the map as are KS, GA and KY.

NeoXChaos said:
2 more weeks. BTW will election day discussion be here or in a new thread? I am new here
It'll be in here. Poligaf threads go until the new year or they hit 200 pages (400 for scrubs - 20,000 posts in other words). The title/OP might change depending on what happens.

Having GA and SD be realistic possibilities for Democrats has helped big time in making me think we could keep the majority since there's more pathways to 50. Besides WV and MT which were forfeited long ago pretty much every Dem-held seat is still on the map as are KS, GA and KY.

It'll be in here. Poligaf threads go until the new year or they hit 200 pages (400 for scrubs - 20,000 posts in other words). The title/OP might change depending on what happens.
There will be an ot thread but I imagine it will split. With a lot of us in here. I'll be drunk posting from my phone. I'm hoping to be at a victory party or something.

I wont be shocked if McConnell by miracle goes down.

I doubt it these days. Grimes is running the worst campaign I've ever seen, and somehow still fairly even. I honestly think she'd have a healthy lead if she actually talked to the press and got some word out. As it stands she's basically running on a platform of; Mitch McConnell is old and I'm not, I'm not Obama, and DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS. I have only heard a handful of stances come out of her and it's pretty generic Democrat-tier stuff avoiding any solid stances on "hot" issues.

Wilsongt

Nunn is really pounding the airwaves here in Georgia about David Perdue's outsourcing comments. It feels like she's had the momentum ever since. She can win if the ad dollars just keep flowing.

This ad is terrific and getting play everywhere.

Omg... I just listened to his interview about why he was proud of outsourcing.

He contradicted himself by saying "Yeah, I am proud of it. Businesses have to do it." And then states "Well, industries have been decimated by bad policies."

Bad policies of outsourcing because the CEOs were greedy.

This is why business people don't need to be in politics.

I never really got the hate with outsourcing. What's wrong with letting them outsource but up the taxes of profit of the company and automatically give people that make less than $X per hour state issued wages (i.e. money from the government)? That way wages don't go down and people who get laid off don't feel as big as a burn.

So I was reading RGB used "unconstitutional poll tax" in her dissent to the courts order.

Did they use that in the indiana case or use the 14th equal protection dissent?

Edit: I see no mention of the 24th in a brief look at marion county.

Milwaukee County’s Republican Elections Commissioner Rick Baas warned a crowd of volunteers and supporters Friday night to be “concerned about voter fraud,” and urged the hundreds of attendees to take an “extra step of vigilance.” “You as a Wisconsin resident can challenge people who are not supposed to be voting,” he said at the Milwaukee County Republicans event. “You’ve got to do that.”
http://thinkprogress.org/election/2...blicans-vow-to-challenge-voters-at-the-polls/

When white people challenge and suppressing the vote is chill.

This though

BlackPanthers_2008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom