• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
It'd be funny if it weren't true!

Seriously, Blanche Lincoln is an American hero (I mean, for a very specific category of American hero). She had to know it would be the end of her political career in Arkansas if she voted for Obamacare, and she went ahead and provided that vote in order to get healthcare reform passed. Spend that political capital!

Of course apparently she works for the NFIB now, but, you know, that's how Washington goes.

NeoXChaos

Seriously, Blanche Lincoln is an American hero (I mean, for a very specific category of American hero). She had to know it would be the end of her political career in Arkansas if she voted for Obamacare, and she went ahead and provided that vote in order to get healthcare reform passed. Spend that political capital!

Of course apparently she works for the NFIB now, but, you know, that's how Washington goes.

which is why no one should have been surprised Pryor got blown away last year. Say would you will about Ben Nelson, Lieberman etc. They got it done in the end on Health Care. Without those "Moderate" and "Conservative" Democrats we would not have healthcare reform. Despite many of us criticizing them for being Republican lite even though it was meaningless in the end. Republican lite is better than an actual Republican.

Yeah except she torpedoed a public option (which her website listed her in support of even after the Senate bill passed) to try and save face.

I mean Lieberman would have gotten rid of it anyway. But he wasn't around much longer in the Senate either. Every fucking conservadem who compromised the bill further either retired or lost reelection.

But I'm glad after these excessions were contracted so we got some Republican support in the form of Olympia Snowe. Oh wait

A lot of new faces could pop up in ten years, but yeah, they're absolutely part of the rising star class.

I'd also take a Harris/Heitkamp ticket, of course.

Booker needs to do something in the senate. Its not for a lack of trying but being their might hurt him as he can't point to accomplishments. The republican senate class has the same issue, disfunction hurts them because they have nothing but book and speeches to their name, case in point Rubio. When asked by an orlando paper this is what he listed as accomplishments

r6vgjQk.png
Gave speeches.

ivysaur12

Banned
Booker needs to do something in the senate. Its not for a lack of trying but being their might hurt him as he can't point to accomplishments. The republican senate class has the same issue, disfunction hurts them because they have nothing but book and speeches to their name, case in point Rubio. When asked by an orlando paper this is what he listed as accomplishments

Gave speeches.

Not Tom Cotton! Tom Cotton's done things!

Diablos

Trump is making Rubio and Jeb! look so moderate.
Just noticed your post -- but I often wonder if that's the point. Trump probably doesn't care about his chances and is intentionally misrepresenting the political spectrum of all candidates to benefit the GOP. It's certainly possible.

Yeah except she torpedoed a public option (which her website listed her in support of even after the Senate bill passed) to try and save face.
Stuff like this makes me feel no remorse for the fact that she lost her seat. She had no spine, absolutely no spine whatsoever. She lost anyway because of the voting trends/demographics in her state topped by the Tea Party wave. So instead of losing with her head held high she did so like a coward.

Maybe I'm sounding like an asshole because she still voted for the ACA... but in reality I'm just pissed at how Democrats responded (or didn't) to the looming criss for them that was the 2010 election.

They were going to lose big anyway, but they could have had more of a plan to minimize the losses.

NeoXChaos

Just noticed your post -- but I often wonder if that's the point. Trump probably doesn't care about his chances and is intentionally misrepresenting the political spectrum of all candidates to benefit the GOP. It's certainly possible.

Stuff like this makes me feel no remorse for the fact that she lost her seat. She had no spine, absolutely no spine whatsoever. She lost anyway because of the voting trends/demographics in her state topped by the Tea Party wave. So instead of losing with her head held high she did so like a coward.

Maybe I'm sounding like an asshole because she still voted for the ACA... but in reality I'm just pissed at how Democrats responded (or didn't) to the looming criss for them that was the 2010 election.

They were going to lose big anyway, but they could have had more of a plan to minimize the losses.

I doubt the democrats knew that themselves or could have really done anything about it. They were screwed regardless of the HealthCare bill. Unemployment ticked up to 10% when Christie and McDonnell got elected. Scott Brown won the special a few months later. Everything after that was a downward spiral.

If you thought they should have rammed a bunch of legislation through Congress..then that is up for debate in hindsight....not at that moment in time. The old way of shielding members from tough votes worked well up to that point. It sadly does not work anymore as polarization has taken hold.

If you show me a post of yours or anyone's from 2009(early) telling Obama and the Dems to cram legislation through since they are gonna lose the House anyway I will be impressed.

HylianTom

Banned
This may be interesting..

Ted Cruz and Donald Trump to Meet in NYC
Republican presidential contenders Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and billionaire developer Donald Trump will meet Wednesday at Trump Tower in New York City.

The meeting was confirmed by Republican Party members familiar with each campaign, The Washington Post reports. Aides to both candidates declined to comment on the matter.

"I like Donald Trump," he told Chuck Todd in a "Meet the Press" interview earlier this month on NBC. "He’s bold, he’s brash."

Cruz blamed "the Washington cartel" for avoiding the immigration issue and encouraging "Republican-on-Republican violence."

"I salute Donald Trump for focusing on the need to address illegal immigration," Cruz said. "The Washington cartel doesn't want to address that.

"The Washington cartel doesn't believe that we should secure the borders. The Washington cartel supports amnesty, and I salute Donald Trump for focusing on it."

Trump, for his part, praised Cruz for his support, telling CNN this month: "I shouldn't say this because, I assume, he's an opponent, but the fact is he was very brave in coming out."
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump-meet-republicans/2015/07/14/id/657090/

Yeah.. I know.. newsmax. Still a bit intriguing. I'd love to see them team-up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This may be interesting..

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump-meet-republicans/2015/07/14/id/657090/

Yeah.. I know.. newsmax. Still a bit intriguing. I'd love to see them team-up.

Could you imagine if they formed a final ticket already? Trump/Cruz right from the start? They'd be tag teaming everyone else, it'd be a cornucopia of stupidity. Dear god, this could be the most amazing thing in the history of everything. My comedy option is turning out better than I could possibly have imagined!

h3VUZuh.jpg

Generalizing mexican migrants as rapists in what can be charitably termed an unfortunate misstatement has transformed into telling the truth about immigration. Smh

HylianTom

Banned
That would be two years to ram everything through. Extra Senate padding for 2018.

Trump-Cruz or Cruz-Trump would be the stuff of dreams.

Tamanon

Banned
Meh, Trump's not going anywhere. 17% is nothing this early. He hasn't even had to campaign really yet. Just Dem pipe dreams now.

So I looked up Danny Casolaro and I admit it is a bit strange. Duder claimed that he found evidence of an Illuminati organization and suddenly committed a very bloody "suicide" despite being squeamish of blood.

Diablos

I doubt the democrats knew that themselves or could have really done anything about it. They were screwed regardless of the HealthCare bill. Unemployment ticked up to 10% when Christie and McDonnell got elected. Scott Brown won the special a few months later. Everything after that was a downward spiral.

If you thought they should have rammed a bunch of legislation through Congress..then that is up for debate in hindsight....not at that moment in time. The old way of shielding members from tough votes worked well up to that point. It sadly does not work anymore as polarization has taken hold.

If you show me a post of yours or anyone's from 2009(early) telling Obama and the Dems to cram legislation through since they are gonna lose the House anyway I will be impressed.
They were going to lose the house anyway. I have no objections to Obama's domestic agenda in his first two years, he did a lot with the Congress he had. I'm more upset at the PR aspect of how certain Democrats handled it; I remember then-Senator Lincoln trying to save face on the news, and it just came off as being really cowardly and back-stabby to serve a means to which there would not even be an end, other than humiliating defeat. Stand up for what you did; don't pretend you are something else.

HylianTom

Banned
I can't see Bush winning over the base. it's going to be Walker/Rubio.
If he does, they're going to have turnout and enthusiasm problems. It could cost them dearly on downticket items. There have been a few polls showing that the "would not support if nominated" numbers were really significant.

I'm sure that the "would not support" numbers will decline once the focus turns to Hillary as the opponent, but there's still going to be that hard-headed sliver on the right that refuses to budge.

Cheebo

Banned
Bush is this cycle's Romney.

Although I can see an argument that this election cycle no-one wants another Romney
Romney won by default, there was no candidate in 2012 that the base loved. The base loves Walker. The only guy the Christian right, tea party crazies, and "mainstream" conservatives all seem to equally praise.

And like you said no one wants another Romney. They want their candidate they can fall for, which is Walker. They want someone to energize the base. They want to copy what Obama did.

RDreamer

Hello again PoliGAF. I find myself yet again frothing at the mouth because another Wisconsin politician is on the national stage giving us a bad name. You know what that likely means? I'm getting back into politics!

... at least a little bit.

I've missed you guys since I last frequented this thread. Work got pretty hectic and following the day to day on politics kind of fell by the wayside. Work's sporadically hectic and less so nowadays, but a bit more under control overall, so you'll probably see me here a bit more often.

Good to know we're all still worrying about Diablos worrying about everything.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Stuff like this makes me feel no remorse for the fact that she lost her seat. She had no spine, absolutely no spine whatsoever. She lost anyway because of the voting trends/demographics in her state topped by the Tea Party wave. So instead of losing with hehead held high she did so like a coward.

If nothing else, the takeaway of 2010 for Dems shpuld be that you don't earn any points from teabaggers for moderating your positions. When you go in, you go all the way, and HARD.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Romney won by default, there was no candidate in 2012 that the base loved. The base loves Walker. The only guy the Christian right, tea party crazies, and "mainstream" conservatives all seem to equally praise.

And like you said no one wants another Romney. They want their candidate they can fall for, which is Walker. They want someone to energize the base. They want to copy what Obama did.

Except recent polls show otherwise.

Also, LOL at the entire "The GOP needs to energize the base!" argument. The base ALWAYS votes. ALWAYS. They also ALWAYS fall in line behind the GOP candidate.

RDreamer

Not only does the base love Walker, but they just might fall for the delusion that he can beat Hillary because he won in a blue state twice and survived a recall in that same state. The base tends to be energized early, but then the ultimate question the right seems to ask themselves near the end is "Can he win in a general election?"

They might just believe that with Walker. Not sure if they've deluded themselves enough to think another Bush has a better chance in a general than Walker does.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not only does the base love Walker, but they just might fall for the delusion that he can beat Hillary because he won in a blue state twice and survived a recall in that same state. The base tends to be energized early, but then the ultimate question the right seems to ask themselves near the end is "Can he win in a general election?"

They might just believe that with Walker. Not sure if they've deluded themselves enough to think another Bush has a better chance in a general than Walker does.

Again, look at the recent polls. Bush does a far better job against Hilary than Walker does in a general election poll.

RDreamer

Again, look at the recent polls. Bush does a far better job against Hilary than Walker does in a general election poll.

That's also probably because he has bigger name recognition among those being polled for now. Once we're down to 3 or 4 republicans left in the primary we'll obviously have better numbers.

I'm not saying Walker's a shoe in over Bush. I'm just saying they could go with that logic in my post.

The funny thing is that Bush probably does better in a general because he's more sensible on immigration. I don't know if he can convince the primary voters on that trade off.

T'Zariah

Banned
GAF need your help.
Doing a presentation for a class and I'm doing money in politics any good resources I can use or well done articles on the problem with Super PACs?

NeoXChaos

That's also probably because he has bigger name recognition among those being polled for now. Once we're down to 3 or 4 republicans left in the primary we'll obviously have better numbers.

I'm not saying Walker's a shoe in over Bush. I'm just saying they could go with that logic in my post.

The funny thing is that Bush probably does better in a general because he's more sensible on immigration. I don't know if he can convince the primary voters on that trade off.

It is ultimately going to be whether the base goes with their heart who is Walker or their head which will be Bush. If the race was between just Walker and Bush, Walker should be able to win. Both will have the money to sink and cancel each other out. I still think the establishment like Plinko is alluding to will somehow be able to save Bush. Bush right now has the electibility argument. Can Walker claim it 7 months from now as candidates drop out and it becomes a 2 man race.

The math is there for Walker. Can he do what previous conservative alternatives have failed to do since Reagan? Remains to be seen

Farmboy

A couple of months ago I was certain it was going to be Walker. Now? His poll numbers have sagged while Bush has remained strong.

But we're still in the midst of Trump-mania. Walker has suffered a lot from that (not as badly as Rubio, but still). It remains to be seen how long it lasts and how things look once it dies down (or once it doesn't). The base could start to coalesce around Walker again as the anyone-but-Bush candidate, as was happening before the Trump-bomb dropped. Then things will likely go as Cheebs implies, with the party preferring Walker above another Romney-like middle-of-the-road pick like Bush.

So, somewhat ironically, Bush may need Trump to stick around so he can position himself as the anyone-but-Trump candidate.

I think I'd prefer Walker as an opponent, as Bush seems more electable. But at least we wouldn't have to hear the 'royal family' argument as much if Bush were the opponent. Also, in the nightmare scenario that the GOP pulls off a win, Bush would probably be a less terrible president.

Who do you guys think is stronger in the General? Bush or Walker?

Cheebo

Banned
I think Bush is stronger. He has an ability to come off as moderate and tolerant in a way his brother was not (even though most of his policies are just as right-wing as the rest outside of not coming across as a racist when it comes to immigration). He can do this in a way I do not think Walker can not.

But being able to be seen as moderate is a turn-off for the base.

Plinko

A couple of months ago I was certain it was going to be Walker. Now? His poll numbers have sagged while Bush has remained strong.

But we're still in the midst of Trump-mania. Walker has suffered a lot from that (not as badly as Rubio, but still). It remains to be seen how long it lasts and how things look once it dies down (or once it doesn't). The base could start to coalesce around Walker again as the anyone-but-Bush candidate, as was happening before the Trump-bomb dropped. Then things will likely go as Cheebs implies, with the party preferring Walker above another Romney-like middle-of-the-road pick like Bush.

So, somewhat ironically, Bush may need Trump to stick around so he can position himself as the anyone-but-Trump candidate.

I think I'd prefer Walker as an opponent, as Bush seems more electable. But at least we wouldn't have to hear the 'royal family' argument as much if Bush were the opponent. Also, in the nightmare scenario that the GOP pulls off a win, Bush would probably be a less terrible president.

Bush, easily. It's not even close. Walker's record is disastrous for anybody but those on the far right.

Kasich and Martinez are the best choices for the GOP VP.

My only question is if Kasich wants to really be a VP candidate. I feel like it's all or nothing for him in 2016.

If he's the VP nominee and loses, I think his chances for 2020 are worse than if he finishes his term in office and gets two years of time to do a speech tour and build his name up that way. Losing VP nominees generally never get another shot at the presidency; the last one was Bob Dole, and he had to wait 20 years for that chance.

I have been listening to michael savage under duress today and he said that any agreement with a terrorist state is a bad one.

He must still be furious about iran contra then

Other people have pointed to the recent polls that clearly shows Walker is getting drowned out right now. I think the thing is that while Walker's record is what hardcore conservatives should want, he's just boring. Tea party Republicans want a Sarah Palin maverick type, not someone who looks and talks like a small-time accountant. Given how little attraction he has for moderate voters thats going to be a real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom