• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't get to make claims like that in you first sentence without backing them up. Show me the receipts.

And I didn't say I think the current system is best. I said I think it's better than your proposed system of unelected nominally non-partisan bureaucrats deciding when and how citizens get to vote on the politicians who appointed the bureaucrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(United_States)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws_in_the_United_States

I think it was Texas where to get a Voter ID card you need to present like 3 kinds of primary documents...or a gun permit. Because that makes sense.

I hope the article lays out how this is possible.
At large districts, CA type reforms
We had to give up some tenants of liberal democracy in order to save it.
No we don't
And is total bullshit.
I'll give you that, also probably a poll tax if they use Roberts type logic of a tax on everyone but a refund for voting

I think it was Texas where to get a Voter ID card you need to present like 3 kinds of primary documents...or a gun permit. Because that makes sense.

Innovation! and it saves us from the federal tyranny.

I still don't get why we haven't made election day a national holiday and given everyone the day off.
Making election day a national holiday would help, but it also should be easier for non-salaried employees to get off work to vote.
It's shameful that Election Day isn't a national holiday.
why are you guys talking about making tuesday a holiday? Move it to the weekend like the UK. In fact make it all weekend or all month. What's the problem with that?
Election day should be a paid holiday. Period. No one should have to work.
Why? It doesn't increase turnout.

And imagine how many businesses would take off Monday as well for one big four-day holiday weekend shopping extravaganza!

"SALE SALE SALE! Start your holiday shopping early this year, and happy Election Day!"
And that's one reason it definitely shouldn't be. Only dirty poors don't take advantage of potential four day weekends.

benjipwns

Banned
At large districts, CA type reforms
But the problem with At Large/Multi-member districts is that they eliminate the notion of community representation. Which is essential to representative democracy. If I live in Traverse City, I don't want a representative who operates out of Detroit, let alone never seen Lake Michigan. Wherever the most voters for the winners live would export their waste into the rest of the district.

No we don't
If we have to destroy a free press like was being suggested.

I'll give you that, also probably a poll tax if they use Roberts type logic of a tax on everyone but a refund for voting
Ugh, barf. "How did you spend your voting refund??" So many people to strangle, so little time.

What if a law was passed requiring proof of voting? Civic duty and all.
I'll tell you what I told AFSCME and the League of Conservation Voters. Fuck off, slavers.

I know in some states to get a gun permit requires those primary documents, so you can skip the step. Similar to how a drivers license works in others since it requires other primary documents to get.

Michigan's law to get a non-drivers citizens ID requires three photo ID's (or did) plus birth certificate/social security card which I always thought kinda defeated the purpose. I don't have a photo ID, that's why I want THIS ONE!

Angry Fork

If people are talking hypotheticals I don't know why so many in here mentioned the holiday option for voting. It wouldn't guarantee higher turnout like the other poster said.

Just make voting a mandatory civic duty, it's the most obvious solution. We make jury duty, taxes, licenses etc. mandatory (and those are all worthwhile and should remain mandatory), but not voting? The most important one of all? It's so dumb.

I know in some states to get a gun permit requires those primary documents, so you can skip the step. Similar to how a drivers license works in others since it requires other primary documents to get.

Michigan's law to get a non-drivers citizens ID requires three photo ID's (or did) plus birth certificate/social security card which I always thought kinda defeated the purpose. I don't have a photo ID, that's why I want THIS ONE!

I think in the situation in question you only needed a photo ID to get one of those Gun Permits, but to get a Voter ID card you need proof of citizenship, residency, right to work, and a Photo ID or some nonsense like that. That Michigan Law sounds ridiculous, how was anyone supposed to be able to get one lol?

EDIT: Just realized, nobody was intended to get one...

But the problem with At Large/Multi-member districts is that they eliminate the notion of community representation. Which is essential to representative democracy. If I live in Traverse City, I don't want a representative who operates out of Detroit, let alone never seen Lake Michigan. Wherever the most voters for the winners live would export their waste into the rest of the district.
IT doesn't eliminate the notion of community representation, (you could have multimember districts too) it eliminates land voting
If we have to destroy a free press like was being suggested.
No it doesn't but its useless arguing this

Ugh, barf. "How did you spend your voting refund??" So many people to strangle, so little time.
I was just pointing out how the ACA fines fall under the taxing power. They raised taxes on everyone but excuse the tax for those that purchase healthcare, they could do the same for voting but then they'd could be open for taxing voting (its not exactly the same but its still is a weird forced speech since not voting is a form of speech).

Jooney

<Reasonable Arguments>

I was being facetious.

You don't get to make claims like that in you first sentence without backing them up. Show me the receipts.

Election identification certificates were designed for the 600,000 to 750,000 voters who lack any of the six officially recognized forms of photo ID needed at the polls, according to estimates developed by the Texas secretary of state and the U.S. Department of Justice. Legislators created the EICs, which are free, in part to quell criticism that enforcing the state's much-litigated ID law amounted to a poll tax that could disenfranchise low-income and minority voters.

But as of Thursday, only 371 EICs had been issued across Texas since June 2013. By comparison, Georgia issued 2,182 free voter ID cards during its first year enforcing a voter ID law in 2006, and Mississippi has issued 2,539 in the 10 months its new law has been in place. Both states accept more forms of photo identification at polls than Texas does, so fewer voters there would need to apply for election-specific IDs.

In Texas, some would-be voters are hitting roadblocks.

Pryor said he has been spending more than four hours each trip trying to obtain an EIC, and he's been back and forth several times. Though the cards are free, there are transportation costs and fees for supporting documents.

"It turned into a full-time job," he said. "Going here, going there, it'll make you give up."

< 400 voter ID cards processed in 16 months. You're right, that is better than "unelected nominally non-partisan bureaucrats".

Not to mention all of this:

More Texas voter ID facts.
Source: Federal Judge Nelva Gonzalez Ramos’ 147-page opinion, Veasey v. Perry.

Texas has a long history of trying to keep people of color from voting, and had been found in violation of the now-gutted Voting Rights Act in every redistricting cycle since 1970.

• - 14,025,441 Texans are currently registered to vote, according to the Texas Secretary of State.
    - 608,470 (4.5 percent) of registered voters lack qualifying SB 14 ID. 534,512 of these voters voters do not qualify for disability exemptions, that would allow them to mail in their ballots.
    - Low-income people often lack photo ID because they don’t drive, can’t afford alternative photo IDs, or don’t have the birth certificates required for getting SB-14 compliant voter IDs.
    - 2,064,330.18 Texans are seniors, some of whom lack the birth certificates required to get voter IDs because they’ve either lost them or never had one, because their mothers gave birth to them at home.
    - Even younger Texans sometimes lack birth certificates. An estimated 400,000 live in Colonias — remote, substandard rural housing developments — that lack hospitals, roads, and other infrastructure. Mothers generally give birth at home with a midwife.
    21,731 registered voters appear on the “No-Match” list, and are banned from voting because the names on their birth certificates do not match their current photo IDs. This often happens to women who change their names when they get married. Last year, Texas Judge Sandra Watts made headlines when she nearly got turned away from the polls.
    - Hispanic registered voters are 177 percent more likely and Black voters are 271percent more likely than Anglo voters to lack SB-14 compliant ID.
    - Texans lacking ID can get birth certificates for only $2.00, and can then get Election Identification Certificates (EICs). Unfortunately, they have to go to the appropriate office in person. That’s a tall order for those who lack vehicles and/or have to travel great distances.
    - 737,000 citizens of voting age have to travel 90 minutes or more round trip to get to their nearest Department of Public Safety (DPS) office, mobile EIC unit, or county office providing EICs.
    - 596,000 citizens of voting age must travel at least two hours, and over 418,000 face commutes of three hours or more to get to a DPS, mobile EIC unit, or country office..
    Of those who don’t have cars, 87.6 percent face these ridiculously long travel times to get voter identification.

From 2002-2011, only two people were convicted of voter fraud.
The Texas voter ID law is equivalent to a poll tax, because every single form of SB-14 compliant voter ID costs money.
  • EIC-only birth certificate (must go in person) $2.00
    Standard birth certificate $22.00
    Search fee for old birch certificate: $22.00
    Amend birth certificate to reflect current name: $37.00
    Out of state birth certificate fees: $5.00-$34.00
    Texas Driver’s License: $31.00-$71.00
    Texas Personal ID: $28.00-$63.00
    Concealed Handgun License: $79.00-$140.00
    Passport: $30.00-$135.00
    Citizenship Certificate: $345.00-$680.00

If personal stories are more your thing, here are a few to showcase that the struggle is real:

A costly, time-consuming barrier

Jesus Garcia was born in Texas and lives in Mercedes. He was unable to vote with his driver’s license, which expired about a year ago. He went to the Weslaco Department of Public Safety (DPS) office twice and both times was unable to get an ID. His birth certificate was stolen and he does not have a copy. He wants to get identification, but to get both a replacement birth certificate and a new ID would be more than $30 combined. He is working a lot of hours, but money is tight. With rent, water, electricity, and everything else, Mr. Garcia is not sure he will be able to afford those documents, much less before the election.

Even if he does have the money, he will need to go through the whole process of getting the documents and going to the office again, when he has already tried to vote once and gone to a DPS office twice. Mr. Garcia thinks it is unfair that he cannot vote with the documents he has. He was born here and he has an ID with his picture on it; it’s just expired. He has a voter registration card, and voted in past elections.

…Or heroic volunteers step in

Olester McGriff, an African-American man, lives in Dallas. He has voted in several Texas elections. This year when he went to the polls he was unable to vote due to the new photo ID law. Mr. McGriff had a kidney transplant and can no longer drive; his driver’s license expired in 2008. He tried to get an ID twice prior to voting. In May, he visited an office in Grand Prairie and was told he could not get an ID because he was outside of Dallas County. In July, he visited an office in Irving and was told they were out of IDs and would have to come back another day.

He is unable to get around easily. Mr. McGriff got to the polls during early voting because Susan McMinn, an experienced election volunteer, gave him a ride. He brought with him his expired driver’s license, his birth certificate, his voter registration card, and other documentation, but none were sufficient under Texas’s new photo ID requirement. Getting the EIC would have been difficult for him — it would have required multiple additional trips and he cannot drive.

Despite his health and mobility problems, the poll workers did not suggest that he vote by absentee ballot — an option available to him because he had a disability. Eventually, he was given an absentee ballot application, but it was only because, Ms. McMinn, the volunteer, suggested the idea, and then pushed a poll worker to review the rules after having already told Mr. McGriff it was too late. After the poll worker confirmed her mistake, Mr. McGriff was able to get an absentee ballot application. But when he tried to get stamps at the election office, election workers did not inform him that his absentee ballot would include return postage, so Ms. McMinn and Mr. McGriff had to spend additional time driving around in search of postage. Ms. McMinn paid the $2 in postage, as Mr. McGriff is living on a tight budget. She drove him back to drop off his application, and a few days later he successfully voted by mail.

benjipwns

Banned
If a Bolivian voter fails to participate in an election, the citizen may be denied withdrawal of their salary from the bank for three months.
holy shit

Yet they still only got 60% turnout until the last election.

But 102.6% turnout in 1978!

If people are talking hypotheticals I don't know why so many in here mentioned the holiday option for voting. It wouldn't guarantee higher turnout like the other poster said.

Just make voting a mandatory civic duty, it's the most obvious solution. We make jury duty, taxes, licenses etc. mandatory (and those are all worthwhile and should remain mandatory), but not voting? The most important one of all? It's so dumb.

Poll Tax/free speech would stand in the way of law

benjipwns

Banned
IT doesn't eliminate the notion of community representation, (you could have multimember districts too) it eliminates land voting
But how could you do it that it doesn't? The point of Lower Houses is that they bring local concerns/views to the larger bodies, especially on issues that affect those communities. It disenfranchises smaller communities UNLESS they can band together to outweigh the largest community. And even then, that doesn't address the conflicts they have with each other.

The I-75 corridor can win almost any state-wide fight in Michigan if it turns out but I can't fathom any reason we would want it making decisions for the UP. (These are both strong Democrat areas too.)

No it doesn't but its useless arguing this
But it's fun having everyone arguing against freedom of the press. Not to mention association, petition, speech, etc.

benjipwns

Banned
I think in the situation in question you only needed a photo ID to get one of those Gun Permits, but to get a Voter ID card you need proof of citizenship, residency, right to work, and a Photo ID or some nonsense like that. That Michigan Law sounds ridiculous, how was anyone supposed to be able to get one lol?

EDIT: Just realized, nobody was intended to get one...
Looks like they have reorganized it into steps rather than that old system (which was in place more than a decade ago), I think most people would be able to pass this now:
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_8669_9040_9043-312849--,00.html

$10 for the regular ID unless you're 65+ (or a child), $30 for the REAL ID compliant card.

But how could you do it that it doesn't? The point of Lower Houses is that they bring local concerns/views to the larger bodies, especially on issues that affect those communities. It disenfranchises smaller communities UNLESS they can band together to outweigh the largest community. And even then, that doesn't address the conflicts they have with each other..
News to me.

also you're veering into your voluntarism

Angry Fork

Poll Tax/free speech would stand in the way of law

People can still choose none of the above or write-in a name, then we can say if a certain percent of the population chose none of the above then we have to re-do the process with new candidates or something. It's always going to end up in win/win compared to non-mandatory. The benefits far outweigh negatives, and most of these negatives are just libertarian masturbation.

Poll tax is different, we wouldn't charge people to vote we'd charge them if they didn't. It's only a burden if people choose not to do their civic duty, but that applies to other duties and laws too.

http://www.macdonaldforjustice.com/

This woman is listed as "Nonpartisan" on the ballot tomorrow.

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

get rid of nonpartisan voting. you can still run as nonpartisan if you really are. There is no reason why we should hid that information from voters.

(we shouldn't be electing judges though)

People can still choose none of the above or write-in a name, then we can say if a certain percent of the population chose none of the above then we have to re-do the process with new candidates or something. It's always going to end up in win/win compared to non-mandatory. The benefits far outweigh negatives, and most of these negatives are just libertarian masturbation.

Poll tax is different, we wouldn't charge people to vote we'd charge them if they didn't. It's only a burden if people choose not to do their civic duty, but that applies to other duties and laws too.
I'm mainly arguing it wouldn't stand up to a court challenge, you'd need an amendment.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
All Justices for the Supreme Court of Minnesota (and many judges in most states that elect them) are listed non-partisan even though most of the candidates if you do any basic investigation you can tell their "party" or ideology.

It's kind of a stupid rule if you ask me. The point of a party affiliation is to identify individuals by their common and shared philosophy and stances on issues.

Of course when you havea a FPTP election system that dissolves into 2 parties it kind of falls apart, but it still serves a purpose.

get rid of nonpartisan voting. you can still run as nonpartisan if you really are. There is no reason why we should hid that information from voters.

(we shouldn't be electing judges though)

agreed

Also, I can't find anything on the school board members for the local district. Like, ANYTHING.

benjipwns

Banned
News to me.
The King/Elders couldn't know what was going on in all the lands, so the representatives came to him with their petitions/concerns/views. (Generally, give us money, build us things, don't make us get invaded. Same as now.) The meetings were generally once a year and local disputes were handled along with "national" decision making.

The coming together and advisement of Nobles/Clergy/etc. was more common and transitioned into the Upper Houses.

But even they would "poll" the landowners, townsmen and even tenants under their purview, which led to them sending a representative since they had shit to do. This evolved into the Lower Houses.

The United States has made it even more explicit when designing the Lower House with residency requirements. In the UK, Canada, etc. I think you can just run for whatever seat you want even if it's 5000 miles away and you've never seen it.

It's kind of a stupid rule if you ask me. The point of a party affiliation is to identify individuals by their common and shared philosophy and stances on issues.
It's because judges are supposed to be above petty politics. And simply judge via divine instruction.

Also, I can't find anything on the school board members for the local district. Like, ANYTHING.
http://www.vote411.org/ might have something.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The King/Elders couldn't know what was going on in all the lands, so the representatives came to him with their petitions/concerns/views. (Generally, give us money, build us things, don't make us get invaded. Same as now.) The meetings were generally once a year and local disputes were handled along with "national" decision making.

The coming together and advisement of Nobles/Clergy/etc. was more common and transitioned into the Upper Houses.

But even they would "poll" the landowners, townsmen and even tenants under their purview, which led to them sending a representative since they had shit to do. This evolved into the Lower Houses.

The United States has made it even more explicit when designing the Lower House with residency requirements. In the UK, Canada, etc. I think you can just run for whatever seat you want even if it's 5000 miles away and you've never seen it.

It's because judges are supposed to be above petty politics. And simply judge via divine instruction.

http://www.vote411.org/ might have something.

Already tried. And Nope. Not even listed.

ivysaur12

Banned
@Nate_Cohn
Colorado update: 1,586,226 votes counted, R 39.7, D 32.2

@Nate_Cohn
Those figures include a sizable 36706 votes from Denver/Boulder out of the 209303 received so far today

@Nate_Cohn
Among ballots counted so far today, it's R 34.8, D 31.4. I

7.5 R difference, up R+ .7 from 2010.

Numbers are still being counted.

EDIT:

&#8207;@Nate_Cohn
Today's pace wouldn't get Dems where they want to be. Another 500,000 ballots at this pace would yield R+6.6 at 2.086m votes.

&#8207;@Nate_Cohn
Democrats should hope that there are additional Denver/Boulder ballots tonight, and then Dems would still need to far much better tmro

Hey, I said weekend.
Good point, however I suspect the same factors that lead people to not vote on a holiday will lead them to not vote on the weekend. People use free days to do things that they want to do or absolutely have to do. (Not that I have any academic research showing that.)

Last weekend, I worked my ass off in the yard. Next weekend, we're looking to go out of town for a bunch of family birthdays. Fitting in a chore that has very little consequence if I skip is an annoying interruption to my free day. Meanwhile, even though I have a full Tuesday tomorrow, since I'm fortunately enough to live in a state and county that has a functional election process, I know I can pop in and out of my polling place in the 20 minutes I have between work and picking my daughter up from dance. My wife knows she can stop in and vote after picking up our son from daycare. It's a quick, minor errand that we can fit in just as we would fit in a milk run or gassing up the car.

Personally, my electoral reforms would be:
  • Computer drawn districts (bit biased, but I like Iowa's approach)
  • Optical scan ballots (no electronic machines, no online voting, if you want to steal an election, you're going to have to leave a literal paper trail)
  • Allow absentee voting for any reason, however, no official encouragement for people to use it (mass absentee voting extends voting period and increases cost of campaigning)
  • Keep Election Day per status quo, first Tuesday after first Monday of November, not a mandated holiday (changing introduces confusion)
  • No voter ID, but have to provide your information unprompted for poll workers to check if you're registered
  • Same day registration, with whatever is normally required to establish eligibility, votes would be provisional, but provisional votes would be required to be processed by the official canvas.
  • Limited early polling locations (too costly, open to partisan politics, and yes, too open to fraud)
  • Extended polling hours on Election Day (at least 7a-8p, preferably 6a-9p or longer)

Oh ok, my bad.

Anyone in NY care about what's been going on with Working Families Party and Cuomo? You guys voting WFP or Green?

This would be the only time I'd support a 3rd party. Cuomo needs to be sent a message and its safe enough that his opponent won't win.

Who is the WFP candidate? I know new york is weird

Good point, however I suspect the same factors that lead people to not vote on a holiday will lead them to not vote on the weekend. People use free days to do things that they want to do or absolutely have to do. (Not that I have any academic research showing that.)

Last weekend, I worked my ass off in the yard. Next weekend, we're looking to go out of town for a bunch of family birthdays. Fitting in a chore that has very little consequence if I skip is an annoying interruption to my free day. Meanwhile, even though I have a full Tuesday tomorrow, since I'm fortunately enough to live in a state and county that has a functional election process, I know I can pop in and out of my polling place in the 20 minutes I have between work and picking my daughter up from dance. My wife knows she can stop in and vote after picking up our son from daycare. It's a quick, minor errand that we can fit in just as we would fit in a milk run or gassing up the car.

Personally, my electoral reforms would be:
  • Computer drawn districts (bit biased, but I like Iowa's approach)
  • Optical scan ballots (no electronic machines, no online voting, if you want to steal an election, you're going to have to leave a literal paper trail)
  • Allow absentee voting for any reason, however, no official encouragement for people to use it (mass absentee voting extends voting period and increases cost of campaigning)
  • Keep Election Day per status quo, first Tuesday after first Monday of November, not a mandated holiday (changing introduces confusion)
  • No voter ID, but have to provide your information unprompted for poll workers to check if you're registered
  • Same day registration, with whatever is normally required to establish eligibility, votes would be provisional, but provisional votes would be required to be processed by the official canvas.
  • Limited early polling locations (too costly, open to partisan politics, and yes, too open to fraud)
  • Extended polling hours on Election Day (at least 7a-8p, preferably 6a-9p or longer)
Church on Sunday. Families are together, etc.

I don't think those states send kids home from school and there isn't a reason to leave the house.

I disagree with a lot of your proposals because they seem needless (are we really worried about the cost of running elections?) why no promotion of alternative forms of voting?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This would be the only time I'd support a 3rd party. Cuomo needs to be sent a message and its safe enough that his opponent won't win.

Cuomo is. WFP needs 50,000 votes to be granted stay on the next ballot I think, which Cuomo might be trying to stop them from getting by him forming that new WEP party, but it's possible WFP needs to be taught a lesson too for endorsing Cuomo as their candidate.

I'd go Green Party.

And yes, New York ballots are weird.

Cuomo is. WFP needs 50,000 votes to be granted stay on the next ballot I think, which Cuomo might be trying to stop them from getting by him forming that new WEP party, but it's possible WFP needs to be taught a lesson too for endorsing Cuomo as their candidate.

I'd go Green Party.

And yes, New York ballots are weird.

Who ran teachout?

Do you believe judges should have the ability to deny bail?

Its a hard question.

On one hand, if a billionaire commits a heinous crime, and the judge sets a $10 MILLION bail...the guy can still pay the fee and then flee to be free.

No bail prevents that.

On the other hand, slippery slope. Oh, black dude allegedly punched a cop? No bail.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

They did a similar thing in California when I tried to apply for welfare. I'm not a citizen but I am a permanent resident and while I was eligible for aid, I wouldn't be able to receive it until I showed them my birth certificate. I had a green card, but they didn't deem that acceptable. Of course, the problem is that in order for me to get a green card in the first place, I would have to have shown my birth certificate at one point!

Fucking Republicans.

Its a hard question.

On one hand, if a billionaire commits a heinous crime, and the judge sets a $10 MILLION bail...the guy can still pay the fee and then flee to be free.

No bail prevents that.

On the other hand, slippery slope. Oh, black dude allegedly punched a cop? No bail.

Personally I'd be for it. There are ways to prevent the later. Letting murders/violent offenders/flight risks go free if the pay bail is iffy.

The amendment allows the legislature to set the regulations.

Angry Fork

It's Cuomo because WFP picked pragmatism (or what they think is pragmatism) over principles and endorsed him instead of Teachout or Hawkins. So lots of people on the left including me are upset and voting Green instead.

But like the other guy said WFP needs a certain amount of votes to stay on the ticket. People who are still voting WFP despite being angry about them supporting Cuomo say it's because WFP's survival matters more in the long term.

Who ran teachout?

She was in the democratic primary here for governor and ended up getting 33% of the vote. If WFP had backed her instead of Cuomo it could've been much more. The results were more salt in the wound but proof that people here really do want a more leftist option than Cuomo, but WFP didn't have the balls to go through with it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Who ran teachout?
Public Employees Federation endorsed her but I think she ran as a generic Democrat through getting enough signatures from other democrats. Though someone from New York might know how that all works better than I.

In any case, the WFP endorsement does seem like one of the most dumb endorsements imaginable. Of course Cuomo was going to stab them the back, and they actually had a legit chance to take him out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's Cuomo because WFP picked pragmatism (or what they think is pragmatism) over principles and endorsed him instead of Teachout or Hawkins. So lots of people on the left including me are upset and voting Green instead.

But like the other guy said WFP needs a certain amount of votes to stay on the ticket. People who are still voting WFP despite being angry about them supporting Cuomo say it's because WFP's survival matters more in the long term.

She was in the democratic primary here for governor and ended up getting 33% of the vote. If WFP had backed her instead of Cuomo it could've been much more. The results were more salt in the wound but proof that people here really do want a more leftist option than Cuomo, but WFP didn't have the balls to go through with it.

WFP wants to keep their position on the ballot, that's all. They think if they drop then they won't be as influential. They didn't get nothing though as Cuomo is looking to raise the minimum wage again after the election as a result of their work.

Angry Fork

WFP wants to keep their position on the ballot, that's all. They think if they drop then they won't be as influential. They didn't get nothing though as Cuomo is looking to raise the minimum wage again after the election as a result of their work.

If he raises it at all it will not be enough. WFP asked for the right of NYC to determine it's own living wage, separate from Albany, something he's consistently been opposed to.

He can't even support raising taxes on the rich for basic public services, something someone as milquetoast as Obama at least supports in theory.

&#8220;Now, do you have some voices on the left that are impossible to placate in any realistic way? Yeah &#8230; Ask yourself: If he were more liberal, he would have done what? What more could I have possibly done? You&#8217;re gonna use the tax code just to take money from the rich and give it to the poor? That&#8217;s not liberalism. That&#8217;s confiscation!

Part of the blame goes to DeBlasio too though, who has become an Obama-lite, doing things he ran against. It's not been all bad, but when it comes to the NYPD and supporting Cuomo he's been shit. Some of his policies like the affordable housing scheme is just an extension of Bloomberg's as well.

^didn't he also say he was going after the teachers union?

Public Employees Federation endorsed her but I think she ran as a generic Democrat through getting enough signatures from other democrats. Though someone from New York might know how that all works better than I.

In any case, the WFP endorsement does seem like one of the most dumb endorsements imaginable. Of course Cuomo was going to stab them the back, and they actually had a legit chance to take him out.

Ah, I see.

It be tough, I think the WFP viability is important for pushing leftwards but they were pretty stupid to trust cuomo.

IDK how I'd vote, if WFP was safe I'd go green other wise with them.

I disagree with a lot of your proposals because they seem needless (are we really worried about the cost of running elections?) why no promotion of alternative forms of voting?
What are you talking about, people bitch all the time about the cost of elections! San Francisco was going to experiment havign their polls open on Saturday, and it was going to cost $2.4 million to get, at most ~150,000 additional voters (that would've represented about 100% turnout.) $16/vote for the absurdly pie-in-the-sky best case scenario. Then there's the cost of the campaigns, extended voting windows means higher campaign costs, and there's tons of bitching about those costs.

As for other early voting alternatives, I'm fine with them, I just don't think officials should rely on them as much as the actual Election Day. I think treating Election Day as a kind of a "flag day" is better from a marketing perspective to get everyone to do a particular thing, otherwise may become this chore that people keep putting off until all of the sudden they realize they've procrastinated too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom